Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Even more punchable than Ed from VIN Wiki?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Almost as punchable as Demuro. I'm impressed in a vaguely disturbed way.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Goddamn I am glad that I'm not the only one who finds Ed and Demuro to be annoying twats.

I tried watching car trek (starring hoovie, ed, and tavarish) and my wife was like "who the gently caress is this ed guy and why is he such a tool?"

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I wouldn't call Doug punchable, but definitely annoying and childish. I always have to roll my eyes when he talks about car value and "I don't see why you wouldn't buy this $100,000 car, you're guaranteed to make money on it!" Like yeah if I could pull a hundred grand out of my rear end to make profit on a car I would but me and the majority of people kinda can't

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think everybody cranking their "character" to 10 for youtube makes them that much more grating. Demuro being a car dork makes him extra dorky, Ed being a skeezy salesman makes him extra skeezy, Cleetus being dumb makes him constantly shred expensive engines.

Even Vice Grip Garage dude is starting to wear on me, and his videos are everything i want out of a car video usually.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I like HubNut.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MrOnBicycle posted:

I like HubNut.

Same, he's such a loveable lug

I don't mind Doug in regards to the way he points out interior things in new cars, which usually make me go "gently caress don't wanna buy that car". Ed has kept me away from watching those Car Trek episodes cos I just can't stand him.

Junkyard Digs is still my favourite "pull some clapped out thing from a yard and see if it runs" YouTuber since I can no longer watch Roadkill

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Tavarish is pretty cool imo

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Wasabi the J posted:

Tavarish is pretty cool imo

I dunno. He went too far into the "famous car YouTubers" crowd. Also enough with all the super cars. Nothing more boring than that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrOnBicycle posted:

I like HubNut.

He's the best.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Jared has become a better Tavarish than Tavarish. Way more interesting projects, not just "I'm fixing a damaged supercar again!!!"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I guess I just haven't reached saturation and I can respect anyone still busting knuckles on poo poo; and additionally I think a layman's view of repairing exotics is an unusual perspective for me.

I'm not immune to liking things goons can't stand though.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I still dig vice grip, though that might be my minnesotan upbringing showing.

I don't HATE Doug, I think he's a good person. I just think he's annoying and not a good car youtuber or journalist. The best thing he did was spawn Hoovie, who is a rich kid 100% but he's so lighthearted I can usually handle it. I don't think I would like hanging out with him but I like most of his videos.

Tavarish is too far into boring supercar youtube star territory as said, but not a bad guy.

Vinwiki though, with ed? I just don't get it. It just seems like rich kids telling stories about spending all their money or doing cannoball runs in exotics or whatever.

Now the Car Wizard? That dude is my jam.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n46p3JKjwE

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Also Harry is my jam, holy poo poo I've been waiting for someone to drive an ff.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
So Cleetus is getting shade for throwing a big public event during the pandemic. Caused some poo poo on Insta with a rant about freedom and not letting the news tell you to stay home, now his latest video about the event even has comments disabled and he goes on a little rant, talking about how it’s safe around their area, the hospitals are empty and they’ve been out meeting people all the time and they’re perfectly fine, his event was safe, people come at their own risk etc. You know, the kind of poo poo people like Boris and Trump spouted right before they caught the virus themselves.

I love the guy and his content, but for fucks sake, that’s some famous last words poo poo. Between this, the monster truck rolling in his pond and the kid who’s passenger compartment mounted radiator exploded all over him, shits looking dicey. Freedom isn’t free, and neither is insurance cover.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

BuckyDoneGun posted:

So Cleetus is getting shade for throwing a big public event during the pandemic. Caused some poo poo on Insta with a rant about freedom and not letting the news tell you to stay home, now his latest video about the event even has comments disabled and he goes on a little rant, talking about how it’s safe around their area, the hospitals are empty and they’ve been out meeting people all the time and they’re perfectly fine, his event was safe, people come at their own risk etc. You know, the kind of poo poo people like Boris and Trump spouted right before they caught the virus themselves.

