Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Holy poo poo I downloaded the NFS reboot thingy and I was not prepared for the live action cutscenes. It made me feel bad about myself so I uninstalled it and went to bed lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Can't remember if this was mentioned in this thread or not, but in the spirit of putting forth a game where the Xbox version is the top performer, Deadly Premonition is re-listed digitally in North America.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

After hearing about Deadpool 3 getting the green light from Disney I really hope they sort out the X-Men licensing mess so Marvel vs. Capcom 2 can finally be relisted on digital stores.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Happy Hedonist posted:

Holy poo poo I downloaded the NFS reboot thingy and I was not prepared for the live action cutscenes. It made me feel bad about myself so I uninstalled it and went to bed lol.

I played the demo awhile back, and the cutscenes were so cheesy that it was semi-enjoyable. The gameplay seemed fun enough as well. I started playing Heat the other day, and it's alright. Mostly been enjoying FH4 on PC at 120fps though, cannot wait for FH5!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

Can't remember if this was mentioned in this thread or not, but in the spirit of putting forth a game where the Xbox version is the top performer, Deadly Premonition is re-listed digitally in North America.

It was mentioned but its important
Dark souls and deadly premonition back to back on 360 were an important turning point in this gamers life

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

BisterdDave posted:

I played the demo awhile back, and the cutscenes were so cheesy that it was semi-enjoyable. The gameplay seemed fun enough as well. I started playing Heat the other day, and it's alright. Mostly been enjoying FH4 on PC at 120fps though, cannot wait for FH5!

I was gonna give Heat a shot today actually but then I noticed Most Wanted is on EA play for PC so I’m playing that instead. :cool:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

The benefit of a console is one target and tools that are as close "to the metal" as you can get so when xbox fucks all that up with 5 targets and layers of abstraction 3rd party devs are going to encounter issues that are very funny and the weaker, single sku console is going to look like its punching above its weight.
Very few games are even made for one single platform anyway, and Direct3D 12 is pretty good.

For a developer wanting to release on several platforms the GDK is a definite boon.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Akuma posted:

Very few games are even made for one single platform anyway, and Direct3D 12 is pretty good.

For a developer wanting to release on several platforms the GDK is a definite boon.

Yeah im not trying to say its bad, its shaking things up and trying a new approach and theres growing pains for outside devs

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

BisterdDave posted:

Mostly been enjoying FH4 on PC at 120fps though, cannot wait for FH5!

You might be waiting a while. The next Forza game will be a Motorsport title that we've seen a teaser trailer for, and now Playground Studios has a second team that has announced their Fable title and will no doubt be working on but not release FH5 until at least a year or two after the next Forza Motorsport game launches. Hopefully it's out sometime next year? The brief clips look nice but their slow turn to boring flat real-world tracks and less fictional circuits has been depressing to watch because much like Gran Turismo, the best tracks in these games are always the fictional circuits. It's why PD were smart to reveal GT7 with Trial Mountain footage.

I'm so sick of racing round Silverstone in these games :negative:

Anyways, here's the new Forza teaser. Not much but claims to be 'in-engine' with some clips of racing at Laguna Seca:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bfC-vvlbHc

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.

SUNKOS posted:

I grabbed Control and saw the high praise but noticed one of the add-ons is focused on Alan Wake and I was contemplating picking it up via BC, is it worth it? It seems kinda Twin Peaks-ish?

Guess Steam is an option as well but would rather go console where I can. Is Alan Wake worth playing these days (especially before diving into Control) and are either of the two expansions for Alan Wake worth grabbing or are they skippable? I watched the trailers and they didn't seem that interesting whereas reviews of AW look pretty awesome.

I just played back through alan wake earlier this year and it holds up. I enjoyed it again. There's some 360 era jank, it's a good 10 hours of a good story. I don't know about the control dlc for it, because I'm waiting for the series x updates before playing control again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

According to the IGN review Codemasters had the developers of OnRush & Driveclub make Dirt 5 so there's no wonder stuff doesn't work right and it's thoroughly mediocre at best. Will be great to see what the main team does with the inevitable Dirt 3.0 whenever it comes, though. Wondering what the future of Grid is after the last game as well.

