Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shipon posted:

i used a PSVR once and felt motion sick for the first time in my life and that's why i'm convinced that VR will always be a meme which is why i posted what i did

annoying that devs are wasting resources on this

you are the #1 most important person to devs so i agree.

Maybe vr is like magic eye pictures and some people just cant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i can see magic eye pictures and i don't get airsick or seasick but vr (except for a few limited situations) rapidly gives me a massive headache so i can p much confirm it's a boondoggle

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i can see magic eye pictures and i don't get airsick or seasick but vr (except for a few limited situations) rapidly gives me a massive headache so i can p much confirm it's a boondoggle

I can't see Magic Eye pictures - they have never, ever worked for me.

I just don't give a crap about VR - it seems like a lot of money for dubious results, as far as I can tell.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
funny, i get car sick all the time but i handle vr just fine, i think you're just weird op and also flat gaming is a meme

e: realtalk tho VR loving owns and i feel sorry for people who can't enjoy it, maybe it'll be good enough one day so you guys can have fun too

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
vr is fun af

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Lol how many years in now and people still claiming vr is a fad. Quest 2 is blowing away all sales expectations, it's not going anywhere.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
cannot think of another thing with a bigger gap between expectation and reality than VR

still waiting on my hp reverb g2 for cockpit games tho

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

PSVR is old though has always kind of sucked as it's HMD positional tracking is floaty which means it's possible for it to trigger sickness even during stationary experiences.

Quest and Quest 2 are breakthrough products, if you're still claiming VR/AR/XR/whatever is a fad you're just not paying attention.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

*the VR defender has logged on*

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
You are mad that some people like VR?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I should talk about things I don't like on the internet instead.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Twibbit posted:

You are mad that some people like VR?

No, it's fine that people like VR. And it's fine that people like games I don't. I just thought it was funny that people saying they don't care about VR led to a bunch of posts evangelizing for it.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Weird how people giving their opinions often results in other people giving different opinions. <- You, apparently.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
VR has definitely one of the more evangelistic fanbases though.

The majority of the people I know who have tried VR, both experienced video game players and normies, find it interesting and fun to screw around with for a bit but not world-changing, not something to use all the time. But about 10% are super into it and bang on about flat gaming and never going back and all that, and they're the ones who get upset when a game doesn't have VR support (the companies know their market, okay) and constantly try to get other people involved.

it's kinda like interacting with wake-and-bake stoners

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I haven't seen anyone comparing VR to 3D tv's in a while haha.pretty funny.

probably the number 2 reason for ordering my 3080 is VR, first probably HDMI 2.1 poo poo

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

VR has definitely one of the more evangelistic fanbases though.

The majority of the people I know who have tried VR, both experienced video game players and normies, find it interesting and fun to screw around with for a bit but not world-changing, not something to use all the time. But about 10% are super into it and bang on about flat gaming and never going back and all that, and they're the ones who get upset when a game doesn't have VR support (the companies know their market, okay) and constantly try to get other people involved.

it's kinda like interacting with wake-and-bake stoners
You could write that second paragraph and replace VR with any early consumer tech that ended up being popular (admittedly some that weren't, also). Eventually barriers fall, the tech becomes more useful to more people and the popular notions of what it was capable of become outdated. But it's only initially the 10% who notice, which is probably a part of what spurs the evangelism.

Petulant whining has also gotten VR into games that hadn't announced support for it, why break from formula?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Shipon posted:

i used a PSVR once and felt motion sick for the first time in my life and that's why i'm convinced that VR will always be a meme which is why i posted what i did

annoying that devs are wasting resources on this

I get car sick very easily, and I lived on a ship for years in the Navy and constantly got seasick, way more than most. I struggled with my first VR experiences, since they were on an Oculus DK2 dev kit (no head tracking, only accelerometer head turning). That said I recently beat the entire Half Life Alyx campaign on a Pimax and was comfortable the whole time.

My tips:

1) Make totally sure your headset is calibrated to your IPD (distance between center of your eyes in millimeter); there's some tricks to get this number like using a ruler in a mirror, or walking into an optometrist and asking nicely (as long as you say it's for VR and not so you can go buy glasses from China with their info, they should be fine with it. It takes 5 seconds when they aren't busy). Don't use a fixed-IPD headset unless you're certain you're within a millimeter of its nominal IPD.

2) As an optional precaution you can eat ginger candy, a powdered ginger supplement, or chop some up fresh. It has been proven in double blind studies to have a significant effect on suppressing motion sickness. Some people take Dramamine but that's gotta be overkill if I of all people could manage with less.

3) Point a desk fan at yourself while you play. It prevents sweat, gives you fresh air to feel less stuffy in the headset, and it grounds you a bit giving you some sense of orientation.

4) Make sure your tracking is set up correctly and that the lighting is appropriate. No direct sunlight in most cases, no darkened rooms for optical tracking like Oculus Quest, no mirrors or picture frames nearby for Lighthouse.

