Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

packetmantis posted:

The current champion looks like some actor but I cannot for the life of me think of who it is.

Dollar store Colin Quinn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

packetmantis posted:

The current champion looks like some actor but I cannot for the life of me think of who it is.

Mark Murphy from Chopped.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
He's also a writer and most of the comedians I follow on Twitter seem to follow him, so he's apparently of some renown.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
the "L" in calm is not silent, gently caress this

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

zakharov posted:

the "L" in calm is not silent, gently caress this
Also "stalk"?!?!?! Is this one of those regional accent things?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Stalk has a mostly silent L for me. Calm does not.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Also "stalk"?!?!?! Is this one of those regional accent things?

What I found hilarious about 'calm' and 'stalk' is that the contestants pronounced the L in both of them when they answered it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The weirdest thing about the last three games this week was how Andy would come out like a house on fire in the Jeopardy round, and then he basically took a nap in Double. Absolutely boggled my mind.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

I got them both but neither calm nor stalk have silent Ls what the gently caress

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
PNW but I definitely don't pronounce the l in stalk

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

christmas boots posted:

PNW but I definitely don't pronounce the l in stalk

Same and same, but it also doesn't sound weird to me when it is pronounced.

But calm? Even my Australian husband, who doesn't pronounce half the letters in words, includes the 'l' in calm.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah there must be a rogue Bostonian writing the clues

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah I'm from the Boston area and the L is silent in those words.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
stahk for "stalk" here in NYC. Not quite the same as "stock" but closer to that than pronouncing the L. Sometimes you might enunciate but not casually.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Clearly if you're from New Yawk it's pronounced stawk

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
something something utica pronunciation

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

So is the voiced "l" in those words characteristic of a Southern accent? I don't speak with a strong one anymore but I absolutely hear the "l" in those words in my mind.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

DoctorWhat posted:

stahk for "stalk" here in NYC. Not quite the same as "stock" but closer to that than pronouncing the L. Sometimes you might enunciate but not casually.

Same. Calm has a more pronounced “l” though.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Does anyone know the record for most single day winners in a row is?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

GhostStalker posted:

Same. Calm has a more pronounced “l” though.

mmhmm.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

here we go

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1331000524938883075

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

https://twitter.com/JakeMHS/status/1331000754916700162?s=19

Ken will be interim host! Also they're postponing Alex's final week to not fall on Christmas.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Interim host? Eh its something I guess. Kind of a slap to the face tbh.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Do we know when Alex’s last episode will air? I was under the impression it’d be sometime near Christmas.

(e: I don’t want to seem ghoulish. I just want to make sure I catch that episode.)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 24, 2020

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Do we know when Alex’s last episode will air? I was under the impression it’d be sometime near Christmas.

(e: I don’t want to seem ghoulish. I just want to make sure I catch that episode.)

It was going to be Christmas day, but they pushed it to after New Year's so it didn't get preempted.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

Interim host? Eh its something I guess. Kind of a slap to the face tbh.

Makes sense to me. It gives everybody involved a chance to see how it works out without committing to anything. If it goes well he can stay on. If it doesn't, he can leave without the stain of quitting or being fired.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Khizan posted:

Makes sense to me. It gives everybody involved a chance to see how it works out without committing to anything. If it goes well he can stay on. If it doesn't, he can leave without the stain of quitting or being fired.

yea 'interim' can easily be dropped, but coming out of the gate right away with 'it's Ken, guys it's Ken, set in stone' could backfire. I like Ken a lot but hosting is a lot different than playing, it could easily wind up in a 'well, for sure we want you around to help out but this isn't gonna work' thing.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
It's "a series of interim hosts", they might give a dozen people a crack at this. I wouldn't go too nuts over this yet.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Betty White had better be the host for at least one game.

Honestly, I kind of hope they don't try out tooooooo many people. Jeopardy should be more about the game, not "what zany and fun host can we get this week?" But I am ok with them doing it for a little bit.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

HookShot posted:

Betty White had better be the host for at least one game.

Honestly, I kind of hope they don't try out tooooooo many people. Jeopardy should be more about the game, not "what zany and fun host can we get this week?" But I am ok with them doing it for a little bit.

Incoming week of Triumph The Insult Comic Dog host.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Poque posted:

Incoming week of Triumph The Insult Comic Dog host.

I'd be ok with this for April Fool's Day

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It makes sense for the interim host to be someone who's already completely familiar with how the game works. It can't be as easy as it looks -- and it looks kinda hard. You can't have someone bumbling around up there, slowing down the game, not reading clues fast enough and catching mistakes and all that. I still hope they get a different host eventually, but they'll need some time to train for it.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I am sure they'd have preferred to change hosts in the offseason with time to audition, train, and so on. This is probably the best they can do while meeting affiliate obligations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

How many episodes are left to film in this season anyway?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Filming usually wraps in the spring. With Covid, who knows

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, they usually film until July so probably filming until May. I'm sure they were training Ken by getting him to do the odd category, but obviously he didn't exactly get to do a lot of them.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
In exhibit 937 of how bizarre 2020 has been, Ken is now nominated for a Grammy while The Weeknd was shut out

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/2021-grammys-complete-nominees-list#17

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Island Nation posted:

In exhibit 937 of how bizarre 2020 has been, Ken is now nominated for a Grammy while The Weeknd was shut out

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/news/2021-grammys-complete-nominees-list#17

Considering he does the Omnibus podcast with longtime indie rocker John Roderick, it would be kind of hilarious if Ken was the Grammy winner on their show.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Porfiriato posted:

Considering he does the Omnibus podcast with longtime indie rocker John Roderick, it would be kind of hilarious if Ken was the Grammy winner on their show.

Ken could tease him by making him say Grammy nominated before a episode anyway.

As for winning? Given he's going up aganist Flea, Meryl Streep, Ronan Farrow and Rachel Maddow; It would be a colossal upset if he gets it. Not that it matters too much but for once it is a actual honor to be nominated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I’m rather unhappy that Jennings is the interim host and I hope he doesn’t stick around