Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Thanks for the e reader discussion, I'm going to look for amazon to put theirs in sale next week (I hope).

I went browsing Amazon to show a friend how ridiculous the price of that one Gotrek and Felix omnibus was, the fourth one. It used to be listed used on Amazon for hundreds of dollars. But I discovered that they reissued and are still reissuing the Gotrek and Felix omnibuses!

Two questions:

First, for those who didn't hate the Nathan Long stuff, are the additional stories included in omnibus 4 worth checking out? I only read this three books individually due to not being able to afford the used omnibus.

Second, how does Josh Reynolds do with the fifth omnibus books? I actually know who he is now from reading 40k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

VanSandman posted:

He thinks about his brutal murders.
If you dig back through my posts here I asked him why he hates us back in 2012. He seems to really want to maximise the impact of his murders.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Kindles are fantastic. I've had this beauty for a decade? I should probably replace it sometime soon.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

jassi007 posted:

Kindles are fantastic. I've had this beauty for a decade? I should probably replace it sometime soon.

Night Lords Hell Yeah

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I've been using the kindle app for like 8 years now. Sometimes I feel guilty for not buying actual physical books anymore, but the convenience and the huge amounts of money I've saved make up for it. ALTHOUGH I must say you people and your fuckin sick as hell limited editions makes me want to buy actual books.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I love epub/mobi if for no other reason that my always bad eyes have grown so worse in recent years that reading normal text is eye-strainingly uncomfortable, whereas i can resize e-text to whatever Mr Magoo like level i like.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

According to the interlibrary loan service Maryland has, there is ONE copy of Regents Shadow in a public library in the USA.

Titandeath is a bit better, a quick trip up to NYC for that one.

The Great Work is the best though. There's a copy of that to be had in Auckland, New Zealand.

I just want cheap paperbacks for these dumb books. Black Library seems to want hardcovers, ebooks, and audiobooks. Bah!

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Agreed that Kindle owns. I got my first Paperwhite in 2014 and never went back. I still buy books but now I can save a LITTLE cash by only getting things I think are worth it vs gambling constantly.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Galvanik posted:

According to the interlibrary loan service Maryland has, there is ONE copy of Regents Shadow in a public library in the USA.

Titandeath is a bit better, a quick trip up to NYC for that one.

The Great Work is the best though. There's a copy of that to be had in Auckland, New Zealand.

I just want cheap paperbacks for these dumb books. Black Library seems to want hardcovers, ebooks, and audiobooks. Bah!

To be fair, the paperback market as a whole has really had a tough couple of years. Better to focus on "high end" hardbacks and digital copies. The whole purpose of a paperback was the relative disposability of it once it was read. That said, I LOVE my old BL paperbacks, and I'm sad to see that my collection hasn't grown since maybe 2015.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I don't want to spend $60+ for an ereader that I then have to then buy the books for. The digital versions don't even seem to be cheaper. Saturnine for instance is $17. Meanwhile the paperback version of Betrayer I've got is $10.

So the 10 or so books I want to read would end up costing me more than twice what paperbacks would have cost. A total racket I tell you.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Galvanik posted:

I don't want to spend $60+ for an ereader that I then have to then buy the books for. The digital versions don't even seem to be cheaper. Saturnine for instance is $17. Meanwhile the paperback version of Betrayer I've got is $10.

So the 10 or so books I want to read would end up costing me more than twice what paperbacks would have cost. A total racket I tell you.

Kindle versions of BL books are cheaper than new paperbacks, but there's definitely a much smaller gap than for most books.

I absolutely love my Kindle and I only buy hard copies of something with real sentimental value anymore.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I used to have the first generation kindle and i loved it, but it got stolen. Ive been looking to buy a new one since I've been reading books on my phone for years now and haven't bought a physical book since maybe 2010. anyway, the kindle selection is insanely confusing.

