Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The Great Kojika at 78, Mitsuo Momota at 72 and Yoshiaki Fujiwara at 71 averaged out to over one match a month in 2019.

I think for women it'd be Jaguar Yokota at 59

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

So I've started a youtube series with a friend of mine. I brought her to Beyond Wrestling's Please Come Back in Foxboro back in January and she loved it and even started figuring out the process of training to be a ref before COVID hit. The series is basically me showing her an Indy match and we discuss it as it goes along, her as someone who is a new fan and me as the veteran wrestling fan. We've done a couple of matches so far and its great and soon I want to focus on specific feuds and the first one I want to do is Steen/Generico. Long story short... Im looking for recommendations on a tag match where they show a lot of friction with each other... not where they actually split up (at least ROH split up), but stay as a team after. I don't care if they win or lose. Appreciate it!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think Tatsumi Fujinami is still wrestling fairly regularly
It's all down to his amazing gymnastics routines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-8KPL6pnoU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TUS posted:

So I've started a youtube series with a friend of mine. I brought her to Beyond Wrestling's Please Come Back in Foxboro back in January and she loved it and even started figuring out the process of training to be a ref before COVID hit. The series is basically me showing her an Indy match and we discuss it as it goes along, her as someone who is a new fan and me as the veteran wrestling fan. We've done a couple of matches so far and its great and soon I want to focus on specific feuds and the first one I want to do is Steen/Generico. Long story short... Im looking for recommendations on a tag match where they show a lot of friction with each other... not where they actually split up (at least ROH split up), but stay as a team after. I don't care if they win or lose. Appreciate it!

This may be a bit obvious but Kenny and Hangman vs The Young Bucks from Revolution

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
This is a very ignorant question, so if there are many many people who do this, I apologize for my ignorance.

But given how many famous and semi-famous American wrestlers go to Japan for tours, or when they are sacked by the big US companies to experience different styles, and get better etc. And how a lot of them become stars.

How many go to Mexico to do the same thing? Coz it seems to me, (with my extremely limited knowledge), that this doesn't happen nearly as often. WHy? Is the pay worse? Are the conditions worse? Is it another reason?

I know Jericho worked in Mexico early in his career, and that Mark Jindrak became a star in Mexico post WCW, but I don't know of too many others.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

there just isn't as much money in it nowadays for non established talent.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

I Before E posted:

This may be a bit obvious but Kenny and Hangman vs The Young Bucks from Revolution

i think they were explicitly asking for steen/generico matches

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is a very ignorant question, so if there are many many people who do this, I apologize for my ignorance.

But given how many famous and semi-famous American wrestlers go to Japan for tours, or when they are sacked by the big US companies to experience different styles, and get better etc. And how a lot of them become stars.

How many go to Mexico to do the same thing? Coz it seems to me, (with my extremely limited knowledge), that this doesn't happen nearly as often. WHy? Is the pay worse? Are the conditions worse? Is it another reason?

I know Jericho worked in Mexico early in his career, and that Mark Jindrak became a star in Mexico post WCW, but I don't know of too many others.

It isn't as common as Japan as from the start of mainstream Japanese wrestling Americans were a big part of the presentation. There was a lot of back and forth between talent from both regions, and Japanese companies starting having American/Canadian booking agents to get them talent for tours, plus having wrestlers go on excursion.

Mexico on the other hand was built primarily by Mexican stars and there were less Americans there. Some promotions would bring in big American stars, Thesz was brought in by UWA to give their title legitimacy from the start and they would use Hogan and Andre and other big American stars. As time went on you started seeing more and more talent coming in, Konnan and Vampiro became stars in Mexico. You started seeing even more AAA formed they liked using Americans, you had Art Barr after he was blackballed from major US companies following his sexual assault charge. They used Jake the Snake as a top guy after he pissed away his career in the US, and CMLL started using more foreigners too.

The mid 90s peso crisis made it really hard for Americans to make a living in Mexico so the numbers went way down until the aughts and Konnan got back with AAA. Then you started seeing guys like Jack Evans, Waltman, etc.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I Before E posted:

Procrastinator posted:

i think they were explicitly asking for steen/generico matches

Correct. Steen/Generico tag matches where the 2 of them have a lot of friction with each other. I have their ROH tag title win, the FB 09 break up, the 2 FB one on ones and just want to bridge that gap.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TUS posted:

Correct. Steen/Generico tag matches where the 2 of them have a lot of friction with each other. I have their ROH tag title win, the FB 09 break up, the 2 FB one on ones and just want to bridge that gap.

