Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

dantheman650 posted:

I’m looking for the comfiest possible men’s house slipper. Especially since I’m working from home these days, I’d love something I can comfortably wear all day. They should be light and and soft and keep my feet toasty when it’s cold.

Glerups (i wear the high tops and i'm never going back) - you can get them with indoor soles or outdoor soles depending on your pref

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I was thinking about getting a rowing machine for some low impact exercise but I don't know much about the various styles of them and types of resistance. Are there major differences between magnetic vs water in terms of durability or strength of resistance? How much should I expect to spend for a quality machine used or new?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Concept 2 is definitely the standard when it comes to rowers. They're 900 bucks but you definitely get what you pay for. They also hold their value quite well. I sold one that was 15-20 years old (I got it used, not sure on exact age) 2 years ago for 300 bucks. Went within the hour on Craigslist so I probably under priced it. With pandemic going on it might be tough to find one new or used though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
when did someone last recommend a water flosser? I have one of these and it has dramatically improved my gum health.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterpik-Flo...24-135149aa9081

my teeth are an unmitigated disaster, and I have lost far too many fillings to accidentally snagging them on thread floss, so I switched to this. it does an incredible job at getting out little food bits and while it hurt initially because my gums were so painfully sensitive, now it's not a problem even at higher settings, and it gets stuff out from under the gumline too.

I will never use thread floss again. this thing is a miracle machine. I'm sure there's arguments for regular floss, but the waterpik doesn't snag on fillings or whatever, and has greatly reduced discomfort in my teeth and gums. It's great. Minimal effort to use, too, although it is a bit messy.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Just FYI, irrigators such as WaterPik should be used as a SUPPLEMENT to flossing, not as an ALTERNATIVE. if you want to keep your teeth, you must still floss.

E. Honestly, ask your dentist.

E2. Again, YMMV, but you have a lot of feeling in your teeth’s roots that you lose if you get implants/dentures.

Brother Tadger has a new favorite as of 22:41 on Nov 21, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
way too late for that, friend. if I could afford it, I'd have all my teeth ripped out and implants put in, they're all so jacked.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

way too late for that, friend. if I could afford it, I'd have all my teeth ripped out and implants put in, they're all so jacked.

I have a friend that ended up doing that, might be something to ask your dental insurance about? I believe his insurance covered all of the teeth because he wasn't able to eat properly. I was sitting next to him and a tooth broke while he was eating an apple.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol, dental insurance

but seriously, the insurance I have covers 50% of implants. which is, uh, still well over ten grand for the procedure out of pocket.

I eventually want to get it done, but right now it's not really doable, my teeth are hosed, yeah, but I can keep getting them patched up until I can get'em all ripped out of my drat head

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

A request:

I want to get my father-in-law like, the simplest imaginable mp3 player. He's got Parkinsons and dementia (and a host of other issues), so it needs to be sturdy, have big physical buttons, be dead simple to operate, and...that's about it. Touch screen is out, he won't use them. Doesn't need a screen at all. I want to load it up with a bunch of songs so he can just put in headphones and push like one button. I basically want a portable/pocket-size version of the iGuerburn simple seniors music player. Anyone have any ideas?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
The ipod shuffle does exactly that but not sure if they are still obtainable.

Found this on Amazon when googling ipod shuffle.

https://www.amazon.com/AGPTEK-Shuff...06494359&sr=8-8

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

bamhand posted:

The ipod shuffle does exactly that but not sure if they are still obtainable.

Found this on Amazon when googling ipod shuffle.

https://www.amazon.com/AGPTEK-Shuff...06494359&sr=8-8
My one concern about the shuffle or similar is the size - there's a really good chance he'd drop or lose it, or not have the fine motor control to work the pretty small buttons. Ideally sort of walkman size would be the answer, though I get that's not the usual thing any more.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Music & Memory also seems to like the iPod Shuffle (or iTouch) but I guess it really depends on each person using it.