5) Use the "teleport locomotion" in VR games, there's no shame in it. The games that slide you around with the thumbstick are easily the worst trigger for motion sickness. Cockpit games (driving, flying, other vehicles) can be bad to start with as well, especially if they have sharp turns or smacking into objects (so Microsoft Flight Simulator is likely more chill than Star Wars if you're not doing a 9/11). Start with stuff where you're mostly standing/teleporting, like Alyx, Superhot, Beatsaber, Recroom, and Bigscreen. Or better yet start with titles that are 100% stationary in-game while seated in real life, like Tetris Effect.

6) Here's where the GPU comes in... make absolutely sure the game is always running above the HZ of the headset. Lower your settings and even downscale the resolution if you need to because dropped frames or inconsistent frame pacing can get pukey fast.

7) If you get motion sick, stop immediately and don't try to fight through it. Otherwise you'll mentally associate it with VR and your brain might induce it next time even if you otherwise would have been fine.

Anyway, I hope you give it another try, it owns.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Got the update from Newegg that my RTX 3080 is set to arrive on Tuesday, after which point I will confirm that there are no supply issues, unprecedented demand and all that, I got mine so everything's fine, just look harder losers.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

OhFunny posted:

I too have rarely encountered tearing when fps exceeds my monitors frame rate. I think the last time was in Dragon Age: Inquisition because conversations were locked to 30.

I decided to test out if Dragon Age: Inquisition's cutscenes and dialogue moments still screen tear without vsync turned on with a variable refresh monitor and the answer is yes. It's much improved from how I remember it, but still very noticeable. I'd guess the Frostbite engine is to blame.

edit: checked my monitor's range and it's 40-144hz, so that could be why as well.

OhFunny fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Nov 22, 2020

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Thank you for this. I don't have VR at the moment but this a good effortpost I might come back to. I'll also send it to my friend who just got a Quest 2

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SCheeseman posted:

PSVR is old though has always kind of sucked as it's HMD positional tracking is floaty which means it's possible for it to trigger sickness even during stationary experiences.

It's also heavy and can slide around if it isn't fastened tightly (which can be uncomfortable/ painful).

I've had a not great experience with VR, but I wouldn't be surprised if most of my problems are just a question of immature tech rather than fundamental issues

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
I don't have VR but I want it to become successful and cheap enough in the eventuality that I buy a headset. I want to vomit violently on my computer while doing multiple flips in Dirt Rally because I cut a corner too close.

Thank you for this.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Anyway, I hope you give it another try, it owns.

Actually thank you for writing this up. If I come across the chance to try it out on a better headset than the PSVR I'll probably give it a shot and see if that makes a difference

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I can get a pretty good deal on a Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650W or 750W. I was planning to upgrade from my 550W when my 3080 arrived (it's gonna get there, I promise), but this presents an opportunity to square away the power issue. My worry is that I've no memory of what the bronze/gold stuff means, and I don't know if it's a good choice in general.

https://www.komplett.no/product/1135147/datautstyr/pc-komponenter/stroemforsyning/enheter/cooler-master-mwe-bronze-v2-650w

Also, I can't remember if 650 or 750 is the rec for a 3080?

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Super happy with my 3090 Strix, just cant wait to unlock more of it

14,318 playing with the V/F curve
https://www.3dmark.com/pr/528568

list of things still to do

-EK water block
-EK backplate
-MP5 works water block for the backplate
-Liquid metal
-8miliohm shunt resistors to get the cards power max up to 780w

:getin: gonna be fun doing all that once the parts show up

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Scarecow posted:

Super happy with my 3090 Strix, just cant wait to unlock more of it

14,318 playing with the V/F curve
https://www.3dmark.com/pr/528568

list of things still to do

-EK water block
-EK backplate
-MP5 works water block for the backplate
-Liquid metal
-8miliohm shunt resistors to get the cards power max up to 780w

:getin: gonna be fun doing all that once the parts show up

This is along the lines of what I plan to do when I get my 3090, though not half as ambitious. Can't wait to see! Might follow in your footsteps

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

So tell me, how bad of an idea is it to get a 3070 or a 6800 for 3440x1440 with a R5 2600x?

I'm running a 1060 right now which, ouch. Monitor got upgraded along the way because of work (I cannot have 2 monitors on my small desk) and right now playing loving sucks. I get that my CPU is probably an issue but of course everything is out of stock everywhere so at this point I wondered if the GPU was even worth it. It's out of stock everywhere too but seems easier to find than a new Ryzen.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Gros Tarla posted:

So tell me, how bad of an idea is it to get a 3070 or a 6800 for 3440x1440 with a R5 2600x?

I'm running a 1060 right now which, ouch. Monitor got upgraded along the way because of work (I cannot have 2 monitors on my small desk) and right now playing loving sucks. I get that my CPU is probably an issue but of course everything is out of stock everywhere so at this point I wondered if the GPU was even worth it. It's out of stock everywhere too but seems easier to find than a new Ryzen.

