Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Does Verizon ever do Black Friday style sales on IPads? We are looking at getting a cellular iPad but wanted to wait in case we could get it cheaper?

Usually there is yea. Right now it’s $100 off buying the iPad, $250 off if you’re buying it with an iPhone.

Post here closer to Black Friday and I’ll see if there is anything else. PM me if you want my referral code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm looking at the BYOD and get the e-gift card. Is this one of those deals where it's doled out over 24 months like the phone deals? I thought I saw the fine print last night but now I'm not seeing it anywhere.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Not that this thread didn't know already, but Duckman is the man! He helped me out and cut through a lot of the misinformation that I'd seen other places. Thank you so much for your help, Duckman!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I upgraded from a pixel 2 to a pixel 5. I'm pretty sure the sim card I used for the pixel 2 was a carryover from my droid turbo. Should I get a 5g sim card and how do I do that?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Len posted:

I upgraded from a pixel 2 to a pixel 5. I'm pretty sure the sim card I used for the pixel 2 was a carryover from my droid turbo. Should I get a 5g sim card and how do I do that?

I did the same move from a 2 XL to a 5 from the Google Store. I was able to use my old SIM card and it immediately sent me a text message saying I should get a 5G SIM. Then I went through customer service and they sent me a 5G SIM in the mail. Just be aware they're going to ask for your IMEI number. (I tried to get a 5G SIM before getting the 5 but customer service couldn't order me one unless I had a 5G phone activated on that line.)

Alternatively you could go to a store in person.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm looking at the BYOD and get the e-gift card. Is this one of those deals where it's doled out over 24 months like the phone deals? I thought I saw the fine print last night but now I'm not seeing it anywhere.

BYOD requires 12 months service or they charge back the gift card. Only catch is that , and discount varies based on what unlimited plan you get.

PM me for a referral code if you want one. Not a demand of course, but it does help me. Times are tough for sales in covid times, that's for sure (but I am super fortunate compared to a lot of other people for sure).

Silly Burrito posted:

Not that this thread didn't know already, but Duckman is the man! He helped me out and cut through a lot of the misinformation that I'd seen other places. Thank you so much for your help, Duckman!

Not a problem sir, happy to help !

waffle iron posted:

I did the same move from a 2 XL to a 5 from the Google Store. I was able to use my old SIM card and it immediately sent me a text message saying I should get a 5G SIM. Then I went through customer service and they sent me a 5G SIM in the mail. Just be aware they're going to ask for your IMEI number. (I tried to get a 5G SIM before getting the 5 but customer service couldn't order me one unless I had a 5G phone activated on that line.)

Def get a new 5G sim, low band 5G is out there, so you want it working right.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

waffle iron posted:

Last time I went to the physical store they told me to get on the app and do it myself. I was thinking about burning an up credit to get 10bucks off a wireless charger, I should be able to get the sim tacked onto the order right?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Last time I went to the physical store they told me to get on the app and do it myself. I was thinking about burning an up credit to get 10bucks off a wireless charger, I should be able to get the sim tacked onto the order right?

Maybe?

And it varies on store with how much of a cluster gently caress covid is. Most should activate a SIM card though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Local store is closed except for emergencies only, I had to find that out by knocking on the door until the people inside opened it to say why it was still locked after opening. Currently on minute 33 of a phone call with tech support to find out why my other halfs new phone isn't connecting to the network.

I've been watching people show up and do the same thing I did before starting this call when I told the guy "you should probably put a note up or something". They have still not put a note up

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

BYOD requires 12 months service or they charge back the gift card. Only catch is that , and discount varies based on what unlimited plan you get.

PM me for a referral code if you want one. Not a demand of course, but it does help me. Times are tough for sales in covid times, that's for sure (but I am super fortunate compared to a lot of other people for sure).

Thanks, I'm gonna keep looking around for a sec, but if(when) I go w/ this plan I'll def hit you up.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

Local store is closed except for emergencies only, I had to find that out by knocking on the door until the people inside opened it to say why it was still locked after opening. Currently on minute 33 of a phone call with tech support to find out why my other halfs new phone isn't connecting to the network.