More importantly, EA is putting a big focus on Criterion Games again after how bad recent NFS games have been so maybe we'll be really lucky and get a new (and good?!) Burnout game at some point?

I will die on a hill to defend DriveClub, and yes I know I will be the only person.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

SUNKOS posted:

I grabbed Control and saw the high praise but noticed one of the add-ons is focused on Alan Wake and I was contemplating picking it up via BC, is it worth it? It seems kinda Twin Peaks-ish?

Guess Steam is an option as well but would rather go console where I can. Is Alan Wake worth playing these days (especially before diving into Control) and are either of the two expansions for Alan Wake worth grabbing or are they skippable? I watched the trailers and they didn't seem that interesting whereas reviews of AW look pretty awesome.

Alan Wake is fun and campy and not too long. Def worth a cheap buy in my opinion.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

univbee posted:

I knew the Series S was holding things back but loving hell Dirt 5 devs.

Came to post that last one. The absolute state of this.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dang guys these HD consoles are looking good. Can’t wait until I can get a 360 myself!

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

SUNKOS posted:

Alan Wake is pretty great, but I'd rather play it on PC if you can because the graphics are much improved on there and the mouse+KB controls are nice (it plays basically like Max Payne but semi-horror). The console version's resolution is 540p.

Also Twin Peaks-ish is certainly correct. The setting is heavily inspired by Twin Peaks and the rest of it is Stephen King.

Zat fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 21, 2020

T-Square
May 14, 2009

SUNKOS posted:

You might be waiting a while. The next Forza game will be a Motorsport title that we've seen a teaser trailer for, and now Playground Studios has a second team that has announced their Fable title and will no doubt be working on but not release FH5 until at least a year or two after the next Forza Motorsport game launches. Hopefully it's out sometime next year? The brief clips look nice but their slow turn to boring flat real-world tracks and less fictional circuits has been depressing to watch because much like Gran Turismo, the best tracks in these games are always the fictional circuits. It's why PD were smart to reveal GT7 with Trial Mountain footage.

I'm so sick of racing round Silverstone in these games :negative:

I mean Maple Valley owns and I hope it remains for the next FM, and Fujimi Kaido and Almalfi Coast were dope and I want them back, but how are you gonna complain about Forza Motorsport prioritizing real world tracks and also cherry pick the most boring one? Spa, Suzuka, Road America, Le Mans, Laguna Seca and at least a dozen others would like a word with you :colbert:

I’m mostly just salty because everyone’s always hot on Horizons and I just wanna chill and build and paint race cars and race them on real world race tracks. But also Maple Valley, FK, and AC are like the only fictional tracks I’ve ever liked, I hated all of the others.

But if the next Horizons game was set in Japan and you could compete in different mountain pass racing in all of the different prefectures/regions, that’d be dope as hell and I would immediately buy it.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
I think people should watch the Dirt 5 video from Digital Foundry instead of relying on pictures posted here. DF thinks the low quality is a bug as the game came in hot, but it has the side effect of the Series X version sticking more solidly at 120 FPS*.

If I were playing in 120hz, I would probably rather have the lower graphical settings instead of dips into the 80s on some tracks, so I kind of hope they don't fix it.

*EDIT: To go in a bit more detail, their capture setup was having issues with how the Xbox consoles do 120hz. It was all a little over my head but they didn't have performance data, and John had to manually fix some stuff in their PS5 capture. It's a little weird, but I felt I should clarify.

Zerot fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 21, 2020

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Zerot posted:

I think people should watch the Dirt 5 video from Digital Foundry instead of relying on pictures posted here. DF thinks the low quality is a bug as the game came in hot, but it has the side effect of the Series X version sticking more solidly at 120 FPS*.

