Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

Has anyone ever "impressed" the gods? Because I did that one run and i don't even know how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Seven Force posted:

Has anyone ever "impressed" the gods? Because I did that one run and i don't even know how.

It means you had a projectile go infinite, usually by messing with its duration and/or firing off some ridiculous lag cannon.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I think the easiest way is to go for enough -duration mods to wrap around or hit some kind of hard coded limit. I've never intentionally done it.

Also I dunno if it has any tangible effects?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Post poste posted:

It makes me wish for a "reverse explosion" that forcefully rips gold out of weaker materials.

Oh man "Powder vacuum" is a great spell idea

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Give it a broom icon, too.

Some other beta changes I've seen in this playthrough:

Temple of the art: colored crystals spawn throughout the level that have effects when messed with. One seems to grant shields when you kick it and floats around like a worm crystal. One causes an earthquake around it when blown up. Another seems to turn nearby terrain into cursed rock when destroyed.

A hidden area: Desert chasm orb room location is now encased by a magical temple biome, along with a new biome called "wizard's den" that is like temple of the art but with a palette swap and houses every 'spellcaster' enemy in the game, including some new and higher-end ones. Incredibly dangerous, a swap mage could ruin your day if you come here unprepared

Another hidden area: "Eye" enemies in the Work (sky) are now their own variant from the hell counterpart, firing polymorph(!) projectiles instead of lava

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

dyzzy posted:

A hidden area: Desert chasm orb room location is now encased by a magical temple biome, along with a new biome called "wizard's den" that is like temple of the art but with a palette swap and houses every 'spellcaster' enemy in the game, including some new and higher-end ones. Incredibly dangerous, a swap mage could ruin your day if you come here unprepared

Another hidden area: "Eye" enemies in the Work (sky) are now their own variant from the hell counterpart, firing polymorph(!) projectiles instead of lava

It's like they're listening for the enemies that high-level players complain about and making more of them! :v:

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Also the new personal laser perk fucks you up if you fly through the hanging chains in the coal mines, so watch out for that.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The new personal laserbeam perk is rather bad, sadly. It massively fucks over your fire rate to have you constantly emit a weak, short ranged projectile that can hit you if you're up against a wall.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

dis astranagant posted:

It means you had a projectile go infinite, usually by messing with its duration and/or firing off some ridiculous lag cannon.

Does impressing the gods do something? Releasing a nega Steve into the world? A dark Steve, if you will.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I don't think it does anything.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Sadly I couldn't make the laser not deal self-damage but I'll try to get that fixed next week.

OwlFancier posted:

I would personally suggest acid would benefit from a fuming effect like some of the potions have because I also cannot see the colour difference.

I think either acid or toxic sludge (or both) have a particle effect already, but making it more intense could indeed be a good idea. Thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's like they're listening for the enemies that high-level players complain about and making more of them! :v:

I've been trying to keep the more endgamey high-level player stuff locked in areas that only those players would visit, and generally tried not to go overboard with the kind of "oh?? A player survived that bossfight??? We'll I guess I gotta make it harder then!" mindset that sometimes causes trouble with games that include difficult challenges.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

So I've sunk about 50hrs into this game and barely make it past the snowy depths most runs because I'm bad. This latest run was going pretty well until Hiisi base:

wand was mediocre/bad 980 max mana with 19 recharge, but I had in order: less mana, luminous drill w/trigger, added electricity, damage up, double cast, heavy shot. Pretty much the best wand I've ever made. I had Vampirism which was keeping me alive and electricity immunity.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anyone having trouble wrapping their head around wandcrafting should give this playlist a watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myPiGM9CBrs&list=PLGp7CTK_S__G7YSN4IMiSyJMQr_gW3xfJ

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
"The gods are impressed" just means you got a projectile's "lifetime" component to -1 (which means "infinite" in-game), so it won't despawn from timing out. It doesn't actually do anything beyond the message.

