Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

My old but faithful i7 3930k dying and I need to get it upgraded anyways (still on a DDR3 board). I've been waiting for the r9 5900x, but this stock situation is too frustrating.
Would it be a bad idea to just get a 3900X and see some months down the line how it'll look to then maybe trade it out for a 5900x? Or forget the AMD shuffle and just go with the latest i7? Hate these choices...

I mainly just need a CPU, motherboard, and memory with a $1k budget. My current case, cooling, PSU and storage are OK. I have a GTX 1080 that I hope to eventually replace, but since my CPU currently the problem I need something soon.
I'm leaning towards this:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/RwfFf7/amd-ryzen-9-3900xt-38-ghz-12-core-processor-100-100000277wof
Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dmGnTW/asus-tuf-gaming-x570-plus-wi-fi-atx-am4-motherboard-tuf-gaming-x570-plus-wi-fi
G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-4000 CL18 Memory
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/29gQzy/gskill-ripjaws-v-64-gb-2-x-32-gb-ddr4-4000-cl18-memory-f4-4000c18d-64gvk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

AzureSkys posted:

My old but faithful i7 3930k dying and I need to get it upgraded anyways (still on a DDR3 board). I've been waiting for the r9 5900x, but this stock situation is too frustrating.
Would it be a bad idea to just get a 3900X and see some months down the line how it'll look to then maybe trade it out for a 5900x? Or forget the AMD shuffle and just go with the latest i7? Hate these choices...

I mainly just need a CPU, motherboard, and memory with a $1k budget. My current case, cooling, PSU and storage are OK. I have a GTX 1080 that I hope to eventually replace, but since my CPU currently the problem I need something soon.
I'm leaning towards this:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/RwfFf7/amd-ryzen-9-3900xt-38-ghz-12-core-processor-100-100000277wof
Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dmGnTW/asus-tuf-gaming-x570-plus-wi-fi-atx-am4-motherboard-tuf-gaming-x570-plus-wi-fi
G.Skill Ripjaws V 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-4000 CL18 Memory
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/29gQzy/gskill-ripjaws-v-64-gb-2-x-32-gb-ddr4-4000-cl18-memory-f4-4000c18d-64gvk

If that's your plan, just get a 3600 right now and wait to upgrade. It will probably be easier to resell and will be just as good for gaming in the near term:

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1329815591151144960?s=20

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

infraboy posted:

Someday I will be able to buy a Zen3 and RTX/Navi card off Amazon or equivalent for normal retail prices

This is why I'm waiting on the 3080TI

I think GPU buying will become easier and easier as AMD partner cards hit the market. I still expect to need to use stock watch discord but it won't be as brutal.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Samadhi posted:

Does anyone have any experience buying RAM directly from Crucial? They have a 2x16GB kit that no one else has, but their website is generally trash so I doubt their commitment to e-commerce, and to Sparkle Motion.

Sample of one, but it’s gone OK for me when I’ve ordered RAM or an SSD through them.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Just a heads up for anyone who has recently build a new PC with an MSI board and installed the Dragon Center software, the "LAN Manager" turned a Google Fiber 940/940 connection into a 470/15 connection. Disabled that and speeds were instantly back to normal.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Hello thread! Could you help me design a computer? I live in Sweden and will most likely buy from https://www.komplett.se/. I am looking to spend $1000-1500. This will be used both for gaming and for working with games, so I'd like it to be good but doesn't need to be bleeding edge. 1080p is fine. A new monitor would be nice but not vital. My current one works but is old and it would be neat to get a new one and move to a 2 monitor setup.

On the other hand it's possible the entire expense up to $2500 might be tax deductible, so in that case I'd be happy enough spending up to that much if it makes a noticeable difference. I am waiting on confirmation of this, but if you could mention where the best upgrades are it would be very helpful. If this would put me into the range where 4k would look good I would also need a 4k monitor within the same budget.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've got like a weird thing with my PSU and I've been able to specifically hone in and figure it was my PSU but it makes like a drop clicking noise. It's not constant, it's not coil whine, it's enough of a noise that I thought it was my HDD being accessed kind of noise. But it happens on/off and I don't know if I should RMA the psu or if it's fine and I can live with it. I only really hear it when I'm not doing anything sound wise on the computer.

Edit; it very much sounds like a drop of water hitting glass and that's really the best description it can give. It's not whining constantly, it's not clicking constantly, it just sounds like a droplet of water hitting glass every 30 seconds or so.

