Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I laughed out loud legitimately at this

no idea if its real

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That airflow though, nice.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Looks like a scene from a Hellraiser movie

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus

Pedialyte posted:

What are the go-to benchmark programs nowadays? I'd like to see how much bigger the numbers are with my new 5600x system compared to my old 2500k antique. Is 3DMark worth the money?

3DMark is on sale for $5 here: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/3dmark?hmb_source=search_bar

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Nohearum posted:

I hope you weren't joking when you recommended this approach. Case still hasn't arrived and I got impatient.

Lmao

This is glorious. He was 100% joking but it’s also 100% fine. People do this to benchmark and do weird poo poo all the time.

Doing it because your case got delayed and you’re impatient is class A poo poo.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

I managed to get my hands on a 5600x and I'm looking to pull the trigger on the rest of the build. Any obvious mistakes here? Goal is to have a solid core that will carry me through another 6-10 years of mostly TBS gaming with incidental upgrades. No graphics card on the list since I'm holding on to an older one until getting something nice is less of a crapshoot.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $323.67)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CPU Cooler ($34.09 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($111.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $71.42)
Power Supply: EVGA G1+ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: ARCTIC F14 77.3 CFM 140 mm Fan ($10.82 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: ARCTIC F14 77.3 CFM 140 mm Fan ($10.82 @ Amazon)
Total: $1052.77
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-22 02:10 EST-0500

I know Samsung SSDs are generally overpriced now but at $250 that seems pretty competitive for 2TB.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you've not built your computer without a case I'm not sure I trust you as a human being.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Kingnothing posted:

Lmao

This is glorious. He was 100% joking but it’s also 100% fine. People do this to benchmark and do weird poo poo all the time.

I was not joking :colbert:

Its a good way to test if you got bad hardware while you wait.

Just don't spill a drink on it.

edit: really nice looking build

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

The orientation of the 20-pin USB header on this motherboard might make plugging that in awkward/scary with the Meshify C!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I wish that fat usb header would die already

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

FreeKillB posted:

Here's a rough 1660 super build with room to grow (most especially to upgrade the GPU when/if things get less crazy) at ~1,000 USD.

Thanks! That's very helpful.

bus hustler posted:

Do you have any interest in a prebuilt? This honestly looks fine for about $1550 USD

I'm not opposed, I'd be building myself to save money rather than for fun, but if there's little cost difference or if I can write it off anyway I am happy to have it prebuilt.

Butterfly Valley posted:

It isn't people not wanting to expend the necessary effort to help you, it's that your stated parameters were way too broad to make decent recommendations. $1000-$2500, 1080p or 4k, no monitor/new monitor/dual screen monitors, how do you expect people to narrow down your priorities to give you better advice if you don't help them out when they ask? You could make 50 different builds for different needs based on all you've given us until now.

I don't see what's too broad unless you misunderstood my first post, I asked for two different but narrowly defined things. I figured someone might suggest a $1000-1500 build and then either mention what changes they'd make if they had another $1000 or make a separate $2500 build. Maybe recommending one 1080p monitor and possibly also one 4k monitor if they talk about the 4k build doesn't seem too broad either. I didn't ask for any help with dual screen monitors, I just mentioned that while I have an old monitor if someone recommended a good 1080p monitor I could replace it and use my old one as a 2nd screen, or that if I went 4k I would of course need a 4k monitor within the same budget.

Then on reflection I realized I don't really need help with picking a case or RAM etc, it's just that I have no idea about the current crop of CPUS and GPUs and what's the best bang for buck at the two price points I mentioned.

vvv: Thanks!

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 22, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
OK you've got a suggested build at the lower end of your scale, for the top end I would suggest building round a 5600x (if you're just gaming) or a 5800x (or above) if your 'working with games' scales well with more cores. 32GB of RAM is more than enough for everyone at the high end, unless you have specific workloads that benefit from more RAM. The GPU should be the 3080, the 3090 is twice the price for ~10-15% improvement in 4k framerates so is a huge waste of money imo. Availabiity of both these parts is sparse at best right now, but they are worth waiting for.