I've been watching people show up and do the same thing I did before starting this call when I told the guy "you should probably put a note up or something". They have still not put a note up

Yeah, a bunch of stores are gonna have changed what they do if there is a lock down going on. They are emailed a sign to put on the door, so not sure where the disconnect is there.

They mailing you a SIM ? That’s usually why the phone doesn’t connect, unless it’s an iPhone 7.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, a bunch of stores are gonna have changed what they do if there is a lock down going on. They are emailed a sign to put on the door, so not sure where the disconnect is there.

They mailing you a SIM ? That’s usually why the phone doesn’t connect, unless it’s an iPhone 7.

After 42 minutes the lady on the other end managed to get it working after typing and retyping various strings of numbers, then she immediately went into sales mode and tried to upsell me onto an unlimited plan and phone insurance

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Len posted:

After 42 minutes the lady on the other end managed to get it working after typing and retyping various strings of numbers, then she immediately went into sales mode and tried to upsell me onto an unlimited plan and phone insurance

She probably doesn't get paid for making your phone work only for selling you things you don't want. Capitalism! She doesn't know the trick of transferring you to someone that can help, aka a dead extension that just hangs up on you.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Elephanthead posted:

She probably doesn't get paid for making your phone work only for selling you things you don't want. Capitalism! She doesn't know the trick of transferring you to someone that can help, aka a dead extension that just hangs up on you.

Yeah I still have her a good review, just because I didn't like the pivot to a sales call doesn't mean she didn't solve the problem.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So Google is going to have the Unlocked Pixel 5 for $649 on 11/22. All I have to do is buy that and then request a 5G SIM card, correct?

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So Google is going to have the Unlocked Pixel 5 for $649 on 11/22. All I have to do is buy that and then request a 5G SIM card, correct?

Yes, all US models of the Pixel 5 are the Verizon model with 5G and 5G mmWave.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The lady on the phone did say I didn't need a 5g sim card unless I upgraded to unlimited when I asked so take what you will from that

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

This.

Len posted:

Yeah I still have her a good review, just because I didn't like the pivot to a sales call doesn't mean she didn't solve the problem.

Thank you. Surveys legit affect Verizon employee paychecks in a lot of departments now.

Len posted:

The lady on the phone did say I didn't need a 5g sim card unless I upgraded to unlimited when I asked so take what you will from that

5G is still new so I don’t know the nuances , but I would still recommend getting a 5G SIM card. All the non unlimited plans basically don’t get 5G UW (high band), which is good because if you happened to get a signal you could burn your data quickly. That said, ALL plans do get 5G nationwide (low band) at no extra cost, so you want your phone to be able to work on low band.

I don’t know if a 4G SIM will pickup 5G low band, but it’s a free SIM swap so you might as well get the official option.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

waffle iron posted:

Yes, all US models of the Pixel 5 are the Verizon model with 5G and 5G mmWave.

That's what makes the $649 price so attractive - the fact that the RotW is paying $599 for theirs because no one else uses Verizon's Gucci 5G. :smith:

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
I ordered a case to go with my new phone through Verizon because with the Up reward it was a good deal. Then the two day shipping took a full week so I bought another one elsewhere because I'm a clumsy monkey and an unprotected phone is a bad idea for me.

I want to return the one Verizon sent but there's no obvious way on the website or in the app to initiate a return. The order doesn't show up in my order history. Should I just print the receipt, highlight my info and write NO THANK YOU on it, ship it back with the prepaid return label that was in the box, and cross my fingers?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

I ordered a case to go with my new phone through Verizon because with the Up reward it was a good deal. Then the two day shipping took a full week so I bought another one elsewhere because I'm a clumsy monkey and an unprotected phone is a bad idea for me.

I want to return the one Verizon sent but there's no obvious way on the website or in the app to initiate a return. The order doesn't show up in my order history. Should I just print the receipt, highlight my info and write NO THANK YOU on it, ship it back with the prepaid return label that was in the box, and cross my fingers?

It actually should be identified just by your return label. Print the receipt, and check and make sure there is an order and location number on it. That on its own should get you the refund since it’s within 14 days.