Asema fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Nov 21, 2020

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Is there a good recommendation for SSDs for bulk storage? I would want something that's about 2TB in size, maybe a bit less. Are they "worth it" at that size, or still too expensive, and I should just get another platter drive?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n3FDj2

Alright so updated again with the advice of this thread.

1. Is there any reason to have an ATX instead of micro-ATX?

2. Is cooling an issue at this price range? Or will I be fine so long as I don't overclock?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Which 32 GB ram set should I get for my incoming 5600X?

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Gunder posted:

Is there a good recommendation for SSDs for bulk storage? I would want something that's about 2TB in size, maybe a bit less. Are they "worth it" at that size, or still too expensive, and I should just get another platter drive?

I'm considered grabbing a 2TB WD Blue in the black friday sales https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073SBRHH6?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

But it's still more than double what you're paying for the platter equivalent https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079BQS5WQ?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

This is just 2.5" drives, I'm sure there's a lot more platter options if you have the space for 3.5"

Rhaka fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 21, 2020

Optikalusion
Feb 21, 2007
The better you look the more you see

Optikalusion posted:

Not a silly question at all! I appreciate the tips. In fact I flashed with and without a cpu.

I finally managed to get one boot into the bios after uninstalling everything, pulling the cmos battery out for 30m, and reinstalling everything. All the components looked good in the bios which gives me hope for the processor not being fried, but every subsequent boot went directly back to the cpu error light. I finally talked to MSI and we went through everything and they suggested to send the board back as well, dude said it sounded like a short somewhere.

Let’s see if the asus board I ordered fixes this tomorrow.

Just an update - got an Asus TUF x570-PRO wifi, plugged everything in and it worked IMMEDIATELY. So looks like the msi tomahawk was bad.

And I have to say, coming directly from working on the msi, the Asus bios and setup sure does seem easier / more refined. But my opinion could be colored having wasted 2 days on a defective board! :)

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Optikalusion posted:

Just an update - got an Asus TUF x570-PRO wifi, plugged everything in and it worked IMMEDIATELY. So looks like the msi tomahawk was bad.

And I have to say, coming directly from working on the msi, the Asus bios and setup sure does seem easier / more refined. But my opinion could be colored having wasted 2 days on a defective board! :)

The Asus TUF x570-PRO is a recently released board, so it's probably pre-loaded with the latest bios revision. I heard that MSI bios is having issues with the new ryzen processors, so that could've been your problem if that's what you're using. Asus bios support seems better than MSI in general.

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.
What are the go-to benchmark programs nowadays? I'd like to see how much bigger the numbers are with my new 5600x system compared to my old 2500k antique. Is 3DMark worth the money?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Boz0r posted:

Which 32 GB ram set should I get for my incoming 5600X?

The consensus that I've seen seems to be 2x16gb 3600mhz cl 16 ram kit running dual channel. (Which is also what I got with my 3900x.)

From there check compatibility, check reviews, and then pick for aesthetics or functional reasons. (Like lower profile for more CPU fan clearance.)

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Pedialyte posted:

What are the go-to benchmark programs nowadays? I'd like to see how much bigger the numbers are with my new 5600x system compared to my old 2500k antique. Is 3DMark worth the money?

I think 3DMark Time Spy basic version is free IIRC. The full 3dmark test suite goes on sale for like $5 fairly often and unlocks a bunch more benchmarks and torture tests.

Unigine has a bunch of benchmarks that have free basic versions.

Passmark performance test is free and is a more general test.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
My friend is building a new computer after he managed to snag a RTX 3080. Let me know if there's any standout issues.

The i7-10700 is used from a different friend so that's why it's like half price (and why he's sticking with Intel instead of making a Ryzen build). The Hyper 212 EVO is from his old PC. Probably two more 2.5" SSDs and 1 3.5" HDD also coming from his old computer that aren't on this list. His main concerns were not knowing much about motherboards and if the PSU was big enough.

He needs onboard mobo wifi

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700 2.9 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $160.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($197.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($150.53 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.99 @ Monoprice)
Total: $943.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-21 13:29 EST-0500

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Asema posted:

I've got like a weird thing with my PSU and I've been able to specifically hone in and figure it was my PSU but it makes like a drop clicking noise. It's not constant, it's not coil whine, it's enough of a noise that I thought it was my HDD being accessed kind of noise. But it happens on/off and I don't know if I should RMA the psu or if it's fine and I can live with it. I only really hear it when I'm not doing anything sound wise on the computer.

