Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Read Cable. Gorgon's fight would have been quite awesome to see properly drawn, but this book's artist can't really do action scenes. I do love how the score was made even because Saturnyne said so as she continues to pull random rules and numbers out of her rear end.

Yo if you think Phil Noto can't do action scenes you're wrong. Check out his Black Widow.

Phil Noto is one of the best artists working right now.

https://twitter.com/arthurstacy/status/1329070827699130368

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

Yo if you think Phil Noto can't do action scenes you're wrong. Check out his Black Widow.

Phil Noto is one of the best artists working right now.

https://twitter.com/arthurstacy/status/1329070827699130368

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that statement absolutely insane

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I was wondering if there was a fill-in artist for the issue (I haven't gotten to it yet) that might have led to that statement, but apparently not!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
this Franklin Richards thing is basically that bit about how Squirrel Girl isn't a mutant and a doctor legally signed a binding document confirming she was not but entirely serious.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

this Franklin Richards thing is basically that bit about how Squirrel Girl isn't a mutant and a doctor legally signed a binding document confirming she was not but entirely serious.

Except Squirrel Girl also hadn't really interacted with The X-Men in any meaningful way prior to that happening.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Skwirl posted:

Except Squirrel Girl also hadn't really interacted with The X-Men in any meaningful way prior to that happening.

I think you're misinterpreting my statement as any kind of defense rather than the intended reading where I was comparing this stupidity of this to something that was intentionally stupid

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

What do you mean it's not Tom Cruise?

It feels especially stupid, in addition to the points above, because of how it seems to obliterate a dangling thread built up in HoX and the recent X-Men/FF crossover.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

hexate posted:

It feels especially stupid, in addition to the points above, because of how it seems to obliterate a dangling thread built up in HoX and the recent X-Men/FF crossover.

I'm betting it get's re-retconned almost immediately after Slott leaves FF, assuming Slott himself didn't plan it as a fakeout.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Blockhouse posted:

It also reminds me of how Gwenpool retconned herself into being a mutant at the end of her most recent miniseries.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is the deal with Franklin part of corporate strategy to silo properties? It seems very perfunctory and results-oriented, like when they canceled the Fantastic Four comic for a while.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Is the deal with Franklin part of corporate strategy to silo properties? It seems very perfunctory and results-oriented, like when they canceled the Fantastic Four comic for a while.

When they cancelled the Fantastic Four comic it was because Fox owned the movie rights, Disney, who owns Marvel, now also owns Fox.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Skwirl posted:

I'm betting it get's re-retconned almost immediately after Slott leaves FF, assuming Slott himself didn't plan it as a fakeout.
Prof X: "What? No, I never reached out to you to banish you from Krakow. Franklin, you have family here..."

Franklin: "FATHER?!!?!?

Reed: "poo poo he found out"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's almost definitely someone higher up deciding that Franklin can never be involved with Krakoa stuff ever again so we have to kill off any lingering elements from FF/X-Men

Like I know we all like to blame poo poo entirely on Slott but everything about this smacks of a writer being told to get something done by editorial they either don't want to do or don't care about and just slapping it in a book as an out of context scene that has nothing to do with anything else

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

It's almost definitely someone higher up deciding that Franklin can never be involved with Krakoa stuff ever again so we have to kill off any lingering elements from FF/X-Men

Like I know we all like to blame poo poo entirely on Slott but everything about this smacks of a writer being told to get something done by editorial they either don't want to do or don't care about and just slapping it in a book as an out of context scene that has nothing to do with anything else

Then why the gently caress did they have a loving FF/X-Men mini in the first place? I don't remember reading about any big editorial shake-ups at Marvel.

I'm not reading FF because, well, I don't like reading Dan Slott books, but I strongly suspect this will be a fake out. Hickman had a solid two year plan for X-Men when he took over that I'm certain was vetted by a lot of people at Marvel, it almost certainly involved Franklin and Dan Slott was almost certainly aware of it, since he was writing FF before Hickman took over X-Men, because however much I don't like Dan Slott, it would be really loving lovely to not make him at least aware of major plans that involve the main characters of books he's writing and in general Marvel seems to think much better of Dan Slott than I do.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Codependent Poster posted:

Yo if you think Phil Noto can't do action scenes you're wrong.

Alaois posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that statement absolutely insane

Man, I love his character expressions, but is it controversial to say he doesn't do action well?

It's super stiff.

It lacks gravitas.

And it can even be confusing at times. What's even going on here? Gorgon turned one guy into stone and then that guy broke into pieces from inside(??) or the guy behind the stone dude broke him into pieces to get a shot at Gorgon? Who knows?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I am in agreement that Noto is not exactly the most dynamic illustrator.

