Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

RickRogers posted:

Hi scary thread that I, a normal earth maaaan, would normally shy away from.

Advice! Please?

Tea:
What tea is good for my wife? I wish to gift her tea. Other consumable suggestions would also be acceptable.

Background: We have 10 month old child! Rejoice!

She hasn't yet re-started with her monthly(ish) cycles of reproductive uterus-lining expulsion, but I know from the last birthing process that the first cycles were a real "loving awful pain and I hate it" time for her.

Predicament:
The weening time has come, the offspring must be repulsed from the mammarian pillows of sustinance. The sloughing shall soon recommence.

She hates ginger. Thank you in advance!

I don't know which herbs are safe if she wants to drink tea while still breastfeeding, but I use chamomile, motherwort, and skullcap to help with PMS and cramps. I prefer smoking them in a PAX, but they all taste lovely together with a little honey when made into tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Thankyou for the ideas, menstruation megathread is marvelous

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
So I think I have my period again and I just finished my last one eight days ago.

I thought I just had spotting from mega sex yesterday but now I’m crying for no discernible reason on the regular.

When my doctor put in my implanon this time she told me to expect the unexpected with bleeding despite having had implanon almost continuously from 19 to 29. She wasn’t wrong.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

femcastra posted:

So I think I have my period again and I just finished my last one eight days ago.

I thought I just had spotting from mega sex yesterday but now I’m crying for no discernible reason on the regular.

When my doctor put in my implanon this time she told me to expect the unexpected with bleeding despite having had implanon almost continuously from 19 to 29. She wasn’t wrong.

:hfive:

What's up double period buddy. I couldn't figure out why right after one period ended, I still felt like a beached whale...

Sigh, 2 boxes of tampons down this month.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
If you haven't looked into it, I highly recommend menstrual cups. Say no to spending money on tampons month after month and yes to recreating the elevator scene from the shining when you empty your cup.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I got a cup in 2011 after reading the menstrual cup megathread in A/T and it has been The Best Thing.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

coronatae posted:

I got a cup in 2011 after reading the menstrual cup megathread in A/T and it has been The Best Thing.

Same, right down to the year. Here is the thread although it's been dead the past four years.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I've used a cup since 2009 or 2010 and I truly feel I have hacked my vagina.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I also started using a menstrual cup in 2011 when I separated from my now ex-husband and was couch surfing for a couple of months. I was sometimes staying with gay men squicked out by periods or straight dudes and post-menopausal women who didn't have a bathroom garbage can with a lid so I didn't want to be tossing used tampons wherever I was staying, so I bought a DivaCup and never looked back. I have 2 partners and therefore 2 residences and keep a cup at each place, so I'm never caught without. Best blood catcher ever.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Every period is a moment of triumph that I will continue to not bring life into this loving dumpster fire of a world

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
I used to use a diva cup and didn’t like it much. I don’t know if it would be different now I’ve had two kids. I’ve switched from reusable pads to modibodi period undies and don’t mind them.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Same I've been using a cup since like 2009 and it's one of the single best changes I've ever made to my life, I'm not even kidding, periods are an absolute non-issue now. No need to worry about if I have enough supplies, no need to worry about if I'm wasting supplies by starting early when I think it's about to arrive or just to make sure it's really finished, just unbelievably convenient. Had a pretty big learning curve with it when I first started trying it and for the first few months I wasn't sure it was worth it, but I figured a few months of pain and annoyance vs several decades of convenience was worth it and it absolutely has been.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly
I don't know what it is, but the idea of cups weird me out a bit. If nexplanon doesn't stop my periods, I may have to look into it though. The last week was awkward after shutting off water to my park 3 times (no open bathrooms due to this), and promptly realizing I needed to change my tampon :argh:

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've tried three different cups, the UK moon cup, a Luna cup and a diva cup. I've found the firmer moon cup suits me best (once I worked out how far to jam it up). If the cup sits too low, the rim presses against my urethra and is super irritating. The softer cups don't have that problem but I have a hard time getting them out - they suction too well. With the firmer cup I can hook my finger into the side, and release the suction at the same time as scooping the cup out. I'm betting everyone will have different techniques and body shapes and comfort preferences and it's worth trying a few different cup styles to find one that fits and works, the convenience is well worth it. There are a few different techniques for getting the cup to go in easily, I tend to push down one edge then pinch the sides which gives me a nice taper. Once the cup is in it springs open again. It feels like there is no way for the cup to overflow, it's like a cork until I pull it out. I don't know if the same is true in every situation since I haven't had kids and I don't know how much difference that makes.

The best part about cups to me is the smell. It just doesn't smell the way pads or tampons do. It barely smells at all and what smell there is smells "fresh" if that makes sense.

