Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Not only did he survive, he fled on foot. From this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah that looks insanely violent. drat

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Good thing he didn't have a passenger, gently caress.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The police department statement said he was doing in excess of 100 MPH. On a couple reddit topics people were suggesting the safety features of the model 3 were what saved this guy, I disagreed. What saved this guy was the blind luck that the front left quarter of the car was the only portion that didn't bounce off trees and utility poles as he pinballed off the environment. Considering the right side of the vehicle is mostly missing and the rear left was obviously wrapped around the utility pole, only the front left is still recognizable as the remains of a model 3. Someone else said the battery pack became an unintentional crumple zone. Had there been a passenger in there, they would have died for sure.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Pretty much nothing is going to have a favorable survival rate at that speed of impact. I imagine Tesla might have the telemetry data. I'm curious of the actual speed, and I hope it gets revealed. That dude is lucky as hell to have survived relatively unharmed in addition to not killing someone else.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I mean, I'm guessing the car did as well as it could have. They do crash test very well last I remember. But physics is physics

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah you can see these kinds of impact sometimes, there are photos of cars cleanly split in two from going sideways into a tree, but the driver walked away because the tree passed through just behind the seat. A foot forward, and he'd be toast. The M3 is a safe car by all accounts but it'll lose against a tree every time.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Bandire posted:

Pretty much nothing is going to have a favorable survival rate at that speed of impact. I imagine Tesla might have the telemetry data. I'm curious of the actual speed, and I hope it gets revealed. That dude is lucky as hell to have survived relatively unharmed in addition to not killing someone else.

I suppose it depends on if the main computers and cellular modem survived the crash and had a surviving power source long enough to upload the telemetry data. The 12v battery is pretty close to the center line of the car so there still should have been some power there, but I don't know where the computer is and if it can draw from the 12v in that kind of situation. A significant portion of the main pack was destroyed so that probably blew all the fuses, and the disconnect for the 12v system is on the right side in the rear seat. It wouldn't surprise me if the whole vehicle including the 12v system lost power after whatever took off the right side.

Although I'd imagine even if they have the data this particular crash would filed in the "irrelevant" category because of the speeds involved. There isn't really anything any automaker could do about >100 MPH collisions with trees other than "Uhhh, don't do that!".

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I thought Tesla had some live or near live feed of telemetry data. Maybe I'm mistaken. Its just morbid curiosity of how far in excess of 100mph does that much damage to what is considered a safe car.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Also amazing the car didn't burn to a crisp. I think there is still only one documented case of a 3's whole pack catching fire-- that russian crash.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/12/tesla-fire-moscow-explosions-autopilot/

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
It is live, but that is only the basic telemetry (GPS/controls/temperatures/power consumption). The stuff that they really like to see after a crash is the cameras which they do not stream live for obvious reasons (the cars are probably hard coded to dump the camera buffer to the mothership after any event that deploys an airbag and or whatever other methods they use to detect collisions). So yeah, they probably do have the basic telemetry up to about a second before impact at a minimum.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Bandire posted:

Pretty much nothing is going to have a favorable survival rate at that speed of impact.

That's why you either want to not wear your seatbelt so you're thrown free of the crash, or be riding a motorcycle but don't wear a helmet because it adds too much weight to your head when you crash.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Indiana_Krom posted:

Although I'd imagine even if they have the data this particular crash would filed in the "irrelevant" category because of the speeds involved. There isn't really anything any automaker could do about >100 MPH collisions with trees other than "Uhhh, don't do that!".

They could limit max speed based on which road you're on. Or just whatever the top speed limit in the country is. Both of these, I imagine, are < 100 mph.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

RZA Encryption posted:

They could limit max speed based on which road you're on. Or just whatever the top speed limit in the country is. Both of these, I imagine, are < 100 mph.

His parents (it was their car) could have already limited the top speed to as low as 55 MPH and or forced the car into chill/valet mode from the app. Given that he was well known for driving recklessly in the neighborhood, they probably should have.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah, but like, at what point is it irresponsible for manufacturers to allow cars to go 100 mph unless the gps agrees you're not on a public road.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

Yeah, but like, at what point is it irresponsible for manufacturers to allow cars to go 100 mph unless the gps agrees you're not on a public road.

