Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ad090 posted:

Hello future Neferata:
Oh hell yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Raygereio posted:

CA is just being true to the tabletop game.

and the lore

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Eimi posted:

But tomb kings are still competitive.

That's just a bug they haven't fixed.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Fashionable Jorts posted:

are there any good mods out right now that let a person play a campaign to completion in under 200 turns and as many hours?

Just get the alternate campaign objectives mod, some are still a bit lengthy but most are very reasonable. I've had a few 130 - 140 turn long victories and just over 100 turn short victories on VH/N.

I have won a couple short victories without it too though and only one reached 200 turns, a Neferata ME slog where the ordertide turned half of my +200 opinion allies into enemies about 20 turns before I was done and extended the campaign by almost another 100 turns as I had to rush back and defend my previously ironclad borders while the Empire invaded from the north.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Orion being able to huck spears while moving is a nice change.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5POQ_d0fpc&t=74s

I always like CA's idle animations.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Insurrectionist posted:

Just get the alternate campaign objectives mod, some are still a bit lengthy but most are very reasonable. I've had a few 130 - 140 turn long victories and just over 100 turn short victories on VH/N.

I have won a couple short victories without it too though and only one reached 200 turns, a Neferata ME slog where the ordertide turned half of my +200 opinion allies into enemies about 20 turns before I was done and extended the campaign by almost another 100 turns as I had to rush back and defend my previously ironclad borders while the Empire invaded from the north.

Thanks, I'll check it out. I have so many games that I've "won", unstoppable armies and massive economies, but it's just such a slog to capture and chase down every single enemy army as each turn takes a little bit longer to process.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Thanks, I'll check it out. I have so many games that I've "won", unstoppable armies and massive economies, but it's just such a slog to capture and chase down every single enemy army as each turn takes a little bit longer to process.

One neat touch I like is that it can change up even same-race campaigns sometimes. Vlad's goals are basically the same: conquer Empire and defeat chaos, possibly with beating Bretonnia too. Mannfred meanwhile wants to basically hold his home territory and then conquer some vampire/necromantic strongholds so he starts venturing south to conquer Nagash's stuff, but really doesn't have to hold much territory or give a poo poo about chaos or the Empire. Kemmler also has some different goals too, so even with the different start position he plays a bit differently.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

"rats are just the best" isn't really an excuse for why CA has trouble bringing the level of quality and unique campaign gimmicks to other factions. Ratposters, you'd be pretty mad too if every rat LL just had Trench's level of campaign gimmicks and the Elves got all the cool custom unique-to-each-LL gimmicks instead. There's room for all LL to get cool stuff, if CA really wants them to.

"x factions is just boring" is a post-facto excuse. They could simply make them funner/more involved, especial in the case of the LLvsLL DLCS. I mean, remember the state of design on Game 1's launch? Oooo Imperial offices, what a great gimmick!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Wood Elf changes mostly look great, but the lack of adding Lore of Athel Loren seems like a huge miss.

Like I hate linking the comparison back to Skaven again, but they've got three unique lores of their own, while the only other factions with completely unique lores are Vampire Coast and Tomb Kings (1 each), with Coast and Counts also exclusively sharing Vampires. People were asking how you differentiate other factions? Well, here's one way that CA completely skipped - opting to just dump more preexisting lores onto Wood Elves instead. Introducing a unique lore for WE, while keeping Dark unique to DE and High limited to HE/Lizardmen, would have been so much better.

And yes, I know Wood Elves got them in (exclusively) 8th edition, but we're looking at an update that's got goddamned Zoats so pulling a lore from a much less obscure source than that certainly shouldn't have been off the cards.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
WE get access to High and Dark on their new Lord caster now, though a special combined one would be nice. Ariel gets that at least.

E: totally misread what you said. I like the changes but like you said a new Lore would be way better.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

The best one imo is the skaven mortar crew dropping their ammo.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I like the idea of the Chaos Invasion on Legendary being 12 full stacks.

Not enough to actually play with it on, mind you.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

kingturnip posted:

Wimp. I'm legitimately looking forward to it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

kingturnip posted:

Idk, this would make it maybe worthwhile to play optimally as empire.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

When a single haggard Dwarf/Empire stack can 1 vs. 3 Chaos stacks, I happily welcome this change.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

In the majority of my games the Chaos invasion never even gets past Kislev so that change sounds great

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
I played up until this point with 5x chaos on Legendary, think that's like 25+ armies every wave for every chaos faction, it's really not that bad (can auto-resolve most of the stack fights because of how trash the chaos army comps are), and the AI handles it mostly fine as well, especially the ordertide, but they at least will lose some armies, and provinces instead of wiping out the invasions in 2-3 turns.

Also people think/speculate/know that the additional waves bring more stacks and the overall quality of troops are better.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izDFddhT89Q
I'm really looking forward to this patch.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah I already have mods that make the chaos stacks more numerous and generally tougher. Also that they come from a few more unexpected places. So far they still eventually get annihilated most of the time but a couple of times they've all but destroyed the empire which was nice to see for once

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

punishedkissinger posted:

You can abandon settlements now! So many good changes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIqSEcrvuKc

All those changes to the damage tracking, campaign, foot lord knockdown and monsters having a harder time stomping out of being completely surrounded are great, but the single biggest change is at the end and has a absolutely massive impact for both the upcoming woodelf rework and multiplayer.