If you need me to look up the order number let me know.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Oh for fucks sake. I don't know why I thought switching back to Verizon was a good idea. The deal isn't that good. I got tossed back and forth between activation and telesales a couple times, and now I'm "stuck in switch" and won't have any service from Google Fi or Verizon until at least Monday, and the rep said she's seen it take up to 3 weeks recently. :negative:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

Oh for fucks sake. I don't know why I thought switching back to Verizon was a good idea. The deal isn't that good. I got tossed back and forth between activation and telesales a couple times, and now I'm "stuck in switch" and won't have any service from Google Fi or Verizon until at least Monday, and the rep said she's seen it take up to 3 weeks recently. :negative:

What happened ? There’s pretty much no reason you should be stuck in any type of switch like that ?

The port number is (888) 866-6907 , I’m a bit limited on being able to help at this point, but if you need anything else post away or PM.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

What happened ? There’s pretty much no reason you should be stuck in any type of switch like that ?

The port number is (888) 866-6907 , I’m a bit limited on being able to help at this point, but if you need anything else post away or PM.

I think the system hosed something up because I'm a former vzw user. I'd call the port number, but the SIM won't activate and I no longer have a working phone :rip:

Also, I think VZW support on twitter and FB is actively ignoring me. I've tweeted and DM'd them and I don't think I exist. They've replied to plenty of others in the meantime.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm thinking of swapping away from att to Verizon. I noticed they have some sweet deals right now including a year fee eof Playstation plus.

I can't figure out how to maneuver their website and deal with trade ins though...am I just being a idiot or is it purposely convuluted to get people to go to a store

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

I think the system hosed something up because I'm a former vzw user. I'd call the port number, but the SIM won't activate and I no longer have a working phone :rip:

Also, I think VZW support on twitter and FB is actively ignoring me. I've tweeted and DM'd them and I don't think I exist. They've replied to plenty of others in the meantime.

:rip: 3 hours back and forth with reps on the VZW Facebook and it ended with a big ole :shrug: gotta wait, we have no ETA on your "switch" getting unstuck and lol at you asking to get the activation fee waived.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Posting again sorry. So I went to my loan Verizon wireless authorized reseller and they offered me this deal which seems too good to be true

Trade in
IPhone xr
IPhone xr
Samsung galaxy s10e

Get
IPhone 12
Iphone 12
Samsung galaxy s20fe
Apple watch se gold

$900 gift card

$220 per month before tax

I feel like this is too good to be true.... What's the catch?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Empress Brosephine posted:

"Switch and get a free iPhone 12 + $300" is one of their front page deals right now. It's totally legit. The only "catch" is you're effectively locked in for 24 months: all the discounts / free phones are bill credits that stop if you pay off the phone early (to upgrade or leave Verizon) or terminate a line: then you're on the hook for whatever the un-paid portion is. E.g., if you wanted to leave Verizon a year from now you'd owe them $350/phone on your way out. Same for upgrading.

Also I think you can get the S20+ 5G free instead of the S20FE (not sure if that would take out the watch).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Posting again sorry. So I went to my loan Verizon wireless authorized reseller and they offered me this deal which seems too good to be true

Trade in
IPhone xr
IPhone xr
Samsung galaxy s10e

Get
IPhone 12
Iphone 12
Samsung galaxy s20fe
Apple watch se gold

$900 gift card

$220 per month before tax

Only catch is autopay with checking account. Pretty sure this is what they quoted:

Get More, Get More, Play More: 65 + 65 + 55
Watch: 10 (service) + 11 (payment)
iPhone 12, 12 and Samsung FE: 4 + 4 + 6 after trade ins

You would get 3 $300 switcher cards.

Adds up to $220 before tax a month. Just FYI not insurance included.

So it’s actually an extremely on point quote, those plans give you the max trade in. So by yeah, if that works for you that’s about the best pricing you’ll get right now.

If you go back to them totally cool. If you end up ordering online , feel free to PM for a referral code.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Id rather hook up a goon, I just have to figure out the website to get it to do what I want. I don't have pms couls I email you

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So I take it the Black Friday deal on the Pixel 5 is one of those BOGOHO "you're our payment bitch for two years and start a new line for no other reason than to pad our numbers" deals?