Why bother with gps? You could just lock it at max speed limit and say gently caress it you can't drive faster than this, no matter which road you are on. If you want to go super fast on your private road, build your own private car.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
My Kia Soul is limited to 90mph, lol. But it has the aerodynamics of a brick. Surprisingly the low rolling resistance tires aren't too bad though.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
This dude buys crashed Tesla’s or their MCU/storage and then posts the (fairly horrible warning ⚠️) worst failures on this twitter page

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ola posted:

Why bother with gps? You could just lock it at max speed limit and say gently caress it you can't drive faster than this, no matter which road you are on. If you want to go super fast on your private road, build your own private car.

I think in Japan the R35 GT-Rs do this, they only unlock all the performance if the GPS recognizes you're at one of the racing circuits in the country.

where the gently caress can you even get close to 100 mph in Corvallis, jesus. It's kind of lost amongst the "the batteries went flying!" headlines that a goddamned tire went through somebody's window too.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

tranten posted:

How long did it take to get your stickers? I’ve been waiting forever!

A bit over two months

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

harperdc posted:

where the gently caress can you even get close to 100 mph in Corvallis, jesus. It's kind of lost amongst the "the batteries went flying!" headlines that a goddamned tire went through somebody's window too.
Not a window, it went through a bathroom wall with plumbing in it even. Not all cars have high voltage lithium battery packs, but all cars do have wheels. Of course the wheel didn't then proceed to start a small fire like the two batteries did.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
On a lighter note than the Tesla manned MIRV, today I did a road trip. Officially it was to get a flavor of Monster not sold in my state. Unofficially it was to get my first experience driving past my Bolt's range and using DCFC

Instead of posting a giant wall of text, I'll just link the r/boltev post I made:
https://www.reddit.com/r/BoltEV/comments/jy3fb5/made_my_first_long_road_trip_for_some_monster/

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Looks like VW is delaying the ID.4 in the US. When I went to the order confirmation page, it now says early 2021 instead of late 2020. Unsurprising, since it sounds like VW is missing their targets in europe.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

stirlo posted:

This dude buys crashed Tesla’s or their MCU/storage and then posts the (fairly horrible warning ⚠️) worst failures on this twitter page

That's an interesting feed. Reading that maybe it's unsurprising that

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mtass7/status/1168444552732192769

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
"Teslas seem to attract dickhead drivers" goes to the C-SPAM Muskchat thread please.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

On a lighter note than the Tesla manned MIRV, today I did a road trip. Officially it was to get a flavor of Monster not sold in my state. Unofficially it was to get my first experience driving past my Bolt's range and using DCFC

Instead of posting a giant wall of text, I'll just link the r/boltev post I made:
https://www.reddit.com/r/BoltEV/comments/jy3fb5/made_my_first_long_road_trip_for_some_monster/

Driving across state lines to get some monster special flavor when COVID cases are rampant seems like a pretty insane decision.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Driving across state lines to get some monster special flavor when COVID cases are rampant seems like a pretty insane decision.

It seems pretty low risk to me.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

WHAT loving FLAVOR WAS IT FFS.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The original sugar free blue monsters are becoming harder and harder to find :(

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

gwrtheyrn posted:

Looks like VW is delaying the ID.4 in the US. When I went to the order confirmation page, it now says early 2021 instead of late 2020. Unsurprising, since it sounds like VW is missing their targets in europe.

It was pushed 6 months back a couple months ago but must not have been updated everywhere. Going to be interesting seeing the German vs US versions when it changes over in 22, too.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Walking into a literally empty Pilot station seemed pretty safe to me. Especially when my day job is retail.

Elviscat posted:

WHAT loving FLAVOR WAS IT FFS.

Assault

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 21, 2020

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ola posted:

We have speed caps for electric bikes and scooters, but not cars for some reason

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Walking into a literally empty Pilot station seemed pretty safe to me. Especially when my day job is retail.

Assault

Oh, so there was no staff at the gas station?

Let’s break it down:

You’re near Columbus according to the Reddit post. You’re presumably in Franklin county. Franklin County is at level 4, the highest level on the COVID map. They’re also under a stay at home order:

quote:

In response to the Ohio Public Advisory System designating Franklin County Level 4 or “purple,” Franklin County Public Health and Columbus Public Health further stress the vital importance of the Stay at Home Advisory issued yesterday. It is critical that all residents stay at home to the greatest extent possible. Residents are advised to only leave home to go to work or school or for essential needs such as medical care, groceries, medicine and food pick up.