Edit; it very much sounds like a drop of water hitting glass and that's really the best description it can give. It's not whining constantly, it's not clicking constantly, it just sounds like a droplet of water hitting glass every 30 seconds or so.

That could be the fan just kicking in then ramping off. Most current PSUs have multiple modes that include no fan spin outside of a temp. Check your PSU manual for it and change the switch to have the fan always on and see if it makes a difference.

If it does, check with the manufacturer if it’s expected behavior. Some fans have a spin up noise but it’s rare. It could be a sign the fan is bad.

Darkrenown posted:

Hello thread! Could you help me design a computer? I live in Sweden and will most likely buy from https://www.komplett.se/. I am looking to spend $1000-1500. This will be used both for gaming and for working with games, so I'd like it to be good but doesn't need to be bleeding edge. 1080p is fine. A new monitor would be nice but not vital. My current one works but is old and it would be neat to get a new one and move to a 2 monitor setup.

On the other hand it's possible the entire expense up to $2500 might be tax deductible, so in that case I'd be happy enough spending up to that much if it makes a noticeable difference. I am waiting on confirmation of this, but if you could mention where the best upgrades are it would be very helpful. If this would put me into the range where 4k would look good I would also need a 4k monitor within the same budget.

I’m not familiar with Swedish pricing or availability on components, but in the US$ 2500 would easily get you a 4K system + a nice 4K monitor, and would be a giant upgrade over something at the $1000 range.

Gunder posted:

Depends on what it’s for. If it’s for media serving or rarely accessed files, get a spinner and save the money.

If it’s something you may need to move around quickly or are going to work/game off of, a SSD is worth it no matter what (outside of working in video).

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n3FDj2

Alright so updated again with the advice of this thread.

1. Is there any reason to have an ATX instead of micro-ATX?

2. Is cooling an issue at this price range? Or will I be fine so long as I don't overclock?

ATX vs mATX is purely preference and if you need space for 3.5” hard drives or massive GPUs.

Cooling see the rest of the post.

That price is a little high for the 3600, but pricing is a bit high for that part right now. If budget is your focus do some hunting or consider used. CPUs rarely die.

If you have any plans to upgrade the GPU in the build in the future, you may want to just invest in a 650w or 750w PSU now. You’ll spend $20 now to save maybe like $130 later buying a whole new PSU.

As far as cooling, the stock cooler for the 3600 is fine if you don’t mind the additional noise it’s going to make. Only get something else if you want quiet or want to OC heavily.

Additionally, that case only comes with one rear exhaust fan, which is bad. Find 2 decent 120mm fans to go into the front panel as intake.

MagusDraco posted:

My friend is building a new computer after he managed to snag a RTX 3080. Let me know if there's any standout issues.

The i7-10700 is used from a different friend so that's why it's like half price (and why he's sticking with Intel instead of making a Ryzen build). The Hyper 212 EVO is from his old PC. Probably two more 2.5" SSDs and 1 3.5" HDD also coming from his old computer that aren't on this list. His main concerns were not knowing much about motherboards and if the PSU was big enough.

He needs onboard mobo wifi

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700 2.9 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $160.00)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($197.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair 275R Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($150.53 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA G3 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.99 @ Monoprice)
Total: $943.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-21 13:29 EST-0500

This looks fine outside of the PSU maybe being a bit high in price and wasting money on the Samsung ssd. You can shave $35 by getting the western digital SN550.

That ram price is also a little high for 2x16 3200 and you can probably get it closer to $100 if you hunt around.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Looking at options for playing Cyberpunk 2077, debating between PS5 and building a new PC for this. I would likely wait until Boxing Day to try and get some deals though I guess this year might be different from others with how that works, would Black Friday be comparable in terms of savings? I generally avoid getting next gen consoles at time of release but there is an appeal to the plug and play aspect. I live in Canada if that makes any difference. Here is my current build:
Case - Fractal Design Define R3 [Supports ATX]
Motherboard - ASUS Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Z87 DDR3 3PCI-E16 4PCI-E1 CROSSFIREX/SLI SATA3 USB3.0 DVI HDMI Motherboard
CPU - Intel i5-4690K 3.50GHz
SSD - 128gb Crucial M4
Internal HDDs - x2 4TB Seagate, 3TB WD Caviar Green, 1TB WD Caviar Black
External HDDs - 8TB Seagate Expansion and 8TB Seagate Backup Plus Hub (bought Dec 2019)
RAM - 32GB DDR3:
-Kingston HyperX Fury Memory Black 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-1866 CL10 Dual Channel Memory Kit
-G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL10 Dual Channel Kit
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 Superclocked - ACX Cooler 2.0, 1165Mhz Clock, 7010Mhz Memory, PCI Express 3.0, Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort
Power Supply - EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 850W Power Supply 80 Plus Gold Certified Full Modular Power Supply Intel 4th Gen CPU Compatible 10 Year Warranty
Fans - stock Fractal 120mm x2, stock Antec 80mm, stock IBM 40mm
OS - Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Displays - Dell E2715H 27”(1980x1080), LG 42CS560 TV

