Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

My current OIC was a commanding officer on a minesweeper during his active duty days. Had some hilarious stories of the sailors keeping it real.

Time to get in line for the omelet station. Bye!

Fresh baked pastry and pork tocino!

Wow that's some solid breakfast. I still don't think you're actually in the Navy, just a russian psyop to make all of us jealous and angry LOL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lou Takki posted:

Wow that's some solid breakfast. I still don't think you're actually in the Navy, just a russian psyop to make all of us jealous and angry LOL.

If maffew didn't go to bootcamp with him and know him personally, I'd agree.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

warsow posted:

Hell yeah! Congratulations!

Guess I’ll out myself as picking up as SELRES this cycle. We’ve been waiting on AD results to come out to pretty much determine what happens next.

I wouldn’t have been upset if we pushed it to the summer especially on the reserve side where in person drills HAVEN’T HAD ROM REQUIREMENTS or even the need to show up with a negative test. When you have a unit with members in basically every major eastern city, that’s just asking for a super spreader event at worst and a front page navy times article at best. Cool cool cool

Congrats, I am sure in keeping with the proud and time honored traditions of the Mess it will go smoothly and nothing can possiblie go wrong*

Mr. Nice! posted:

Plus he met Monty and Cole

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Nice! posted:

We didnt meet until way after bootcamp. He overheard a conversation I had with another boot at MEPS and somehow connected to a story I told on SA and messaged me.

I've spent the day with Vas too. He'll vouch for me being a human being.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

LingcodKilla posted:

We didnt meet until way after bootcamp. He overheard a conversation I had with another boot at MEPS and somehow connected to a story I told on SA and messaged me.

Sounds like a pack of DEEP STATE LIES to me

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

LingcodKilla posted:

My current OIC was a commanding officer on a minesweeper during his active duty days. Had some hilarious stories of the sailors keeping it real.

Id give that breakfast a #1 ep

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LingcodKilla posted:

He gave me crabs in the PNW. Can confirm he is a real person.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I always loved working night shift during the deployment because breakfast was always something that was exactly what it should be and was never super great but was never horrible. Dinner was always a crap shoot and MIDRATS were just peanut butter packets, snakes, or something our jg would get for us from the wardroom.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Congrats to all the new Chief selects!

Just in time for the new PRT! :v:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

We've moved on to green pants now?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

We've moved on to green pants now?

Yeah, couple years ago SECNAV decided that in fact it was a bad idea to have a blue uniform in blue water. See also the uniform not being flame resistant and melting into big goopy burny polyester strings, which is a Bad Thing.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

orange juche posted:

Yeah, couple years ago SECNAV decided that in fact it was a bad idea to have a blue uniform in blue water. See also the uniform not being flame resistant and melting into big goopy burny polyester strings, which is a Bad Thing.

I never saw sailors wear NWUs underway anyways. Everyone wore blue coveralls. So now everyone has to maintain yellow shirts for PT, brown shirts for Type 3s, white shirts for dress uniform, and blue shirts for blue coveralls?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hekk posted:

I never saw sailors wear NWUs underway anyways. Everyone wore blue coveralls. So now everyone has to maintain yellow shirts for PT, brown shirts for Type 3s, white shirts for dress uniform, and blue shirts for blue coveralls?

They wore blue shirts with coveralls because blue became the default undershirt instead of white with NWUs. I assume they'll shift to whatever the type III undershirt is or go back to white.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hekk posted:

Yup, Not sure of the exact count allocation, but I think if they were to have a seabag inspection it's 2 sets of PT gear, a matching number of undershirts for all other uniform types, so 4 brown shirts, 2 white shirts, and 2 blue shirts, if you have 2 sets of coveralls and dress whites/blues.

If they do away with blue shirts they'll go back to white probably, but double the count requirement for white shirts, brown shirts would look gross with coveralls imo. So probably 4 brown shirts 4 white shirts (usually you keep a couple white shirts on the side on top of the base requirement for dress uniform inspection because they get grungy real quick).

orange juche fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 20, 2020

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Just be a reservist and never get the right uniforms and be in a constant cycle of returning uniforms over and over.

I've been in the reserves for 4 years, I've never had the right dress uniforms, and my type 3s are VERY much the wrong size. Its great.

I'm sure crabmans never had an issue because he leads that blessed life lol.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Blue shirts are gone. It's brown for working uniforms and white for service and higher.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

orange juche posted:

Yup, Not sure of the exact count allocation, but I think if they were to have a seabag inspection it's 2 sets of PT gear, a matching number of undershirts for all other uniform types, so 4 brown shirts, 2 white shirts, and 2 blue shirts, if you have 2 sets of coveralls and dress whites/blues.

If they do away with blue shirts they'll go back to white probably, but double the count requirement for white shirts, brown shirts would look gross with coveralls imo. So probably 4 brown shirts 4 white shirts (usually you keep a couple white shirts on the side on top of the base requirement for dress uniform inspection because they get grungy real quick).

Did I time travel three years in the past? Everyone watch out, this virus thing is gonna be huge.

3603.2 Undershirt is coyote brown. Blue shirts are out of regs.

Still need white for dress, but its just two types of shirt, its not bad at all. People who complained that a brown undershirt looks bad with blue coveralls and a brown ballcap after the regs changed either exclusively wore cargo shorts and tapped out t-shirts on liberty or were mad when the Navy switched to dungarees and never got over it.

Edit: beated while adding salt

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

I always loved working night shift during the deployment because breakfast was always something that was exactly what it should be and was never super great but was never horrible. Dinner was always a crap shoot and MIDRATS were just peanut butter packets, snakes, or something our jg would get for us from the wardroom.

