Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Infinite Karma posted:

How about :

Rancor

Geist of Saint Traft

Rishadan Port

I would do some bad things to get Rancor reprinted. IMO it's one of those staples that should be in at least every other Core Set.

GoST and Port would both see play for sure, although I think Geist is not quite the slam dunk it used to be given how strong creatures are across the board now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

hexproof mattered a lot more when doom blade was a maindeck playable card

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

hexproof mattered a lot more when doom blade was a maindeck playable card

people play a ton of doom blade in standard rn what are you talking about

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

Oh sure, it just took no less than the banning of 8 separate cards for that to be a reasonable thing

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sampatrick posted:

how are people playing a card last reprinted in ixalan in standard

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
also IIRC the closest thing to a pyroclasm effect in that format was bonfire of the damned (once whipflare rotated), so the value of a 2/2 that couldn't targeted but you needed to untap with was a lot higher than in a format where cards like flame sweep or kozilek's return are available

e: actually there was rolling temblor but that card was slow and narrow enough that it only really saw play in burning vengeance decks i think?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

how are people playing a card last reprinted in ixalan in standard

you know exactly what i mean in that im talking about a 2 mana removal spell that more or less doesn't care about text boxes

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Oh sure, it just took no less than the banning of 8 separate cards for that to be a reasonable thing

i mean, sure, dont disagree with you that std has been a dumpster fire for a long time and in fact is still quite miserable due to the strength of rg but thats kinda irrelevant to whether or not doom blade is a main deck playable card; it is.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

The Klowner posted:

FIRE stands for [insert marketing bullshit that doesn't matter here] but what it actually means is "every card at rare or mythic cannot be printed with feel-bad text." Which means that all creatures have on-rate stats with upside, all negative effects only ever affect opponents, all positive effects only ever affect the controller, and feel-bad mechanics like land destruction don't get printed. The result is that modern day standard decks are linear solitaire value piles where each creature and permanent that hits the board must swing the game wildly in one direction or the other to be competitive. There are no interesting decks because there are no powerful-with-drawbacks cards worth building around. Decks are essentially built for you.

no i would say that the whole idea behind fire is that cards shouldnt just be out and out bad, unplayable garbage. the hope is that you have more cards that are song of creation and less cards that are fires of invention. the problem is that every time they miss the mark, it ends up being format warping because, although answers are generally stronger now than they were in the truly heinous days of like 2014 until like 2019, threats are much more diverse than they were before (and this was especially true before the bannings).

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sampatrick posted:

you know exactly what i mean
I do

maybe one day you will learn the meaning of "a joke"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ungulateman posted:

also IIRC the closest thing to a pyroclasm effect in that format was bonfire of the damned (once whipflare rotated), so the value of a 2/2 that couldn't targeted but you needed to untap with was a lot higher than in a format where cards like flame sweep or kozilek's return are available

e: actually there was rolling temblor but that card was slow and narrow enough that it only really saw play in burning vengeance decks i think?

Yeah, I think the closest we got in Ravnica 2 Block was Mizzium Mortars since they were pushing Overload as the sweeper mechanic. It's why I remember such strong reactions when Anger of the Gods got spoiled for Theros.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ungulateman posted:

geist also wasn't incredibly good in INN/RTR standard. it was mostly at its best as a sideboard card at that point as well as in the bant hexproof deck. the peak of geist play was in delver decks alongside runechanter's pike and vapor snag. geist in general was a pretty overrated card for a long time.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Sampatrick posted:

geist also wasn't incredibly good in INN/RTR standard. it was mostly at its best as a sideboard card at that point as well as in the bant hexproof deck. the peak of geist play was in delver decks alongside runechanter's pike and vapor snag. geist in general was a pretty overrated card for a long time.

Geist into verdict. A classic!

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Sampatrick posted:

This is completely accurate IMO. Delver would destroy Standard, but Geist is strong while still requiring backup to do its thing. And as a pure Baneslayer, it's probably safe as far as running away with formats.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That was a fun Standard, I miss the days of stopping play to explain to my opponent why they really didn't want to equip something to their Phantasmal Image and Phyrexian Obliterator was such a fun card after Innistrad came out with how heavily they were pushing the new Fight mechanic.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Infinite Karma posted:

This is completely accurate IMO. Delver would destroy Standard, but Geist is strong while still requiring backup to do its thing. And as a pure Baneslayer, it's probably safe as far as running away with formats.