"The gods are afraid" is similar (deal over 1,000,000 in one hit).

I've just been cheating death by savescumming. I have a nice setup for once and I'm having fun exploring / doing secrets. I just wish the game would give me actually good perks instead of the garbage it's been handing out so far. :sigh:

Hempuli posted:

I've been trying to keep the more endgamey high-level player stuff locked in areas that only those players would visit, and generally tried not to go overboard with the kind of "oh?? A player survived that bossfight??? We'll I guess I gotta make it harder then!" mindset that sometimes causes trouble with games that include difficult challenges.

Kolmi (or however you write it) is a good implementation of this, where it's a trivial fight... unless you're picking up orbs (or deep in New Game ++++... runs) in which case it ramps up the difficulty quite a bit.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I almost managed to kill the Wand Collector, but then it polymorphed me near the end of the fight and my own projectiles did me in.

I also had a really weird sand chasm biome. It didn't give me the message for entering the zone, for one thing; for another, it all looked like this:

The orb room was still where it normally is, but the only enemies were weak Hiisi (like, Snowy Depths Hiisi). It also connected to the top-right corner of the orb room east of the lava lake.

pakman posted:

So I've sunk about 50hrs into this game and barely make it past the snowy depths most runs because I'm bad. This latest run was going pretty well until Hiisi base:

Everyone dies like that at least once. So, congratulations on your progress! :v:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
That's normal, you might be thinking of the area under the pyramid.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oh geeze, you're right. No wonder I felt like it went down so far.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Post poste posted:

It makes me wish for a "reverse explosion" that forcefully rips gold out of weaker materials.

The gold magnet perk should work on gold veins. You get close enough and it pulls it out through the loose ground.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

DalaranJ posted:

It auto boomerang homing's on you. That's amazing.

Or whatever your trigger spell hits?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zesty posted:

Or whatever your trigger spell hits?

in your dreams, maybe. Or if you have multiple homing effects on it to counteract the boomerang.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hempuli posted:

I think either acid or toxic sludge (or both) have a particle effect already, but making it more intense could indeed be a good idea. Thanks!

If they do I can't say I've noticed it. Acid emits gas as it dissolves things and toxic spells emit green sometimes but I have not seen either emit it in pools, I have to check every fluid manually.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Spells to Power... Hm wonder what this does...

According to the description it deletes your projectiles to boost damage of whatever the modifier applies to (from the gif it looks like indirect projectiles, like spam from Bubble Bounce, apparently don't get deleted?)

Here's a Giant Firebolt without STP and then with it.

Gotta say I have no idea whether or not it's supposed to turn a wand of "bouncy fireballs" into something more like "fuckin doomsday MIRV shotgun" but either way there's some real potential. Especially if you tag Piercing+Homing on the projectile so it does the boosted damage every frame :v:

bug(?)report edit: should probably mention that the first 3~5 times I tried to capture it in action, for some reason the spell would cast just fine but whenever I tried to record the replay the game CTD'd partway through converting to gif, so the replays all coincidentally end/loop right as the mathbomb goes off.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 22, 2020

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I had an always-cast wand with that on it as well and with a super rapid-fire projectile it's basically like charging a buster shot in a Mega Man game

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

dyzzy posted:

New sawblade spell

Go on, just cast it. You know you want to

Now we just need a "cut-proof gloves" perk that gives immunity to your own sawblades :science:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Worm never knew what hit him.

and then I figured out that I had it setup wrong

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Nov 22, 2020

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

So I made an omega sawblade that does 3.6M damage over its lifetime. Naturally I had to take it for a spin

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Hempuli posted:

We've adjusted the colours a bunch to make them more different, but there are a bunch of limitations to the colouring that make it harder to make them fully distinguishable; the game has a very high variance to the contrasts between different materials & materials and the background, so things can't be too dark or light, and the existence of various other magical liquids make it easy to make two liquids look more different and then accidentally ending up having the same issue with another pair of materials.

