Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This is supposed to be...pro journalist? If you wanted to point out how utterly useless the news media is and you made this video you'd get called out for making them look like a loving cartoon. This guy comes on, drops all these terrifying facts, and all the interview can do is blither and ask for meaningless analogies.

Yeah that’s actually a pretty good scene but it doesn’t fit with Sorkins MO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

pentyne posted:

The Donna/Josh stuff was gross as gently caress because he was constantly treating her like poo poo, yelling at her, or just mocking her in general yet they felt the need to write that up as a budding romance.

I was never a fan of it turning into a romance (primarily because it was predictable) but the relationship was mutually antagonistic. I think this comes from being in the 90s / early 2000s where it seemed like a lot of humor was sarcastic and a little bit mean, but also frequently Donna was getting one over on Josh and the idea was that even though she was his assistant she was just as smart as him.

jkk posted:

It was a gross dynamic but I'm mostly okay with how it was handled in the end, ie. she left the West Wing and did her own thing for a while before they actually got together. But of course that was after Sorkin left the show.

Meanwhile, the Bradley Whidford character's romance plotline on Studio 60 was super weird: I remember him having a mostly antagonistic relationship with the female executive character, until one late season ep where she suddenly decides she's into him? Wtf was that?

I wasn't a fan of a lot of that plot but I also don't remember it being that antagonistic? It's been a while and I only ever watched Studio 60 once. The whole "she's pregnant and the baby needs a father so Danny proposes to her" thing was just ugh.

jkk posted:

Oh man, there's so much poorly aged stuff in in the West Wing. There's a season 1 episode where the President is cooking chili for his staff, and it ends with him and Leo going "look at all these female characters on our show! Aren't they great? They're just as good as the men! Even Mandy!"

And every male character in the West Wing has a super devoted female secretary that they're constantly yelling at.

While that segment was condescending towards most of the women, the Mandy section was probably the least bad part. It was literally about how Mandy refuses to take poo poo in a world with very little female representation. And Josh is the only person that yells at his secretary. Honestly, out of all of them, Donna and Mrs. Landingham are the only 2 that get a full on characterization, although Margaret does make frequent appearances for humorous interactions with Leo. While Toby, Sam, and CJ's secretaries exist, they're usually not there longer than a couple lines at any given time.

Yes, I will defend The West Wing till my dying breath.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
How well does Sports Night hold up? I remember really liking the show but i'm kind of scared to to back and re-watch.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Desert Bus posted:

How well does Sports Night hold up? I remember really liking the show but i'm kind of scared to to back and re-watch.

It being one of his earlier shows means Sorkin is way less up his own rear end about stuff and it's way less political because of the premise. It is a sitcom but Sorkin wanted something less sitcommy than was on the air at the time. Which means they were forced to put a laugh track on the show for the first part of the series, so that definitely doesn't hold up.

It's been a while, but I don't recall any specifically bad parts of the show.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

hawowanlawow posted:

not true, the plow safely pushes them out of the way

They're screaming! It's a surprisingly dark sequence.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Desert Bus posted:

poo poo, I forgot all about that show until you mentioned it.
Granted, all I can remember about it now is the one episode where they landed an interview with Michael Jordan, but ended up rejecting it because they found out his people were just going to use it as a cheap commercial for his new cologne line and not give an actual interview

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I know there's an episode or two about sexual assault and that seems like a bad mix with typical Sorkin.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I know its very in vouge to hate on the West Wing right now and yah the honorable people on both sides thing seems quaint for where we are now but I think the show works for a few reasons

1) The acting/actors are great.
2) Sorkin does point to a lot of flaws of the characters and most importantly Bartlett. One of the best lines is Bartlett's therapist saying Lincoln would do anything to save the union, Bartlett would sacrifice his core to get the electoral votes in Michigan. Tobey is loyal to a fault, Josh is too aggressive and Rahm Emmanuel, ect.
3) It's supposed to be an idealized version of the United States and a bit of a warning about the Bush Administration's dumbing down of political discourse.

Yah, looking back on it now its seems quaint/naive but it wasn't made in today's climate.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It was naive at the time of release it just that it was made for an audience of mostly affluent people who didn’t really pay attention to that stuff.

