Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

That's the fucker who played through ALL of Squadron whatevernumberwereuptonow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SmugFlawlessAdouri-mobile.mp4

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Tippis posted:

Seek help.

Sea kelp? On pizza? Dude WTF is wrong with you

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Thoatse posted:

At least there's some kind of sensible biodiversity neo-food thing going on there, as opposed to the eldritch abomination in your picture.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

The funding goes up by a factor of 10, clearly progress on the elevator panel re-work and rumours of a roadmap has opened the wallets..... Year 9 of development a real wonderous thing

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

Some Goon posted:

You know anywhere to get like a single MRE? I want to try one but hell if I'm buying a box.

there is someone who can help you choose the right one to try....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_sY-nJ179U&t=1s

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

I was hanging out with these couple of girls when I lived in a basement apartment and they dared me to eat a slice of cheese pizza with skittles on them. Tasted kind of like pineapple pizza.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

trucutru posted:

You can find them in army surplus stores and gun shows. They succkkkk (an exception are the EU ones that are just a bunch of off-the-shelf cans with stuff that people actually voluntarily pay for), not as much as SC of course, but it ain't a good experience unless you're like my cousin who once remarked that dried dog food "was ok".

And it wasn't even expensive dog food.

The French have the right idea, they just take a bunch of decent civilian off-the-shelf non-perishable food, pack it into a box, and call it a day.

We Americans have to pay some defense contractor untold millions to make custom “food” that can survive 5 plus years and a nuclear war. It has so many preservatives in it that it destroys your digestive system.

But by god I sung the Star Spangled Banner every time I was sitting in a filthy port-o-John in the desert trying to force a giant hard mass of desiccated feces out of myself. :patriot:

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 22, 2020

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

I don't think there are going to be exactly stats leaderboards and comprehensive stat-tracking exposed to the player, but CIG has long promised that the lore will be a living, breathing thing and players will be able to contribute to it through their accomplishments.

I don't know if it's still the plan but one example given was that they intend for "boss" pirate NPCs to have unique names, and when one is killed that name's retired - the 'boss' character may respawn to continue challenging other players doing the same mission/mission type, but only YOU are recorded as the pilot who killed the gruesome pirate-king Stabbers McSlabbers.

The holy grail of exploration is finding an undiscovered system and surviving the journey home with Jump Point nav data so you can report it to the authorities. A player who successfully does this and is the FIRST to get back with the data is granted the right to name the system (subject to approval by CIG, so no Bonerland System) and be permanently recognized in the lore as the discoverer of that system.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
This game is QAnon for dorks

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Hot Diggity! posted:

“Trust the Plan.”
- Chris Roberts

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Titanic posted:

So I was hoping for more trip reports from people having tons of fun. I'll guess you guys are too immersed and haven't time to post. :)

OK so here’s my report so far on my brand new Ryzen 7 /2070 rig. Had my AMD monitoring software running on the other screen and immediately upon launch the CPU meter went straight into bouncing between the yellow and red zones. Frame rate was around 30. Couldn’t work out how to get out of bed. When I did the character fell straight on the floor and it took me a while to work out how to stand up. Was pleased to see 900 years in the future in space I still have a mixer tap sink, kitchen roll and a pot scrubber handy.

Having seen many videos on here of the next bit I got through the wankpod/ lift/ elevator panel tedium quite easily and found myself in the legendary lobby of T poses. It was actually quite an awesome moment being there for myself, the weird emptiness and dead eyed stares of the NPC as they earnestly stand on their chairs has a haunting quality.

Luckily Chris Roberts has placed signs guiding you to the expo so I pressed on, past more lifeless NPCs frozen on the stairs down to the subway. On arriving in the expo entrance I was delighted to see my first proper bug as the top half of an NPC bounced furiously through the floor.

Went to the expo, looked at some ships. Got inside a Gladius I think? The JPEGs do, as everyone says, look quite impressive although Croberts obsession with putting kitchen/diners and toilets inside heavily armed gunships is truly bizarre.

Went to get a coffee from the kiosk hoping for some of the exciting subsumption bartender AI to kick in but the lady Barista just stared through me and kept repeating the same 3 stock phrases over and over again.