Been a long while since I've upgraded or built something so I assume I'd need to replace the motherboard, SSD, RAM, GPU and CPU at the very least. I looked at pc part picker but couldn't find much guidance. There used to be recommended hardware with respect to price point in product cycle in OP but can't seem to find it anymore. Here's the recommended specs for Cyberpunk:

Galdun
Oct 9, 2012
I bought myself 16GB of 3200MHz RAM to go with a 5600X because it was on sale. Should I have got 3600 instead? Pairing with a 1070 until I can find a 30x0

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I can get a pretty good deal on a Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650W or 750W. I was planning to upgrade from my 550W when my 3080 arrived (it's gonna get there, I promise), but this presents an opportunity to square away the power issue. My worry is that I've no memory of what the bronze/gold stuff means, and I don't know if it's a good choice in general.

https://www.komplett.no/product/1135147/datautstyr/pc-komponenter/stroemforsyning/enheter/cooler-master-mwe-bronze-v2-650w

Also, I can't remember if 650 or 750 is the rec for a 3080?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Corte posted:

Looking at options for playing Cyberpunk 2077, debating between PS5 and building a new PC for this. I would likely wait until Boxing Day to try and get some deals though I guess this year might be different from others with how that works, would Black Friday be comparable in terms of savings? I generally avoid getting next gen consoles at time of release but there is an appeal to the plug and play aspect. I live in Canada if that makes any difference. Here is my current build:
Case - Fractal Design Define R3 [Supports ATX]
Motherboard - ASUS Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Z87 DDR3 3PCI-E16 4PCI-E1 CROSSFIREX/SLI SATA3 USB3.0 DVI HDMI Motherboard
CPU - Intel i5-4690K 3.50GHz
SSD - 128gb Crucial M4
Internal HDDs - x2 4TB Seagate, 3TB WD Caviar Green, 1TB WD Caviar Black
External HDDs - 8TB Seagate Expansion and 8TB Seagate Backup Plus Hub (bought Dec 2019)
RAM - 32GB DDR3:
-Kingston HyperX Fury Memory Black 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-1866 CL10 Dual Channel Memory Kit
-G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL10 Dual Channel Kit
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5 Superclocked - ACX Cooler 2.0, 1165Mhz Clock, 7010Mhz Memory, PCI Express 3.0, Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort
Power Supply - EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 850W Power Supply 80 Plus Gold Certified Full Modular Power Supply Intel 4th Gen CPU Compatible 10 Year Warranty
Fans - stock Fractal 120mm x2, stock Antec 80mm, stock IBM 40mm
OS - Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Displays - Dell E2715H 27”(1980x1080), LG 42CS560 TV

Been a long while since I've upgraded or built something so I assume I'd need to replace the motherboard, SSD, RAM, GPU and CPU at the very least. I looked at pc part picker but couldn't find much guidance. There used to be recommended hardware with respect to price point in product cycle in OP but can't seem to find it anymore. Here's the recommended specs for Cyberpunk:

Your system does meet the minimum requirements for 1080p, so you could try the game without upgrading. Otherwise, you might consider a GPU upgrade now and CPU, Motherboard, et cetera in the future too. Nearly everything’s in short supply right now, but if you had a budget we could make some suggestions for parts to seek out.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Galdun posted:

I bought myself 16GB of 3200MHz RAM to go with a 5600X because it was on sale. Should I have got 3600 instead? Pairing with a 1070 until I can find a 30x0

Most good 3200mhz RAM will overclock to 3600 with little issue. Don't worry about it.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

nitsuga posted:

Your system does meet the minimum requirements for 1080p, so you could try the game without upgrading. Otherwise, you might consider a GPU upgrade now and CPU, Motherboard, et cetera in the future too. Nearly everything’s in short supply right now, but if you had a budget we could make some suggestions for parts to seek out.