It’s a lot like Rent if you think about it

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As much as I hate to agree with anyone with a Ben Shapiro avatar, that's right on the money. West Wing was made by and for liberal audiences who crave reaffirmation of their privilege.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hey I didn’t buy it, I’ve never bought an avatar

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

West wing had good aspects, but the part that resonates is that the Bartlett administration basically fails to make life better for people, and is succeeded by another Democratic administration that decides Bartlett didn't compromise enough and makes a Republican Secretary of State.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah all the stuff about the West Wing that really hits hard is the stuff that was likely an afterthought, because it was created with more accidental honesty.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Maxwell Lord posted:

Apparently cult obligations were the reason that character was killed off.

She wasn't even the only cult member from BSG. Grace Park was there too and only left right at the end when the charges were filed against the leader. She has definitely seen some poo poo and is also trying to bury that news.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Garrand posted:

I wasn't a fan of a lot of that plot but I also don't remember it being that antagonistic? It's been a while and I only ever watched Studio 60 once. The whole "she's pregnant and the baby needs a father so Danny proposes to her" thing was just ugh.

I also watched it only once, so I may be misremembering. I just remember it being weird and gross.

quote:

While that segment was condescending towards most of the women, the Mandy section was probably the least bad part. It was literally about how Mandy refuses to take poo poo in a world with very little female representation. And Josh is the only person that yells at his secretary. Honestly, out of all of them, Donna and Mrs. Landingham are the only 2 that get a full on characterization, although Margaret does make frequent appearances for humorous interactions with Leo. While Toby, Sam, and CJ's secretaries exist, they're usually not there longer than a couple lines at any given time.

Yes, I will defend The West Wing till my dying breath.

I mean...there are a ton of scenes where Leo yells MARGARET!!!! and/or expresses annoyance at her. Toby and Sam also yell for their secretaries and Bartlet yells for Mrs Landingham although obviously that relationship has more depth than the Toby/Sam/Leo ones. Josh is just the worst case.

I love the show too and might do another rewatch soon, but this poo poo annoys me.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

sweet geek swag posted:

West wing had good aspects, but the part that resonates is that the Bartlett administration basically fails to make life better for people, and is succeeded by another Democratic administration that decides Bartlett didn't compromise enough and makes a Republican Secretary of State.

For all the flak Sorkin gets with about the West Wing 'both sidesing' and poo poo, most of the 'good republicans' stuff came after he left after season 4. The big premise of the 1st season is that Bartlett promised a lot but then ran to the center during his tenure and basically how he completely failed to be progressive. Sure, the literal line "I wanted a Democrat, but instead I got you" has a different meaning now but back then it was literally saying Bartlett was a coward who ran away from the left.

e:Bartlett is literally Obama before Obama but Obama never had that revelation.

Garrand has a new favorite as of 17:15 on Nov 22, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Flying Zamboni posted:

Sorkin holds all American institutions up as sacred, which is why he can't be insightful about them. By comparisons, The Social Network holds up much better because he clearly doesn't think Facebook as an institution is on the same level as the stuff he usually writes about so he allowed himself to write Zuckerberg as a deeply flawed, bad person instead of one of his usual ubermensch protagonists. David Fincher being at the helm behind the camera didn't hurt either.

I recently listened to an episode of the I Don’t Speak German podcast about the way The Social Network portrays Zuckerberg as a hapless nerd who just wanted human connection...when it’s become clear he’s some who actually wants to become the next incarnation of Caesar. It’s eye opening. Let’s maybe not praise Sorkin for making one of history’s greatest monsters look like a misunderstood John Hughes protagonist.

https://idontspeakgerman.libsyn.com/72-the-social-network

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I kind of remember Sports Night being decent, but I haven't watched it since it was on the air.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Having just rewatched Sports Night, I can say that it holds up the best out of everything Sorkin's done.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

She wasn't even the only cult member from BSG. Grace Park was there too and only left right at the end when the charges were filed against the leader. She has definitely seen some poo poo and is also trying to bury that news.

I'm about halfway through re-watching BSG right now, and this bums me out. Athena was always my favorite character (and Boomer my least favorite, so Park had range).

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I recently listened to an episode of the I Don’t Speak German podcast about the way The Social Network portrays Zuckerberg as a hapless nerd who just wanted human connection...when it’s become clear he’s some who actually wants to become the next incarnation of Caesar. It’s eye opening. Let’s maybe not praise Sorkin for making one of history’s greatest monsters look like a misunderstood John Hughes protagonist.

The character was written terribly, but Jesse Eisenberg plays it as a straight sociopath. He doesn't mimic any of Zuckerberg's grandstanding, but keeps a completely flat affect. To me at least, it reads less "awkward nerd" and more "serial killer with torsos in his freezer." I've read different things about why he chose to go that route, but I think it works well. (doesn't hurt that Fincher loves making fun of antiheros)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Everyone talking about Sorkin and failing to mention his magnum opus 1995s The American President starring Michael Douglas and Annette Bening.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Lmfao

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

oldpainless posted:

Everyone talking about Sorkin and failing to mention his magnum opus 1995s The American President starring Michael Douglas and Annette Bening.

