Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My 18 year old son has severe learning disabilities and Autism. In my experience there are very very few, if any “Autism” charities actually directly helping people with Autism, I have certainly never seen a penny go to anything we are involved with, but anyway the point to this post is that if you want to do the thing where your money really helps then donate to a local special needs school - they usually have a specific thing they are raising money for, like turning a unused area into a sensory garden and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

On the topic of Autism Speaks and not in any way an idiot (at least based on this tweet):
https://twitter.com/BrownBirdTown/status/1329792138767458304

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
My nephew is on the spectrum and constantly chooses Joker in Smash. I don't know if those two go hand in hand but he really needs to stop because he's kicking my rear end.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Push El Burrito posted:

My nephew is on the spectrum and constantly chooses Joker in Smash. I don't know if those two go hand in hand but he really needs to stop because he's kicking my rear end.

As someone who also plays Smash Bros and is autistic, I can assure you that him picking Joker isn't necessarily related to autism, but him kicking your rear end certainly is.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Push El Burrito posted:

Have you considered getting good?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The way I heard it is there’s two distinct but related things called “autism” - there’s ‘my brain just works differently’ autism and there’s ‘nonverbal, unable to exist without heavy and constant care’ autism.

The second is what Autism Speaks focuses on, the first gets (rightfully) mad about being lumped in with the second.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Inceltown posted:

Have you considered getting good?

It's spelt "get gud" (how do you put the line over the "U"?)

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Fister Roboto posted:

One of the classics.

For fun, I tried to see if I could think of anybody I know who's a millennial and lives alone. Went through college friends, work friends, cousins...absolutely no one. Even the married couples live with roommates half the time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

christmas boots posted:

Only an IOSM for the original ad because it's supposed to be Pro-Jesus.

https://twitter.com/LeftAccidental/status/1329779215517052930?s=20'

Believe in the Satan who believes in you :kamina:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Byzantine posted:

The way I heard it is there’s two distinct but related things called “autism” - there’s ‘my brain just works differently’ autism and there’s ‘nonverbal, unable to exist without heavy and constant care’ autism.

The second is what Autism Speaks focuses on, the first gets (rightfully) mad about being lumped in with the second.

Wouldn't it be beneficial for updating the terms used in this case? It seems lumping the two categories into one basket doesn't benefit either.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

hyperhazard posted:

For fun, I tried to see if I could think of anybody I know who's a millennial and lives alone. Went through college friends, work friends, cousins...absolutely no one. Even the married couples live with roommates half the time.

I'm a millennial and I live alone.

As of like three weeks ago when my (married) roomates moved out, and it's almost certainly temporary.

But there's at least one!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
*taps the sign marked “it’s a spectrum”

My son used to be non-verbal “worst case” (18 years of therapy in the right environment got us working together as a coping mechanism team today) and the stuff that helps him will also help people who don’t have it as “bad”. Colours, noise, routine that kind of thing :)

Reality is it’s government funding to get kids the therapy they need that will help the most, and the misinformation spread by hormonal autistic teenagers sitting in a internet echo chamber unsupervised causes a lot of damage.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mega Comrade posted:

Wouldn't it be beneficial for updating the terms used in this case? It seems lumping the two categories into one basket doesn't benefit either.

Some people with arthritis just get sore joints. Some can barely move. They are still both Arthritis, just to a different degree.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Byzantine posted:

Nope. It's called "the spectrum" for a reason, and even "spectrum" is an oversimplification given that any one person can have a mix of abilities. There are people who are self-harming, incontinent, and nonverbal who can also communicate fluently in various forms of written/signed communication. Those people are just as angry at Autism Speaks as autistic people who talk fluently and can live independently. People get different mixes of different abilities, and Autism Speaks claims to be speaking for all of them, not just those with the severest disabilities.

Autism Speaks presents itself as literally the source of information on autism, not as "resources for the most severely disabled".

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I once shouted quite a lot at a group of people standing around with miniature ponies who were claiming to be a autism therapy group, they were not and when I left the police were trying to work out if they could put the ponies in the K-9 unit van.

People are bastards and grifters gonna grift.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

hyperhazard posted:

I'm a millennial and I live alone.

However: I do not live in a major metropolitan city, I live in a place with a half decent minimum wage, and also I live in a one room apartment, so I can make it work.

I also might be on the spectrum, to cross over the conversations in the thread, which is possibly why I continue to insist on living alone even though there are cheaper options, but I'm undiagnosed and I don't see the point in getting that diagnosis when I'm 37 and already more stable than I've ever been. So.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

christmas boots posted:

Only an IOSM for the original ad because it's supposed to be Pro-Jesus.

https://twitter.com/LeftAccidental/status/1329779215517052930?s=20'

Satan is a good friend.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Wholesome tbh

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

learnincurve posted:

I once shouted quite a lot at a group of people standing around with miniature ponies who were claiming to be a autism therapy group, they were not and when I left the police were trying to work out if they could put the ponies in the K-9 unit van.

hosed up of the police to arrest the ponies for this.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

learnincurve posted:

imagining this as a brony meetup with toy ponies

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Why did Sia even make an autism documentary? Does she have an autistic kid or niece or nephew or something? Not saying you need to be personally affected by something to want to do something about it, but that's something pretty far outside her normal wheelhouse
It's not a documentary, it's a musical. The autistic girl is played by Maddie Ziegler, the dancer from all of Sia's music videos who got her start on that Dance Moms reality show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OEh1GdzVoA

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Light Gun Man posted:

imagining this as a brony meetup with toy ponies

Guess who wrote the credits song for the MLP movie

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Knormal posted:

It's not a documentary, it's a musical. The autistic girl is played by Maddie Ziegler, the dancer from all of Sia's music videos who got her start on that Dance Moms reality show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OEh1GdzVoA

Oh, she thought Autism was a fun toy to play with.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Goddamn, that looks dire. I don't know what Kate Hudson's been up to recently, but surely Leslie Odom Jr. doesn't have any lack of projects to choose from.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/mbaram/status/1329896177073074182?s=20

Please, every Georgian Republican, either boycott the senate runoff or write in Trump's name.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Of course their galaxy brains will say that even though they boycotted the election or abstained, the vote was rigged or stolen.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Knormal posted:

I remember being told in a (community) college American Government class that America is the oldest currently-existing nation under these criteria. I'm sure there's some extremely pedantic way you can discount all other countries' governments to make this true, so even if that tweet is a joke post there are some people out there who do sincerely believe that America is the oldest surviving nation.

I had a similar experience in a US History class in community college in Texas, ~2010. The lady they dug up to replace the original professor a week before the semester began informed us that Texas is the only state that was an independent nation before becoming a state.

When I objected, I was informed that Hawaii "didn't count".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

lmao they're trying to reclaim "liddle"

Need an extra spurious apostrophe guys

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I had a similar experience in a US History class in community college in Texas, ~2010. The lady they dug up to replace the original professor a week before the semester began informed us that Texas is the only state that was an independent nation before becoming a state.

When I objected, I was informed that Hawaii "didn't count".

California was also a country for about a month between leaving Mexico and joining the USA. That's why the state flag says California Republic instead of just California.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Hey, thanks Satan. I will.

Thanks, Satan. Thatan.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's a much shittier religion.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Skwirl posted:

California was also a country for about a month between leaving Mexico and joining the USA. That's why the state flag says California Republic instead of just California.

I told a dude from Texas that Texas was a traitor state because they fly the flag at the same height as the American flag (he wouldn't shut the gently caress up about the Texas independent nation poo poo like it wasn't the obvious legal fallacy it was, I didn't just start out with that).

He punched me in the face, so I had to pick him up and throw him over the railing on the (ground level) deck.

That's about the closest to a fight I've had as an adult.

"Everything's bigger in Texas" they should try making the fuckin' people bigger 'cause dud was like 5'6 and a buck sixty and really shouldn't try to punch Yankees almost a foot taller and 80lbs heavier than him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I told a dude from Texas that Texas was a traitor state because they fly the flag at the same height as the American flag (he wouldn't shut the gently caress up about the Texas independent nation poo poo like it wasn't the obvious legal fallacy it was, I didn't just start out with that).

He punched me in the face, so I had to pick him up and throw him over the railing on the (ground level) deck.

That's about the closest to a fight I've had as an adult.

"Everything's bigger in Texas" they should try making the fuckin' people bigger 'cause dud was like 5'6 and a buck sixty and really shouldn't try to punch Yankees almost a foot taller and 80lbs heavier than him.

Getting punched in the face and then throwing the dude over a railing means you were in a fight, there's no "closest" about it.

"The closest I've ever been to a gun fight is when a guy shot his gun at me and I shot my gun at him."
"The closest I've ever been to being a professional athlete is the fact that I'm Lebron James."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Skwirl posted:

I only learned that later when frantically searching on the internet for more points to score, before I realized that the whole thing was in fact pointless.

She brought in a guest speaker later in the semester who dressed up like a Colonial Army soldier and told us that voting for Democrats would be throwing away everything he had fought for.

It was a long and obnoxious semester.

Elviscat posted:

Texas is a traitor state because we fought a war of secession to defend the practice of owning people. But I bet he wouldn't have liked that either.

Lemniscate Blue has a new favorite as of 07:51 on Nov 21, 2020

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Texas is a traitor state because we fought a war of secession to defend the practice of owning people.

Hell, Texas fought two.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Midnight Voyager posted:

Some people with arthritis just get sore joints. Some can barely move. They are still both Arthritis, just to a different degree.

Yes and if you have a migraine you also just have a headache but the term migraine instantly communicates the severity.
I'm not suggesting dumping the term autism. I'm saying add new ones so it can be more easily communicated what a person's needs might be.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mega Comrade posted:

Yes and if you have a migraine you also just have a headache but the term migraine instantly communicates the severity.
I'm not suggesting dumping the term autism. I'm saying add new ones so it can be more easily communicated what a person's needs might be.

We used to have one, but then it turned out Asperger was a Nazi and the medical community as a whole realized that he probably wasn't the best kinda guy to name something like that after.

Generally speaking the term 'high-functioning autism' has caught on fairly well among people that really need that sort of descriptor, and it does its job. I don't know if 'low-functioning autism' or something like that is in use, though.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Lol. I was wondering why the term Asperger's had kind of gone out of fashion. I had no idea it was because he was a nazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mega Comrade posted:

Lol. I was wondering why the term Asperger's had kind of gone out of fashion. I had no idea it was because he was a nazi.

From what I can tell, it was kinda two separate things that happened very close together. The DSM-V just called the whole spectrum 'autism' because it's just the same thing and having an entirely different label for parts of the spectrum just wasn't very useful. Then a few years later an article came out that Asperger said and did a WHOLE bunch of stuff that, while not explicitly saying he was a Nazi, definitely indicated he supported them rather enthusiastically.

Calling it 'Aspergers' was already on its way out, but 'it turns out we were naming it after a guy that sent kids like that to gas chambers' really speeds up the drop.