Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Wizard of the Deep posted:

This may be the closest end-game I get until/unless the Boston comes out.
:negative:
I can't use the fact that you can find where I live on the bottom panel to justify backing this...... right???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Stroop There It Is posted:

:negative:
I can't use the fact that you can find where I live on the bottom panel to justify backing this...... right???

Just sounds like more of a reason to back it to me.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Drop just announced their Shift High-Profile keyboard, and I think it hits all the points I want: High-profile, removable cable, 1800 layout, and available in black. The worst part is it doesn't ship until next summer.

I've got the standard (low-profile) Shift in silver, and I like it. I just wish it were black and high profile. Since the majority of the community seems to hate numpads, this seems like my best bet. This may be the closest end-game I get until/unless the Boston comes out.

Neither Wyvern or Southpaw75 have gone to groupbuy yet, if you like lefties.
Zambumon Sar is gonna be unlimited groupbuy so there's a 100% chance of getting it. https://zambumon.com/sar/

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

loving LOL at this PCB art:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sigh. Trying to glue it back together with Gorilla Glue, but I have no idea if that will work.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm way too infatuated with the profile (and everything else) of this keyboard, goddamn.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

Sigh. Trying to glue it back together with Gorilla Glue, but I have no idea if that will work.
Your avatar makes me believe the cat is to blame

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

So I had a sticky keyboard from a spill, and then I started cleaning it with alcohol and now... one of the keys is randomly giving me either repeated inputs or dropped inputs. How do I fix this?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Yeah it's a real good lookin one. It does not look inexpensive though.

anothergod posted:

So I had a sticky keyboard from a spill, and then I started cleaning it with alcohol and now... one of the keys is randomly giving me either repeated inputs or dropped inputs. How do I fix this?

Buy another keyboard? What keyboard is it?

Gearman posted:

loving LOL at this PCB art:

In think there's talk of changing it since it's not his own art (that was the entire point of the last IC iirc.), but I am 100% in for GetawayVan to toss in the Campsite case that I WILL ABSOLUTELY OWN.

something something 40% gang. GIB AVE

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 19, 2020

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

teethgrinder posted:

Your avatar makes me believe the cat is to blame

Nope! Alllll me.

Apparently you’re not supposed to have the feet up anyway for ergonomic reasons so eh.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

In think there's talk of changing it since it's not his own art (that was the entire point of the last IC iirc.), but I am 100% in for GetawayVan to toss in the Campsite case that I WILL ABSOLUTELY OWN.

something something 40% gang. GIB AVE

If this had 1 more row I'd consider parting with a kidney to buy one.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

LochNessMonster posted:

If this had 1 more row I'd consider parting with a kidney to buy one.

you mean like this?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'd like a case like this to put a raspberry in. Considered making my own some years ago but never did. Still want.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I had a stray thought like "what if new gaming keyboard", started doing some research, fell down some rabbit holes, started looking at $200+ hall effect monstrosities like the Steelseries Apex, then fell down some further rabbit holes and am close to preordering an Input Club Keystone with tactile hall effect switches. I need an intervention, talk me out of this, he;lp

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TheFluff posted:

I had a stray thought like "what if new gaming keyboard", started doing some research, fell down some rabbit holes, started looking at $200+ hall effect monstrosities like the Steelseries Apex, then fell down some further rabbit holes and am close to preordering an Input Club Keystone with tactile hall effect switches. I need an intervention, talk me out of this, he;lp

The only board I've tried with hall effects was the APT one and it sucked incredible rear end, that's my story. If you like tactile feels then just get Kailh clickbar switches and embrace the fact that you'll need RTX voice to filter out the glorious clacking from any typing you do.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I got some Boba U4 testers and woooow these are quiet, can’t wait to fill a board with these.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Like this but in ortho. The getaway van is ortho by the looks of it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

TheFluff posted:

Don't order the keystone unless you're prepared to wait until Fall 2021

quote:

TL;DR: Keystone is getting closer to production! We’re working to begin fulfillment in early-mid 2021. Production should begin before Chinese New Year, but this may vary based on tooling completion times. Getting an accurate schedule is nearly impossible; unfortunately this is the norm right now throughout the enthusiast keyboard industry.