Just wanting to make certain before I pick up an unlocked one tomorrow/in a few hours.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Id rather hook up a goon, I just have to figure out the website to get it to do what I want. I don't have pms couls I email you

Word up, email jimplaysdrums @ gmail dot com

Any issues I can usually help out with too.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So I take it the Black Friday deal on the Pixel 5 is one of those BOGOHO "you're our payment bitch for two years and start a new line for no other reason than to pad our numbers" deals?

Just wanting to make certain before I pick up an unlocked one tomorrow/in a few hours.

BOGO’s and other similar promos will always require the 2 years and add a line yeah.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Am I understanding the Verizon deal correctly that, as a current Verizon customer, I can trade in my original Pixel and get $400 off a Pixel 5, in effect getting it for $300 new (prorated over the course of a two-year contract)?

I'm on the 2 GB plan, though, which I think might disqualify me? It looks like there's some fine print suggesting that you have to get certain monthly plans (which I think are way more expensive) in order to qualify for the trade-in.

Also, I have some text messages on my phone from a loved one who passed a few years ago. I really, really don't want to lose those and would love for them to transfer over to my new phone (along with my contacts and other data, I guess). If I go in-store to do this, can they do that transfer? Or can they not transfer text messages?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

surf rock posted:

Am I understanding the Verizon deal correctly that, as a current Verizon customer, I can trade in my original Pixel and get $400 off a Pixel 5, in effect getting it for $300 new (prorated over the course of a two-year contract)?

I'm on the 2 GB plan, though, which I think might disqualify me? It looks like there's some fine print suggesting that you have to get certain monthly plans (which I think are way more expensive) in order to qualify for the trade-in.

Also, I have some text messages on my phone from a loved one who passed a few years ago. I really, really don't want to lose those and would love for them to transfer over to my new phone (along with my contacts and other data, I guess). If I go in-store to do this, can they do that transfer? Or can they not transfer text messages?

Few things :

-sorry for your loss 😔

-I think it might require an unlimited plan ? I have to check tomorrow on the Pixel promo. You are correct that your 2GB plan for one person is $55, I unlimited is minimum $70, so it wouldn’t be worth the promo

-stores don’t transfer info anymore, and pixel to pixel you would use the data transfer tool in the box anyway. It *should* get the text messages, but text messages are finicky.

-I highly recommend screen shotting those text messages so they at least save to google photos.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Duckman2008 posted:

Few things :

-sorry for your loss 😔

-I highly recommend screen shotting those text messages so they at least save to google photos.

Thank you, and that is such a good idea. I'll do that right now.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Hrm - I *want* to get an unlocked phone, but if Verizon's willing to give me $400 in credit for my 128GB OG PXL... :hmmyes:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Hrm - I *want* to get an unlocked phone, but if Verizon's willing to give me $400 in credit for my 128GB OG PXL... :hmmyes:

Disclaimer that , as mentioned, I’m blanking on the exact terms of the promo, but if that’s what it is, then if you’re staying with Verizon for 2 years it’s fine. And general FYI, all Verizon sold phones become auto unlocked after 60 days of use.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thanks for the help duckman. i didnt know you were a flyers fan also so that makes you double cool.

trying to get the cart to show a 300 gift card per line though; right now its just showing 100 rip. if i talk to a chat person is that going to remove your commission

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thanks for the help duckman. i didnt know you were a flyers fan also so that makes you double cool.

trying to get the cart to show a 300 gift card per line though; right now its just showing 100 rip. if i talk to a chat person is that going to remove your commission

I think it’s weird , but I’ve had online give weird misquotes with the gift card. But the gift cards are pretty straight forward , it’s $300 switcher as long as you switch, get one of the higher tier unlimited and buy a phone $699.99 or higher. Even if it glitches when you redeem it it should work.

I can always double check promos tomorrow for you too if need be no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

surf rock posted:

Thank you, and that is such a good idea. I'll do that right now.

FYI, for anyone looking at a Pixel 5, Verizon is doing straight up $350 off it if you buy it online till the end of Sunday, and it seems to stack with other deals. So if you do a trade in upgrade, you get the $400 bill credits on top of that and come out with a $50 "profit". You should still be able to use Duckman's code, too, to help him out.

Also use SMS Backup and Restore app to backup and move all your text and MMS messages. Google's built in backup solution is highly likely to not work the way you think / want and will lose you a lot of stuff if you're not aware of what it's actually doing.