There's a dedicated monitor thread that could give you recommendations for specific monitors to get, but their general advice for a 'sweet spot' of price/performance is 1440p 144hz screens rather than 4k atm.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Just a heads up for anyone buying right now, Amazon has the Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 32GB (16GBx2) CL16 BL2K16G32C16U4B (Black) RAM on sale today for $91.

If I hadn't already bought the 3600GHz kit I would buy this. Or two of them.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
Going to post this in the AMD thread as well but for B550 buyers I had no problem using a 32 GB USB 3.0 drive to flash the BIOS on a Tomahawk B550.

Formatted it fat32, added the bios as MSI.ROM, hit the button and it just worked. I think it's gotten a little less lovely and much more compatible over the years. I was hearing people talk about having to dig up 512 MB drives from years ago online.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

bus hustler posted:

Going to post this in the AMD thread as well but for B550 buyers I had no problem using a 32 GB USB 3.0 drive to flash the BIOS on a Tomahawk B550.

Formatted it fat32, added the bios as MSI.ROM, hit the button and it just worked. I think it's gotten a little less lovely and much more compatible over the years. I was hearing people talk about having to dig up 512 MB drives from years ago online.

Yeah, I think I used a 32 GB drive formatted FAT32 to flash the BIOS on my B550 Aorus Pro without any problems too.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Kingnothing posted:

Lmao

Do any of the review websites do silly mineral oil immersed builds for funsies anymore?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Nohearum posted:

I hope you weren't joking when you recommended this approach. Case still hasn't arrived and I got impatient.

:allears:
That's glorious

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I love the FUMA2 fans taking air from *gestures* and directing it to *gestures*

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
You may as well save some money and return the case.

I hope this isn't the wrong place to ask, I looked around a little and didn't see any threads for PC audio hardware but maybe I'm just a goof. My current headphones are making static and it's starting to bug the poo poo out of me, anyone have recommendations for wireless headphones with mic in the $100-250 range?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I hope this isn't the wrong place to ask, I looked around a little and didn't see any threads for PC audio hardware but maybe I'm just a goof. My current headphones are making static and it's starting to bug the poo poo out of me, anyone have recommendations for wireless headphones with mic in the $100-250 range?

At €100 I got the steelseries arctis 1 wireless and they've been great for my needs. I use them for gaming and working from home as a teacher, the microphone is excellent quality and the audio is very good and they're comfortable enough for me to wear for hours at a time. They also don't look obnoxiously gamer which is a big plus for me, and the microphone can be removed when you don't need it.

The next step up is the arctis 7 which has 7.1 surround sound instead of just stereo so if you're a competitive fps player these would be a good option. They're $150ish usually.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I'm trying to put together a desktop/office PC for my dad. Currently he has a pre-built desktops and a laptop of less-than-great quality, so I figured I would put together something a bit beefier.

Uses: Microsoft Office, Web browsing, light scientific computing. He is writing a book in Lyx (Don't actually know if Lyx is intensive in any way, but he is running a lot of diagrams and compiling fairly big LaTeX documents). He is also doing some picture and video editing, and is currently scanning old films.

I have a feeling this might be a bit overkill, but I also don't really know where I could cut back. Is it for example enough with an i3 and 8GB of RAM, or is the savings negligible.

This is around the budget of what he had been looking for in a new pre-built system, so I'm not really restrained by budget. He is also wants something that is quiet and not constantly spinning up and down, as is the case with the his existing pre-builts, so I'll throw in some Corsair case fans I have lying around.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-10400 2.9 GHz 6-Core Processor (£154.97 @ CCL Computers)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler (£64.98 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B460M-A PRO Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard (£61.62 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£65.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£86.80 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GT 1030 2 GB Video Card (£62.64 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£86.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12III 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£58.80 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £642.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-22 16:40 GMT+0000

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I've had two Arctis 7s and I've been pretty satisfied with them except that they've both cracked in the same stress riser location on one side of the little fabric tensioner, and now this one is developing audio issues too which is why I'm shopping around. I'll probably stick with the Arctis though and just absolutely baby it this time

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Boxman posted:

Do any of the review websites do silly mineral oil immersed builds for funsies anymore?

