Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

but piloting the divine beast was pretty boring and I hope they don't make me do it a bunch.

Oh do I have news for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If I haven't finished breath of the wild yet, should I do that before playing this game, or is there nothing in it that will be too spoilery for botw? I'm currently on the fourth divine beast of BOTW, so still a bit a ways from the ending.

Obviously the answer is "finish breath of the wild because it's good" but specifically as it relates to the new hyrule warriors is what I'm wondering

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Breath of the Wild doesn't have anything to spoil, especially if you are on the fourth divine beast as you've seen 90% of the plot, but Age of Calamity does rely on you already knowing who everyone is and what the deal with the Calamity is.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Arbite posted:

SW4 Empires is on sale, do the gimmicks outside of the core combat make it worth $25?

I tend to enjoy the Empires games more than the regular series and this was one of the better entries, if that helps. The empire system is driven by recommendations from advisors that you shuffle around, which is kind of neat. It's not super in-depth but it's different enough to be entertaining.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I don't know if it holds throughout the game but they brought back the one-hit failure from HW1, except it's only for you this time. Thankfully the only level I've done that was available so far was short, but since they labeled it as "beginner" I assume there's at least two more levels.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The demo for Age of Calamity (drat you for making an acronym that we can't use, Nintendo!) seemed fine to me but I guess there's some serious frame rate issues. I hope that's not the case for the full game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

RareAcumen posted:

The demo for Age of Calamity (drat you for making an acronym that we can't use, Nintendo!) seemed fine to me but I guess there's some serious frame rate issues. I hope that's not the case for the full game.

Apparently it's still an issue, but less of one that the demo.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's been bearable docked so far.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
From my brain when I was a kid playing Dynasty Warriors on PS2: The game slows down when cool stuff is happening.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

PureRok posted:

From my brain when I was a kid playing Dynasty Warriors on PS2: The game slows down when cool stuff is happening.

This. Always this.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

PureRok posted:

If we're talking about DW3, 100%. Blue element weapons had the ability to slow down time, so op.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

PureRok posted:

Just like EDF.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Yeah the slowdown for me is “hell yeah, I’m kicking too much rear end!”

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Tbh I think the only time frame rate had really bugged me in a musou is the PS4 port of WO3U where sometimes it engages a 30fps lock and sometimes it doesn't and it's inconsistently annoying

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The slowdown is pretty bad but honestly not unplayable, but sometimes the visual effects basically make it impossible to see. (Looking at you Impa.)

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

The slowdown in DW3 was indeed accidentally awesome, it was just so cool to be frying 30 mooks with a lightning element weapon and seeing everything in slow-motion :allears:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
How does the effects/quality of Fire Emblem Warriors on the Switch compare to Hyrule Warriors: AoC? I do plan on beating the latter, but part of me misses what I played of FE:W on the 3DS of all things, and now that I've recently acquired a switch and a TV, I might want to enjoy its full fidelity.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

If I haven't finished breath of the wild yet, should I do that before playing this game, or is there nothing in it that will be too spoilery for botw? I'm currently on the fourth divine beast of BOTW, so still a bit a ways from the ending.

Obviously the answer is "finish breath of the wild because it's good" but specifically as it relates to the new hyrule warriors is what I'm wondering

I've only just now beaten the Daruk level of AoC, but so far, nothing too spoilery. How many photo memories have you found so far? I feel like some of those get referenced slightly sometimes, along with the personalities of the researchers (but that one hasn't been something that relies on past knowledge since their personalities come up very quickly anyway). Also, if you've unlocked all divine beasts and the cutscenes with them, I think you should be good on references. The game does definitely feel better if you're at least familiar with the basics of BotW (overarching story, Sheikah Slate, the champions and divine beasts, etc.).

Not sure anything past that comes up at all, given the separate timeline nature of the game. It's maybe a bit more satisfying knowing how things went originally, I guess.