Thanks for taking a look and that's a good suggestion! I'm not sure what my budget is as I wasn't sure how much hardware I'd need to replace. I think I'll take your advice, see how it runs on my current setup, look for a deal on a GPU if I think I'd like to see some improvement without doing a complete rebuild.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Corte posted:

Thanks for taking a look and that's a good suggestion! I'm not sure what my budget is as I wasn't sure how much hardware I'd need to replace. I think I'll take your advice, see how it runs on my current setup, look for a deal on a GPU if I think I'd like to see some improvement without doing a complete rebuild.

Of course! This website has been/still is really helpful for me: https://www.logicalincrements.com/

For CyberPunk 2077, and general longevity, you should probably be thinking of a system in the Good (or better) range. I've got something more like a Fair system personally, but my plans aren't all that ambitious, and I'm OK running a somewhat lower-end GPU (1650 Super). I was on the fence with doing that or getting a PS5, but I figure I'll let the supply and bugs get worked out over the next year or two there and then regroup.

Anyway, if I had to guess, replacing your GPU would probably be the most beneficial, but right behind it would be your CPU. You could always try to track down a fourth generation i7 (4C/8T is becoming more and more of a floor for the more demanding titles), but they go for ~$100 pretty easily, which might be better socked away for a more complete overhaul.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 22, 2020

Galdun
Oct 9, 2012

Funso Banjo posted:

Most good 3200mhz RAM will overclock to 3600 with little issue. Don't worry about it.

Thanks! :)

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Kingnothing posted:

I’m not familiar with Swedish pricing or availability on components, but in the US$ 2500 would easily get you a 4K system + a nice 4K monitor, and would be a giant upgrade over something at the $1000 range.

I mean, yeah. But I have no idea what to get. Does this thread no longer suggest builds? I made my last PC years ago after reading a previous version of this thread which had a handy basic guide for different price ranges in the OP.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Kingnothing posted:

As far as cooling, the stock cooler for the 3600 is fine if you don’t mind the additional noise it’s going to make. Only get something else if you want quiet or want to OC heavily.

Additionally, that case only comes with one rear exhaust fan, which is bad. Find 2 decent 120mm fans to go into the front panel as intake.

Would getting a whole different case with build in better cooling make sense or just adding fans?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Would getting a whole different case with build in better cooling make sense or just adding fans?

Either. Whatever you want is fine.

Darkrenown posted:

I mean, yeah. But I have no idea what to get. Does this thread no longer suggest builds? I made my last PC years ago after reading a previous version of this thread which had a handy basic guide for different price ranges in the OP.

The thread does, but it is difficult if you ask for two completely separate builds. I recommend honing down a hard budget and some explicit wants/needs, and follow the questionnaire structure from the OP. Someone will come along and help make a build.

There’s been a large amount of new hardware released over the past two months so things haven’t stabilized enough to recommended generic builds.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Awesome, gonna pull the trigger on this soon! Thanks!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Kingnothing posted:

The thread does, but it is difficult if you ask for two completely separate builds. I recommend honing down a hard budget and some explicit wants/needs, and follow the questionnaire structure from the OP. Someone will come along and help make a build.

There’s been a large amount of new hardware released over the past two months so things haven’t stabilized enough to recommended generic builds.

I did?

quote:

What country are you in?
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?

All this was included in my first post, is there something else you want to know?

But to cut down on the needed effort, I only really need CPU and GPU recommendations. I'd guess a 3600 and a 1060/2060 for the cheaper version? I have no idea about the 4k version though.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

I did?

All this was included in my first post, is there something else you want to know?

But to cut down on the needed effort, I only really need CPU and GPU recommendations. I'd guess a 3600 and a 1060/2060 for the cheaper version? I have no idea about the 4k version though.
I would say that the 1060 and 2060 are not good value right now.

The upper end of the $1,000-$1,500 budget (let alone $2,500) is particularly difficult right now because it's hard to recommend a graphics card better than the 1660 super that's actually in stock anywhere, so the details will depend on your willingness to either pay scalped prices, hunt down a good used deal or go over to the appropriate discord and try to get lucky (e: or play the long waiting game with a preorder or the EVGA step-up program). Things might settle down in the next couple of months, but who knows?