They exist, but now they use special 3M fluid that emits fumes that can kill you!

https://www.pcgamer.com/this-is-what-extreme-liquid-cooling-looks-like/

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Everything I have tried from Logitech and Corsair has been fine. I think its hard to go too wrong.

Best buy has both our headphones on sale.

Im using "CORSAIR - VIRTUOSO RGB Wireless Stereo Gaming Headset - White"
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsai...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Wife is using these "CORSAIR - VOID RGB ELITE Wireless Stereo Gaming Headset - White"
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-void-rgb-elite-wireless-stereo-gaming-headset-white/6360426.p?skuId=6360426

She was supposed to get the nicer ones as an upgrade when she went wireless but she took my void pro instead.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
Are there specific B550 motherboards that will NOT support 5000-series Ryzen CPUs?

I'm looking at what MSI has to offer and only a few specifically say they support Gen 3 Ryzen processors.

While I probably can't afford a 5900 right now, I'd at least like the option of upgrading in a year or two.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

SopWATh posted:

Are there specific B550 motherboards that will NOT support 5000-series Ryzen CPUs?

No

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

refleks posted:

I'm trying to put together a desktop/office PC for my dad. Currently he has a pre-built desktops and a laptop of less-than-great quality, so I figured I would put together something a bit beefier.

Uses: Microsoft Office, Web browsing, light scientific computing. He is writing a book in Lyx (Don't actually know if Lyx is intensive in any way, but he is running a lot of diagrams and compiling fairly big LaTeX documents). He is also doing some picture and video editing, and is currently scanning old films.

I have a feeling this might be a bit overkill, but I also don't really know where I could cut back. Is it for example enough with an i3 and 8GB of RAM, or is the savings negligible.

This is around the budget of what he had been looking for in a new pre-built system, so I'm not really restrained by budget. He is also wants something that is quiet and not constantly spinning up and down, as is the case with the his existing pre-builts, so I'll throw in some Corsair case fans I have lying around.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black 55 CFM CPU Cooler (£64.98 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: MSI B460M-A PRO Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard (£61.62 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£65.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£86.80 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GT 1030 2 GB Video Card (£62.64 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£86.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12III 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£58.80 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £642.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-22 16:40 GMT+0000

This looks pretty good.

The fractal fans are actually almost dead silent even at full speed so those might be ok as long as they have enough cooling for his use (they probably do).

An AMD chip might be a little cheaper (or better performance at the same price), but I’m not familiar with those apps and they may perform better on windows.

If you’re looking at shaving a couple bucks, you could probably drop the m.2 for a 2.5” ssd. I doubt there’d much difference there.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Kingnothing posted:

This looks pretty good.

The fractal fans are actually almost dead silent even at full speed so those might be ok as long as they have enough cooling for his use (they probably do).

An AMD chip might be a little cheaper (or better performance at the same price), but I’m not familiar with those apps and they may perform better on windows.

If you’re looking at shaving a couple bucks, you could probably drop the m.2 for a 2.5” ssd. I doubt there’d much difference there.

Thanks. I've already built my own PC in the regular Meshify C, so I have the fans it was shipped with as well.

I don't know about AMD/Intel either, but I'd rather just stick with what I know (and he does). I was looking at just getting a 2.5" SSD, but given the prices I was looking at were a bit weird. Like the M.2 were cheaper than 2.5".

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

refleks posted:

Thanks. I've already built my own PC in the regular Meshify C, so I have the fans it was shipped with as well.

I don't know about AMD/Intel either, but I'd rather just stick with what I know (and he does). I was looking at just getting a 2.5" SSD, but given the prices I was looking at were a bit weird. Like the M.2 were cheaper than 2.5".

Do they need a separate graphics card for what they're doing at all? If not you'd come out ahead just using the integrated graphics on the 10400.

Intel stock coolers are pretty bad, but I wouldn't spring for a Noctua for something like that. Like an Arctic Freezer 34 CO would be plenty and cost less.

It's hard to beat the SN550 for value, even with a SATA SSD or a technically inferior QLC memory model.