Archers now have a 1.2 second grace period where projectiles will pass through trees and half your archer unit won't just uselessly shoot into a tree in their face, now woodelves actually WANT to fight in forests instead of open fields, not only that, but everyone will want to hold the edges of forests on maps now because your archers won't shoot the trees but any enemy ranged firing into them will now hit those same trees wasting tons of enemy ammo.

Assuming that change isn't just for woodelf ranged though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what this game needed was for ranged to be better

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

does that apply to siege weapons as well?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Ikit's army is kinda lame tbh.

3x Ratling guns, 3x Jezzails, 2x warp lightning cannons, 2x plaguewind mortars.

They barely get into position by the time enemy infantry gets all up in their koolaid, and then they never shoot. They don't even fire a single warp round.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Endorph posted:

what this game needed was for ranged to be better

My thoughts exactly. Make ranged trajectories flatter, CA! (Because I can't figure it out because I suck at modding).

That said, it would be a nice feature for WEs specifically given that it's weird that you want to deploy them on open fields primarily.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Assuming that change isn't just for woodelf ranged though.

One of the videos confirmed it is not just for wood elves

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Are the Puppets/Servants of Chaos still a thing? Because gently caress having those assholes burning down my coastline with no real way to stop them from spawning except for traveling to the opposite end of the map just to whack Archaon.

Similarly, does turning off the invasion mean the entirety of Chaos is completely removed? Or does it add player-chaos so the lord traits for beating them are still accessible?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

lite_sleepr posted:

Ikit's army is kinda lame tbh.

3x Ratling guns, 3x Jezzails, 2x warp lightning cannons, 2x plaguewind mortars.

They barely get into position by the time enemy infantry gets all up in their koolaid, and then they never shoot. They don't even fire a single warp round.
This is user error FYI. Something like Jezzails should not need to move to shoot because their range is absurd. Same for all the units you listed, really. Put them in a good spot to shoot (e.g. not behind a hill) and let the enemy come to you. You can force the enemy to come to you by having some artillery because if you have artillery the AI always advances.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is Durthu can give his tree spirit units upgrades similar to the Greenskin scrap upgrades. You can give them Bonus vs Infantry and MD but lose AP; AP and Speed but lose Physical Resist; or Armor and Charge Defense but lose Speed (for Tree Kin their Charge Defense becomes Expert Charge Defense).

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

ThingOne posted:

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet is Durthu can give his tree spirit units upgrades similar to the Greenskin scrap upgrades. You can give them Bonus vs Infantry and MD but lose AP; AP and Speed but lose Physical Resist; or Armor and Charge Defense but lose Speed (for Tree Kin their Charge Defense becomes Expert Charge Defense).

the aspect system seems perfect for marks of chaos, right down to there being four of them

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I like that the WE can apparently pick fights with whoever they want on the map since the special trees are so spread out. I was assuming that you'd need to fight your way over to the tree to make it a teleport destination, but apparently not.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Sotek moused over a techs that gives spell recharge reduction for High Magic and Dark Magic in one of his streams so it looks like the Wood Elves are getting both, which fits with their lore.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ThingOne posted:

Sotek moused over a techs that gives spell recharge reduction for High Magic and Dark Magic in one of his streams so it looks like the Wood Elves are getting both, which fits with their lore.

Yeah, they get it on their new caster Lords, along with Dark.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

I like that the WE can apparently pick fights with whoever they want on the map since the special trees are so spread out. I was assuming that you'd need to fight your way over to the tree to make it a teleport destination, but apparently not.
This is a good point. I thought that would be the case too. It will be nice that no matter who owns it you can decide to go hang out there.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
I was gonna suggest twisted sister for an alternate thread name but this will do

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wait how does the forest archery work? For 1.2s a missile can’t be stopped by trees so you can fire arrows from trees but trees can protect your dudes?

Does this apply for artillery? Rifles? That’s a huge change.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

"rats are just the best" isn't really an excuse for why CA has trouble bringing the level of quality and unique campaign gimmicks to other factions. Ratposters, you'd be pretty mad too if every rat LL just had Trench's level of campaign gimmicks and the Elves got all the cool custom unique-to-each-LL gimmicks instead. There's room for all LL to get cool stuff, if CA really wants them to.

"x factions is just boring" is a post-facto excuse. They could simply make them funner/more involved, especial in the case of the LLvsLL DLCS. I mean, remember the state of design on Game 1's launch? Oooo Imperial offices, what a great gimmick!

yeah but the rats got the good stuff, and i like the rats, so, im not mad at all.

jokes posted:

Wait how does the forest archery work? For 1.2s a missile can’t be stopped by trees so you can fire arrows from trees but trees can protect your dudes?

Does this apply for artillery? Rifles? That’s a huge change.

what ive heard said is "all ranged", so, that means my warp lightning cannons are going to be put in forests from now on.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

yeah but the rats got the good stuff, and i like the rats, so, im not mad at all.

what ive heard said is "all ranged", so, that means my warp lightning cannons are going to be put in forests from now on.

Thank gently caress I can’t wait to pack flamethrowers against wood elfs

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

they should def tweak it by weapon type, guns should only be like .5 seconds and flamethrowers should ignore tree cover entirely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZEnxvXgYJQ
Video showcasing the new legendary chaos invasion difficulty.

True to form, Grimgore heard it was a good fight and walked past the hummie lands to give Archaeon a right good drumming.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 21, 2020