All in all - it’s just WEIRD. The creepy, empty, lifeless feel of everything is almost atmospheric if you were playing a Westworld style game about the day humanity was replaced by dead eyed automatons. The NPCs look and act like youre in a Second Life instance from 2002 and everyone’s gone AFK

Bit more time today so will attempt to fly a ship. The keyboard bindings screen is also hilariously bad - why make it so you can’t read anything on the screen until you magnify it with your mouse? Bizarre

smellmycheese fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 22, 2020

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

G0RF posted:

“Trust the Plan Sexy Bear (don't ask about Mae Demming) .”
- Chris Roberts

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Hot Diggity! posted:

This is a perfect description. To that end The Letter is this thread's pisstape

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://twitter.com/chefmaeda/status/1329171188690673664

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Hot Diggity! posted:

Chris Roberts' Food Court Simulator

RandomGuy12
Jan 20, 2019
I did download this poo poo to see what a pretty much "as big as you can go"-PC can do. My Specs are a 9900K@5GHz AllCore, 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM, a mighty RTX 3090 and installed on a Samsung NVMe Drive.

running in 1440p on max Settings... I had 43 FPS in the wankpod staring at a Wall. Forty Three with pretty much nothing on the screen. i never figured out how to get out of bed, so i just use this 80GB Garbage as a chat interface to make the Citizens mad. This goes pretty fast asking question like "why does it run so bad?" or "How much are u in for? 5 Digits?".

For now, i like Star Citizen.

RandomGuy12 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 22, 2020

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

Name me one game by an indie dev that has all of the following features:
- seamless planet-space transitions
- spaceships with traversible interiors
- online multiplayer with dedicated servers that, for the time being, encompass an entire star system
- the ability to put a vehicle inside another vehicle without the physics glitching out and sending everyone into deep space at insane velocities
- diegetic UIs
- native Facerig functionality that maps your character's in-game face to your expressions

These are hardly all of the features of SC, but they're all important ones and ones that few other games, indie or not, even bother to attempt.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

If you don't want to download and go yourself- here it is, the full Star Citizen expo experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss8EZq_7uAE

Watch the spaceman ride a train. Thrill as he stands in front of a full-length in-game commercial for a spaceship. You've paid for a whole seat but you will only need the edge when he visits the burrito vendor! At some point he walks around a big room, and static models of spaceships are displayed. Watch him puzzle out how to get into the big spaceship- whoops, he clipped through the elevator!

Now he's in another room with some more spaceships, or are they just knock-off copies of real planes? The npc's are totally static. The text displays are totally static. The banners hang lifelessly in the still air. Almost nothing in the scene displays any movement whatsoever. He stops for a while to vibe to the amazing mall background music before moving on. That sure is a big spaceship that doesn't do anything. Even the spaceman has grown bored of walking through these vast spaces now- he breaks into a run. Oh god there are three more giant rooms to go.

"Your Journey Awaits" proclaim the signs on every surface as he enters a room with 4 copies of the exact same spaceship copy/pasted at different angles. The signs remain vague on what the journey is. Perhaps it is inside the spaceship? He enters- nope, absolutely no interactable parts here. Maybe in this one? It is exactly the same, because the ships are copy/pasted, as previously mentioned. He definitely needs to check out the interior of the third, though. Just to be sure. Beautiful plumage on this one! Wait no, it's not a parrot, it is the same spaceship he has inspected twice before. Inside? Yep, it's got one of those. Fourth time's the charm he thinks as he sprints to the copy/pasted ship but in blue this time. Oh this is an Aegis Vanguard Sentinel, three words that possess almost zero meaning when strung together. He steps inside, barely even pausing to swivel the camera around once. Yep, this one is also made of metal. Amazing.

He goes back to the main room and sets the camera to external view so he can watch his spaceman, watching the big spaceship, that isn't going to do anything because it's been in the game for 2 years and still no mechanics have been implemented for it. On to another room. His footsteps echo emptily, and everything is full of a growing sense of paranoia. Another room with a different ship, copy/pasted four times in different colors. Is he going to- yep of course, he painstakingly begins entering the interiors of each one. Look, this ship has a door you can open! He does that. Then he goes to the next one. Yep, it's also got a door- and some lockers! They don't do anything. Truly worth distinguishing with a separate model and higher price tag, CIG. There's a blue variant of this one too. It is an Avenger Titan Renegade which I am almost certain is three entirely separate concepts mashed together. Perhaps the next one will be an Olympian Berserker Maverick. Oh no, the last one has a different interior- some kind of particle accelerator or EMP or something. Kind of makes the back of it useless, to be honest.