I love the guy and his content, but for fucks sake, that’s some famous last words poo poo. Between this, the monster truck rolling in his pond and the kid who’s passenger compartment mounted radiator exploded all over him, shits looking dicey. Freedom isn’t free, and neither is insurance cover.

Yeah, I just saw that. I liked his channel since they seem to have fun, but I unsubbed quick after that intro rant about "gotta live mah life," much like I did AvE after his "show me the proof that masks work" bullshit. It's one thing to be ignorant but it's another to be fully aware you're going to get people sick and cause deaths by throwing an event in the middle of a literal plague. I don't need to participate in the success of people who are making covid worse by making sure it spreads more.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Thing is though that kinda poo poo gets you a following of hardcore morons who'll go along just to rub it in the face of everyone else. ....at least until they die off from doing dumb poo poo.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
The stupid thing is he doesn’t need to run in person events! He could happily keep pumping out safely filmed content till the danger passes, but hey, Florida I guess. The Hoonigan guys at least are all masked up and seem to be trying to distance.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I unfollowed him about a month ago when I saw his burnout pad event. This just affirms I made the right choice.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah I feel like since they bought the freedom factory they've really gone downhill. I miss them working on their cars and breaking poo poo on the dyno.

I was surprised to see Freiburger in some of the VGG footage of the event. I expect this idiocy from the usual redneck crew, but I always assumed Freiburger was slightly less idiotic than most.

While they aren't 100% compliant, it's nice to see the hoonigan guys at least trying to wear masks and so on in their videos. Though I believe some of the hoonigan crew was at le mullets, maskless.

Crazy that not only was it an in person event but people came from all over the country making it a superspreader event.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Thing is though that kinda poo poo gets you a following of hardcore morons who'll go along just to rub it in the face of everyone else. ....at least until they die off from doing dumb poo poo.

Pretty sure this is their primary audience at this point, which sucks because I always liked the channel.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 23, 2020

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Two musicians talking about poo poo while driving a Kei dumptruck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJXr-8bBERk

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Yeah I feel like since they bought the freedom factory they've really gone downhill. I miss them working on their cars and breaking poo poo on the dyno.

I was surprised to see Freiburger in some of the VGG footage of the event. I expect this idiocy from the usual redneck crew, but I always assumed Freiburger was slightly less idiotic than most.

I unsubbed/followed from the Cleetus universe last night. Cleetus and Covid was a stupid idea, but his comments on IG and YT afterwards sealed the deal for me. I guess it's not all that surprising that the spoiled rich kid from Nebraska ended up being a lovely Trumpkin, but I'll miss his content nonetheless.

The ultimate karma will be from the kid who's racking up several hundred thousands of dollars in medical bills on skin grafts right now. Those bills wil lhave to be paid by someone, and something tells me the kid building a sketchy exokart doesn't have a Cadillac health insurance plan. From what I understand about the insurance policies that cover events like Cleetus and Cars, the unwritten rule of those policies is that they are intended to be single-use bankruptcy protection policies. In other words, if you claim against your policy, the single mark on your loss run makes your events completely uninsurable moving forward. This lawsuit might not bankrupt him, but there's a good chance it will put him out of business.

Finnegan is an anti-mask piece of trash. I'm still a big fan of Freiburger, so hopefully he never shares whatever views he has, regardless of what they are.

As annoying as Farah and Ferretti can be, at least they have espoused generally pro-science, anti-stupid views in the past. I'll stick with them.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Savington posted:

Finnegan is an anti-mask piece of trash.

I must have missed this but somehow am not surprised. Where else will I get a youtube stream of *checks notes* increasingly oversized squarebody/bricknose trucks?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

We sometimes forget AI is a remarkably "sane" group of car people that is a a fair way removed from a lot of fucksticks and knuckledraggers that are car "enthusists". Unfortunately that is also the case on Yoooootube where there are also few and far between sane and resonable people posting poo poo that is tolerable. After you get past MCM..... geez the picking of Yoootooobers who arent idiots in some major way is slim. Project Binky's Richard Brunning is a Thatcherite if you want to really be depressed. On the other hand RCR's duo have reached some sort of resonableness IRL - Roman apparently always was a cool dude while Mr RCR has wised up considerably and is no where near the Incel / furry he once was. Chuds they certainly are not.