Edit: I feel like I didn't explain that right - it's just so positive for me not feeling revulsion or disgust at something I pulled out of my body or at something that is in my pants that I have to deal with. It becomes more like my washing hands after cooking than dealing with some shameful toxic biohazard.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Nov 22, 2020

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I will say though, one time when I used to do kickboxing, I foolishly went to class without emptying my cup first and I did a high kick and... yeah. Seal broken, full cup of blood splorged into my shorts.

At least they were black shorts.

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Nov 22, 2020

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

showbiz_liz posted:

I will say though, one time when I used to do kickboxing, I foolishly went to class without emptying my cup first and I did a high kick and... yeah. Seal broken, full cup of blood splorged into my shorts.

This would probably be my biggest concern. My job is pretty crazy in terms of activity and I have to wear not black pants...breaking the seal feels like a real possibility to me. I have straight bled around tampons.

Or I'm overthinking it.

cosmo sex tip
Sep 26, 2005
contains sodium borate, xanthan gum, sucrose stearate, glucose, glucose oxidase & lactoperoxidase, and fragrance.

Am I the only person in the world who hates plastic applicator tampons??? Especially Tampax ones?? Why are they so goddamn small??? they last like an hour at most and when I'm at work I'm at my desk for several hours at a go. I don't have the luxury of being able to go to the bathroom every hour and even if I did I cannot imagine the raw horror my bits would be by day three if I had to change them as often as I would if I used these.

Walgreens brand cardboard applicator ones are what I grew up with considering "normal" size, now it seems like every single brand-name tampon is half that size?? what is going on, have I lost my mind? Why are there five shelves at the drugstore of plastic applicators and half a shelf of cardboard ones at the bottom that are always sold out. What is HAPPENING in pussy product land who is DOING this to me i DEMAND recompense!!!!!!

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Pinus Porcus posted:

This would probably be my biggest concern. My job is pretty crazy in terms of activity and I have to wear not black pants...breaking the seal feels like a real possibility to me. I have straight bled around tampons.

Or I'm overthinking it.

That was an extreme circumstance to be fair. But if you have an active job I'd recommend wearing it along with a pad for the first while until you learn whether the cup can take it.

cosmo sex tip posted:

Am I the only person in the world who hates plastic applicator tampons???

I can't stand applicators at all. My mom always used the non-applicator OB tampons so that's what she gave me, and I didn't realize until I got to high school that lots of people don't even know how to use them.

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Bleeding for nine days. No bleeding for 3. Bleeding for nearly five more days

No bleeding in almost 30 days.

Lol.

(I'm not pregnant.)

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Pinus Porcus posted:

I don't know what it is, but the idea of cups weird me out a bit. If nexplanon doesn't stop my periods, I may have to look into it though. The last week was awkward after shutting off water to my park 3 times (no open bathrooms due to this), and promptly realizing I needed to change my tampon :argh:

Getting past the "this seems weird" barrier is probably the biggest problem for them becoming mainstream popular IMHO. It took me about a year of knowing other people who used one and asking all sorts of questions before I tried it. It does require a level of comfort with one's body and the stuff that comes out of it that is not exactly encouraged by the society most of us live in.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Stoca Zola posted:

I've tried three different cups, the UK moon cup, a Luna cup and a diva cup. I've found the firmer moon cup suits me best (once I worked out how far to jam it up). If the cup sits too low, the rim presses against my urethra and is super irritating. The softer cups don't have that problem but I have a hard time getting them out - they suction too well. With the firmer cup I can hook my finger into the side, and release the suction at the same time as scooping the cup out.

I had this problem of getting cups out as well, how to release the suction. I had to give up after a few months trying in 2013 because my solution - just yanking it off my cervix - I’m pretty sure heavily contributed to me developing vaginismus :(.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

showbiz_liz posted:

Lol that's a hell of a special move. Take that Sub-Zero!

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

cosmo sex tip posted:

Am I the only person in the world who hates plastic applicator tampons??? Especially Tampax ones?? Why are they so goddamn small??? they last like an hour at most and when I'm at work I'm at my desk for several hours at a go. I don't have the luxury of being able to go to the bathroom every hour and even if I did I cannot imagine the raw horror my bits would be by day three if I had to change them as often as I would if I used these.

Walgreens brand cardboard applicator ones are what I grew up with considering "normal" size, now it seems like every single brand-name tampon is half that size?? what is going on, have I lost my mind? Why are there five shelves at the drugstore of plastic applicators and half a shelf of cardboard ones at the bottom that are always sold out. What is HAPPENING in pussy product land who is DOING this to me i DEMAND recompense!!!!!!

Plastic applicators suck. They feel really short, and I don't think you are wrong about them being smaller. I used to just buy store brand cardboard applicators (I grew up on the cardboard Tampax though), but now store brands only do plastic apparently.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Organza Quiz posted:

Getting past the "this seems weird" barrier is probably the biggest problem for them becoming mainstream popular IMHO. It took me about a year of knowing other people who used one and asking all sorts of questions before I tried it. It does require a level of comfort with one's body and the stuff that comes out of it that is not exactly encouraged by the society most of us live in.