Annette Bening has aged remarkably well, thanks.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

hyperhazard posted:

The character was written terribly, but Jesse Eisenberg plays it as a straight sociopath. He doesn't mimic any of Zuckerberg's grandstanding, but keeps a completely flat affect. To me at least, it reads less "awkward nerd" and more "serial killer with torsos in his freezer." I've read different things about why he chose to go that route, but I think it works well. (doesn't hurt that Fincher loves making fun of antiheros)
Yeah the more I look back on The Social Network the more it's clear that Sorkin's script-- while good from a structural perspective with some good lines-- is by far the weakest link in the movie, and it happens to be a case where the actors/directors/production all rose to make the absolute best possible version of the material they had. Eisenberg plays the part perfectly, avoiding an ASD "lol Data from Star Trek" caricature like Zuckerberg often gets, instead honing in on Zuckerberg's extremely bougie sense of entitlement.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

Every time I try to remember what 'The American President' was about, Douglas and Bening get replaced in my head by Kevin Kline and Sigourney Weaver from 'Dave'. An improvement, honestly.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Nov 22, 2020

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The weird thing about Studio 60 was that at the time The Daily Show was way more politically relevant and funnier than SNL. Like I would argue there was an entire generation where TDS was the main source of political news.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Yeah the movie definitely could have been much more critical, though I didn't leave the theater feeling sympathy for Zuckerberg I didn't exactly have a high opinion of him going into it either.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Flying Zamboni posted:

Yeah the movie definitely could have been much more critical, though I didn't leave the theater feeling sympathy for Zuckerberg I didn't exactly have a high opinion of him going into it either.

Also, the movie basically calls him an rear end in a top hat and a thief.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Social Network was fine on calling Zuck a jackass. It just couldn't predict he'd be a threat to democracy.

poo poo, I just remembered Zuckerberg has political ambitions too doesn't he? Thank the heavens he's got all the charm of white dog poo poo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

The weird thing about Studio 60 was that at the time The Daily Show was way more politically relevant and funnier than SNL. Like I would argue there was an entire generation where TDS was the main source of political news.
I remember even at the time Sorkin got blasted for being that out of touch with the Zeitgeist.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Krispy Wafer posted:

Every time I try to remember what 'The American President' was about, Douglas and Bening get replaced in my head by Kevin Kline and Sigourney Weaver from 'Dave'. An improvement, honestly.

I keep replacing it with Bulworth, probably because Bening is married to Warren Beatty.

I don't remember anything about that movie, except that I liked Ghetto Superstar when it came out, and in the middle of it, one of my relatives called to say my cousin had committed suicide. I'm betting it's bad?

//EDIT: Oh.

quote:

Beatty first pitched the film in 1992 under the basic pitch of a depressed man putting a hit on himself for the life insurance before falling in love. 20th Century Fox executive Joe Roth approved of the pitch and a budget of $30 million before Beatty got to work on the point of view in politics that would take center stage for the film, with Beatty taking input from writers such as Jeremy Pikser, James Toback and Aaron Sorkin (who reportedly did a re-write on the script).

Dirt Road Junglist has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Nov 22, 2020

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

the_steve posted:

Was watching National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, and I think something that hasn't aged well is the scene where the boss actually feels bad about taking away the bonuses.

I mean, if they modernized that scene today, the boss would have wanted the SWAT team to gun Clark down, and there'd be entire op-ed pieces about how he was just an entitled millennial who should have just been happy to be allowed to have a job at all.

I had a similar reaction when watching Prophecy, the mutant bear movie, and the rear end in a top hat buisnessman who dumped the chemicals in the first place has a change of heart when he sees what his actions have done and tries to help. There's no way a businessman like him wouldn't refuse to accept responsibility to the moment the bear gets him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A weird thing about Studio 60 was that Mark McKinney was supposed to help behind the scenes with some of the in universe sketches since he had experience on shows like Kids in the Hall and SNL. Either Sorkin didn't listen to him or the other Kids were the talented ones.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

sweet geek swag posted:

The Republican was supposed to win to restore balance to the universe.

Then, in real life, a freshman senator from Illinois was making waves, so the season was rewritten to let the Democrat win. The nuclear meltdown episode was a hamfisted way to change the trajectory of the race.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Was there ever anything in SNLs history that gave credence to the idea that it and the shows like it that formed the basis for Studio 60 were important institutions that spoke truth to power or whatever?