What made breakfast great was when they put tortillas out. I have no idea why, but wrapping breakfast in a tortilla with hot sauce made it like 3 times better.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

piL posted:

Did I time travel three years in the past? Everyone watch out, this virus thing is gonna be huge.

3603.2 Undershirt is coyote brown. Blue shirts are out of regs.

Still need white for dress, but its just two types of shirt, its not bad at all. People who complained that a brown undershirt looks bad with blue coveralls and a brown ballcap after the regs changed either exclusively wore cargo shorts and tapped out t-shirts on liberty or were mad when the Navy switched to dungarees and never got over it.

Edit: beated while adding salt

Potentially! I haven't read a navy regulation in 3 years so it would line up!

Navy is known for making rear end backwards uniform decisions, so them requiring 3 shirts is not exactly a stretch of the imagination.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

orange juche posted:

Potentially! I haven't read a navy regulation in 3 years so it would line up!

Navy is known for making rear end backwards uniform decisions, so them requiring 3 shirts is not exactly a stretch of the imagination.

Yeah, it was definitely this fraught absurd landscape back then where nobody was willing to make a call on brown vs blue.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

Blue shirts are gone. It's brown for working uniforms and white for service and higher.

Yup plus this ship told us to leave our dress whites, blues and NSU at home we wouldn’t need them.

So far we’ve had 2 four stars, a three and the commodore visit us with red carpet treatment. We looked like comfortable trash.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I still wear blue undershirts when I’m wearing scrubs at work, nobody over here seems to have figured what color is official out yet. Only heard anything when Someone Important was visiting and I was wearing a red undershirt like the America hater I am.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

LingcodKilla posted:

Yup plus this ship told us to leave our dress whites, blues and NSU at home we wouldn’t need them.

So far we’ve had 2 four stars, a three and the commodore visit us with red carpet treatment. We looked like comfortable trash.

No way you’re a real person :aaa:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

No way you’re a real person :aaa:

Multiple posters itt claim crab dad is a real person in the USN

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

orange juche posted:

If the crew didn’t spend their week cleaning for 12 hour days while neglecting everything mission critical for the admiral to cancel at the last minute it cannot be the Navy we all know and love.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

If the crew didn’t spend their week cleaning for 12 hour days while neglecting everything mission critical for the admiral to cancel at the last minute it cannot be the Navy we all know and love.

Well, his is on a USNS ship right now.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

orange juche posted:

I think hes actually just a recruiting video thats achieved sentience

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
It drives me absolutely batty that so many senior officers and CPOs seem to care so deeply about loving t shirts in working uniforms.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

It drives me absolutely batty that so many senior officers and CPOs seem to care so deeply about loving t shirts in working uniforms.

A tale as old as time.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

"Dealer/Chelsea" style ankle boots (known colloquially as Lox boots) with elastic-sides were issued to personnel working with Liquid oxygen for easier removal in case the boots would freeze upon contact.

These boots are the best when wearing coveralls. I accidentally brought them onto the ship not knowing they were not in regs anymore after a LS1 gave them to me from a ship I was working on in 2018. Booo

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
There's a brand of civilian boots that look like lox boots called Blundstones that are ridiculously comfortable

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

King of Bees posted:

I think hes actually just a recruiting video thats achieved sentience

Crabdad if you go skynet please send a robot back to my past to punch me in the dick before I can join.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

I saw from people I still follow that the plank (replacing curlups) and cardio rowing were released. That rowing is super easy to pass of you do any sort of cardio. Then again all the cardio options were easy to pass, hard to get high scores imo

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Nick Soapdish posted:

I saw from people I still follow that the plank (replacing curlups) and cardio rowing were released. That rowing is super easy to pass of you do any sort of cardio. Then again all the cardio options were easy to pass, hard to get high scores imo

Can confirm this is the case. If you fail the plank it won't count against you this time around, but if you fail the push-ups or the cardio it's a failure.

And it looks like I'm going to be a Chief Engineer out in Rota. Assuming my orders don't get changed between now and December of next year.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nick Soapdish posted:

gently caress the run, I always did bike or elliptical because of my shot knees from carrying heavy crap up and down ladderwells and improper cushioning in my boots on steel decks. I had a command that wouldn't allow alternate cardio one cycle, and guess which cycle I failed the cardio segment on (because I fell out because my knees felt like broken glass was jammed in them). Medical said I had meniscus tears but didn't recommend doing anything unless it became an issue for walking.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 21, 2020

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

orange juche posted:

gently caress the run, I always did bike or elliptical because of my shot knees from carrying heavy crap up and down ladderwells and improper cushioning in my boots on steel decks. I had a command that wouldn't allow alternate cardio one cycle, and guess which cycle I failed the cardio segment on (because I fell out because my knees felt like broken glass was jammed in them). Medical said I had meniscus tears but didn't recommend doing anything unless it became an issue for walking.

Bike crew reporting. Easy to pass. Pretty hard to actually get high scores in.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Nick Soapdish posted:

I'm gonna request to do the row next time for funsies to see if I can max out on the score. I'm 6'4" 215lb, I have a wicked unfair advantage on a C2 rower. For some dumb reason I was expecting the Navy to adopt the Marine Corps rowing test with 5000m which is what I practiced for, turns out we don't even have to do half of that! Wheeee

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Yeah doing a 2k isn't bad at all because you can just go ham the entire time as far as rowing is concerned. I'd definitely need to retrain for it because untrained I can only get like an 8:30 because I haven't seriously touched a C2 in ten years and I gas out, but my old relaxed split when I was actually rowing would put me at 6:40. That maxes out the cardio by a pretty fair margin without beating myself to death.

Fastest I ever ran the 1.5 was an 8:30 and that made me want to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Hello, I start shaking like a paint mixer at like 50 seconds of planks so uh...