Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

trucutru posted:

I'm sorry to inform that the elevator panel updates is now 12% less done than last week. Stay strong commandos.

A burning question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Meanwhile, on reddit:

No need to thanks me, you're welcome!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

trucutru posted:

You can find them in army surplus stores and gun shows. They succkkkk (an exception are the EU ones that are just a bunch of off-the-shelf cans with stuff that people actually voluntarily pay for), not as much as SC of course, but it ain't a good experience unless you're like my cousin who once remarked that dried dog food "was ok".

And it wasn't even expensive dog food.

It's really just a curiosity thing; too much steve1989 / wondering how they stack up to school cafeteria food.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

I had so much fun the free fly event I was in like two or three ago that I'm sitting this one out girls and boys. Y'all have fun now. Looking forward to being convinced by you how awesome everything is now.

Well I can see someone is not keen on having their dick slammed in the door. :negative:

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

I've played the game for a writeup I did a while back and the thing people don't get (though those doing the free fly will learn, boy will they learn) is that, no, no one is joking or exaggerating for the sake of the joke when they talk about the tedium.

If you flat out just describe what you have to do to get to the space-flying/combat portion of the game, you sound like a lunatic because why would any game make you do all that over and over again? It's insane. But it's really true.

For example, the process for just getting into space when I played was something like:

Load the game (this take several minutes even if you have a blazing fast machine)
Wake up in your bed
Wander around trying to figure out how to get to the space dock (there's seldom much in the way of guidance and no quality of life features like arrows or a lighted trail on the floor or anything)
Marvel at the sheer amount of...just stuff! Everywhere! There's NPCs T-posing. There's weird vending machines. You get weird popups that you're hungry! You're thirsty! There's weird kiosks selling noodles and stuff. There's weird kiosks that may be for missions or insurance or whatever but none of those work.
By the way while all this is going on your computer is screaming for the sweet embrace of death at every step
You eventually figure out you can, actually, run to speed things up
...but running too much will actually kill you
So you run, stop, run, stop in short bursts because it's faster than the default speed of "mosey"
You wander through all these weirdly empty shopping districts. Perhaps you poke inside and find there's a shop "kiosk" that actually sells poo poo, but you can also walk right up to the rack and buy the jacket or whatever? Like it's kind of a cool level of detail but it's also completely insane.
Like to change floors you literally have to press a button to call the elevator, wait for it to arrive, get in the elevator, physically press the button for the floor you want, wait for it to get there, then get out. And do this every time if you're trying to run errands. And for every single floor if you need to visit multiple floors.
Get to the train going TO the space dock.
Wait for the train to arrive like one of those shuttles at the airport.
poo poo, you got on the wrong one, like those shuttles at the airport.
It's not a loading screen, you literally have to stand there and ride the train to the next stop to get off.
Get off.
Get on the right train going to the space port.
Literally ride the train for like 5-10 minutes to get there.
Get out.
Wander around until you find the ship summoning kiosk.
(This is assuming you have ships, which is a whole other adventure).
Order your ship.
It will tell you your ship is in a specific hanger.
Go to the elevators.
Do the whole elevator thing again.
What's funny is you can go to any hanger you want so you can get on/steal other people's ships and they get really mad if you do.
Get to the place where your ship is supposed to be
(Lots of time it isn't there which means you have to go back to the elevator, ride back to the main floor, go to the kiosk again, and order a different ship, then go back to the elevator, ride it BACK down...)
It is a really cool moment to walk out into the hangar and see your ship there, not gonna lie.
...but it's undercut by the fact that you have to figure out how to physically get on the ship, which means your Slow Motion Hero Walk is ruined by Malcolm Reynolds, say, bumbling around the hull of the Firefly trying to find the button that releases the elevator or the ladder or whatever so you can actually get IN the ship.
Eventually find and activate the thing to get in the ship.
Climb up and get inside the ship.
Open the door at the top of the thing to get inside the ship.
Retract the ladder or elevator or whatever.
Sometimes go and physically press a button on the ship's engine to start it.
Sometimes flail around to find the light switch to turn on the lights so you can see to press the button on the ship's engine to start it.
Physically walk up the ship to the captain's seat
Physically sit down
Physically press some buttons to get everything online
Actually call air traffic control or whatever it's called to let you leave
Wait for them to open the hanger door
Hover around in the hanger for a second and randomly crash into things because the flight controls are a combination of weirdly futzy and intricate with totally kludgy
Eventually, carefully, and hopefully you didn't blow up and die trying to get your spaceship out, you slowly and warily nose forward and...
Oh, poo poo, you're just above the city or whatever, you have to actually fly through the atmosphere and actually leave the planet
Now you're in space...
...assuming you didn't die by falling through the floor, lagging and jumping off a ledge, your character getting bugged, dying of a heart attack because you ran, lagging and running in front of the train, falling through the train and getting run over by the train, dying trying to get into your ship, dying trying to get your ship out of the hanger, dying falling through the ship because they're still buggy, dying trying to figure out how to fly the loving thing in atmosphere, or any of the ten thousand other things that kill you in this game.

