Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Binary Badger posted:

Apple knew this as far back as 1979..

With software by Todd Rundgren, of all people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Three friendly posters have just told me that 8gb RAM will probably be fine. Please don’t bring doubt back into my mind FFS!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xabi posted:

Three friendly posters have just told me that 8gb RAM will probably be fine. Please don’t bring doubt back into my mind FFS!

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-much-ram-do-you-need/

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Xabi posted:

The issue is that whatever configuration you buy, is what you're locked into, since you can't add more RAM later. So if you're only doing really basic stuff with it and/or plan to sell and replace it in a few years, it could be fine. But for those of us who generally hold on to them for several years, it's a small additional price to pay for not handicapping yourself in the future.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The real issue is that the M1's memory architecture and the way macOS under ARM handles memory is very different than PCs.

It's not so much 'get 8GB minimum, 16GB if you like to multitask or dabble in productivity, 32GB if you care about productivity, 32GB+ if it's your job'. I would be comfortable recommending anyone who doesn't use heavy creative software regularly the 8GB configuration, and I think the 16GB is more than enough for everything up to and including lighter 4k video editing/lighter developer work.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think it's too early to tell any of that, especially with software still being finalized.

Apple decided it made the most sense for them to offer 8 and 16 as the options, and you're part of the beta test.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Just load up what you normally do on whatever you have now and see what the ram usage is. AS is supposed to have lower ram use / less impactful paging according to some reports but considering I haven't seen any specific benchmarks and you're locked in I don't know if I'd handicap your current usage.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

American McGay posted:

I think it's too early to tell any of that, especially with software still being finalized.

Apple decided it made the most sense for them to offer 8 and 16 as the options, and you're part of the beta test.

Unless you're assuming Adobe will completely poo poo the bed (which, fair), there's no reason to believe performance will get significantly worse than it is now.

An M1 with 8GB of RAM is already chewing through heavy 1080p video editing and lighter 4k in FCP, and has no issues already with professional photo work in Pixelmator or Affinity Photo. I don't look at illustration and design but I'm assuming that they're broadly at the same performance level as the photog side, which is to say: Really good.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
8GB will probably continue to be fine for basic laptop tasks (e.g. web browsing, netflix, word processing) for a few years at least, but it's something that could come back to bite you if you ever decided to pick up hobby X or professional work Y that would really benefit from the extra RAM. If it's your main computer, I'd recommend going 16GB if you can swing it. If you already have another latptop/desktop for heavy workloads then going 8GB is less of an issue.

Also worth noting (this came up somewhere last page), that while the M1 has 8 cores, it's not the same as what we would think of as 8 cores in an Intel Mac (which has 8 full speed cores). The M1 has 4 performance cores and 4 low power cores, which I think when all are running full tilt is more equivalent to ~4.5-5.5 cores (don't quote me on this) rather than 8 depending on workload. Again, still should be fine for general use cases for a few years, especially since the per-core performance is so good, but something else to consider.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Unless you're assuming Adobe will completely poo poo the bed (which, fair), there's no reason to believe performance will get significantly worse than it is now.

An M1 with 8GB of RAM is already chewing through heavy 1080p video editing and lighter 4k in FCP, and has no issues already with professional photo work in Pixelmator or Affinity Photo. I don't look at illustration and design but I'm assuming that they're broadly at the same performance level as the photog side, which is to say: Really good.

Every single test that I have seen so far has had one of three outcomes:

1) software runs perceptibly the same

2)software runs much better than it did on Intel versions of the same Mac

3)software doesn't run at all

AFAIK, nobody has shown an x86 app running worse on an AS mac than it does on the equivalent intel Mac, or even in many cases a higher spec model (16" vs 13").

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
With Apple going ARM, I'm having flashbacks to RISC and PowerPC days... any chance they dump this poo poo in 4 years and just go back to Intel chips?

