Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wasabi the J posted:

Cats break reality, how the hell can you expect a game engine to handle more realistic cat behavior.

Can't wait until Spider-Man the cat infiltrates a bad guy's lair by going through a seam in the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Maybe we can finally harness the power of raytracing to accurately tease cats with laser pointers

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
God now I want a Laser Cats game.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

Can't wait until Spider-Man the cat infiltrates a bad guy's lair by going through a seam in the wall.

Maybe it could sting people

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I'm only very early into Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, but it's doing a lot of good really fast.

EDIT: Also, Zelda's voice actor is clearly the same person, but is MUCH better this time around. That's good, since her performance was the worst part of BotW.

See, people thought Zelda was locked away in BotW to hold back Ganon but in reality it's because her voice acting was so bad.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Triarii posted:

or perhaps to play fetch with a dog.

Wasn't that one of the ten million minigames in GTA5? Iirc you could go on a walk with your friends dog and it would give you a tennis ball you could throw as a grenade and it would fetch it.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
:siren: Simple and Clean is the way that you're making feel tonight :siren:
:siren: It's hard to let go :siren:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

RareAcumen posted:

See, people thought Zelda was locked away in BotW to hold back Ganon but in reality it's because her voice acting was so bad.

Age of Calamity is, like, a time travel-influenced prequel set before Zelda got locked away, so maybe a hundred years was just a long enough time for her to forget how to talk well.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I know I'm worse at talking after sitting around inside on my own for half a year, I get it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Triarii posted:

I'm glad that petting dogs, and occasionally cats, has gained mainstream acceptance. But what I'm waiting for is the technology that allows us to dangle a string around for a cat to play with, or perhaps to play fetch with a dog.

In that rationale, No More Heroes 2 is the most innovative game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

bony tony posted:

I'm playing as Gal Eivor, because Eivor is a female name, and I like to play as a gal whenever a game gives me the option. I don't think her voice-acting is as bad as you think it is, it's just an enormous contrast to Kassandra.

A small thing I like about Valhalla is that you can pet cats.

Now that I'm deeper into Valhalla I don't think female Eivor is bad, just not as immediately charming as Kassandra. Eivor is rather serious, sensitive and kind of poetic, you kind of get the sense that she would have gladly settled for a life writing eddas instead of pillaging. Kassandra meanwhile was so gleefully amoral, carnal, and not especially bright so it was consistently amusing to stab your way out of delicate political situations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Eivor is a girls name so Galvor is canon. :norway:

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Triarii posted:

I'm glad that petting dogs, and occasionally cats, has gained mainstream acceptance. But what I'm waiting for is the technology that allows us to dangle a string around for a cat to play with, or perhaps to play fetch with a dog.

At least Monster Hunter Rise appears to be making forward strides in the cat department.

say what you will about pokemon sword and shield, but it gave you the ability to wave a feather on a stick in front of, AND play fetch with, every pokemon creature in existence.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Triarii posted:

At least Monster Hunter Rise appears to be making forward strides in the cat department.

https://i.imgur.com/4DmOdbk.mp4

Cats in Monster Hunter are very unrealistic because they keep making food instead of begging for it constantly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Turpitude II posted:

say what you will about pokemon sword and shield, but it gave you the ability to wave a feather on a stick in front of, AND play fetch with, every pokemon creature in existence.

That's been a thing since X and Y gave it a name that deserves credit: Pokemon'Amie

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That's been a thing since X and Y gave it a name that deserves credit: Pokemon'Amie

you could pet them and feed them in amie, which i miss, but you could only play minigames with them, not use pet toys.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Age of Calamity is, like, a time travel-influenced prequel set before Zelda got locked away, so maybe a hundred years was just a long enough time for her to forget how to talk well.

What about the flashback cutscenes of her meeting the four champions and all that? Wasn't her voice acting still terrible back then too?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

RareAcumen posted:

What about the flashback cutscenes of her meeting the four champions and all that? Wasn't her voice acting still terrible back then too?