Would the older models of SanDisk Sansa Clip be any better? They're pretty small too.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Have you tried checking out AARP or Alz.org (Alzheimer's site) to see if they recommend anything? Googling "dementia mp3 player" nets a bunch of results but I don't have any personal experience of any of them.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Any recommendations for police/fire scanners? I would prefer one that is for vehicles over the handheld but either would work.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Digital Jedi posted:

Any recommendations for police/fire scanners? I would prefer one that is for vehicles over the handheld but either would work.

https://m.broadcastify.com/listen/near

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Yea i use that or scanner radio app on my phone. But my dad is a luddite that doesn't have a smartphone. So I need a physical scanner.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I posted this in the R/C thread over in AI, but I thought I'd get advice from the home team, as well:

I want to get a cool R/C car or truck for my nephews (ages 4 and 7). It needs to be playable-with right out of the box (when browsing, I thought something like the Comical Hornet looked cool as hell, but it requires buying / installing separate parts), and needs to be able to go off-road. Everything else generally desirable in an R/C car (speed, durability, not looking dorky) you can take as given.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Inspector 34 posted:

I was thinking about getting a rowing machine for some low impact exercise but I don't know much about the various styles of them and types of resistance. Are there major differences between magnetic vs water in terms of durability or strength of resistance? How much should I expect to spend for a quality machine used or new?

I'm going to assume you don't have much rowing experience, then?

I recently bought this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009QXP77I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's crazy cheap, simple and takes 5 minutes to set up. I'd suggest grabbing one of these to see if you like this type of exercise and want to move on to a more advanced machine later. It's a perfectly good piece to get you moving on a regular basis. It's effectively silent and fantastic for plopping in front of a TV for an hour. I have ADD and have a hard time exercising because if I have to count reps, I will go insane. This lets me mentally check-out for a while and get a good sweat going.

:siren: KNOW THIS
-This model is hydraulic, so it is not as smooth as a normal machine. Your flow is going to be different.
-The bar is rigid which means you're not going to get the full range of motion unless you're on the shorter side.
-Do not buy this if you're over six feet tall. I'm 6' and it just barely fits me.
-Like all rowing machines, this is a fine workout for almost your whole body. Your chest and biceps will need additional attention.

Magnetic and fan machines are the most common. Fans are the loudest (but still not crazy loud) and easiest to maintain. Magnetic coils are very quiet but from what I've seen can break somewhat easily and are a bitch to fix.
Water machines offer THE BEST rowing experience because it is so goddamn smooth. The resistance is based on how full the tank is so I suggest keeping it full at all times and adjusting your pace instead.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
You assume correctly! I have almost zero experience rowing but it seems like it'll take up less space in my office when not in use compared to alternatives and it sounds like it can provide a decent workout. I'm not training for anything, just trying to get the ol heart rate up a few more times each week. I saw that model you linked but thought it looked kinda janky so I opted for the $250 magnetic one also from Sunny. From what you said I'd probably be a touch too tall for that thing anyway so I'm not too heartbroken that I ordered something else before seeing your post.

I haven't had a chance to actually try out the one I bought yet, but I might also just be making excuses at this point since it's been about 10 days since it arrived. The fuckers just left it propped up against the front door at my work even after I spent time the previous day verifying our business hours and when they *should* deliver it.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

black.lion posted:

Glerups (i wear the high tops and i'm never going back) - you can get them with indoor soles or outdoor soles depending on your pref

Yo these look amazing and are definitely on the list now. Thank you.

I bought a Neater Feeder because I was tired of slipping on my dog’s slobber and it has been wonderful. If you have a slobbery dog, you should have one of these.

Moot .1415926535 has a new favorite as of 15:18 on Dec 3, 2020

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Inspector 34 posted:

You assume correctly! I have almost zero experience rowing but it seems like it'll take up less space in my office when not in use compared to alternatives and it sounds like it can provide a decent workout. I'm not training for anything, just trying to get the ol heart rate up a few more times each week. I saw that model you linked but thought it looked kinda janky so I opted for the $250 magnetic one also from Sunny. From what you said I'd probably be a touch too tall for that thing anyway so I'm not too heartbroken that I ordered something else before seeing your post.