If I were playing in 120hz, I would probably rather have the lower graphical settings instead of dips into the 80s on some tracks, so I kind of hope they don't fix it.

*EDIT: To go in a bit more detail, their capture setup was having issues with how the Xbox consoles do 120hz. It was all a little over my head but they didn't have performance data, and John had to manually fix some stuff in their PS5 capture. It's a little weird, but I felt I should clarify.

Yea it’s a very, very odd DF analysis video... as Richard admits, this is simply reporting on the way things are since it is indeed current retail code; they have made the developer aware and fixes may (or may not) be incoming.

I did find it interesting that there was no mention - as far as I heard - about the haptic support that’s supposed to be coming at some point.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's kinda crazy how everything pre-launch was looking great for the XSX, with people getting their hands on essentially retail units nice and early and reporting on the backwards compatibility with glee, but the game choice and the quality of the ports really seem to have come out in Sony's favor since actual launch. I'm sure it'll flatten out in time, but MS are probably glad they're struggling to meet supply and only a limited amount of people have month 1 units.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's kinda crazy how everything pre-launch was looking great for the XSX, with people getting their hands on essentially retail units nice and early and reporting on the backwards compatibility with glee, but the game choice and the quality of the ports really seem to have come out in Sony's favor since actual launch. I'm sure it'll flatten out in time, but MS are probably glad they're struggling to meet supply and only a limited amount of people have month 1 units.
I think you're putting too much stock into people who post 200% zoom screenshots on internet forums. Save for Ubisoft being Ubisoft, the cross platform experience for the regular user is basically identical between both consoles.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It was more the screen tearing on AC:V that perked my interest (I'm not super interested in the game so I didn't buy it, maybe it's not as bad to play as it made it look). I find DF pretty non-sensationalist even if they do do 200-400% zoom stuff which most of the time I just laugh off, but urgh screen tearing is just something that goes through me, and if one platform isn't doing it it's not great.

But as I said, I don't think it's any long term issue that won't get ironed out, both are obviously very comparable pieces of hardware but so far Sony has both the jump on the quality of it's launch titles and how the cross platform stuff runs, even if it's relatively minor.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Yea it's all really funny and reminiscent of the Xbox running at 250f poo poo.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Digital Foundry team seem like nice guys who have been saddled with an extremely toxic audience.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tsietisin posted:

You know it's word. There's this big sale on right now but I'm holding off on purchasing things on the chance they may end up in game pass.

That said, is Control any good?

Yeah I’m sure over the long run someone is making more money. But I have never completely ignored something like a Black Friday sale because game pass is better

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The Digital Foundry team seem like nice guys who have been saddled with an extremely toxic audience.

Yeah, there is a lot of overlap between gamers that are really obsessed with graphics/performance, and being toxic. This stuff is fun to look at and being informed on, I use it to make informed decisions on which platform to buy a game on, but also at the end of the day none of it is that big of a deal except for in pretty rare cases. The infamous Bayonetta release, it was without question better to have bought that game on Xbox 360, you were getting an inferior unplayable experience on PS3.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

T-Square posted:

I mean Maple Valley owns and I hope it remains for the next FM, and Fujimi Kaido and Almalfi Coast were dope and I want them back, but how are you gonna complain about Forza Motorsport prioritizing real world tracks and also cherry pick the most boring one? Spa, Suzuka, Road America, Le Mans, Laguna Seca and at least a dozen others would like a word with you :colbert:

I’m mostly just salty because everyone’s always hot on Horizons and I just wanna chill and build and paint race cars and race them on real world race tracks. But also Maple Valley, FK, and AC are like the only fictional tracks I’ve ever liked, I hated all of the others.

Yeah, I definitely cherry-picked there but there's a fair amount of flat/boring tracks that I just cannot stand (Silverstone, Yas Marina, Circuit of the Americas, Virginia Raceway, Hockenheimring, Lime Rock, Monza, Sebring, Top Gear Track, Airfield Test Track) and I would happily trade Daytona, Indianapolis & Miami Homestead for Sunset Peninsula which is a fictional track in the same style but way more fun to race around and has the best flow.