Yes, but there's a couple of potential explanations there if you want to chase them.

1. The cutscenes take place after the Calamity's gone into full swing and the four warriors have all been chosen and united; that's actually before Age of Calamity picks up, so it's possible that the whole 'being at a horrible war where she has to do Big Deal poo poo' kinda took its toll on her being able to talk well.

2. Those flashbacks are Link's, who likely doesn't have objective recall, and who is definitely kinda dumb. It's possible that he heard Zelda after her Voice Acting Baddening, and kinda transplanted that into his memories of the past. So he's remembering what she said, but not how she said it.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

A cat thing in games I like is that, in Bayonetta, you can travel between plains of existence that sit atop each other sharing the same space. When you're in Paradiso (the angel world) angels are solid and humans are spectres. In Purgatorio (the human world), the opposite applies.

In both worlds, cats are solid. Just like in real life, cats transcend the boundaries of reality.

I like to think that this explains when cats stare at nothing for ages before sprinting about the place. They're just chasing off the bad angels :3:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

So I play XCOM 2 Long War a lot and complain about it even more in the other topic, but there's an (unintended) feature that never fails to make me laugh. One of the newly added enemy units is a water melon sized drone that wanders around the map looking for xcom rebels to taze. What's funny is that even outside of combat they completely disregard windows and simply fly right through them with a dramatic crash and glass flying everywhere. The mundane terror of being a civilian in an ADVENT city, living in mostly glass buildings designed by the same aliens that regularly deploy window-breaking drones is a very amusing thought to me :allears:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

Now that I'm deeper into Valhalla I don't think female Eivor is bad, just not as immediately charming as Kassandra. Eivor is rather serious, sensitive and kind of poetic, you kind of get the sense that she would have gladly settled for a life writing eddas instead of pillaging. Kassandra meanwhile was so gleefully amoral, carnal, and not especially bright so it was consistently amusing to stab your way out of delicate political situations.

I like that a lot of people treated her like the Hulk in Avengers. Just point her in the direction of people that need stabbing and wait for the screams. Whenever they did, the characters did a good job of having to patiently explain that when going to a nice party, you need to dress up a little.
Plus it was a nice change that both Kassandra and Alexios are loving morons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Riatsala posted:

So I play XCOM 2 Long War a lot and complain about it even more in the other topic, but there's an (unintended) feature that never fails to make me laugh. One of the newly added enemy units is a water melon sized drone that wanders around the map looking for xcom rebels to taze. What's funny is that even outside of combat they completely disregard windows and simply fly right through them with a dramatic crash and glass flying everywhere. The mundane terror of being a civilian in an ADVENT city, living in mostly glass buildings designed by the same aliens that regularly deploy window-breaking drones is a very amusing thought to me :allears:

This isn't far off how the later game units by default will smash through scenery and buildings while on a patrol completely unaware of XCOM.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Flint_Paper posted:

A cat thing in games I like is that, in Bayonetta, you can travel between plains of existence that sit atop each other sharing the same space. When you're in Paradiso (the angel world) angels are solid and humans are spectres. In Purgatorio (the human world), the opposite applies.

In both worlds, cats are solid. Just like in real life, cats transcend the boundaries of reality.

I like to think that this explains when cats stare at nothing for ages before sprinting about the place. They're just chasing off the bad angels :3:

Ahem, actually the area where you spend most of your time, where the humans are ghostly, is Purgatorio, the space between the worlds. You fight most of the angels there. Paradiso has no humans, ghostly or otherwise, and I THINK is only in Bayonetta 2? And in the human world proper, of course, the angels are invisible, but can still be sensed by their direct physical effects, but you knew that.

(:goonsay:)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Paradiso is in Bayonetta 1, it's the midgame segment where everything is light and feathers and recycled assets fragments of the human world floating in clouds. Inferno is only in Bayonetta 2, it's the hell environment full of giant bugs and flesh monsters.