Having fun so far. Haven't noticed any performance issues docked or undocked, but my eyes aren't exactly super trained for that anyway. I feel like a drat wizard playing as Zelda. Even just button mashing feels like it throws everything at enemies, and she gets some pretty great tools to play with. Hopefully that holds up as everyone gradually becomes more powerful.

I feel like it was a bit easier to see everything going on with the art style of Hyrule Warriors 1, and I haven't yet seen how to go over a map and see what each fort is called in 2. The controls in 2 seem like they feel better to use once accustomed to everything, but getting accustomed to everything might feel a little more awkward. I do really like how they integrated the tool runes in this one, much better than how the tools worked in 1 (everyone gets a slightly different way of using the four main runes).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Since I have nothing else to do the past month or so I've been going back to DW8 DE on the Switch, finished up all the story stages and I'm doing the weapon stages now because why not. The level limit is 150? That's kind of weird. I reached it with Xiahou Dun who seems to be my go to in Warriors games, he has nowhere near max attack even with Attack Boost 20 though.

Anyway I ended up liking 8, I think the story mode as a whole is inferior to 7's though, aside from being able to choose from three or four dudes to play a stage as opposed to being limited to one person. They even give you different objectives depending on which one you pick which is a nice touch. The Hypothetical routes are also pretty neat, especially Wu's which I feel has the most interesting outcome. As a side note, I'm still disappointed that DW has completely dropped the "Wei Yan defects during the Wuzhang Plains battle" thing, I think the last one it was in was 4? At least the camp talk does mention how Zhuge Liang hates Wei Yan.

Other than that I haven't been too keen on Ambition mode, I guess a lot of people like it more than Conquest mode from 7 but personally I feel like grinding up building materials is just a time waster as opposed to Conquest where every battle was at least progress towards the end goal and not just "play it a bunch of times to upgrade your buildings." I dunno.

The music in this one doesn't really stand out either, I can't think of any tracks that stick in my mind from this one as opposed to the previous games. Overall I had a lot of fun with 8, though I don't know how much I'll do now that the new Hyrule Warriors is out. I could always get WO4, I suppose, although it just kind of feels like it's probably inferior to Wo3. The music is also a bit odd too with weird remixes of older songs? Battle of Yiling's (Avenging Battle) Wo4 remix loving rules though, but the Thousand Suns one was way too weird and different from the original I didn't care much for it.

Speaking of the new Hyrule Warriors is it just me or is it really difficult to pull off different strong attack combos? In DW8 I never have any issues with pulling off a C3 as opposed to a C4 but in Age of Calamity it seems like I'm relying on RNG whether a character will pull off a particular combo. Impa and Zelda are the absolute worst about it, it feels like I'm hitting strong attack at the same point but sometimes Zelda goes for the Cryo and sometimes she goes for the bomb, and it seems like RNG. Same with Impa who either does the giant laser eye attack or the giant dagger depending on how she feels at that moment. It could just be a result of the character movesets just being faster overall than a DW character's, that I'm actually hitting the button at slightly different points in the combo just due to how fast they attack, as opposed to DW where the regular attacks are fairly slow and deliberate so it's easier to figure out where you are in your timing.

Not to say I'm disliking Age of Calamity or course, it's great. Just feels like I have less control over my attack combos. I find myself using just regular attacks over strong attacks in general which is something I never do in DW games.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I don’t know about you but usually I just mash light into heavy on attack animation timing only in other musou games, but in AoC unless you do the exact number of button presses needed you won’t get the combo you want in my experience.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Morter posted:

How does the effects/quality of Fire Emblem Warriors on the Switch compare to Hyrule Warriors: AoC? I do plan on beating the latter, but part of me misses what I played of FE:W on the 3DS of all things, and now that I've recently acquired a switch and a TV, I might want to enjoy its full fidelity.

