Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Other than the white palace, what was your hardest platforming challenge?

For me, by far, it's the soul vessel piece where you have to bounce on caterpillars. gently caress that one so hard. Only reason I got it done this time is I put hiveblood on and waited to heal between each attempt.

I hated that one so much, I think I sat for like 30 mins bashing my head against the wall with that. Or, well, against a caterpillar, whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Waltzing Along posted:

Other than the white palace, what was your hardest platforming challenge?

For me, by far, it's the soul vessel piece where you have to bounce on caterpillars. gently caress that one so hard. Only reason I got it done this time is I put hiveblood on and waited to heal between each attempt.

That one sucks for sure, but I honestly have a harder time with the Crystallized Mound, where you get the Descending Dark (and a Grub).

For whatever reason, the Crystal Hunters give me the most trouble out of any enemy in the game.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, gently caress those guys. Easily my #1 worst enemy.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Those goddamn jellyfish that shoot homing missiles on death with a huge AoE and knock off two hearts a shot

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

Those goddamn jellyfish that shoot homing missiles on death with a huge AoE and knock off two hearts a shot

Yeah those guys still mess me up. I avoid killing them whenever possible.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

DeathChicken posted:

Counterpoint: You can jump over them and strike downward, and they make a super-satisfying splash noise when they hit the acid.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The best way to kill the giant jellyfish things is to Hadoken them, for some reason this pushes the projectile they make along with it where they explode against a wall. I have only had this backfire on me once.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the traitor lord is Vexing me. i have defeated them on two previous playthroughs and must regain the skills required for a third

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the traitor lord is Vexing me. i have defeated them on two previous playthroughs and must regain the skills required for a third

I was also nervous going into this fight the second time and I was surprised how easily I won. It’s like a ballet - your dash gets you just out of attack range and into striking range. I had a ton of fun with it!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

That's where I am headed next. TL > Flower > fight a couple dudes for 1800 > white palace. Or I will do TL before white palace just for the extra mask.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Progress Report:

It took me 6 or 7 attempts, but I took down the Mantis Lords. After beating the first one, I figured "Well, the next one will probably have some different moves to throw me off". Boy was I surprised to have BOTH remaining Lords come at me. After I stopped panicking, I was able to get into the groove of dancing around the two of them.

After that, I headed back to the City of Tears to do a bit more poking around. I had stopped exploring after finding the Stag station. I found my way into the Soul Sanctum, and started working my way upwards. It was a new challenge having flying enemies with fast projectiles, so that was a bit of an adjustment. Managed to get to the boss, and got myself killed. So that's my next hurdle, at least until I get tired of dying, and I go explore elsewhere.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mantis Lords marks the point where I stopped liking Hollow Knight and started loving it.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Mantis Lords marks the point where I stopped liking Hollow Knight and started loving it.

Yea it’s a brilliant fight. The Sisters of Battle fight is :discourse:

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

Agreed - this is an all-time great boss fight.

The Zombie Guy posted:

Managed to get to the boss, and got myself killed. So that's my next hurdle, at least until I get tired of dying, and I go explore elsewhere.

This boss is a roadblock for a lot of players but it’s definitely manageable at the point you’re at. You’ll be happy if you beat him before exploring too many other places. Also, if you’re getting tired of the long run back to him, I advice really thoroughly exploring the whole area around him. You may find something else you’ll be happy about.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
I saw HK on sale and Humble and decided to play again on PC(first was Switch). I've been playing Blasphemous and drat, this game is such a master class platformer by comparison. In fact most games feel very bad because of this game.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Quick question: I found a charm that lets me dash more often, and also dash downwards. I didn't think this was very useful, then I remembered a few places where the ground felt "crumbly" when I walked on it. Jumping and slashing didn't break through. Is down-dashing the key to breaking these spots?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

No (filler text to disguise spoiler)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

NoMas posted:

I saw HK on sale and Humble and decided to play again on PC(first was Switch). I've been playing Blasphemous and drat, this game is such a master class platformer by comparison. In fact most games feel very bad because of this game.

While I do love Blasphemous, Hollow Knight is still so much better than it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Zombie Guy posted:

Quick question: I found a charm that lets me dash more often, and also dash downwards. I didn't think this was very useful, then I remembered a few places where the ground felt "crumbly" when I walked on it. Jumping and slashing didn't break through. Is down-dashing the key to breaking these spots?

Just do the soul master fight. You can progress without beating him, but it requires skipping things. He is really the one you should be fighting at this point. He's hard, but once you get his patterns down, not too bad. Especially compared to some of the stuff coming up. And once you beat him, if will open a lot more stuff up.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Waltzing Along posted:

Just do the soul master fight. You can progress without beating him, but it requires skipping things. He is really the one you should be fighting at this point. He's hard, but once you get his patterns down, not too bad. Especially compared to some of the stuff coming up. And once you beat him, if will open a lot more stuff up.

Or maybe don't tell people where to specifically go to get things, unsolicited and untagged. The joy of Hollow Knight is exploring and stumbling upon things.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

OK, I'm going to head back and concentrate on Soul Master. I just farmed up some Geo to buy another slot for Charms. My current loadout is Longnail, Steady Body, Quick Focus, and Grubsong.
I thought about subbing out Grubsong and Steady Body for either Lifeblood Heart, or Stalwart Shell.