Also, I know I'm in the minority on this site but while I love Maple Valley etc. like everyone else, I also really like Prague, Rio & Dubai and just anywhere new and interesting that isn't boring tarmac with flat grass and some spectator stands with the odd tree in the distance. These tracks all have some wonderfully fun verticality to them as well and I think that one of the most fun things in these games is always trying to speed down some tricky descent as quickly as possible without flipping/wrecking your car.

Definitely miss older fictional tracks like the ones you mentioned as well. I'm guessing it's just a time and resources thing? It clearly takes a lot more time and effort to make a fictional track than it does to recreate a real life circuit, and probably why all Motorsport games this generation have released with just one 'showcase' fictional track (Prague, Rio, Dubai).

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
If performance and graphics was all people got consoles for the Nintendo switch would have been a complete failure and the dreamcast a raging success

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Celexi posted:

If performance and graphics was all people got consoles for the Nintendo switch would have been a complete failure and the dreamcast a raging success

I mean video games as a hobby are gigantic now, billions of people play them, so it makes up a huge number of different demographics from casual to hardcore about the hobby, and is a lot of overlap and sub-groups inbetween. The Switch is a huge success because there are also a huge number of people that do not consider performance and graphics to be important. There are also people who go after seeing performance and graphics and consider those things important, but also want to play every game out there and realize that sometimes means adjusting your expectations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

drat, I really hate the d-pad. It's way too loud! Why is it like that?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Be loud and proud when rubbing your d.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I love the IBM Model M d-pad and it's clickiness, it's so good.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
The pad feels fantastic but I had to stop playing Tetris one morning because it felt like I was going to wake everyone up.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

EL BROMANCE posted:

I love the IBM Model M d-pad and it's clickiness, it's so good.

It’s the, “gently caress YOU, I’M GAMING HERE!” d-pad. And I love it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It feels very good. The Switch Pro controller feels like mush in comparison.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I thought the dashboard UI got updated sound effects because I heard the new dpad through closed-back headphones.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I haven’t actually tried the new controller since I have an elite, but this ear blasting dpad chat had me intrigued.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

(Lots of thoughts on that there Jedi game)

I finished and really enjoyed my time with it, but it's easily one of the (last?) generation's buggiest games. I played on a later revision XB1 that has a 1TB drive - load times were pretty long but not insufferable. Might post a highlight reel, I recorded so much material of the game breaking.

Textures were CONSTANTLY swapping resolutions, even during cutscenes where the camera just held on one person for a while. It got really silly.

I also hadn't touched a Souls game since the original Demon's Souls. Combat was fine, though disappointing it didn' have gear, stats and such - very lite Fisher Price version of those mechanics. Not bad, just basic but the lightsaber combat is fun enough to make up for it. Eventually you unlock the entire skill tree and then there's nothing else to progress towards except finishing the story or looking for the world's lamest collectables: ponchos.

I liked the story a lot (except for one thing that happens during the ending...), you're not wrong that it feels like something out of the EU. Surprisingly good for something with the Star Wars name on it these days.

The environments were amazing, sadly not open enough IMO but I understand why, the baseline hardware is already struggling to cope. Really looking forward to seeing how a sequel would look on the new generation of systems.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Crafty posted:

I haven’t actually tried the new controller since I have an elite, but this ear blasting dpad chat had me intrigued.

I don't notice it but now because of this thread I probably will. What games are you playing aside Tetris where it's an issue though? I have a pad for fighting games and every other game uses pads infrequently

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 22, 2020

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Seltzer posted:

I don't notice it but now because of this thread I probably will. What games are you playing aside Tetris where it's an issue though? I have a pad for fighting gakes and every other game uses pads infrequently

Have you played celeste? Probably should

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Tony Hawk 1+2 for me is a dpad use for sure.