I haven't had a chance to actually try out the one I bought yet, but I might also just be making excuses at this point since it's been about 10 days since it arrived. The fuckers just left it propped up against the front door at my work even after I spent time the previous day verifying our business hours and when they *should* deliver it.

I'd very curious to know how you like the magnetic one and how long it holds up. I can't quite afford the water model I want so I might take a step in-between.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I'd very curious to know how you like the magnetic one and how long it holds up. I can't quite afford the water model I want so I might take a step in-between.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017HSNIEW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I got this on sale like 6 months ago and it works fine, though I've definitely not used it nearly enough.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Mom's asking for a yoga mat for Christmas, what are the good brands? I don't mind going a little expensive since she's going to be a little sad when I tell her I'm not traveling for Christmas.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

C-Euro posted:

Mom's asking for a yoga mat for Christmas, what are the good brands? I don't mind going a little expensive since she's going to be a little sad when I tell her I'm not traveling for Christmas.

For ~$125 you can get the top of the line Manduka Pro. I got one a few years ago and it's waaaay better than the cheap ones ($20-30) at Target. I went through a couple of the cheap ones before I decided to splurge. The cheap ones would get little tears and get stains pretty quickly. The Manduka is thinner (denser) but more firm and more cushiony at the same time. It's closed-cell which means easier to clean and more hygienic (just wipe it down, no stains). Downsides are that it's heavier and more pricy. There's less expensive options from Manduka as well but I got mine "used" from Amazon Warehouse. The packaging was ripped but was obviously never opened and I didn't care about the color. They got a lighter Pro-lite option if she's carrying it around a lot too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Any recommendations for the best, most durable, strongest, all-powerful nail clippers on planet earth? Who makes the best nail clippers, of any sort? I have a pair I have used forever but they have a tiny nick in the jaws that no longer leaves a clean cut.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'm not an expert but the Revlon one we have is certainly the best I've used in my life.

https://www.amazon.com/Revlon-Salon-Professional-Nail-Clipper/dp/B078HH45P5

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Any recommendations for the best, most durable, strongest, all-powerful nail clippers on planet earth? Who makes the best nail clippers, of any sort? I have a pair I have used forever but they have a tiny nick in the jaws that no longer leaves a clean cut.

Seki Edge. https://www.jatai.net/seki-edge/. Available on Amazon

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Something Japanese. I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Green-Bell-G-1008-Clipper-Takumi/dp/B000FQS9AC/

It's big with a long lever for maximum... leverage, I guess. It doesn't have an enclosed body so clippings tend to fly out every which way.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/the-best-nail-clippers/

Personally I’ve been a huge fan of tweezerman clippers. I’ve slowly been replacing and stashing a set in every medicine cabinet and travel bag. They just work extremely well and don’t go all catterjawed like the regular ones

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I use these clippers for my fingernails, and like them a lot.

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-8...s=beauty&sr=1-3

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

C-Euro posted:

I've been practicing yoga for 13 years and I would absolutely get a Manduka. I've had mine for years and it's held up flawlessly (no dumb curl like cheap mats get, for instance), though they take a little bit of prep work early on. Pro is heavier and denser (and what I would get), Pro Lite is thinner but if you travel a lot and the extra pound will break you, it's a reasonable alternative.

The only thing to note is that they come out of the factory a little "waxy", so you should salt them before using (just cover it in salt and rub it around like you're curing meat and leave it outside -- there's instructions). You can just use it as-is just fine, but if you have poor form you might find it slick. Cheaper mats compensate for this by being overly soft and way too sticky, which material wears out quickly and also makes people develop a bad habit of sinking their weight into their extremities because the mat will stop them. Just something to note if you're coming from one of those spongy mats.