Any Charm combo suggestions for Soul Master?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Zombie Guy posted:

OK, I'm going to head back and concentrate on Soul Master. I just farmed up some Geo to buy another slot for Charms. My current loadout is Longnail, Steady Body, Quick Focus, and Grubsong.
I thought about subbing out Grubsong and Steady Body for either Lifeblood Heart, or Stalwart Shell.

Any Charm combo suggestions for Soul Master?

Quick Focus, Shaman Stone, Grubsong.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Why isn’t anyone talking about Silksong? I get replaying Hollow Knight for continuity, but come on, I’m stuck on the Beetle Prince fight. Any tips?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

RCarr posted:

Why isn’t anyone talking about Silksong? I get replaying Hollow Knight for continuity, but come on, I’m stuck on the Beetle Prince fight. Any tips?

You need to not get hit and hit him till he stops fighting. He will then give you the key to the bugsmot.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Mantis Lords fight is absolutely fantastic as a set-piece and it really, really helps you as a player to... Is acclimate the right word? To the sort of things you have to learn to beat bosses, patterns, tells, all that. Which may not be nuclear science to people who lived their childhoods on NES platformers, but not all of us did!

That said, the Soul Master is also a brilliant fight, because his taunts are amazing. He HEH!

I really love this game, can we get Silksong soon please :(

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I started my 2nd run in the game thanks to Zombie Guy. Very general, but spoilery question: The first time I played I mostly critical pathed it. This time I'd like to do more of the optional stuff. Is there any reason not to dream nail every ghost I find?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

Or maybe don't tell people where to specifically go to get things, unsolicited and untagged. The joy of Hollow Knight is exploring and stumbling upon things.

nice job on quoting it unspoilered lol

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

The Zombie Guy posted:

Quick question: I found a charm that lets me dash more often, and also dash downwards. I didn't think this was very useful,
As a general statement, dashmaster is one of those charms that doesn't have an obvious use (at least not for most of the game) but ended up being part of my core loadout anyways. Being able to zip around the screen is really helpful sometimes.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

ColdPie posted:

I started my 2nd run in the game thanks to Zombie Guy. Very general, but spoilery question: The first time I played I mostly critical pathed it. This time I'd like to do more of the optional stuff. Is there any reason not to dream nail every ghost I find?

This kills the ghost.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ColdPie posted:

it gives you like. literally nothing.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

you get one (1) essence

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
you get the satisfaction of knowing you spared someone from a "lifetime" of eternal boredom hovering around a single spot forever

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've grown to absolute hate the flower quest. 1st time I made it on my 1st try.

This time...I'm 15+ and still going. Absolutely maddening. 5 times in that final little room. I put on shard shadow to make sure I'd get that first jump and now twice I've screwed up the 2nd jump. I'm wondering if the difference is 1st time was Switch handheld, this time it is PS5 on the tv. I think I'm at the point I'm so over it that I am just loving up because I'm getting too careful at the end.

Ugh.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

grieving for Gandalf posted:

you get one (1) essence

So like, only the ones that explicitly pop up a Challenge dialog lead to fights and meaningful essence?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I've grown to absolute hate the flower quest. 1st time I made it on my 1st try.

This time...I'm 15+ and still going. Absolutely maddening. 5 times in that final little room. I put on shard shadow to make sure I'd get that first jump and now twice I've screwed up the 2nd jump. I'm wondering if the difference is 1st time was Switch handheld, this time it is PS5 on the tv. I think I'm at the point I'm so over it that I am just loving up because I'm getting too careful at the end.

Ugh.

the shadow charm makes it harder. extends your dash distance juuuuust enough so that you're near-guaranteed to faceplant into the thorns every time

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ColdPie posted:

So like, only the ones that explicitly pop up a Challenge dialog lead to fights and meaningful essence?

yes

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Oxxidation posted:

the shadow charm makes it harder. extends your dash distance juuuuust enough so that you're near-guaranteed to faceplant into the thorns every time

Well I finished. Twice. The first time I had forgotten the flower. :suicide:

And then I couldn't get to the traitor guy cuz of the extra dash distance. But I set my dream gate at him so don't have to worry about it again. Next time he goes down. Then I'll start on the WP. Ugh.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I just finished the White Palace on my second play through and it wasn’t nearly as bad as I remembered. The hallway with the spikes alternating from the ceiling and floor made me angry but the rest actually went super smoothly.

Now I just have the flower quest, King Grimm, and the Trial of the Fool, then I’ll check be done with everything in the base game and ready to check out Godhome, which wasn’t out during my initial play through!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

dantheman650 posted:

I just finished the White Palace on my second play through and it wasn’t nearly as bad as I remembered. The hallway with the spikes alternating from the ceiling and floor made me angry but the rest actually went super smoothly.

Now I just have the flower quest, King Grimm, and the Trial of the Fool, then I’ll check be done with everything in the base game and ready to check out Godhome, which wasn’t out during my initial play through!

Grimm wasn't in the game at launch. Also, you do need to do Path of Pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Quick Focus, Shaman Stone, Grubsong.

Thanks for the tip. Took a few tries, but I beat him!

At least I thought I beat him. Motherfucker caught me off guard with the spooky ghost dive and killed me.

Next round:

Booya. Off to do more exploring.