It has been a long time since I've seen if but I feel like Generico is uneasy with how vicious Steen is to Mark Briscoe on Fighting Spirit.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

negro casas feels like the oldest pushed major company wrestler that's not a special attraction. he's 60, is still as much of a regular in cmll as anyone is, and while he usually loses the big matches he lost his hair in the anniversario main event last year.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

TUS posted:

I think generico's final period in PWG had a fair bit of the friction stuff but I don't have anything specific to recommend, unfortunately.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Can someone explain Rossy Ogawa's place in Joshi wrestling? I'm new to Joshi and I knew he was the guy who started Stardom, but it turns out he had a major role in 90s AJW and the Big Egg Universe Show?

I thought AJW and Stardom had very different Joshi philosophies/styles but maybe I'm wrong.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Rossy got his start as a photographer for AJW which he managed to parlay into an on screen role as a manager and announcer. He left to found Arsion with Aja Kong because he didn't think AJW was going in the right direction but they ended up having a fall out over the direction and I think she even might have sued him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Rossy also worked in the office and I believe the split was after the Matsunaga real estate scandal. He also loves hats.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

jd star was another joshi fed he worked a bit for before stardom that def had a similar combined idol/athlete approach

MassRafTer posted:

Rossy also worked in the office and I believe the split was after the Matsunaga real estate scandal. He also loves hats.

and dr wagner jr, not to mention combinations of the two

https://twitter.com/thauros_/status/1283620406398787584?s=20

Thauros fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 24, 2020

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Thauros posted:

and dr wagner jr, not to mention combinations of the two
Also loved splashing money on bringing him over to Japan. We don't know because Covid made it impossible anyway, but I would assume Bushiroad are putting the kibosh on that.

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=...onType=&worker=

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

to be fair I also love dr wagner jr.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
were those mixed tags done wwe-style? what a weird thing

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Edit: wait replied to something very old

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
AJW and Stardom have closer links than you'd think: the top titles of the latter were designed to very closely mimic the former right down to the colour of the straps and the "red belt" (WWWA Women's Title/World of Stardom Title) and White Belt (All Pacific Championship/Wonder of Stardom Championship) nicknames and before Bushiroad a lot of the big show names that Stardom would use sort of mimicked names that AJW had used in the past. The heavy idol focus in the form they had was very different from AJW but its not like AJW was this clean all-wrestling promotion: for most of their history they'd have performances by wrestlers at shows and that was a big factor in a number of their top stars getting over as much as they did.

I read somewhere that he was the main office person behind the Crush Gals push and I think its fair to say that if that was the case then it was the correct decision - it is interesting that the only old-school Joshi wrestler that seems to continue to be close to Rossy is Nagayo and perhaps that implies that could be true.

abraham linksys posted:

were those mixed tags done wwe-style? what a weird thing

nope; proper mixed tags

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

fez_machine posted:

Can someone explain Rossy Ogawa's place in Joshi wrestling? I'm new to Joshi and I knew he was the guy who started Stardom, but it turns out he had a major role in 90s AJW and the Big Egg Universe Show?

I thought AJW and Stardom had very different Joshi philosophies/styles but maybe I'm wrong.
To add to what else has been said already (and timing-wise I'm guessing you just listened to the BTS we did about Big Egg):

Rossy was the AJW booker during the inter-promotional boom era of '92-95ish at a minimum. He was the one who brokered the deals with the other promotions and made everything happen. It's not something I remember ever being talked about in English language wrestling media until Fumi Saito and Jim Valley started their podcast.

As far as promotional philosophy, while the AJW Rossy came up in was VERY different from Stardom, the '90s iteration of AJW absolutely had its share of sex appeal pushes, albeit in a system where the "sexy" choices were inevitably also great workers. When Arsion launched, the company was promoted with flyers, posters, etc. showing various members of the roster doing the Janet Jackson Rolling Stone cover "holding your boobs" pose. Which was a weird move for a promotion that, in-ring, was closer to distaff BattlARTS at the time than anything else. (Even if there was arguably more of an emphasis on looks than in AJW, again, there wasn't really anyone who didn't belong/togot wrongly fast tracked.)

I don't remember if I even knew the reason for Aja Kong—the initial Arsion booker—split to go to GAEA full time, but the promotion went downhill pretty fast with Lioness Asuka as the new booker. The in-ring style shifted away from what made Arsion unique, LCO got way overpushed doing their rote hardcore matches, etc. I'm drawing a blank as to why Arsion was shut down and replaced with AtoZ, though, as well as who the AtoZ promoter was.

Someone else who knows the modern Joshi scene a lot better could get into the nuts and bolts of whether or not Stardom's position relative to its competitors is inflated by western fans.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

frankenfreak posted:

Also loved splashing money on bringing him over to Japan. We don't know because Covid made it impossible anyway, but I would assume Bushiroad are putting the kibosh on that.