This is all clearly explained by Rodin, cmon people

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

exquisite tea posted:

I like that, in the short sidequests, you often have a dialogue choice of "do the sensible thing" and "do the thing that'll make for a good story". Eivor gets opportunities to be a skald sometimes (in the flyting bouts etc), and it's clear that they enjoy it.

I also like that Dag's stories are short, not very fun, and everybody has heard them a thousand times.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
You couldn’t pet the cats in Metal Gear Rising Revengence but you can try and cut them up with your sword and watch them dance around your blade.

Though now that I think about it you never get the chance to pet Blade Wolf either...

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

haveblue posted:

Paradiso is in Bayonetta 1, it's the midgame segment where everything is light and feathers and recycled assets fragments of the human world floating in clouds. Inferno is only in Bayonetta 2, it's the hell environment full of giant bugs and flesh monsters.

This is all clearly explained by Rodin, cmon people

Gotcha, I didn't remember if those bits were in Bayonetta 1 or 2, I've played both but I'm replaying 2 and my SO it playing through 1 so it all got a bit muddled.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

SPOILERS: In Valhalla there's a side quest where you meet a woman living in the sewers and you have to find a bunch of eggs for her, whereupon her farts become so rancid that they drift up to the street and make everyone throw up from how rancid they are

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

grittyreboot posted:

SPOILERS: In Valhalla there's a side quest where you meet a woman living in the sewers and you have to find a bunch of eggs for her, whereupon her farts become so rancid that they drift up to the street and make everyone throw up from how rancid they are

what

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

I had the same question and ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s-sueR5BaM

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

These South Park sequels are getting real out there

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Captain Hygiene posted:

I can't imagine anyone has ever opted to play as Whatever Her Brother's Name Is but the whole time I'm playing through I picture him coming off as a weird creep rather than hilariously charming like she is.

lol I'll just crosspost this from yesterday here

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol my Kass is strictly for the ladies so I missed the full reveal at the end of this quest, so thank you Alexios

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPTxLvwRYSQ

(Spoilers etc if you haven't played and are meaning to)

edit: oh fucks sake I just got the pun with Supedio's name and the outcome for his mother and father :o:

his proud 'hands on hips' pose at the end :lol:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
What I'm really liking in Assassin's Creed Valhalla so far is that not all the low level members of the Order are cartoonishly evil. Some just wanted their lives to be more fun, or to have more ale to drink - and Eivor is kind of understanding about that in the death cutscenes with them. She seems to understand how easy it is to go down a bad path.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
lol of course the stinky egg woman is anglo-saxons

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
reminds me of this: https://twitter.com/erik_kaars/status/1119521714612862976?s=20

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

moosecow333 posted:

You couldn’t pet the cats in Metal Gear Rising Revengence but you can try and cut them up with your sword and watch them dance around your blade.

Though now that I think about it you never get the chance to pet Blade Wolf either...

There's a gag where the little girl gets Blade Wolf to shake, and Raiden fails at it and briefly goes Ripper Mode because of it

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a gag where the little girl gets Blade Wolf to shake, and Raiden fails at it and briefly goes Ripper Mode because of it

MGR is almost cheating because basically every part of it is a favorite thing. The whole game is just insanely good

Really the only negative thing I can even think of is the weirdness with having to buy essential moves like dodge

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

Elvis_Maximus posted:

MGR is almost cheating because basically every part of it is a favorite thing. The whole game is just insanely good

Really the only negative thing I can even think of is the weirdness with having to buy essential moves like dodge

It has the problem a lot of good games have, where the bosses are so much cooler than the the hero.

SENATOR is amazing when he's explaining his secret plot to make the world full of rad robot cyborg fights, they really needed to give him some more time to chew scenery.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The worst thing about Rising is that it's so short, another few hours and one or two more absurdly great bosses would've been very welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Revengeance was my first Metal Gear game and I feel that was a correct one to start with.

Also in Valhalla you can play a prank on your friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkHX6XD7B2I