Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I like how the Kestrel looks here, but hate the lighting

American Kestrel by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

And when I did get some great light...

Great Horned Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
The other good shot from my owl encounter

On the wing by Aves Lux, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I came across a lovely Cooper's Hawk the other day I need to upload.

Also new olympus firmware going to add BIRD DETECTION AUTOFOCUS :toot:

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
HELL YEAH BROTHER

this is my consolation prize for the 150-400 being too expensive for me :negative:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Atlatl posted:

HELL YEAH BROTHER

this is my consolation prize for the 150-400 being too expensive for me :negative:

Seriously, holy poo poo.

Did get the 2x teleconverter though and man my 300mm f/4 can see FOREVER now

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
From a few years ago back when I was better lekkin

Sage grouse in snow 2 4mb-0470 on Flickr

Sage grouse man in mirror 4mb-0463 on Flickr

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Those are such cool birds. One of the biggest disappointments of 2020 is the trip I had booked to go hang out in a blind at a greater prairie chicken lek got canceled.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I live on the wrong side of the Atlantic but that that's a spectacle on my to-do list too.

I've recently started listening to the Wild And Exposed photography podcast and some of their early episodes cover such a trip.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Oh gently caress there's a bird thread. Gonna start posting here a lot, lol

A few weeks ago I was shooting a ruby crowned kinglet in my parents' backyard from a great distance. It was hopping all over the place and most of the pictures came out blurry, including this one:

Didn't notice that it was hunting a fly until I pulled this pic off my SD card. Man, I wish this one came out clearer!

A few came out sharp, but in less interesting poses.

I also have a lot of trouble with lighting, since so many small birds love to hang out in / under trees and bushes, which means they're in shadow while the background is brightly lit.

My current obsession is trying to get a good photo of a Belted Kingfisher. They're pretty grumpy, and since they patrol long bodies of water they'll often fly miles away as soon as you spot them. I've seen a handful and taken a few very lovely pictures, but haven't gotten a single good picture yet. Will probably head out this weekend to Randall's Island (between queens + manhattan), as there are a few that regularly patrol the stream there.

Love these dudes. You must live somewhere in the Denver area? My sister lives in Boulder and my yearly boulder trips have essentially turned into birding trips, lol

Rocky Mountain Canada Jays are a variant unique to the rocky mountains — they're a lighter, paler gray.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 20, 2020

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

I live on the wrong side of the Atlantic but that that's a spectacle on my to-do list too.

You've got Black Grouse and Capercaillie over there, which are both on my bucket list.

Polo-Rican posted:

Oh gently caress there's a bird thread. Gonna start posting here a lot, lol

I also have a lot of trouble with lighting, since so many small birds love to hang out in / under trees and bushes, which means they're in shadow while the background is brightly lit.

Welcome!

Yeah, birds in trees are a pain (especially flitty ones like Ruby-crowned Kinglets). I usually try some mix of going up a stop or two on Exposure Compensation and just trying to fix it in post. And if your bird all of a sudden hops into a sunbeam with a really dark background you have to do the reverse or it might be blown out.

quote:

My current obsession is trying to get a good photo of a Belted Kingfisher. They're pretty grumpy, and since they patrol long bodies of water they'll often fly miles away as soon as you spot them. I've seen a handful and taken a few very lovely pictures, but haven't gotten a single good picture yet. Will probably head out this weekend to Randall's Island (between queens + manhattan), as there are a few that regularly patrol the stream there.

Never really tried to target one but I'd guess you'd just need time, whether it's time figuring out their favorite perches and then waiting there, or just giving yourself a lot of chances to find one in a nice spot for a photo.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Never really tried to target one but I'd guess you'd just need time, whether it's time figuring out their favorite perches and then waiting there, or just giving yourself a lot of chances to find one in a nice spot for a photo.

Yeah you nailed it, the issue is time + positioning. Usually there's only 1 or 2 kingfishers at a given body of water, so if they're napping, you're out of luck unless you can spend hours waiting for them to wake up. And they usually have a handful of favorite perches, spread out on all sides of a body of water (so they can find fish), so there's no singular spot where you're guaranteed good views.