For a PSU I would move down to 500-550 and get an 80+ gold with a longer warranty. 650 is massive overkill for a 65W process with integrated graphics or a low end card.

Do they really want an airflow case with a window?

So maybe something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CO CPU Cooler (£24.95 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£69.19 @ More Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic CORE GM 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£65.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £528.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-22 17:21 GMT+0000

BeastRAGE
Nov 4, 2012
Ok, made a couple of adjustments. Changed the fan from the regular be quiet to the pro version. Want to check to make sure this looks good before buying it. Be quiet says that the pro shouldnt present any issue in regards to blocking ram slots. Already have the CPU/GPU/PSU. Will also be attempting to undervolt the Holo. On the Zotac reddit it says that zotacs are the worst cards heating wise it seems.

Actually I want 3 more 120mm fans. What are some good rbg fans?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor ($539.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Adorama)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate IronWolf NAS 10 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($269.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB GAMING AMP Holo Video Card
Case: Corsair Crystal 570X RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($156.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1756.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-22 12:26 EST-0500

BeastRAGE fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 22, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Do they need a separate graphics card for what they're doing at all? If not you'd come out ahead just using the integrated graphics on the 10400.

If they're video editing then wouldn't they need a discrete GPU?

Also from the stated needs (running a bunch of different productivity software and editing), isn't this exactly the situation a Ryzen 3600 should be recommended?

Kingnothing posted:

Am I misreading or do you think the choice of CPU has some bearing on what OS you can run?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

If they're video editing then wouldn't they need a discrete GPU?

Also from the stated needs (running a bunch of different productivity software and editing), isn't this exactly the situation a Ryzen 3600 should be recommended?

Am I misreading or do you think the choice of CPU has some bearing on what OS you can run?

No, my brain shorted and it was supposed to say intel.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

sean10mm posted:

Intel stock coolers are pretty bad, but I wouldn't spring for a Noctua for something like that. Like an Arctic Freezer 34 CO would be plenty and cost less.

It's hard to beat the SN550 for value, even with a SATA SSD or a technically inferior QLC memory model.

For a PSU I would move down to 500-550 and get an 80+ gold with a longer warranty. 650 is massive overkill for a 65W process with integrated graphics or a low end card.

Do they really want an airflow case with a window?

So maybe something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CO CPU Cooler (£24.95 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case (£69.19 @ More Computers)
Power Supply: SeaSonic CORE GM 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£65.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £528.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-22 17:21 GMT+0000

Thanks for the suggestions. You two points I forgot to add. I had chosen the non-F chip because I was going to build it without GPU first, and then add it if he needed. Also, wasn't really sure about PSU, so noted.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

I have an Fractal Design R4 case and I want to update to something with better airflow so I can get lower temps, as well as getting ready to grab a 3080.

Should I just grab a meshify c or are there better cases out there?

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Also the case is chosen based on "refleks, can you build a computer for me like yours, but smaller. Also, can I have lights in it like you?"

For a 65+ year old man he can be quite a child.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Fat_Cow posted:

I have an Fractal Design R4 case and I want to update to something with better airflow so I can get lower temps, as well as getting ready to grab a 3080.

Should I just grab a meshify c or are there better cases out there?

The meshify c is a good case.

There’s also the new Meshify 2 (not the S2) that is also nice.

No reason not to if you like the look and it checks your boxes.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

Samadhi posted:

Just a heads up for anyone buying right now, Amazon has the Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 32GB (16GBx2) CL16 BL2K16G32C16U4B (Black) RAM on sale today for $91.

If I hadn't already bought the 3600GHz kit I would buy this. Or two of them.

Comes up at $138 for me... did I miss it?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Boxman posted:

I remember some liquid nitrogen experimental builds from 20ish years ago... :laugh:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

Comes up at $138 for me... did I miss it?

Probably, we had a similar sale on amazon.de that went out of stock in a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

"Video editing" covers a ton of ground from very casual poo poo that will work fine on intel integrated graphics with Quick Sync, to Serious Business that you want to run on a 5950X and dedicated GPU that's like 3-4X the budget of their first crack at a build.