Because if you do...

You start all over in your bed and have to do it all over again.

Every step of it.

Buy an Idris.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/CaptainZyloh/status/1329937822304915457

downout
Jul 6, 2009

trucutru posted:

You can find them in army surplus stores and gun shows. They succkkkk (an exception are the EU ones that are just a bunch of off-the-shelf cans with stuff that people actually voluntarily pay for), not as much as SC of course, but it ain't a good experience unless you're like my cousin who once remarked that dried dog food "was ok".

They aren't great but a good experience to try once. The ones that are the most edible are the ones that recreate already existing canned foods like ravioli or macroni and sauce. The lemon? bread and the poppy seed bread is great imo.

Just do some steady physical activity for 6 hours with no food and then dig in. It'll taste great!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

https://i.imgur.com/0tlqT2F.mp4

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

sound

https://i.imgur.com/1HQaNBG.mp4

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/NovA1990/status/1329892175723831305
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1329909030026809344

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

I'd say promote any junior devs
that worked on this
😎

say no more!

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

trucutru posted:

Meanwhile, on reddit:

No need to thanks me, you're welcome!

Love Pledge when?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

A question about server meshing posted:

quote:

Rome wasn't built in a day. You expect a mature networking solution to just fall off the back of a truck or something?

They've been actively working on the technology for months. Asking "why don't they finish it already?" assumes they're just sitting there drinking coffee and browsing Facebook instead of working hard on it.

Would you have asked NASA in 1967, "So when ARE you going to put someone on the moon? Why haven't you done it already? What are you waiting for?" Because that's kind of what you're doing here.

quote:

The way you are phrasing that implies that the only thing SC has done is work on server meshing.

NASA spent 8 years on the Apollo program and had the budgetary might of the US government and pretty much unlimited staff resources.

With a considerably smaller budget and headcount, CIG has spent 8 years (Kickstarter launched October 2012) completely rewriting the CryEngine - an engine that by default does not allow maps larger than 4x4km and does not act like an MMO at all - into an MMO-worthy engine capable of star systems 8 billion kilometers a side at millimeter precision. They spent this time creating the foundations of a space game with the ability to seamlessly fly from space to the surfaces of planets and the ability to walk around inside ships while they are in flight without physics glitching out and flinging you into another galaxy.

Both are fairly major feats in their own right.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Mirificus posted:

The way you are phrasing that implies that the only thing SC has done is work on server meshing.

NASA spent 8 years on the Apollo program and had the budgetary might of the US government and pretty much unlimited staff resources.

With a considerably smaller budget and headcount, CIG has spent 8 years (Kickstarter launched October 2012) completely rewriting the CryEngine - an engine that by default does not allow maps larger than 4x4km and does not act like an MMO at all - into an MMO-worthy engine capable of star systems 8 billion kilometers a side at millimeter precision. They spent this time creating the foundations of a space game with the ability to seamlessly fly from space to the surfaces of planets and the ability to walk around inside ships while they are in flight without physics glitching out and flinging you into another galaxy.

[/quote]

Captain! We are reaching dangerous levels of silliness!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Spuckuk posted:

:five:

edit: tax , Ragnar here was born in 2014, making him younger than starcitizen, and liable to live his entire life before this shitpile ever gets into beta.

Lovely catte, must be a fur ball machine!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

Well I can see someone is not keen on having their dick slammed in the door. :negative:

It was already a casualty of war. :patriot:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

:toot:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Dynastocles posted:

Can anyone who knows game making tell me if there's even one element of SC/S42 that is "breaking new ground" or "never been done before"? These weirdos always seem to absolve CIG for every mistake with some variant of this sentiment.