His duty complete, the spaceman sprints away. Where is he going? Where has he come from? He's certainly not staying in this haunted realm, which seems to whisper to him in his very bones. No ship that enters this deathly still chasm will ever fly again, he knows. His journey awaits, somewhere far away, in some better game.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I’m thankful that I, nor anyone else I know, was never fooled by this scam.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

New Jax McCleary video just dropped ...

https://twitter.com/HarryEnfield6/status/1330434130044219393/video/1

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Sarsapariller posted:

If you don't want to download and go yourself- here it is, the full Star Citizen expo experience.

Sorry, but there is a reason it's so empty. If you want to get the real and full Star Citizen Expo experience you'll have to use the web client:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Every year, we have this raffle, where we goons sit around a virtual shitfire and watch the money burn.

This is the 6th Raffle. Every year we buy Idrii to ensure healthy development of the Fudding Tracker.

LIVE STATUS
Current Pledge Amount
$320,466,025
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

:rip:
Dr. Kyle Farnsworth ONE DOLLAR, no_recall!
Feindfeuer 317,850,025
NoMas 318,022,154
Tenzarin $318,061,024
RabbitWizard 318,234,567$
Kikas $318,345,792
Popete 318,500,001
The Titanic $319.424.424,42
RattiRatto 319,455,455$
Dwesa 319,519,865
TonyMcS $319,565,180
Differo Cathedra $319,590,008
Jack-Off Lantern 320,333,577
Pharnakes $320,420,420.69

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

The sickeningly sweet truths have been revealed today...

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

He goes back to the main room and sets the camera to external view so he can watch his spaceman, watching the big spaceship, that isn't going to do anything because it's been in the game for 2 years and still no mechanics have been implemented for it.

This is an experienced commando and what actually happens is that he tries to enter the big ship but clips thru the bottom of the access elevator so, without missing a beat, immediately switches to third person mode, which was what he had planned all along, yeah.

Talking about big ships, it must have been a pain in the rear end to bring that ship inside a showroom that is two levels below subway level (so I'm guessing it's well underground). Bringing in all the components and then re-assembling the drat thing must have been tough.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

smellmycheese posted:

All in all - it’s just WEIRD. The creepy, empty, lifeless feel of everything is almost atmospheric if you were playing a Westworld style game about the day humanity was replaced by dead eyed automatons. The NPCs look and act like youre in a Second Life instance from 2002 and everyone’s gone AFK

RandomGuy12 posted:

i never figured out how to get out of bed, so i just use this 80GB Garbage as a chat interface to make the Citizens mad. This goes pretty fast asking question like "why does it run so bad?" or "How much are u in for? 5 Digits?".

Thank you for your sacrifice o8

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Sunswipe posted:

That's why they're sticking with it, but what's the reasoning cultists have for the great Chris Roberts choosing to rewrite the least appropriate engine available?

From the perspective of the citizenry? CryEngine 2 was a pile of poo poo but if you brute forced your way through with an $8k machine full of bleeding edge hardware it looked pretty. This is the core of :pcgaming: and an easy sell to the 2012 market.

After that CIG has done wonders. They could easily license their tech for billions. They're doing everything no one else has ever done for the first time ever in a hidden dev build in the most transparent game development ever and... you know the drill. The same dreams.txt applied to what they'll be doing eventually applies to the tech driving it. If I got access to the official SC youtube account and uploaded a video of me trying to figure out how to use stock models in Poser (I have zero experience in anything related) as a "dev diary" thing it'd get infinite praise for its revolutionary tech before the jig was up.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

One for Quavers' List:

Game has been good for 5 years!

https://twitter.com/croberts68/status/669774396974764032?s=20

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOu7IPArxX0

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

IDRIS WAS NOT A JOKE!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
This is the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ocRA5PpFN4

Marvel as the magic Germans do neverbeforedone things. Like fail to change gender.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Thoatse posted:

You could probably buy that in Japan for real.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Who refers to capital ships as "classics"? Oh yeah, the people in an universe where individuals own multiple of them.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Mirificus posted:

I don't think there are going to be exactly stats leaderboards and comprehensive stat-tracking exposed to the player, but CIG has long promised that the lore will be a living, breathing thing and players will be able to contribute to it through their accomplishments.

I don't know if it's still the plan but one example given was that they intend for "boss" pirate NPCs to have unique names, and when one is killed that name's retired - the 'boss' character may respawn to continue challenging other players doing the same mission/mission type, but only YOU are recorded as the pilot who killed the gruesome pirate-king Stabbers McSlabbers.