My wife wants to upgrade and I'm wary

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

With Apple going ARM, I'm having flashbacks to RISC and PowerPC days... any chance they dump this poo poo in 4 years and just go back to Intel chips?

No. Intel’s hosed. RISC is...is good. This is the way.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Intel 8gig is not equiv to AS 8gig just due to massively faster IO and lack of busses. Yes both can only handle 8gig total addressed but AS can page in and out a lot faster. Which means that if you have a lot of programs or files working with small chunks or RAM then no problem. If you are trying to load in and work with large >4gb files in a single job then you will probably suffer performance issues on 8gig model.

Since pros often work with very large files I presume this is the primary reason Apple left the higher end models on Intel.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 20, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

No not all the whole point for why Apple spent millions of dollars on the M1 concept was so they wouldn't have to go back to Intel for CPU hardware except at the high performance end (Macbook Pro 16" line) and could leverage all the in-house design work they've done on Ipad/Iphone side SoC over the last decade.

The launch pretty much showed the concept could play ball with the best Intel offers on performance and has been mostly a smooth launch with the idea getting even more polished over time for getting x86 programs to work without issues.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah in 2-3 years the M3x is gonna scream. Can't wait.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

aeiou posted:

I guess I'll pick up a new air, but do i really have to wait a month for the 16gig model? Current estimates for a 16/512 says December 15-20th. Would it be likely that the apple store would get those variants in stock anytime soon?

Yes.

If you have an Apple Store near you, grab the Apple store app, and key in 1Tb & 16Gb of RAM.

A bunch of stores near me have that spec.

Which is infuriating to some friends who are waiting until mid December, but yeah- Apple Retail gets ‘ultimate’ specs for floor stock fairly regularly.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

cowofwar posted:

Intel 8gig is not equiv to AS 8gig just due to massively faster IO and lack of busses. Yes both can only handle 8gig total addressed but AS can page in and out a lot faster. Which means that if you have a lot of programs or files working with small chunks or RAM then no problem. If you are trying to load in and work with large >4gb files in a single job then you will probably suffer performance issues on 8gig model.

Since pros often work with very large files I presume this is the primary reason Apple left the higher end models on Intel.

Is there a simplish article looking at the changes in architecture for AS v Intel?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

No. Intel’s hosed. RISC is...is good. This is the way.

Yeah pretty much this.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Lol no, odds are better that Intel turns into an ARM only chip maker than Apple going back to using Intel.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

https://isapplesiliconready.com/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

safari won't open this

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Yeast posted:

Yes.

If you have an Apple Store near you, grab the Apple store app, and key in 1Tb & 16Gb of RAM.

A bunch of stores near me have that spec.

Which is infuriating to some friends who are waiting until mid December, but yeah- Apple Retail gets ‘ultimate’ specs for floor stock fairly regularly.

How did you get the Apple Store app to display that list? I'm able to get something similar through the website store, but not in the app.

Not that it matters. Here in the South Bay, where the locations include the Apple Park and Infinite Loop visitor centers, the website's showing very little M1 stock, even of base models. Minis are easy to find, Airs and MBPs not so much.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

I like to think of WoW being under “Developers” tab as a side dig.

Also the lists are incomplete. Also “Adobe Illustartor”.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

BobHoward posted:

How did you get the Apple Store app to display that list? I'm able to get something similar through the website store, but not in the app.

Not that it matters. Here in the South Bay, where the locations include the Apple Park and Infinite Loop visitor centers, the website's showing very little M1 stock, even of base models. Minis are easy to find, Airs and MBPs not so much.

It’s somewhat hidden at the top of the app.

https://imgur.com/a/0RHzASx

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Yeast posted:

It’s somewhat hidden at the top of the app.

https://imgur.com/a/0RHzASx

wonder what it must feel like to live in a town called Chadstone

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Ok Comboomer posted:

wonder what it must feel like to live in a town called Chadstone

Home to the largest mall in the Southern Hemisphere.