My TLDR: as of a month ago they think they've finalized the PCBs, "Case designs are 95% complete". That project is nowhere near shipping.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Gwaihir posted:

The only board I've tried with hall effects was the APT one and it sucked incredible rear end, that's my story. If you like tactile feels then just get Kailh clickbar switches and embrace the fact that you'll need RTX voice to filter out the glorious clacking from any typing you do.

Why did it suck rear end?

I've never really used linears at all, that's why I was thinking about the Keystone tactile variant. The silly thing is though that tactile hall effect switches seem kinda like a contradictory design - you get contactless switches because they're contactless and therefore smooth, but introducing a tactile spring to it all seems like it's kinda going against that? I also already have two excellent tactile boards I love, a Matias Quiet Click for work and an AEK I at home. The AEK doesn't come out as often as I'd like though, for a multitude of reasons.

mewse posted:

Don't order the keystone unless you're prepared to wait until Fall 2021

My TLDR: as of a month ago they think they've finalized the PCBs, "Case designs are 95% complete". That project is nowhere near shipping.

yeah there's this as well

Thanks both of you for saving me from spending a lot of money for no reason, at least for now.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

ijyt posted:

I got some Boba U4 testers and woooow these are quiet, can’t wait to fill a board with these.
This is why I've put Bobas on most keys and Box Navies on stuff like enter, capslock, and esc in my ~new GMMK~ (thanks interrodactyl!). I don't go nuts from too much clicking, and still get that tasty CLACK and super tactile kachonk from a select few. Just ordered a bunch of 62g Bobas to swap out the 68g ones on the alphas coz they're a bit tiring to type on.

I do find the clicking from the Box Whites on non-alphas on my VA87 a bit irritating, perhaps because they're significantly higher-pitched than the Navies and Jades? Especially since the Zealios on this feel and sound great. Maybe someday I'll open it up and try desoldering them...

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TheFluff posted:

Why did it suck rear end?

I've never really used linears at all, that's why I was thinking about the Keystone tactile variant. The silly thing is though that tactile hall effect switches seem kinda like a contradictory design - you get contactless switches because they're contactless and therefore smooth, but introducing a tactile spring to it all seems like it's kinda going against that? I also already have two excellent tactile boards I love, a Matias Quiet Click for work and an AEK I at home. The AEK doesn't come out as often as I'd like though, for a multitude of reasons.

yeah there's this as well

Thanks both of you for saving me from spending a lot of money for no reason, at least for now.

To elaborate more, at least in the case of the APT board, the switches were a scratchy, rattly mess, and were also very inconsistent in weighting and feel. I don't think that's inherently a problem with any hall effect switch (although yeah I think getting a design that is specifically contactless and then making it a tactile switch is pointless), but just that the ones I got were a basket case and I don't think there's exactly a ton of people making them.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Stroop There It Is posted:

This is why I've put Bobas on most keys and Box Navies on stuff like enter, capslock, and esc in my ~new GMMK~ (thanks interrodactyl!). I don't go nuts from too much clicking, and still get that tasty CLACK and super tactile kachonk from a select few. Just ordered a bunch of 62g Bobas to swap out the 68g ones on the alphas coz they're a bit tiring to type on.

I do find the clicking from the Box Whites on non-alphas on my VA87 a bit irritating, perhaps because they're significantly higher-pitched than the Navies and Jades? Especially since the Zealios on this feel and sound great. Maybe someday I'll open it up and try desoldering them...

Oooh, putting something more substantial on Enter/Escape/etc sounds like a good shout. I'm now getting super torn up over which board I want to actually get. The GMMK Pro looks real neat (I put in a deposit), and it'd be nice to try an ANSI layout, but I just came across the CU80 and I love the price and simple design. Compare that to the price of the Mode Eighty and yeah, I'm struggling to see what the Eighty brings to the table for that price versus the CU80.

If I'm gonna be dropping close to $500 on a keyboard it's gonna be on something like the Cloudline with all that nice brass and poo poo.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

ijyt posted:

Oooh, putting something more substantial on Enter/Escape/etc sounds like a good shout. I'm now getting super torn up over which board I want to actually get. The GMMK Pro looks real neat (I put in a deposit), and it'd be nice to try an ANSI layout, but I just came across the CU80 and I love the price and simple design. Compare that to the price of the Mode Eighty and yeah, I'm struggling to see what the Eighty brings to the table for that price versus the CU80.

If I'm gonna be dropping close to $500 on a keyboard it's gonna be on something like the Cloudline with all that nice brass and poo poo.