Here's a rough 1660 super build with room to grow (most especially to upgrade the GPU when/if things get less crazy) at ~1,000 USD. I mainly picked a 3700x because 3600 prices are really high right now but I'm not sure that's global as opposed to a US thing. If everything was in stock at MSRP then a 5600x or better could be options as well. (If you're going for the 2,500 limit then I would also go for more/faster storage, 32 gb of reasonably priced RAM, and a CPU cooler and a couple of 140mm fans if you care about things being quiet)

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($304.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($111.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB DUAL EVO OC Video Card ($252.11 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($87.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA G1+ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1022.03
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-21 18:47 EST-0500

FreeKillB fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 22, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Darkrenown posted:

But to cut down on the needed effort

It isn't people not wanting to expend the necessary effort to help you, it's that your stated parameters were way too broad to make decent recommendations. $1000-$2500, 1080p or 4k, no monitor/new monitor/dual screen monitors, how do you expect people to narrow down your priorities to give you better advice if you don't help them out when they ask? You could make 50 different builds for different needs based on all you've given us until now.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

It isn't people not wanting to expend the necessary effort to help you, it's that your stated parameters were way too broad to make decent recommendations. $1000-$2500, 1080p or 4k, no monitor/new monitor/dual screen monitors, how do you expect people to narrow down your priorities to give you better advice if you don't help them out when they ask? You could make 50 different builds for different needs based on all you've given us until now.

Basically this.

The reason people build PCs is because they either

A.) enjoy the process of the research/build process

And/or

B.) are looking for something specifically customized to their wants and needs (IE they have a specific budget, what a specific part or look, etc).

The +/- 10% cost factor in building isn’t worth it anymore if you find it a chore. If your goal is to throw 1000-2500 bucks in the air and a PC drops out of the sky with no thought, just buy a prebuilt. No one will shame you like they used to, and there’s plenty of good, reasonable options out there.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!

Darkrenown posted:

I did?

Do you have any interest in a prebuilt? This honestly looks fine for about $1550 USD

https://www.komplett.se/product/1173234/dator-surfplatta/komplett-pc/komplett-epic-gaming-pc/komplett-i145-epic-gaming-pc

I feel like for tax purposes keeping it as a prebuilt might make sense?

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 22, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Building is more of a hobbyist activity now...the era when you could get 2x-3x the performance per dollar by buying parts and assembling yourself are gone.

These days, you are probably paying 10-20% more for getting a pre-fab. Also, if you want a 3080, then Dell, et al, are probably a reliable route...

For instance, this Black Friday Alienware is actually cheaper than buying the parts outright, even with saving on Win10 and taking your :10bux: to SA Mart:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/des...ktop/wdryzr1040

Dell posted:

processor
AMD Ryzen™ 9 3900XT (12-Core, 70MB GameCache, Max Boost Clock of 4.7GHz)
Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, English
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ 8GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)
32GB Dual Channel HyperX™ FURY DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz; up to 64GB (additional memory sold separately)
1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
Dark Side of the Moon chassis with High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply
Est. Value is Dell’s estimate of product value based on industry data, including the prices at which third-party retailers have offered or valued the same or comparable products, in its most recent survey of major online and/or off-line retailers. Third-party retailer data may not be based on actual sales.
Est. Value $2,879.99
$2,399.99

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900XT 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($459.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory ($180.64 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card ($1249.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($264.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $2592.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-21 22:08 EST-0500

Where this thread comes in is posting one of those builds and then saying something like "I want to play Cyberpunk 2077 at 4k and Max RTX" at which point the thread would tell you to go with a 3600, drop the RAM down to 16GB, go with an 850W PSU, and put the savings towards a 3080.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Most goons probably have a lot of the parts already though or don't need to upgrade to the absolute best thing just yet. I have the ram, my cpu is an 8700k, there are better cpus but I don't see it as worth changing for a while. I don't know what you need a 1000w psu for but in prefabs they cheap on them. That said if your pc is like 10 years old with nothing upgraded that's not unreasonable perspective

During the summer/autumn I was tempted to buy one of the 2080s but the thread put me off it. Right now I don't now why you would buy one, the 3070 is half the price and better once its more available. I'm hunting for that or a 3080, nothing else needs to change.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Seems like a terrible idea to buy a card for $1250 that is an older card right now, unless you absolutely have to buy something today

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

spunkshui posted:

Well you should obviously build the system on a non-conductive surface to make sure your parts work and start gaming immediately.

I hope you weren't joking when you recommended this approach. Case still hasn't arrived and I got impatient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Nohearum posted:

I hope you weren't joking when you recommended this approach. Case still hasn't arrived and I got impatient.

I laughed out loud legitimately at this