Delver wouldnt be particularly good in this standard. Delver being so strong was honestly a perfect storm of all the cards that were in that format.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The bar for Delver is pretty much is Ponder in the format

If the answer is yes then Delver is probably good

The Posting Imam
Oct 22, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Sampatrick posted:

It was annoying because if you shocked yourself once it could just kill you in 3 turns but the real pieces of poo poo were resto angel and the thragtusk in every deck.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Mat Cauthon posted:

I would do some bad things to get Rancor reprinted. IMO it's one of those staples that should be in at least every other Core Set.

A Questing Beast wearing a Rancor is not something I would be particularly crazy about seeing right now.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
hatred on gruul spellbreaker would be extremely funny to watch

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Yo. The Dive Down, somehow, hit episode 100 this week. To celebrate, we did a live stream of the recording on Twitch where we did mini-dives into 100 decks throughout Modern's history.

More importantly, we did a charity drive for Feeding America, where we matched the first $1,000 donated. Please consider donating to Feeding America here: https://streamlabscharity.com/@thedivedown-shane/the-dive-down-nation-helps-feed-america

If you want to check out the livestream, it's at YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFnnKXkfQGM; or you can just get the cleaned up audio version at the usual site: https://thedivedown.fireside.fm/100

Thanks to everyone who has given us good feedback here, we appreciate the support!

quoting this for new page. good job talk show host! i sometimes listen to your show and it's great

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/azorius_sage/status/1329805240061800449?s=21

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I'm glad. It's a great card that helps clean up a lot of bullshit.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I can't wait for someone at Wizards to declare it a color pie break

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Bell_ posted:

I'm glad. It's a great card that helps clean up a lot of bullshit.
I thought it looked like a really great, powerful card and then I saw it paired with yorion, such as the match I am in while typing this, and realized the true power of it

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

lol who plays Modern rn, this means nothing

Oh, and it's Goldfish, so it means double-nothing. This is the actual Modern Meta in the last two weeks: https://www.mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO&meta=54

https://www.mtgtop8.com/topcards?f=MO&meta=54 Most played cards. It did pass Uro in Creatures, so congrats I guess. Swifty (Burn) and Ballista are still above it though.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Nov 21, 2020

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Not surprising if that’s true. According to that list, Skyclave hits all of the other creatures below it, some with little to no consequences.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m happy Skyclave Apparition is good, but every good ETB creature they print further widens the divide between being on the play vs on the draw, which I consider bad for the game.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Katana Gomai posted:

lol who plays Modern rn, this means nothing

me

hail to the goblin king, baby

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Skyclave Apparition is cool, I was kind of medium on it when it got spoiled because of no flying and the small rear end but I’m glad it’s doing well. I hope they continue to play with giving White access to powerful permanent removal with downsides that aren’t just the O-Stone effect.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It being a ghost with the word “sky” in its name and not being a flying creature is totally bogus

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m happy Skyclave Apparition is good, but every good ETB creature they print further widens the divide between being on the play vs on the draw, which I consider bad for the game.

This is a reasonable complaint and something I would also be aware of were i a wotc designer

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

would not have expected auriok champion on that list

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

If you can reliably create WW its foolish not to have three in your board

v also tokens, goblins, Monoblack aggro

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 21, 2020

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ilmucche posted:

would not have expected auriok champion on that list

auriok champ shits on burn which is supposedly in vogue rn

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It’s an amazing SB card. Indefinitely blocking and gaining 4-6 health just obliterates a lot of decks. Back when Humans was really good I always had 3 in my board and I was always thrilled to draw it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Attestant posted:

I can't wait for someone at Wizards to declare it a color pie break

Makes tokens for the opponent, and not in enemy colors? Outrageous.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Shrecknet posted:

If you can reliably create WW its foolish not to have three in your board

v also tokens, goblins, Monoblack aggro

The Klowner posted:

auriok champ shits on burn which is supposedly in vogue rn

I play 4 maindeck in tokens, but I wasn't aware it was popping up elsewhere. I guess death's shadow is rising in the meta so it makes sense.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hey when I click "play" on arena what are my opponents like? I don't want to be smashed by people who have the 75 they want before I have my first 60

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
If you go into the "play" queue and not the ranked queue it will try to match you against similar strength decks. So if you have a new account and do that you should only occasionally get destroyed by someone with a way better deck.