AoC is much denser in environmental detail and visual effects, FE:W however runs amazingly well, most consistent musou I've played.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Ok, just did Urbosa. Now I’m seeing some slowdown. The Switch does not like lightning.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

As a side note, I'm still disappointed that DW has completely dropped the "Wei Yan defects during the Wuzhang Plains battle" thing, I think the last one it was in was 4? At least the camp talk does mention how Zhuge Liang hates Wei Yan.

Admittedly, it's kind of hard to do political intrigue with a guy who's less eloquent than The Incredible Hulk. Koei needs to bite the bullet and just redesign him. It bugs me because he's one of my more favorite characters in the novel, if only because he's one of the only characters not to kiss Zhuge Liang's rear end.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Achernar posted:

Admittedly, it's kind of hard to do political intrigue with a guy who's less eloquent than The Incredible Hulk. Koei needs to bite the bullet and just redesign him. It bugs me because he's one of my more favorite characters in the novel, if only because he's one of the only characters not to kiss Zhuge Liang's rear end.

As a consolation prize, his portrayal in the 2010 TV show is excellent.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Speaking of which I started rewatching the 2010 series the other day since I can't watch any current shows. I think last time I watched I got to after Chibi. For some reason, episode 6 is nowhere to be found on Youtube (at least not with English subs). The guy who played Cao Cao remains outstanding, and I'm glad the series went for a more balanced portrayal of him than the DW series has of him (though even the DW games have started to soften him up a little bit since 7). I also really like Lu Bu, though I know a lot of people don't care for him because he looks too friendly and he's very soft spoken. They want big angry yelling Lu Bu I guess.

Achernar posted:

I think in 4 they just had him get really annoyed at Zhuge Liang's orders and just go "I'm not listening to you anymore" and then Zhuge Liang went "Okay then we'll just kill you too." I guess they have redesigned a couple of characters over time, Liu Bei is the only one that I can think of though, with them making him babyfaced. Mostly they just mess with movesets (fondly remembering Lu Meng's "generic officer" moveset he had for like four games) and weapons (still mad Pang De has a mace when his loving theme song is literally named "Twin Axes"). Oh and voice changes of course, though I know sometimes you can't get certain VAs back. With Sima Yi it was definitely a deliberate change to make him less goofy since they started adding his sons and the Jin stuff.

On a different note I just want to say Zhu Ran's weapon is awful. He just slides around and without being able to really swap direction mid attack or even have much of an attack arc it's hell to try and hit enemy officers with it, and the gimmick of normal arrows "marking" enemies is also pretty lousy. I'll just have him main DLC stuff.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Twelve by Pies posted:

I also really like Lu Bu, though I know a lot of people don't care for him because he looks too friendly and he's very soft spoken. They want big angry yelling Lu Bu I guess.

I like himbo Lu Bu too. Chen Gong deserved better though. Xu You also deserved better. Pour one out for all the long suffering advisors getting dragged out of audience halls in the first half of that show.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

All the extra attention Xu You gets in the show makes his eventual fate even funnier than it is in the book, I adore it.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Twelve by Pies posted:

Speaking of which I started rewatching the 2010 series the other day since I can't watch any current shows ... The guy who played Cao Cao remains outstanding, and I'm glad the series went for a more balanced portrayal of him than the DW series has of him (though even the DW games have started to soften him up a little bit since 7).
I'm still baffled that Dian Wei doesn't feature or even get a passing mention in the 2010 series. I get that the whole thing is effectively an abridged version of events but god drat you'd think they'd have kept something like that in there for the effect it had on Cao Cao? Speaking of which, Cao Cao's portrayal is fantastic, and easily my favourite of the lot; shown as a cunning but flawed man, a ruthless and pragmatic individual without the usual storytelling trap of being a typical moustache-twirling villain.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Zhu Ran's weapon is awful. He just slides around and without being able to really swap direction mid attack or even have much of an attack arc it's hell to try and hit enemy officers with it, and the gimmick of normal arrows "marking" enemies is also pretty lousy. I'll just have him main DLC stuff.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds Zhu Ran borderline unplayable. I gave him the Duck Hooks, got him to Lvl.50 and left it at that; his EX weapons are loving horrible and I don't really like him much as a character either, irritating twerp.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Randallteal posted:

Chen Gong deserved better though.