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=...onType=&worker=

Who's the current Black Tiger, incidentally? I lose track after Ishii's half-hearted run where he didn't even really wear the mask.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nosawa was the last black tiger before he got literally framed for drug smuggling

ACH did one match as 'tiger the dark' if that counts

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i think it was probably true that stardom's importance in the domestic scene was overrated due to its popularity in the west but you could argue that the manifestations of that western popularity like stardom world and stardom being the de facto joshi promotion for roh or wwe when they needed one led to the bushiroad acquisition which firmly solidified its position in japan so

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Nosawa was still doing the Black Tiger gimmick in AJPW until recently when he started focusing on NOAH.

Stardom and Ice Ribbon were about level until the Bushiroad buy out in terms of crowd sizes. The OZ Academy Yokohama Buntai show was always the biggest joshi show of the year but they don't really run often enough to make fair comparisons.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Yeah before Bushiroad it was hard to really accurately place promotions in any solid order although you could perhaps come up with tiers - Stardom, Ice Ribbon, OZ Academy and perhaps TJPW by 2019 in a top tier, then Sendai Girls probably the biggest of the rest. Ice Ribbon and OZ Academy would have the biggest shows of the year because of the Bunka shows but Stardom were the only promotion running Korakuen monthly: everyone was not big outside Tokyo (other than Sendai Girls in, well, Sendai) but Stardom ran Edion No 2 fairly often and had some big Nagoya shows. Bushiroad changed all of that and now Stardom are the clear number 1 - although to what extent I can't really say and the success of their Edion No 1 and Budokan Hall shows will go a long way into where they fit into things. TJPW is the one that probably gets ranked too highly by Western fans now: while its clear they are making an effort into growing (running Korakuen almost monthly for the first bit of next year; the Tokyo Dome City Hall show this year and Ota Ward next year etc) realistically they are still behind Ice Ribbon in terms of smaller shows (both number and how big they are) and they did similar numbers before Ice Ribbon went from quarterly to monthly Korakuens which changes things.

davidbix posted:

To add to what else has been said already (and timing-wise I'm guessing you just listened to the BTS we did about Big Egg):

Rossy was the AJW booker during the inter-promotional boom era of '92-95ish at a minimum. He was the one who brokered the deals with the other promotions and made everything happen. It's not something I remember ever being talked about in English language wrestling media until Fumi Saito and Jim Valley started their podcast.

As far as promotional philosophy, while the AJW Rossy came up in was VERY different from Stardom, the '90s iteration of AJW absolutely had its share of sex appeal pushes, albeit in a system where the "sexy" choices were inevitably also great workers. When Arsion launched, the company was promoted with flyers, posters, etc. showing various members of the roster doing the Janet Jackson Rolling Stone cover "holding your boobs" pose. Which was a weird move for a promotion that, in-ring, was closer to distaff BattlARTS at the time than anything else. (Even if there was arguably more of an emphasis on looks than in AJW, again, there wasn't really anyone who didn't belong/togot wrongly fast tracked.)

I don't remember if I even knew the reason for Aja Kong—the initial Arsion booker—split to go to GAEA full time, but the promotion went downhill pretty fast with Lioness Asuka as the new booker. The in-ring style shifted away from what made Arsion unique, LCO got way overpushed doing their rote hardcore matches, etc. I'm drawing a blank as to why Arsion was shut down and replaced with AtoZ, though, as well as who the AtoZ promoter was.

Someone else who knows the modern Joshi scene a lot better could get into the nuts and bolts of whether or not Stardom's position relative to its competitors is inflated by western fans.

Yumiko Hotta was the owner (and I assume booker) of AtoZ: she bought the ashes of Arsion from whoever owned it at the end to do her own thing with it. Lasted a couple of years but no one was surviving very well then: bounced around as a freelancer for a while until she was the trainer and general senior wrestler (I think she was the booker: she at least had a load of influence) with Actwres Girl'Z (which is basically someone trying to do the JD' Star thing; they basically hire struggling actresses in possibly dubious ways) from 2016 to this June where she left and I think she was forced out: and now is setting up something else that might be a promotion but might also be a merch brand: its not entirely clear. If she was as involved in the training there as believed then she's really loving good at it; considering their recruitment methods they have no business having as good a roster as they do

That divide between the presentation of a promotion and the overall wrestling style of it still exists: which I think surprises people sometimes. It feels like that while promotions know that looks are a good way of marketing yourselves that people are still going to see wrestling and there's pride in presenting a product that impresses people; to prove that isn't all you have. In modern Joshi while you can perhaps say there's a divide between promotions that are presented in a more traditional manner (something like Sendai Girls or Marvelous: although the latter especially is different from older wrestling despite presenting their rookies very traditionally and being owned by Chigusa Nagayo) and your idol promotions (Actwres Girl'Z, Tokyo Joshi Pro: to a lesser extent I'd also include Ice Ribbon and Stardom) and while they market themselves towards different people which is obvious by the fans that show up that isn't reflected in the quality of the in-ring product: for example Miyuki Takase (the ace of AWG) or Yuka Sakazaki are as good as anyone else in whatever promotion you name and when it comes to your big matches they all feel like big matches.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Can anyone explain what the point of Luke Gallows as a fake Kane was?