So I'm just running 1440, not ultrawide, but I have a 3070fe and a 2600x. Just ran Time Spy for the first time and got:

Overall score 11,302
Graphics score 13,545 (test 1 89.52 fps, test 2 76.72 fps)
CPU score: 5,832 and 19.6 FPS

I haven't really done anything resource intensive on it get, but I'm looking forward to seeing how well it runs Cyberpunk.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Gros Tarla posted:

3440x1440 is 34% more pixels to draw each frame than standard 1440p. It's still a long way from the amount needed to render at 4K, but I would start looking at higher end GPUs once you are moving upwards from 1440p.

Having said that a 3070 or equivalent would still be a huge upgrade over what you have now so.. :shrug:

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

AirRaid posted:

3440x1440 is 34% more pixels to draw each frame than standard 1440p. It's still a long way from the amount needed to render at 4K, but I would start looking at higher end GPUs once you are moving upwards from 1440p.

Having said that a 3070 or equivalent would still be a huge upgrade over what you have now so.. :shrug:

My understanding is that the 6800 sits somewhere between the 3070 and the 3080 which sounds like it would fill that gap exactly for 1440 UW. Is that a fair assessment?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Gros Tarla posted:

My understanding is that the 6800 sits somewhere between the 3070 and the 3080 which sounds like it would fill that gap exactly for 1440 UW. Is that a fair assessment?

As long as you don't turn on any ray tracing.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AMD is also still lagging behind on VR performance if that matters to you

https://babeltechreviews.com/vr-wars-the-rx-6800-xt-vs-the-rtx-3080-15-vr-games-performance-benchmarked/

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah I don't really care about VR or ray tracing. At this point I just want some stable frame rates.

Thanks! :)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Well that's an area where you're hosed in that price range. The 3070 seems starved for memory bandwidth and maybe capacity and has poor 1% / 0.1% lows, and pardon me if I don't believe in RDNA2 delivering stable performance either.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Uh, anyway, get a 3070 or 6800 if the below framerates look good enough for you!

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3597305/amd-radeon-rx-6800-rx-6800-xt-3440x1440-ultrawide-benchmarks.html?__twitter_impression=true

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

No, it's fine that people like VR. And it's fine that people like games I don't. I just thought it was funny that people saying they don't care about VR led to a bunch of posts evangelizing for it.

I started the derails and I'm not a huge VR evangelizer, but I spoke up because a couple of folks were saying things about VR that were 100% true until very recently at which point almost all of the issues mentioned were either solved or much improved on. VR is by no means at a perfected level but it took a true generational leap forward with the Quest 2 and people should be aware that their old impressions are no longer accurate and if they were ever excited about VR maybe it's time to take another look, especially with this latest generation of graphic cards out and how much power they can push.

VR will be enthusiast tech for a while longer. I had honestly given up on it as ever being more than that but I've swung back around to seeing the promise.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'm trying to register my Gigabyte 3080 for the 4-year warranty, but the registration page (for the US at least) keeps timing out. Anyone else having this issue? Would I be fine using their global page?

edit: Never mind, I just did it through their global page. I was fine.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 22, 2020

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

K8.0 posted:

Well that's an area where you're hosed in that price range. The 3070 seems starved for memory bandwidth and maybe capacity and has poor 1% / 0.1% lows, and pardon me if I don't believe in RDNA2 delivering stable performance either.

Do you have evidence of RNDA 2 having frame time delivery issues? I haven't looked into reviews much since I knew RT performance was gonna be sub par but that last part seems like more of your reflex anti-AMD side spazing again.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Neat! Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

MikeC posted:

Do you have evidence of RNDA 2 having frame time delivery issues? I haven't looked into reviews much since I knew RT performance was gonna be sub par but that last part seems like more of your reflex anti-AMD side spazing again.

It's just a prediction. We're clearly seeing memory bandwidth be a significant factor for current GPUs, and AMD's recent architectures have often lagged behind Nvidia's in terms of memory bandwidth efficiency. It's one of the areas where Nvidia took a huge lead and AMD is still catching up. That's why they put that big-rear end cache on there, to try to mitigate the impact of lacking memory bandwidth and potentially efficiency utilizing it. While it appears to be sufficient for current games, giving AMD leading to extremely competitive 1% / 0.1% lows in current game benches, I do not have any faith that this will remain the case going forward. Games like HZ:D which is known to be very memory bandwidth intensive already show a reversal of that trend, and if the cache isn't big enough for future titles AMD might end up losing their rasterization value. It's also part of why I'm really not a fan of the 3070 - to me, the 1% / 0.1% lows point toward it really not keeping its positioning relative to the 3080 as newer, more demanding games come out over the next 2 years. The new consoles are more than doubling the memory bandwidth on tap, games are going to be designed around that, which will increase the demands for higher detail/higher framerate PC performance.

I think it's silly to call me anti-AMD. I think my last several years of favoritism for Nvidia have proven pretty pragmatic, especially with the higher end AMD GPUs from Fury to Vega to Navi and their various woes. AMD is on the verge of being truly competitive with Nvidia again, but I am skeptical of these current products. I will admit that in general I have a huge bias toward the 3080 as the best value in GPUs right now, but that's against everything else on the market, not just AMD.