I have a feeling that the answer is no -- procedural planets, MMO, getting into ships, etc is stuff we've all seen in games for almost a decade now -- but I wanted to know if there's any concept at all that hasn't been done before, and done better.

quote:

It doesn't matter if something similar has been done in other games, it hasn't ever been done in the CryEngine at the level Star Citizen needs.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Mirificus posted:

quote:

It doesn't matter if something similar has been done in other games, it hasn't ever been done in the CryEngine at the level Star Citizen needs.

Technically correct. It has not been done... definitely not by CI!G

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mirificus posted:

Has anyone asked this knobber why anyone in their right mind would try rewriting CryEngine in the first place?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
I like big bugs...

NOMAD CARGO AREA CAUSING PLAYER TO BECOME SHORTER WHILE IT'S OPENED IN EVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cesOadPy2g

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
you idiots, you fools, you swine. can't you see that nobody - NOBODY - has ever even TRIED to slam their dick in a car door WHILE the car is moving and ON FIRE. we are truly on the bleeding edge of innovation here

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sunswipe posted:

Has anyone asked this knobber why anyone in their right mind would try rewriting CryEngine in the first place?

Sunk cost.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Some Goon posted:

It's really just a curiosity thing; too much steve1989 / wondering how they stack up to school cafeteria food.

I recall liking most of the MREs I've tried, actually. I think the only one I didn't like was the jambalaya? But YMMV

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

One small detail that constantly keeps bugging me is their timeline: how they shifted time forward 930 years from the present, and then just keep going at real time.

Why 930 years? Why real time? Why the gently caress keep up this pretense that their backers are attending Citizencon 2950 or whatever the gently caress?

I know it's a small detail but it feels like one of those handwavy distractions where they hope nobody notices there's about a saucer's worth of gameplay in their game after almost 9 years.

Posting from the past...

This is the REAL pipeline. 1 system in 9 years, 100 systems by 930 years. AAAA :iiasb:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kosumo posted:

Lovely catte, must be a fur ball machine!

We regularly groom yarn ball size chunks from the beast, black clothes are a thing of the past.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

That's why they're sticking with it, but what's the reasoning cultists have for the great Chris Roberts choosing to rewrite the least appropriate engine available?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

trucutru posted:

I tried dried cat food when I was a little kid and I actually recall it being pretty good. Savoury. :yum:

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

That's why they're sticking with it, but what's the reasoning cultists have for the great Chris Roberts choosing to rewrite the least appropriate engine available?

Probably something about how when they first started working on the game Cryengine was good enough(it wasn't), but when they decided to make it an MMO they had to rebuild it to make it work(it won't work).

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

feedmegin posted:

I tried dried cat food when I was a little kid and I actually recall it being pretty good. Savoury. :yum:

Plenty of umami flavor with a sweet palate and a clear aftertaste... yes, this "meow mix" is choice.

Now, for my next trick... blue cheese on tacos, with a dollop of yogurt.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

I tried a dog biscuit once and it tasted like a big rear end block of Grape-Nuts cereal. Welp that's my story thanks for listening.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk-Br9AVVXU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
So I was hoping for more trip reports from people having tons of fun. I'll guess you guys are too immersed and haven't time to post. :)

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I tried to try the free fly as a Star Citizen virgin because I hate myself and everything I love. It took about 3 1/2 hours to download the game.

I did not do as well as Rotten Red Rod.

Said gently caress it and OK'd my space lady's invisible looks. I was taking notes. I OKed my transparent face at about 6:15. The loading screen actually looked OK. At 6:29 I got an error message that Star Citizen crashed unexpectedly. LOL. My laptop's fans were going super hard and it was getting pretty hot, so maybe I will try again in an hour when the poor thing cools down?

E: my one goal is to get to see a bartender. I'm drinking beers, might as well get a fake space one too!

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 22, 2020

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Titanic posted:

So I was hoping for more trip reports from people having tons of fun. I'll guess you guys are too immersed and haven't time to post. :)

I just built a new PC and don't even want to sully it with CIG's bytes.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

I have no intention in ever playing this game, but i thoroughly enjoy you guys just making GBS threads on it :laugh:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Seek help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I wonder how many more ships from Elite, that actual game you can play, Cronch Robots and co will rip off and make look like total garbage.
Do we have a pool running for when Relic finally loses his goddamn mind, because Im starting to detect the stench of desparation off that dude.