The extent of their satire was stuff like Clinton being horny, HW Bush being a fuddy-duddy, and Gerald Ford falling down a lot. I feel like it took years into the Obama presidency for the comedy scientists to discover “Uhh, let me be clear.”

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Dr Christmas posted:

Was there ever anything in SNLs history that gave credence to the idea that it and the shows like it that formed the basis for Studio 60 were important institutions that spoke truth to power or whatever?

no, but you can be sure that they're patting themselves on the back right now for all the help they did over 4 years of orange man funny voice jokes

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

I don't think Sorkin has ever seen comedy that wasn't incidentally on in the background of "one of the proles' offices." It's extra schadenfreude-y because if he had gotten his head out of his rear end and listened to anyone under 30 he would have realized that-- for better and for worse-- The Daily Show/Colbert Report and South Park were way closer to Studio 60's pretensions in the mid-00s, and even those proved remarkably toothless when it really came time to bite down.

muscles like this! posted:

A weird thing about Studio 60 was that Mark McKinney was supposed to help behind the scenes with some of the in universe sketches since he had experience on shows like Kids in the Hall and SNL. Either Sorkin didn't listen to him or the other Kids were the talented ones.
I would bet my next paycheck that Sorkin shouted down anything the dude had to say, said dude recognized the turkey Sorkin was baking, and sat back to enjoy the checks until the cancellation notice came.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

The extent of their satire was stuff like Clinton being horny, HW Bush being a fuddy-duddy, and Gerald Ford falling down a lot. I feel like it took years into the Obama presidency for the comedy scientists to discover “Uhh, let me be clear.”

SNL creates the spirit of transgression by having a live format with extreme topicality, so you have poo poo like an episode that airs the same day that trump loses, so there’s this electricity in the air because anything could happen. But of course nothing ever does because SNL knows how to obey and has perfected a formula where it seems like the show makes claims but actually just caricatures politicians like they’re movie stars.

Tina Fey did an interview a long time ago about how Harvard Lampoon writers perfect the art of inoffensive comedy in the hope of being recruited by SNL, which basically boils down to using the form of a joke but without content.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Platystemon posted:

The Republican was supposed to win to restore balance to the universe.

Then, in real life, a freshman senator from Illinois was making waves, so the season was rewritten to let the Democrat win. The nuclear meltdown episode was a hamfisted way to change the trajectory of the race.

Wasn't John Spencer dying the real impetus to make the end of the West Wing be less depressing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mooseontheloose posted:

Wasn't John Spencer dying the real impetus to make the end of the West Wing be less depressing?

Hmm you’re right.

I don’t know where I heard other explanation, but given the production schedule, it doesn’t really work. Obama declared candidacy almost a year later.

Here’s how the grey lady described the ending.

quote:

'West Wing' Writers' Novel Way of Picking the President
By Jacques Steinberg
April 10, 2006

Like many political campaigns, the presidential election depicted last night on "The West Wing" on NBC would have had a different ending had it been held four months ago.

But the reversal of fortune for Matt Santos -- the Democratic nominee, played by Jimmy Smits, who was the victor -- had nothing to do with any shift in opinion among voters.

Instead, Lawrence O'Donnell, an executive producer of the show, said he and his fellow writers had declared Santos the winner only after the death, in mid-December, of John Spencer, who portrayed Santos's running mate, Leo McGarry. At the time of Mr. Spencer's death, the plot for last night's episode had been set: the election was to be won by Alan Alda's Arnold Vinick, a maverick Republican (modeled a bit on Senator John McCain), whom many Democrats (including the Democrats who write the show) could learn to love.

But after Mr. Spencer died, Mr. O'Donnell said in a recent interview, he and his colleagues began to confront a creative dilemma: would viewers be saddened to see Mr. Smits's character lose both his running mate and the election? The writers decided that such an outcome would prove too lopsided, in terms of taxing viewers' emotions, so a script with the new, bittersweet ending -- including the election-night death of Mr. Spencer's character -- was undertaken by John Wells, executive producer of "The West Wing" and "E.R."
The loss of Mr. Spencer, who had been on "The West Wing" since its inception seven years ago, imposed a layer of grief on the sadness and nostalgia the cast would feel in the weeks leading to the final day of production. NBC announced in January that primarily because of falling ratings, it was not renewing the series for next season.