The holy grail of exploration is finding an undiscovered system and surviving the journey home with Jump Point nav data so you can report it to the authorities. A player who successfully does this and is the FIRST to get back with the data is granted the right to name the system (subject to approval by CIG, so no Bonerland System) and be permanently recognized in the lore as the discoverer of that system.

Pirate Jolly Roberts the 53495th is attacking the base!

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
This reminded of a funny bug that happened to my friend in No Man's Sky.

So in that you get to name whatever undiscovered planet you find.

This is not a big deal since the universe in NMS practically infinite.

The funny thing is someone somehow managed to find the exact same planet and renamed it even though that shouldn't be possible to do.

A troll on a galactic level.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 22, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I like how this is broken.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/leaderboards/top

I know, Tier 0 leaderboards. Still early days.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Star Citizen is so bad and unfun to play, it's phenomenal. runs like a piece of poo poo also

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

Watch the spaceman ride a train. Thrill as he stands in front of a full-length in-game commercial for a spaceship. You've paid for a whole seat but you will only need the edge when he visits the burrito vendor! At some point he walks around a big room, and static models of spaceships are displayed. Watch him puzzle out how to get into the big spaceship- whoops, he clipped through the elevator!

Now he's in another room with some more spaceships, or are they just knock-off copies of real planes? The npc's are totally static. The text displays are totally static. The banners hang lifelessly in the still air. Almost nothing in the scene displays any movement whatsoever. He stops for a while to vibe to the amazing mall background music before moving on. That sure is a big spaceship that doesn't do anything. Even the spaceman has grown bored of walking through these vast spaces now- he breaks into a run. Oh god there are three more giant rooms to go.

"Your Journey Awaits" proclaim the signs on every surface as he enters a room with 4 copies of the exact same spaceship copy/pasted at different angles. The signs remain vague on what the journey is. Perhaps it is inside the spaceship? He enters- nope, absolutely no interactable parts here. Maybe in this one? It is exactly the same, because the ships are copy/pasted, as previously mentioned. He definitely needs to check out the interior of the third, though. Just to be sure. Beautiful plumage on this one! Wait no, it's not a parrot, it is the same spaceship he has inspected twice before. Inside? Yep, it's got one of those. Fourth time's the charm he thinks as he sprints to the copy/pasted ship but in blue this time. Oh this is an Aegis Vanguard Sentinel, three words that possess almost zero meaning when strung together. He steps inside, barely even pausing to swivel the camera around once. Yep, this one is also made of metal. Amazing.

He goes back to the main room and sets the camera to external view so he can watch his spaceman, watching the big spaceship, that isn't going to do anything because it's been in the game for 2 years and still no mechanics have been implemented for it. On to another room. His footsteps echo emptily, and everything is full of a growing sense of paranoia. Another room with a different ship, copy/pasted four times in different colors. Is he going to- yep of course, he painstakingly begins entering the interiors of each one. Look, this ship has a door you can open! He does that. Then he goes to the next one. Yep, it's also got a door- and some lockers! They don't do anything. Truly worth distinguishing with a separate model and higher price tag, CIG. There's a blue variant of this one too. It is an Avenger Titan Renegade which I am almost certain is three entirely separate concepts mashed together. Perhaps the next one will be an Olympian Berserker Maverick. Oh no, the last one has a different interior- some kind of particle accelerator or EMP or something. Kind of makes the back of it useless, to be honest.

His duty complete, the spaceman sprints away. Where is he going? Where has he come from? He's certainly not staying in this haunted realm, which seems to whisper to him in his very bones. No ship that enters this deathly still chasm will ever fly again, he knows. His journey awaits, somewhere far away, in some better game.

that looks like poo poo

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Open Source? Sharing core tech once the game is done? posted:

Does anyone know if CIG are thinking of sharing some of the core tech (not the assets of course) for their game once they finish it. Or even like five years after launch?

I feel that CIG is such a unique company due to its backer model and not being one of the established AAA studios that it would be amazing if they shared some of their tech once their game is done. I can just imagine having a Skyrim (fantasy) type game (but where you can explore an entire planet!) being able to be made by an indie studio if they got access to even some of the core tech of the game.

I know its unusual, but CIG is also unusual, plus it contains so many models and art that no studio would be able to catch up to them and make a rival game even if they did make their core tech open source!

I know they are using another company's engine so that might make if harder, but they also have years of working out the bugs and code to make it work. So even in they shared what they used for that specific engine it could give us so many amazing new games!

Anyone know something about this? I've read about modding and stuff but didn't see a post about sharing stuff with other gaming companies...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/DavidBraben/status/1330297656019734528