I'll need an international one, i know that, (im in europe) but there's a bunch of different types and the covers that can be bought separately say which generation they're for instead of which type and size.
Anyone have a suggestion? As few bells and whistles as possible except a light of some kind to facilitate reading in the dark, small as possible, longest battery life possible. With a cover of some kind.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Kindle Paperwhites are probably what you're looking for. Amazon just started its Black Friday sale so it's a good time to buy.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/amazon-kindle-is-the-best-ebook-reader/

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-amazon-kindle-paperwhite-case/

Kaal fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Nov 21, 2020

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

If you are interested in getting hardbacks/paperbacks/LEs aftermarket I would suggest you join the Black Library Nutters Warhammer Buy and Sell Community group on Facebook. It's a great BL focused group with over 800 members that are constantly posting books for sale in all formats (including a lot of LE selling) and always cheaper than eBay. I'm a member of quite a few FB buy/sell groups for Warhammer and non-Warhammer items and it is by far the best run community I am a member of. The admins are very active and will ban scalpers, assholes, scammers, etc at the drop of a hat and strongly encourage reasonable pricing and selling practices. They can be a big help in sourcing LE books and plenty of people even buy copies for people who can't be on their computer at the time releases drop. A lot of the members are UK based, but there are plenty of US and other country members as well. If you need a hardback or paperback that is out of print there is a very good chance you can source it there.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

Galvanik posted:

I don't want to spend $60+ for an ereader that I then have to then buy the books for.

I don't know how it is elsewhere but there's always a few BL books in Amazon's Kindle Monthly Deals priced at £1.99 each, and there seems to be pretty good Humble ebook bundles that pop up every year or so. So if you're willing to be patient you can get some great deals.

And in terms of the outlay for the ereader you can get them really cheap secondhand on ebay.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Finally landed two of my white whales for actual decent prices.

Carrion Throne rarely pops up for sale since they only did 1k of them and it is such a popular book. It's a beautiful LE and goes well with the two Horusian War series LEs out so far.

Solar War is just about impossible to find at a decent price because it's the one everybody is missing and they all want to complete their SoT collections. I've seen it go for $700 on eBay. Thankfully I paid nowhere near that. I now have my SoT LE set complete for what is out so far.

My full collection as of now (Ravenor LE on the way):

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
My jealousy of that shelf could pierce the sky

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

My jealousy of that shelf could pierce the sky

I'm proud of it, but unfortunately I'm a completionist and not nearly satisfied. I need Black Legion/Talon of Horus LEs, Eisenhorn trilogy LE, Magos LE, Horus Rising LE, the complete Primarch LEs (this will be a bitch), the various Gaunt's Ghosts LEs, Primogenitor LE, Spears megabox LE, a ton of art books that have released over the years, and several others. At least I've got the new release process down and I won't miss any coming out in the future, but the aftermarket is hell on the wallet.

Edit: Oh and I started the HH and Inferno print on demand about two releases in so I need to source the first two runs of each.

Edit 2: Also, I've been in contact with Ian Watson and if I can find a first ed Inquisitor and Space Marine he agreed to sign them for me if I ship them. Unfortunately, neither got a collector's edition hardback like the Harlequin and Chaos Child copies I have on the top there, but it would be rad to have that full set signed.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 22, 2020

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Finished The First Wall.

Good, but not great. The scale felt right, and the characters were fleshed out nicely. The human POV was a bit mediocre; 'loyal trooper is loyal' would already be a tired trope even if this wasn't the 241st book of the kind. Guy That Wasn't Sigismund was there only to die offscreen. Dorn felt right; I now see why people said he was becoming more than stolid, unwavering stern guy. His legion, not so much. Forrix's incursion was grueling enough to make up for the fact that we know he lives...barely. Kharn was an afterthought.

But the ending galled me a lot. Perturabo just letting the beaten Fists evacuate? Even taking into account that chaos may be warping his judgement and feeding his mania, that's ridiculous. Destroy every fleeing transport but Dorn's to twist the dagger of failure in his gut? THAT is what a spite monster like Pert would do. Telling Dorn to pick one company to leave behind so the others ones could get a safe-conducts back, forcing him to pick amongs his sons and making him do an Iron Warrior style decimation of his forces.

Abaddon wasn't bad, just...a bit weird. I like him wondering about the endgame. But him charging in to save a blood-maddened Kharn, then just shrugging and not doing the same for the far less chaos-frothing sorcerer was peak "Well, that guy is a canon veteran, the new one isnt" decision making.