So not great, basically.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

etalian posted:

No not all the whole point for why Apple spent millions of dollars on the M1 concept was so they wouldn't have to go back to Intel for CPU hardware except at the high performance end (Macbook Pro 16" line) and could leverage all the in-house design work they've done on Ipad/Iphone side SoC over the last decade.

They’re not going back to intel for high performance either, what are you talking about. They simply haven’t transitioned the higher end Macs over yet.

The Mac Pro is coming to AS. They’ve been over this.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

If anyone is looking for a deal on a very gently used April 2020 MacBook Air, I have one up on SA Mart: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3948590

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Ok Comboomer posted:

safari won't open this

I'm on Safari 14.0.1 on Mojave and it works just fine. Nice layout. No games listed..

Edit: Safari on Big Sur refuses to load it, and Optimum Online thinks it's a malware site

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 21, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CFox posted:

Lol no, odds are better that Intel turns into an ARM only chip maker than Apple going back to using Intel.

Yeah pretty much many reasons:
-Apple got tired of things like Intel's hardware side security problems and Intel also spotty record of rolling out meaningful performance
improvements over the last few years / Issues with Intel manufacturing yields at 10nm
-Getting rid of intel would probably lead to hardware better profit margins if the in-house Apple designed SoC has a lower unit prince
than Intel's laptop CPUs especially with economy of scale
-Leverages off Apple's existing track record of SoC design work and also experience in optimizing processor power efficiency

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pulcinella posted:

Agreed. Tablets are like cutting boards, there is no such thing as too big.

I can't fit my iPad Pro Max into my dishwasher.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

~Coxy posted:

I can't fit my iPad Pro Max into my dishwasher.

Then you're loading it wrong.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
In Feb this year I bought a 2018 13" MBP from a co-worker for $1000. Today I got $750 trade-in for it from Apple toward an M1. I'm pretty happy with my depreciation.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

this list sucks

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Battletech apparently looks pretty good on the new MBA, so that already beats my 2013 MBP.

Now just curious about Stellaris and ESO.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

If loving Macs is a scale of 1-10 I'd say i've always been like a 4, but I feel like somehow this is being undersold in the tech world at large?? I feel like outside of Windows specific use cases & gaming every other laptop is basically obsolete, right? This 16" MBP I got in July or something feels like a dinosaur, I can't remember the last time I felt that way about a tech product, the "it's obsolete as soon as you get home," thing hasn't been true in over a decade.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's revolutionary tech but it won't affect most people since most people are fine with $400 Lenovo shitboxes.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

beefnoodle posted:

In Feb this year I bought a 2018 13" MBP from a co-worker for $1000. Today I got $750 trade-in for it from Apple toward an M1. I'm pretty happy with my depreciation.

This made me curious, since I have a 2014 15" rMBP 16/512 that I'd be willing to trade in, and it looks like Apple would offer $490. That just seems... low?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

SourKraut posted:

This made me curious, since I have a 2014 15" rMBP 16/512 that I'd be willing to trade in, and it looks like Apple would offer $490. That just seems... low?

New ListingBARGAIN 15" 2014 Apple MacBook Pro Retina 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 256GB SSD + WNTY!
Pre-Owned · 2014 · 15 in
$629.99
Top Rated Plus
Buy It Now
Free shipping
Free returns

not sure what you think you have there but it's a 6 year old laptop with a 6 year old battery & their new $999 air blows it away in literally everything.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bus hustler posted:

New ListingBARGAIN 15" 2014 Apple MacBook Pro Retina 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 256GB SSD + WNTY!
Pre-Owned · 2014 · 15 in
$629.99
Top Rated Plus
Buy It Now
Free shipping
Free returns

not sure what you think you have there but it's a 6 year old laptop with a 6 year old battery & their new $999 air blows it away in literally everything.

Electronics also depreciate like crazy, one of the pluses of apple laptops is assuming you keep in good shape /reduce things like chassis wear & tear damage you can always find someone to buy it.