The next total solar eclipse is in 2024, and the path of totality goes cuts vertically across the us from Texas to Vermont — we might use that opportunity to take a Texas trip and try to find Green Kingfishers along the Rio Grande. (if you've never seen a total solar eclipse, it's basically the most incredible thing you can see, and worth taking a flight for)

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

I used a vacation day and went birding today . I was mainly looking for sea ducks, and other stuff to add to the year list, but ended up finding a short-eared owl, it was pretty distant so the pictures aren't great, and some pretty cooperative red-throated loons. Both lifers.

Short-eared Owl [Asio flammeus]

Short-eared Owl [Asio flammeus]

Red-throated Loon [Gavia stellata]

Red-throated Loon [Gavia stellata]

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

If this were in focus it would have been a fantastic shot, it looks like you at least have the timing down.

The owl by the log is good, weird grass diffraction and heat haze/rocks bokeh is very distracting though. Could gaussian blur it or something in post I guess but eh.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

So today I biked to Randall's Island with the specific goal of getting a good shot of a Belted Kingfisher.

Immediately saw a black-capped chickadee, who landed right in front of me before I finished assembling my camera: one of those "don't move you bastard" moments, as I attached my lens and set up the exposure.

Spent a long time patrolling the waters without any luck. Right as I was about to give up, I heard a kingfisher call. Unfortunately, it was coming from the other side of the water, and there's no way to reach that spot on foot. See the trees on the far side below:

With maximum zoom, this is the best I was able to get. Nothing great. Too far, flat lighting, busy background...

I was hoping it would fly to a better location, but I watched it for around 45 minutes and it didn't seem to be going anywhere. These guys are really difficult! At least it gives me an attainable goal for future outings.

As if jealous, a Song Sparrow flew right up to me as I was stalking the kingfisher:

And a merganser kept swimming back and forth in the water between myself and the kingfisher:

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 21, 2020

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Nice kingfisher. I need to get my rear end out and bird again :negative:

IDing and being able to locate the birds is a lot of the battle and it looks like you're doing well with that.

The focal plane here is caught on the branch at the right middle of the frame, where it looks pretty sharp, and the bird is a little blurry since it's sitting just outside and behind that. It's really tricky shooting into trees, using focus check tools and auto+manual focus to dial it into the eyes is usually the best bet. It takes a lot of practice to be fast with it so just try that out next time you go out.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Atlatl posted:

The focal plane here is caught on the branch at the right middle of the frame, where it looks pretty sharp, and the bird is a little blurry since it's sitting just outside and behind that.

Yeah I've been having a lot of trouble with focus - I use a 120-600 with no tripod or monopod, plus pretty strenuous 45 minute bike rides to get to and from all the good birding spots, which makes my hands shakier than they should be.

Another problem I have is a reluctance to shoot too much... I should be shooting bursts, and shooting constantly when a bird is giving sights like this. But for no reason whatsoever I snap one shot, check it out, snap one more, check it out, etc.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Well yesterday sure was better than last weekend. Found a Great Horned Owl within 20 minutes of arriving at the park, on a barren tree without a shitton of branches in the way and the sky was nice and sunny

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

neckbeard posted:

Well yesterday sure was better than last weekend. Found a Great Horned Owl within 20 minutes of arriving at the park, on a barren tree without a shitton of branches in the way and the sky was nice and sunny

Nice! He's so sleepy :3: Also love how he's blending into the tree.

Bird:

Eurasian jay

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TheFluff posted:

Nice! He's so sleepy :3: Also love how he's blending into the tree.

Bird:

Eurasian jay

What a great expression on that bird's face! They're really cool birds. They used to come it our window feeder and take peanuts when we lived in London.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

I took a walk with my wife and daughter after dropping our son off at school this morning, and later drove downtown to chase a Hoary Redpoll that's been see the last couple of days. I had to wait around for about half an hour, but ended up getting pretty close views.

Hooded Merganser

Hoary Redpoll

Hoary Redpoll

Hoary Redpoll

The bird was in a tiny meadow patch downtown:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3618051,-71.0548396,267m/data=!3m1!1e3

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

EPICAC posted:

I took a walk with my wife and daughter after dropping our son off at school this morning, and later drove downtown to chase a Hoary Redpoll that's been see the last couple of days. I had to wait around for about half an hour, but ended up getting pretty close views.