Starting off by not defending the pricing on the Mode Eighty.

The CU80: already doing GB round 3 and still haven't delivered GB round 2 which they did same thing with round 1 if I recall correctly. Additionally, the Mode is a high profile case design with what appears to be a much more complicated assembly, multiple layers for the plate and PCB assembly, separate USB PCB, multiple layout support. Additionally, it looks like the Mode guys are fronting a lot of capital to massively shorten the delivery time instead of the traditional GB model of collect all the money and then use that to get manufacturing started which hopefully you see something in 6 months to a year. I recently participated in the TX Keyboard EO-87, that being a GB plus COVID times ended up being 7 almost 8 months to delivery.

Again, not really going to bat for the Mode guys, just what I'm seeing. I have two Rama U80a keyboards on order that I won't see till what Q3 next year? I hadn't heard of the Mode Eighty, but I am going to snag one as I can get a colorway that I want, deep (navy).

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The Electronaut posted:

Starting off by not defending the pricing on the Mode Eighty.

The CU80: already doing GB round 3 and still haven't delivered GB round 2 which they did same thing with round 1 if I recall correctly. Additionally, the Mode is a high profile case design with what appears to be a much more complicated assembly, multiple layers for the plate and PCB assembly, separate USB PCB, multiple layout support. Additionally, it looks like the Mode guys are fronting a lot of capital to massively shorten the delivery time instead of the traditional GB model of collect all the money and then use that to get manufacturing started which hopefully you see something in 6 months to a year. I recently participated in the TX Keyboard EO-87, that being a GB plus COVID times ended up being 7 almost 8 months to delivery.

Again, not really going to bat for the Mode guys, just what I'm seeing. I have two Rama U80a keyboards on order that I won't see till what Q3 next year? I hadn't heard of the Mode Eighty, but I am going to snag one as I can get a colorway that I want, deep (navy).

All fair points - from what I've read about the CU80 guys, I think it's because they were getting safety certifications for their poo poo as they registered as a company, which put a delay on everything.

e: I do really like the eWhite Mode Eighty tho, and the black polished one, just a shame you won't really see that part of it.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 21, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

MKUltra loving rules and I cannot shill them enough.
Everyone go pay them a visit.

https://mkultra.click/

Go buy KAT Napoleonic while you're there.

I'm not sure I like what they're doing with their shipping costs at the moment; they want $50 to ship a keycap set domestically and a couple of months ago they were asking $7 to ship the exact same order.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

TheFluff posted:

I have been super pleased by my steel series apex tkl, if that helps. It unfortunately didn’t stop me from chasing the perfect keyboard dragon, but I would still recommend it to anyone wanting a linear mechanical with media controls.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

TheFluff posted:

This has been in preorder forever on Kono's website.
Waitlist opened in like March of 2019.

If that thing delivers next year I'll be shocked. Moreso if it's problem-free.

Midjack posted:

I'm not sure I like what they're doing with their shipping costs at the moment; they want $50 to ship a keycap set domestically and a couple of months ago they were asking $7 to ship the exact same order.

Something is hosed with their shipping. Some dude tried to order like a dozen JTK trays and shipping came out to $9 but he got an email later saying "actually shipping is $50 either pay up or cancel order."
Email them and doublecheck maybe?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Hi thread, I'm building a new PC after being out of the game for 15 years so naturally I need new peripherals too. I've been researching keyboards and the ridiculous explosion of choice and customisation is making my head spin. Without actually getting my hands on one, I'm aiming for brown switches because it seems like that's the best of both worlds - a tactile response for me and less noisy than blue switches for my girlfriend who will be sitting in the same room as I am a lot of the time. Is this sound logic?

With that in mind, and with black Friday deals available, I've (maybe) narrowed my choice down to:
Steelseries Apex 7 @ £120
Logitech g512 @ £84
Logitech g513 @ £100
HyperX Alloy Origins Core @ £100

All have brown switches except the HyperX which has their version of tactile switches, Aqua.

Some thoughts: I don't care about the customisable OLED on the Steelseries so maybe I would be overpaying there. I never used the number keys when I had a keyboard so I figure losing them as on the HyperX isn't a big deal. I prefer plain and minimal design so the Logitech is quite appealing, and I think I'm getting a Logitech G Pro wireless mouse so it would please me to have some congruity between the peripherals.