That said, I haven't heard that specific complaint in a long time, so I wasn't aware that it was still an issue. Thanks for reporting that, and sorry about it. For more info, are they literally indistinguishable for you, or are you talking more about a difficulty in distinguishing them when there's a lot of other stuff around them or there're only a couple pixels of either?
I may have been a bit mad from losing a long run : P and I may also be a bit red-green color blind, which might be the the reason I can't tell the difference. I probably could if they were right next to each other

I think maybe acid releasing some green bubbles or something would help

Greenplastic fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 22, 2020

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

dis astranagant posted:

So I made an omega sawblade that does 3.6M damage over its lifetime. Naturally I had to take it for a spin

This needs Yakety Sax, it's so good

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Kick Flip + Manual + Nose Grind + 540 Airwalk + Boneless = SICK COMBO

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Involuntary suicide pact :(

https://i.imgur.com/aJOcFOa.mp4

I totally did not see him pick up my old wand and plant a bomb. At least he died too.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Finally 'beat' this darn game. I got to the credits, so that counts close enough for me. Took me over 100 hours and I'd actually managed to kill the final boss before but died in the process. Unmodded.

My absolute favorite part is that regular enemies can pick up discarded wands and wreck your poo poo with them. It really puts me in mind of this comic strip:

https://gunshowcomic.com/30

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Finally 'beat' this darn game. I got to the credits, so that counts close enough for me. Took me over 100 hours and I'd actually managed to kill the final boss before but died in the process. Unmodded.

My absolute favorite part is that regular enemies can pick up discarded wands and wreck your poo poo with them. It really puts me in mind of this comic strip:

:laffo: I love this. Grats on freeing yourself from this game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I was killing everything with homing gas canisters because it was funnier that way

but all the freezing vapour makes for a pretty quick stray polymorph death, I guess I sort of deserve that

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know how the shop logic decides what to put up for sale and how much to charge for it? I noticed in the beta that if the sells spells then it'll sell twice as many as it would sell wands, which is nice...I'm wondering though if there's any other boosts to the "spells" shop vs. the wands shop. Wands seem to sell for roughly the same amount of money as spells do and usually have lots of spells on them, but if, like, there's some kind of boost to the probability of good spells in a spell shop, then that should all work out.

In other news, my latest death. Playing as a lightning witch, I dropped past a wooden explosive crate in the snowy caves...and electrified and set off the propane tank that was buried in the snow next to it. The combined explosions did me in. I'm pretty sure I had enough health to survive one of them going off...in fairness, I knew it was a bad idea to drop past without pre-emptively exploding that crate. Oh well!

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

There's a number of spells that don't show up on wands and can only be generated in spell shops or chests. All the "touch of" spells, energy shield and shield sector, etc. There's also a bunch of spells like circle of freezing and all-seeing eye that don't show up on any old wand with a random grab bag of an inventory, but can show up in shops and on semi-random wands.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Got the furthest I ever have this afternoon with this trigger thunder strike wand:

I replaced the energy ball with a sparkbolt later

Then I died here, like this and thread title applies:

First time I ever got to this level and those plasma trap things had started to show up in the snowy depths. I had never seen them before, but didn't bother with them in the depths because they weren't really in my way. Had no idea it turned back on after you shot it out!

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

https://i.imgur.com/qUJDVFg.mp4
:shepface:

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Perfect. :golfclap:

What was on the wand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

Dont feel too bad. It took me 150 hours to get win 1. I now have 6 wins and like 750 deaths. I have been playing on nightmare mode a bit, which is insanely hard, but a lot of fun because you get a lot more interesting stuff earlier on.

Edit: The number of times i died in an amazing run because i fell into lava because i ran out of stamia is beyond what it should be.

EDit 2:

I have learned to be super careful with always cast, especially when that always cast is an explosive

strategery fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 23, 2020