Yeah, I love using a cup, but I also have to be aware of where my cervix is during my cycle so I can position it right. Even being familiar with no-applicator tampons for years prior didn't really prepare me for it.

I'm truly blessed that my flow is light enough that I can go a full 10-12 hours between emptying it, but what I really like is using it when I think I'm starting. No more guessing wrong and making hurried trips to the bathroom. If I put the cup in and I'm not bleeding, no harm, no foul.

That said, even now it's awkward to place and I often end up with blood all over my hand on my heavy days. Breaking the suction on a really crampy day is misery, but it's a small price to pay.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I tried multiple times to use a cup, but I couldn't get it in there for some reason.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, especially when I had a copper iud and had to empty my large meluna every couple of hours when I was awake, I just took getting blood on my hand as the price of doing business, so to speak. Fwiw I just break the seal by getting my finger up near the rim and pushing in. I use the meluna soft so it works pretty well.

You do not want to break the seal by just pulling on the cup, especially if you have an iud. The seal is tight enough you can yank the iud out doing that. It's not common with proper use, but someone in either the cup thread I linked or the old birth control megathread did it iirc.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I wanted the cup to work for me, but it did not hold at work. Lots of bending, stretching, lifting and stacking heavy poo poo, and the drat thing leaked all over. I just went back to pads, although the diaper thing might be a better option come summer when everything is sticky and hot.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

That sounds like a problem with the seal, which is annoying to deal with but if you figure out the issue it could still work. Might be an angle thing or a not properly opening thing or a cervix getting in the way thing.

It took me probably a couple of years before I was 100% confident in making sure the thing was definitely sealed every time and never putting a pad on just in case. It really is an annoyingly high learning curve!

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
If the holes in the rim get clogged with dried blood, the seal won't be tight enough and you'll get seepage. I had to work that out for myself, I don't think it was on the box!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Organza Quiz posted:

It took me probably a couple of years before I was 100% confident in making sure the thing was definitely sealed every time and never putting a pad on just in case. It really is an annoyingly high learning curve!

:stare: :effort:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cowslips Warren posted:

I wanted the cup to work for me, but it did not hold at work. Lots of bending, stretching, lifting and stacking heavy poo poo, and the drat thing leaked all over. I just went back to pads, although the diaper thing might be a better option come summer when everything is sticky and hot.

Protip: If you want to wear them in public but don't want to risk saggy trump butt, it helps to wear a snug pair of full coverage panties over them.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

cosmo sex tip posted:

I don’t know if there’s something similar for other countries, but in the UK there’s a company called Dame which does a reusable/washable applicator. It’s really good.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I tried to use a cup once. It worked but it was really painful and after two hours I had enough. it took so long to get it out and then when I did it fell on the floor of the public bathroom I was in and it spilled blood all over the poor woman’s ankles next to me.

gently caress cups, they’re too much trouble.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm fat and I hear using cups is a lot more difficult if you're fat, and at my age it just doesn't seem worth it. I'm well into the perimenopause which is when your periods go loving insane like you were 12 again and you never know what's going to happen any more wheeee

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Bring back menstrual extraction imo

Hexaoct
May 1, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

I tried multiple times to use a cup, but I couldn't get it in there for some reason.

Same here. I use ob tampons, so I'm used to shoving stuff up there, but my vagina would just not budge for the cup :iiam:

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

HopperUK posted:

I'm fat and I hear using cups is a lot more difficult if you're fat, and at my age it just doesn't seem worth it. I'm well into the perimenopause which is when your periods go loving insane like you were 12 again and you never know what's going to happen any more wheeee

thank you for posting about this, because I actually had no idea perimenopause was a thing, and I'm about to turn 40 and my periods have started to get a little wacky. they used to be ultra regular.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Skratte posted:

thank you for posting about this, because I actually had no idea perimenopause was a thing, and I'm about to turn 40 and my periods have started to get a little wacky. they used to be ultra regular.

Mine were, too, and then perimenopause arrived and they went haywire. Arriving whenever and overstaying their welcome, and going through a box of super-plus tampons each time. I even started using incontinence pads as "every day backup" for those unpleasant surprises.

Skratte
Nov 11, 2010

oh no. a glimpse into my future I suppose. ultra bleeding hasn't happened I'm just getting kinda irregular and hot flashes and worse and worse pms. I hadn't put the clues together until just now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Oh hi perimenopause buddies! Ah, the grand irony of a reproductive system I never wanted/needed, ran like clockwork for 30ish years, and now is falling apart in my middle age. In the last year I’ve passed clots so massive I wish it were socially acceptable to share them because it’s just impressive in the way all body functions are morbidly fascinating. I really need to get to a specialist and make sure I don’t have fibroids or worse. I do know my iron is in the toilet so there’s that!