Should I just go for the g512 or g513? Is the only difference between them the inclusion of a wrist rest? Should I consider some other keyboards entirely? I'm also basically limited to UK Amazon because I'm a Brit living in the EU and they're the cheapest way to get a UK layout to me.

Also final question, I haven't asked her yet but if my girlfriend would prefer a wireless keyboard, can I have some suggestions for my best options there?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Something is hosed with their shipping. Some dude tried to order like a dozen JTK trays and shipping came out to $9 but he got an email later saying "actually shipping is $50 either pay up or cancel order."
Email them and doublecheck maybe?

lmao nope, I think I’ll bypass the hassle of dealing with a clown like that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Double post: after reading some of this thread and talking to a keyboard enthusiast friend I decided to buy into good keyboards with a Drop CTRL high profile and a friend mailed me a box of his now-surplus switches. A mix of Holy Pandas and Zealios, with enough of each to fill a 65% board so I can set up letters and numbers with one type and fill in function keys and the rest with the other.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

That's a great friend. My two favorite sets of switches, and those Zealios aren't cheap, either. Solid choices all around!

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

So just came across this and it looks like it'd be a good option for anyone after a full keyboard + extras for media controls and such.

https://us-mountainggshop.com/products/everest-max
-Hotswap
-Numpad with 4 extra keys and can be positioned on either side of the keyboard
-Media control module

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Ordered a Durgod Taurus K320 TKL keyboard with Cherry MX Silents and it's such a huge change coming from my Logitech membrane keyboard. I really enjoy it but I've noticed that when I press down on the spacebar, it's a lot louder on the left side than the right side. Is this something I can fix? It's almost like a metallic sound. The actual spacebar doesn't rattle at all and this sound doesn't happen on any other key.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

Ordered a Durgod Taurus K320 TKL keyboard with Cherry MX Silents and it's such a huge change coming from my Logitech membrane keyboard. I really enjoy it but I've noticed that when I press down on the spacebar, it's a lot louder on the left side than the right side. Is this something I can fix? It's almost like a metallic sound. The actual spacebar doesn't rattle at all and this sound doesn't happen on any other key.

Adding a bit more dielectric grease to the stabilizers is usually the answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NIrNGNwqWQ

If that doesn't do enough, get a sheet of 2mm or 3mm thick EVA foam and and use it to fill in the hollow space in the keycap.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
E: yeah that they said ^^

epic Kingdom Hearts LP posted:

It's probably just the stabilizer. There's only so much you can do for those.
I'd recommend pulling off the spacebar and removing the stabilizers and lubing them a bit better. That is, if they're plate mount clip ons like I think they are. Otherwise it's just not worth the hassle of disassembling that board and desoldering all the switches just to lube them.
The factory lube is just okay and never really alleviates the problem. There's all sorts of videos on how to lube switches if you're interested. If you want to avoid the rabbit hole you can just brush on some dielectric grease all over the inside of the stabilizer and wire and that should improve things a bit.

Midjack posted:

Double post: after reading some of this thread and talking to a keyboard enthusiast friend I decided to buy into good keyboards with a Drop CTRL high profile and a friend mailed me a box of his now-surplus switches. A mix of Holy Pandas and Zealios, with enough of each to fill a 65% board so I can set up letters and numbers with one type and fill in function keys and the rest with the other.

I still want Tealios v2 + GMK Finer Things + a teal board for that ultimate Tiffany's experience.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 25, 2020

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

What the heck, I'm so used to PBT caps now that ABS almost feels slimy... and yes they're clean lol

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I still want Tealios v2 + GMK Finer Things + a teal board for that ultimate Tiffany's experience.
please do this so I can drool over the pictures and also maybe steal it

btw found the case for you :v:

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Thank you everyone! I'll give it a try. Other than this minor issue I am extremely happy with my first journey into the mechanical keyboard world. Seems expensive though!

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
You can also pop the spacebar off and see if it lays flat. PBT spacebars are usually warped a little bit, not sure what yours is made of though. You can bend it back to shape with a blowdryer and something to weight the spacebar down.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Is there a good way to remove the spacebar on these types of keyboards? I don’t want to break it. It came with a key puller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I usually take out the keys beside spacebar (usually both Alts). From here you can just use your fingers or pop off one side at a time using the keycap puller. If the keycap puller you have is the plastic ring type, I'd be a little careful. I always feel like a caveman using those. The wire type ones work best.