Over time, the mat "breaks in" on its own and improves as well, so if you're a serious practitioner, the mat will pull ahead of anything else.

You could also get a little towel for it if you're just one of those horribly drippy people when you practice.

e: You could do a set if you want blocks or whatever. Their blocks are really well made, very dense, not like the cheap cork ones.

PRADA SLUT has a new favorite as of 19:04 on Dec 15, 2020

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I purchased this a few years ago and I hated it. The thing seems pretty bulky but the actual thing that you put your nail into seemed a bit small. But it was very sharp.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm using nail clippers I stole from my dad when I moved out. They're probably fifty years old and seem to still work well. I expect they will outlast me.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I used to use MUJI clippers and I was happy with them.
Large: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IJE7KOS
Small: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ECPRRIC

Then I got gifted a Suwada and can't go back now. I'm not sure if this the model I have but it looks close enough: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UL64H2
It's expensive as hell for nail clippers and no clipping catcher. But man is it satisfying to use.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

OSU_Matthew posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/the-best-nail-clippers/

Personally I’ve been a huge fan of tweezerman clippers. I’ve slowly been replacing and stashing a set in every medicine cabinet and travel bag. They just work extremely well and don’t go all catterjawed like the regular ones
Those Green Bell clippers look perfect. I've decided for christmas gifts this year I'm buying folks "top tier" everyday use items. nail clippers, AA batteries(eneloop packs + chargers), that sort of thing.

man, eneloops are godsends. back when they first released them, I bought an 8-pack and a charger. They are only now, almost a decade later, noticeably losing their charging capability. I spent like, 20 bucks on them, I think. For ten years of almost everyday use, that's goddamn phenomenal.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Tweezerman is great and I think still has free sharpening for life

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Captain Invictus posted:

mlnhd posted:

Something Japanese. I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Green-Bell-G-1008-Clipper-Takumi/dp/B000FQS9AC/

It's big with a long lever for maximum... leverage, I guess. It doesn't have an enclosed body so clippings tend to fly out every which way.
Seconding Green Bell. I bought a basic pair in the airport when changing planes in Osaka about ten years ago and they've been outstanding. They're impressively sharp, and the cutting action is very smooth. The blades on some cheaper ones (like drug store beauty brand) also seemed sharp enough but not always aligned, like they would kind of tear the nail rather than cutting cleanly.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Inzombiac posted:

So far I like it a lot! Obviously it's too soon to talk about long term durability but it's quiet and powerful enough for my piece of poo poo out of shape self. I tend to go with the highest resistance setting, which feels easy early on but after 5+ minutes it's definitely a struggle. I've always struggled with pacing myself though, even when I was running 4-5 nights a week. It always seemed like my comfort pace would leave me winded and struggling through the last 1/4 of my route so with that in mind I might go with a lower resistance every other workout just to get more time in and then increase duration on the higher setting as I go.

It's pretty quiet with the loudest noise just being the seat rollers but the magnetic resistance is not silky smooth. Maybe it's just me getting fatigued over time but it always feels really smooth at the beginning and then ever so slightly chunky toward the end. As long as this thing doesn't give me any big reliability issues in the near future I'll feel like I got my money's worth.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Don't mean to double post, but it's been about 3 weeks so maybe it's ok...

My wife really wants a telescope and I'd like to get her one for her birthday. Budget is about $400 and we live in the Portland, Or area so there is a fair amount of light pollution. I'm looking for something that is easy to use (we're beginners) and can maybe be used to take pictures of what we see. I was hoping there would be a local option for buying one, but it seems like I might have to venture out online. Would prefer not to give my stimulus bucks to Bezos but it seems like I might have to for this particular buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Inspector 34 posted:

Would prefer not to give my stimulus bucks to Bezos but it seems like I might have to for this particular buy.

I can't recommend any specific models from experience, but B&H (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse/Telescope-Optical-Tube-Assemblies/ci/3384/N/4100994429) has a pretty wide selection.