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Could someone explain the Naitch/ Haitch Lil Naitch thing to me? Like where do the nicknames come from

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Poasty posted:

Could someone explain the Naitch/ Haitch Lil Naitch thing to me? Like where do the nicknames come from

Naitch is short for Nature Boy because you can't just spell it Nat and Haitch is how you would phonetically spell the sound the letter H makes in Triple H

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Poasty posted:

Naitch is the "Nat" in Nature Boy, Lil Naitch is a ref who looks like Ric Flair

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Red posted:

Can anyone explain what the point of Luke Gallows as a fake Kane was?

at the time I thought they were going to pass the mask on, establishing Kane as its own entity of a character not unlike Jason Vorhees or James Bond, who can be feasibly played by generations going forward each putting their own take and twist on who Kane is. It would fit with Vince's idea of "owning the characters" in a way that would really only work for Kane owing to the supernatural whatsit of the mask,

except it wasn't that it was a big wet fart so I dunno

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Alaois posted:

the sound the letter H makes in Triple H

:golfclap:

I don't know why, but I really like how this is worded

and yea Charles Robinson also has reffed a long-rear end time, back to WCW days, so he was a lot more "lil naitch" then, rather than the 50-60 year old one now (not the 100 year big naitch)

Hirez fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 25, 2020

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
there's a crapload of stories of Undertaker taking down Jack Daniels, but any rumblings of him and pills/etc? I kind of assume being close to "Bear"/Godfather he did some weed but all we hear about with him is booze.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The name 'Lil Naitch' came about because Charles Robinson is/was a huge Ric Flair fan. Like, a big enough fan that before he was a ref he'd go to shows in Ric Flair cosplay. Eventually that worked its way into a storyline.

Lunatic Sledge posted:

at the time I thought they were going to pass the mask on, establishing Kane as its own entity of a character not unlike Jason Vorhees or James Bond, who can be feasibly played by generations going forward each putting their own take and twist on who Kane is. It would fit with Vince's idea of "owning the characters" in a way that would really only work for Kane owing to the supernatural whatsit of the mask,

except it wasn't that it was a big wet fart so I dunno

I mean a generational gimmick is certainly not unheard of. It's just unheard of in WWE. The only other time they tried it was with Fake Diesel/Razor. But it's possible that North American fans are conditioned to reject such gimmicks outright due to how badly anything with the word 'New' attached to it fail. New Blackjacks, New Rockers, New Foundation...

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 25, 2020

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

The name 'Lil Naitch' came about because Charles Robinson is/was a huge Ric Flair fan. Like, a big enough fan that before he was a ref he'd go to shows in Ric Flair cosplay. Eventually that worked its way into a storyline.

I mean a generational gimmick is certainly not unheard of. It's just unheard of in WWE. The only other time they tried it was with Fake Diesel/Razor. But it's possible that North American fans are conditioned to reject such gimmicks outright due to how badly anything with the word 'New' attached to it fail. New Blackjacks, New Rockers, New Foundation...

They did it successfully with Doink.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Barely anybody could tell the difference between the Doinks and it's not like people had enough time to grow attached to Matt Borne.
Or do you mean The Fiend?

Unrelated: Once upon a time I once thought that Lance Archer could have made a good New Undertaker.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

Barely anybody could tell the difference between the Doinks and it's not like people had enough time to grow attached to Matt Borne.
Or do you mean The Fiend?

Unrelated: Once upon a time I once thought that Lance Archer could have made a good New Undertaker.

Borne was there for almost a year and when they fired him the character turned face so it was a pretty noticeable difference in character from Borne even if the costuming looked basically the same.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's unfortunate he wasn't around for longer because holy poo poo, Matt Borne in full Doink makeup could convey that he wanted to murder you with his expression

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Can someone with a better understanding of Reddit give me the Cliff's Notes on how Wreddit/Squared Circle has massively chilled the gently caress out as of late? Some of this is coming from an admittedly self-centered point of view, but...

I'll read stuff there sometimes because it's a good barometer of what the "casual hardcores" think about a given topic, but it would get grating with the weird shots whenever my name came up (and them getting upvoted, and my articles always getting weirdly downvoted) and the tenor in general was really dark. But...all of that seems to have done a 180? Less trolling, less mean-spiritedness, the bad poo poo gets downvoted quickly, the good stuff gets upvoted, the more toxic element seems to have mostly moved the SCJerk (which makes me think it's not necessarily anything to do with platform-wise moderation improvements), etc. Both from a me-centric (the negative comments are mainly people who find me to be annoying sometimes but otherwise respect my work) and a general POV, it's seemingly improved a lot. What happened?