The final episode of "The West Wing" is not be broadcast until May 14, but the show effectively ended for Martin Sheen, who plays President Bartlet, and for his fellow cast members on March 31, when they filmed their last scene together. Appropriately, it shows the president striding around the White House for final goodbyes to the applause of his staff members, in a scene filmed on the Warner Brothers lot in Burbank, Calif.

An impromptu cast party followed shortly thereafter in and around the trailer of Allison Janney, who plays Bartlet's chief of staff, C. J. Cregg, said Bradley Whitford, who portrays Josh Lyman, most recently manager of the Santos campaign.

"This show is probably the first line in my obituary," Mr. Whitford said. "Everyone knows they got lucky with this one."

For a series that sought to provide a backstage glimpse of White House politics, however stylized and idealized, it seems appropriate to assess its legacy, political and otherwise, as its conclusion nears.
On that score, Mr. Sheen was offered an opportunity to see how his character's appeal would play in a real-life campaign. Not long ago, he said, he was approached by Democratic Party representatives from his native state, Ohio, to see if he would be interested in running for the United States Senate after he left the show. Though he would have had little trouble drafting a campaign platform -- he is a fierce opponent of nuclear power and the war in Iraq, and a champion of human rights -- he turned them down.

"I'm just not qualified," he said. "You're mistaking celebrity for credibility."

Nonetheless, Mr. O'Donnell, a onetime adviser to Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan of New York, said he was especially proud of the show's response to the increasingly shrill political debate in the real world, particularly on cable news. As it became tougher to learn much of any substance from programs like "Crossfire" on CNN, now defunct, "The West Wing" seemed to delve deeper into real issues like health care and education, as exemplified by the raw, one-hour live debate last fall between Matt Santos and Arnold Vinick.

THE MORNING: Make sense of the day’s news and ideas. David Leonhardt and Times journalists guide you through what’s happening — and why it matters.
"Political talk on TV has degenerated so much," said Mr. O'Donnell, who is also a political analyst on MSNBC. "You can say something complex on 'The West Wing' and you will not suffer a screaming interruption by three other panelists."

It may not come as any surprise to viewers, given that President Bartlet was a Democrat, but there were no registered Republicans in the most recent incarnation of the "West Wing" writers' room, which included Eli Attie, a former speechwriter for Al Gore. Though the show began at the end of the Clinton administration, it soon found its creative niche by evoking a parallel reality, one that imagined how the White House might have been different if George W. Bush had not been elected to two terms.

As the war in Iraq escalated, Mr. Sheen said he came to liken the show's role to that of good, escapist fiction.

"In order to sometimes get a different perspective on what's going down in the world, to reach back to your humanity, you read novels," Mr. Sheen said. "We're like the reading of a novel."
Which is not to say that President Bartlet escaped making some of the hard decisions that President Bush faced in real life. This year, Bartlet was shown agonizing over whether to commit 10,000 American troops to an escalating, fictional conflict on the border shared by Russia, Kazakhstan and China.

In deciding to put flesh on a Republican like Mr. Alda's Arnold Vinick and committing, at least initially, to having him win, Mr. O'Donnell said he and the other writers had delighted in playing against type. And then Mr. Spencer died.

Other than a coming episode that will linger at the funeral for Mr. Spencer's character -- and include, as mourners, a parade of former cast members, including Rob Lowe -- the show's final episodes will be devoted to the transition from the Bartlet administration to that of President-elect Santos.

The actors and producers are embarking on a similar transition.

Mr. Whitford has signed on to star in "Studio 60," a one-hour drama expected to be on the NBC schedule next fall, about life backstage at a live variety show. It was created by Aaron Sorkin, who created "The West Wing."

Mr. O'Donnell has deliberately put off finding his next project, to savor the last days of editing "The West Wing," though he can currently be seen in a rare acting role, as a lawyer for the polygamist main character on the HBO drama "Big Love."

And Mr. Sheen?

At 65, he has decided to make good on a promise he made to himself long ago: to enroll, for the first time, in college. A graduate, though just barely, of Chaminade High School in Dayton, Ohio, nearly five decades ago, he will began taking classes next fall -- in English literature, philosophy and, he hopes, oceanography -- at National University of Ireland in Galway, in the country where his mother was born.
In describing how much he relished retreating to an ivory tower, Mr. Sheen sounded a lot like a former president after two terms in office, even if he was a former president whose biggest challenge was commuting to a fictional White House.

"I'd be up at 4 in the morning, and out of the house by 5 to get on the freeway, all so we could start at 7 o'clock," he said. "That's a lot of wear and tear on your body."