It really is disappointing Cleetus/Garrett went full send on the stupid.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea I was gonna say it's more of a pick your poison type of thing. Just turn on adblock before watching their stuff and your view won't mean poo poo to them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Project Binky's Richard Brunning is a Thatcherite if you want to really be depressed.

Ugh :(

E: And apparently a bit of an anti-lockdown COVID-19 truther on top. Ah well, Nik's the real genius.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 25, 2020

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm wondering how he squares the Thatcher thing with having a running patreon account.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Yeah at first with Brunning it was a few comments that suggested he was economically right, bootstraps kinda thing, which is wrong but OK, we can agree to disagree there, but it’s got progressively worse. Some of it is fair like “if we aren’t closing X then why aren’t we closing Y” (Because Boris is a tit, that’s why) but it soon became “the economy!!” and such. But in fairness, so far he keeps it out of the videos, we don’t have to follow his personal socials.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yup.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The worst thing about the anti-masker people mentioned above isn't that they are basing their views on science (because the science isn't even close to conclusive regarding masks used by the general public), but it's a knee-jerk selfish rear end in a top hat reaction. "Muh freedoms" etc.

Edit: I tried watching B is for Build again because his boat is a bit interesting. He's even more insufferable than before and apparently know nothing about what he's doing according to the comments.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 25, 2020

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I have been enjoying Speed Academy lately. They're what is left of modified magazine and are Canadian :canada:
That also seems to keep the shittiness to a minimum in regards to freedumb.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKnM8fn3oiMjXNWFnYCAXlw

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Something about turning wrenches thats turns people into politically opinionated and constantly wrong loud mouths. Too much time to listen to the background radio in the shop is my theory. Maybe half the actual mechanics I’ve been around are this type of dummy. Usually conservative but not always. Glad it’s true in the UK as well.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I'll just say that I am really, really glad to have AI. Y'all are pretty reasonable people, and without AI I'd probably have gotten so disgusted with the automotive enthusiast "scene" to switch to, I don't know, building model airplanes or something.

Thanks for being generally decent human beings.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Yea I like that when the racist guy with the cool mustang got found on a white supremacist site he was ran out of town instead of made into a mod

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I'll just say that I am really, really glad to have AI. Y'all are pretty reasonable people, and without AI I'd probably have gotten so disgusted with the automotive enthusiast "scene" to switch to, I don't know, building model airplanes or something.

Thanks for being generally decent human beings.

You don't wanna know what those perverts in the model plane community are up to!

Whatever it is, I'm sure it's loving and consensual.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I have a feeling Cleetus not only believes his bullshit but is pushing the event because he wants to make money as well. Pandering to the MURICA FREEDOM crowd will help him with that.

That being said after the lawsuit that's gonna get filed on him, no amount of lovely events is going to help him and the track will be shut down again.

Liability is a bitch

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Ok, I wasn't surprised by Finnegan or Cleetus but Brunning... Oof.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

The Cleetus stuff is extra dumb because being anti mask is causing him to loose out on money. He loves his merch so he should be selling masks with different poo poo printed on them. Are his fans so dumb a significant number of them would drop off if he pushed masks in any way?

The YouTube content I follow is mostly car and gun related so I'm not seeing a lot of masks in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
The only gun channel I watch is Demo Ranch specifically because he keeps his politics out of it. I certainly have very different opinions on gun control than he does, but I can also enjoy watching hm blow poo poo up with weapons I’ll never get even close to. He occasionally bitches about YouTube’s weird and changeable policies around gun channels but that’s fair. There’s not a lot of making going on, but I have seen them, he sells them, and I’m happy to give people the benefit of the doubt, they may be taking other practical precautions with regards to distancing, bubbles, health checks etc. Importantly, he’s not out there railing against them like a loon.

Is it fair that as a foreigner I look at these guys tho and think “Florida, Georgia, Texas, well that makes sense”?