So instead of following state mandates, or even common sense, you decide to travel a few hundred miles to another state for some sugar water you can buy online and have delivered to your house.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Jymmybob posted:

It was pushed 6 months back a couple months ago but must not have been updated everywhere. Going to be interesting seeing the German vs US versions when it changes over in 22, too.

It was only opened for orders a couple months ago. This is a change from the dates they were giving after they opened orders

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

pointsofdata posted:

We have speed caps for electric bikes and scooters, but not cars for some reason

Revenue.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

pointsofdata posted:

I think all EVs I know of have electronic speed limiters, bikes and cars. But they're limited by the motor max rated RPM or amps or some such, not anything to do with speed limits. VW ID3 is limited to 100 mph, which is very reasonable for a German car.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Oh, so there was no staff at the gas station?

Let’s break it down:

You’re near Columbus according to the Reddit post. You’re presumably in Franklin county. Franklin County is at level 4, the highest level on the COVID map. They’re also under a stay at home order:

So instead of following state mandates, or even common sense, you decide to travel a few hundred miles to another state for some sugar water you can buy online and have delivered to your house.

There was staff behind a plexiglass barrier. All of us wear masks. Literally the whole trip that was the most contact I had. There's more risk clocking in at my job. I've stayed home literally all summer. I haven't gotten a haircut at all. I do curbside for groceries. Going to work is the only place I step foot in. And you know what? I actually did order a case online. And I got shipped the wrong flavor. So I got a refund. And tried again. Same loving problem. Not to mention this was more of a test of actually using public chargers more than anything. If they were busy, I'd have went to a few nearby places I'd mapped out. But luckily they weren't.

I've done loving nothing all year and tortured myself staying home all while everyone else in my city has fun with flagrant disregard for common sense. So don't lecture me for doing something that ended up being more safe than going inside a grocery store

Edit: That probably deserves a probe but I wanted to get it off my chest. I apologise for the derail

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Since it would cost me $500+ to have the 220v dryer socket fixed to actually deliver 220v (electrician wants over $1000, landlord would split) I've been using just level one charging and that's good enough since I only have one trip a week to Los Angeles (from North County San Diego). Also besides the top off at home, in LA I rarely pay for charging. There's the free charging sites (Volta) and level one at the office and sometimes at the apartment (they never authorized me for the Charge Point in that garage so F them).

Last night we went out on errands and free charged at Volta to 250 miles of range (2 sessions, 1 and 2 hours each).

Having a folding bike makes it easy just to park and charge at Volta. Rarely I do a 80% fast charge at EVGo.

(Kia Niro EV).

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

VideoGameVet posted:

Since it would cost me $500+ to have the 220v dryer socket fixed to actually deliver 220v (electrician wants over $1000, landlord would split) I've been using just level one charging and that's good enough since I only have one trip a week to Los Angeles (from North County San Diego). Also besides the top off at home, in LA I rarely pay for charging. There's the free charging sites (Volta) and level one at the office and sometimes at the apartment (they never authorized me for the Charge Point in that garage so F them).

Last night we went out on errands and free charged at Volta to 250 miles of range (2 sessions, 1 and 2 hours each).

Having a folding bike makes it easy just to park and charge at Volta. Rarely I do a 80% fast charge at EVGo.

(Kia Niro EV).
I don't know how well it would go over if you reported it to the local building inspector as a code violation. Might be kind of a jerk move, but at the same time having an outlet wired incorrectly is a safety hazard (although a 240 outlet only being wired for 120 is probably less so than the reverse would be). Although even if you did report it your cost would probably be the same, I guess it is up to your as long as your EVSE equipment is handling it fine. Perhaps a less costly alternative would be to just have it swapped with a 120v only receptical to eliminate the risk/confusion.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Edit: That probably deserves a probe but I wanted to get it off my chest. I apologise for the derail

Honestly a giant monster energy drink on your rap sheet owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
How accurate was Tesla's delivery estimate for others in the thread? They updated mine a couple days ago to a window of now through the 28th. Don't have a VIN yet, and haven't seen anything about payment arrangements. If delivery is Friday do I have to show up at 5am and trample someone to get the car?