This isn't a dig, just that his strengths lie elsewhere. I discovered him when he was doing those portrait-style pin-ups, which are what I mostly still associate him with.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yo Claremont is doing an AMA on reddit right now

https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/comments/jx6pjr/im_chris_claremont_and_i_wrote_the_xmen_for_over/

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am slowly catching up on stuff and I just read the last few issues of Marauders, and I think I should be reading X of Swords based on it hight amount of Magik content.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Saoshyant posted:

Man, I love his character expressions, but is it controversial to say he doesn't do action well?

It's super stiff.

It lacks gravitas.

And it can even be confusing at times. What's even going on here? Gorgon turned one guy into stone and then that guy broke into pieces from inside(??) or the guy behind the stone dude broke him into pieces to get a shot at Gorgon? Who knows?

Why is Cable fighting the Phantom of the Paradise?

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

What do you mean it's not Tom Cruise?

Saoshyant posted:

It's super stiff.

It lacks gravitas.

He's got a simple, muted style, but I think it works here. His art conveys how out of his depth Cable is, while Gorgon feels like he's making measured blows against bleak overwhelming odds.

If it felt a little anticlimatic, it was probably intentional. Where this shines is how the characters react to their defeats.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Saoshyant posted:

Isn't it Gorgon taking on three guys at once, two who turn into stone and one who doesn't because he can't see out of his helmet?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

poo poo that collection looks pretty rad. I've never backed anything before but I might start with that.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I am slowly catching up on stuff and I just read the last few issues of Marauders, and I think I should be reading X of Swords based on it hight amount of Magik content.

yeah it's good and Illyana is wonderful in it.

\/\/\/nice

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 20, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Soonmot posted:

yeah it's good and Illyana is wonderful in it.

I am surprised Grogon is pretty good in it as well, they are a pretty solid comedy duo.

I like the panel i saw online that involved her and logan suggesting he was going to bang a boulder.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Nov 20, 2020

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Which issue has the fashion show and/or dance off mentioned? I gotta make note not to miss that!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Which issue has the fashion show and/or dance off mentioned? I gotta make note not to miss that!

It's a single panel in the most recent X-Force.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, thanks, theater of the mind as they say. Judge Dredd often did a lot with 6 pages, and hey, let's not forget what Jim Davis has done with three panels. The famous pipe strip for example. But I digress.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Alright, funny man, I'll help you:

It's X-Force #014 (2020). Is the rest of the issue worth reading? Yeah. Go buy it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Logan has strong Kira in that DS9 episode with the game energy in those panels.

I am going to have to pickup the trades for X of swords. It sounded like such a silly idea when I first heard about it but what I've seen has been a lot of fun.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, it also has a powerless Storm killing Death.

Because yeah, Storm in a knife fight with no super powers has never come up before and we definitely don't know how it worked out for the other person the last two times it happened.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
The Hellions who died on Arakko could be resurrected by the 5 in theory right? It didn't seem to be a part of Otherworld, though I wouldn't imagine anyone had a cerebro memory scan of anything that happened off world.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

DynamicSloth posted:

The Hellions who died on Arakko could be resurrected by the 5 in theory right? It didn't seem to be a part of Otherworld, though I wouldn't imagine anyone had a cerebro memory scan of anything that happened off world.

I think so.

And isn't the latter bit convenient?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I think so.

And isn't the latter bit convenient?

It's literally Sinister's entirenplan.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Saoshyant posted:

It's X-Force #014 (2020). Is the rest of the issue worth reading? Yeah. Go buy it.

Oh this actually reminds me of a question, what's the image they're putting together? Is it the splash of Krakoa with the tiki bar? It looks familiar.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Soonmot posted:

Oh this actually reminds me of a question, what's the image they're putting together? Is it the splash of Krakoa with the tiki bar? It looks familiar.

Yeah, it's the big splash page from when they introduced the Tiki Bar

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I will say that the new Cenobite-alike villains from this week's Hellions are effectively creepy and original, and I hope to see more of them.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Saoshyant posted:

Nice, that's some mighty fine storytelling right there. I had a mousepad a'la that upper right panel one time.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Lmao at Magik losing a spelling bee because she can't spell "magic" without a "K"

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I am enjoying how X Of Swords is unequivocally demonstrating how much everyone wants to write/draw Magik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

My LGBTQ+ friends all adore her. Marvel would be crazy to sleep on her for adaptations. FOX's weirdly racist version doesn't count.