I understand that chaos-corrupted characters change and become less like themselves. But it worries me that they all become 'worse' characters, in a literary sense. I wish they gace chaos a bit more finesse and variation. Even the lore in the codexes manages to make not all Khorne warriors the same boring maniac. Some seek the skulls of big monsters like oldschool safari hunters. Some remember that Khorne is the god of war, not the god of axes, and amass artillery like crazy to turn hives into craters. Some hold massive events of bloodsports. But in the actual Black Library, every traitor is either Jarson Vorhees on meth or a 'Muahahaha!' egomaniac.

Some personality would go a long way.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
On one hand, heretics exist to be shot.

On the other hand, interesting heretics are much more entertaining to shoot.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
War of Secrets is so disappointingly bad. The big Tau lore poo poo with the fifth expansion is so poorly handled and so dumb

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Finished The Infinite and the Divine, it's really good, I'm impressed that's the author's first BL book.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Came across a fun fan theory that Sanguinius killed Horus, flew into the black rage and then wounded the Emperor. Was there witnesses to these fights?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ego-bot posted:

Came across a fun fan theory that Sanguinius killed Horus, flew into the black rage and then wounded the Emperor. Was there witnesses to these fights?

I really hope this is true now

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Definitely one of the better theories, would be really dope to uncover in the book. I’ll make sure to get the collectors edition that releases 6 months early so I can spoil it for you.

Did we get 4 siege books in 2020?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Ego-bot posted:

There's a very old short story in the PoV of the Emperor that shows the whole fight but that's about it.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

The new books are gonna reveal Grimgor showed up, kicked the big E in the nuts, then ran off victorious.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Angry Lobster posted:

Finished The Infinite and the Divine, it's really good, I'm impressed that's the author's first BL book.

it's fun, except for the overuse of specific numbers when it's not necessary.

"500 cubits" "1000 leagues per hour" gently caress off already. A: if these are actually meant to be the human definitions of cubits and leagues they're way off vis a vis the vastness of space. B: if they're not meant to be the human definitions, and they're just "archaic" sounding measures of distances, why the gently caress do we care about whether it's 5000 leagues/second or 5 million? It's all technobabble anyways.

Just a really inelegant use of numbers. a fun book otherwise though.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Yeah, my only cons about this book is the excessive use of necron technobabble and that the final battle drags a bit too much. An excellent book and a really fun read.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

All the battles were a bit poo poo.

The end was loving amazing, with the way it handled time and how things evolve in that time.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
drat it drat IT they put the Night Lords LE collection up on the site out of the blue a couple days ago and I missed it

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Iron Rose posted:

it's fun, except for the overuse of specific numbers when it's not necessary.

"500 cubits" "1000 leagues per hour" gently caress off already. A: if these are actually meant to be the human definitions of cubits and leagues they're way off vis a vis the vastness of space. B: if they're not meant to be the human definitions, and they're just "archaic" sounding measures of distances, why the gently caress do we care about whether it's 5000 leagues/second or 5 million? It's all technobabble anyways.

Just a really inelegant use of numbers. a fun book otherwise though.
How else will you know that they are Space Egyptians though? :ohdear:

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

How else will you know that they are Space Egyptians though? :ohdear:

Well I'm sure their accents were 100% accurate.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Ego-bot posted:

I’m pretty sure Gork and Mork saw Horus clubbing da emprah like a baby seal, so they cunningly brutalized Horus, then tossed that humie warboss into the fancy chair to keep things interesting.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I really want to find out that someones corpse other than the emperor is sitting on the golden throne, but I’m afraid that ship had already sailed.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Bucnasti posted:

I really want to find out that someones corpse other than the emperor is sitting on the golden throne, but I’m afraid that ship had already sailed.

But if it weren't the emperor, the Astronomican wouldn't work

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

But if it weren't the emperor, the Astronomican wouldn't work

It sucks the soul out of thousands of psykers each day to power a brightly shining lock in the warp for all the reader knows.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

We do have direct confirmation from Roboute Guilliman that it's the big E.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Any chance Bobby G would fib to hold the entire empire of humanity together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's a bummer that they already did so much viewpoint poo poo from the heresy era bc revealing that a bunch of stuff got garbled in retelling / was embellished over the ensuing 10k years would've been p cool.