Hooded Merganser

Hoary Redpoll

Hoary Redpoll

Hoary Redpoll

The bird was in a tiny meadow patch downtown:
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3618051,-71.0548396,267m/data=!3m1!1e3

What a handsome bird, lovely autumnal colours as well.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Polo-Rican posted:

The next total solar eclipse is in 2024, and the path of totality goes cuts vertically across the us from Texas to Vermont — we might use that opportunity to take a Texas trip and try to find Green Kingfishers along the Rio Grande. (if you've never seen a total solar eclipse, it's basically the most incredible thing you can see, and worth taking a flight for)

Yeah it is quite an experience.
The most fascinating aspect is that everything gets dead silent. All the birds and insects are like "WHAT THE F" and shuts up for a few minutes.
I was in southern europe in 1999 (?) when there was a total eclipse.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Had a lovely Autumn wander myself yesterday.

Profile by B. B., on Flickr

Trio by B. B., on Flickr

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

All of these are super good but this one specifically is awesome, great shot.

torgeaux posted:

Trio by B. B., on Flickr

As a northeasterner, I want to see the magpies more than the bald eagle!!

Since I joined this thread late I'm gonna start posting some of my photos from earlier in the year. This is one of my favorites — I tend to shoot "portraits," close-ups of faces and whatnot, but would like to take more naturalistic photos like this one.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 25, 2020

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Blackbird by Aves Lux, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Coopers by B. B., on Flickr

Missed by B. B., on Flickr

Taking Off by B. B., on Flickr

Pair2 by B. B., on Flickr

Juvenile Pair by B. B., on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

torgeaux posted:

Coopers by B. B., on Flickr

Missed by B. B., on Flickr

Taking Off by B. B., on Flickr

Beauty hawk. (Assuming these are the same bird?) I'd call this a 1st year Red-tailed Hawk. I think I'm ruling out light morph Ferruginous based on the bare legs and light leg feathers, although I'll be honest that I don't have a ton of experience with Ferrug. Definitely says Buteo to me rather than Coops/Accipter though.

Cool eagle parings!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Beauty hawk. (Assuming these are the same bird?) I'd call this a 1st year Red-tailed Hawk. I think I'm ruling out light morph Ferruginous based on the bare legs and light leg feathers, although I'll be honest that I don't have a ton of experience with Ferrug. Definitely says Buteo to me rather than Coops/Accipter though.

Cool eagle parings!

Cooper's hawk is a common sighting there, but I have zero bird ID ability. I just saw a picture of a cooper's in that same park. I'll look at Beauty hawks.

Yeah, same bird. This park has been great for raptor sightings. Apparently, a couple of great horned owls, but down a trail I haven't hit...next Friday.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

Cool eagle parings!

I agree with red-tailed. The streaking isn’t uniformly distributed as it would be with a Cooper’s, the “belly band” of streaking is consistent with red-tailed, as is the narrower barring on the tail. Cooper’s tails have broader stripes and have more of a gray coloration.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Aaaaaaaa I found some short-eared owls hunting for voles today and I am so excited. Now I need to find someone to buy my kidney to fund a 600/f4 and a R5.

Here's the first shot I grabbed out of Lightroom so far.

Short-Eared Owl by charliebravo77, on Flickr

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 6, 2020

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Here's a few more from yesterday.

edit: fu imgur and your compression

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 6, 2020

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

charliebravo77 posted:

Here's a few more from yesterday.

I love this one.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

I love this one.

Yeah, the color separation on the background pushes this one.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Still no luck finding Snowy Owls in my usual spot, but found a Bald Eagle and Great Horned Owl today

Bald Eagle by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That owl is sick of your poo poo.

General Ledger
Dec 23, 2007

COYI
Here are a couple of Little Egrets, captured down in the salt marshes nearby my home.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Common Redpoll by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k
A hawk at sunset

runaway pancake fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 13, 2020

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Finally found a snowy owl this afternoon

Snowy Owl by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

Tui in the backyard while I was sitting down having a beer

tui by Marc, on Flickr