I dunno, I thought his death scene was one of the highlights of the series, though it is kind of funny how he goads Cao Cao into fighting the servants at Lu Boshe's house and then afterwards goes "Wow how could you do all that?"

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I'm still baffled that Dian Wei doesn't feature or even get a passing mention in the 2010 series.

Oh yeah, that stood out as weird to me too, I was looking forward to seeing how they portrayed him. I also only remember Xu Zhu in one scene, where they're celebrating and people are asking him to drink or something, he's absent outside of all that. Cao Ren seems to be a major character, and I'm kind of amused at his DW portrayal of "I AM A WALL NOBODY SHALL BREAK DOWN" and the series portrayal of him existing solely to get dunked on by giving dumb suggestions.

quote:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds Zhu Ran borderline unplayable. I gave him the Duck Hooks, got him to Lvl.50 and left it at that; his EX weapons are loving horrible and I don't really like him much as a character either, irritating twerp.

I feel like this has to exist but all I could think of after doing the XL stages starring Zhu Ran was him and Lu Xun as Beavis and Butthead going "Fire, fire! Heh heh heh."

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I also only remember Xu Zhu in one scene, where they're celebrating and people are asking him to drink or something, he's absent outside of all that.
Nah, from what I remember Xu Chu has a few scenes of his own and is a background/minor character in others. He rushes to rescue Cao Cao from Diao Chan and he has the minor arc with the execution of Xu You and his "punishment" following that.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I decided to play more Ambition mode because why not. I had seen people say to max out the Training Grounds and Academy, but both seem worthless. Even at level 41 on the Training Grounds the character I had there didn't gain even a single level after doing 14 battles in a row (and they were level 40 so it's not like they needed a ton of exp to level), and the experience increases are tiny for how much gold they charge at the academy.

I'm also missing a lot of 1-3 gold star weapons. I know they really don't matter, especially since this is the Switch version so there's no trophies (and you don't even need a full gallery to get the achievement for that anyway) but it still sucks seeing the blank spot on the axes.

It also seems like bonds don't grow with officers unless you set them as bodyguards, which requires grinding out feats to be able to set them due to the fee. That's really lame.

I still maintain that Ambition mode is poo poo compared to Conquest from 7.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

I decided to play more Ambition mode because why not. I had seen people say to max out the Training Grounds and Academy, but both seem worthless. Even at level 41 on the Training Grounds the character I had there didn't gain even a single level after doing 14 battles in a row (and they were level 40 so it's not like they needed a ton of exp to level), and the experience increases are tiny for how much gold they charge at the academy.

I'm also missing a lot of 1-3 gold star weapons. I know they really don't matter, especially since this is the Switch version so there's no trophies (and you don't even need a full gallery to get the achievement for that anyway) but it still sucks seeing the blank spot on the axes.

It also seems like bonds don't grow with officers unless you set them as bodyguards, which requires grinding out feats to be able to set them due to the fee. That's really lame.

I still maintain that Ambition mode is poo poo compared to Conquest from 7.

Ambition mode is by far the more fun mode to kick back and chill and just do poo poo in. I dunno who told you to max Training Grounds, the priority should be the Barracks and the Stables since those are major sources of gold and materials. Training Grounds is more for leveling up under/unleveled characters- someone near the character you're taking out isn't going to see much in the way of gains but someone much lower will gain several levels from a chain.

You're trying to min-max and 100% it and that's where you're suffering- if you're not having fun just plowing through some missions, coming in and checking on progress and netting a few upgrades then heading back out but actually trying to grind out specific poo poo life's gonna suck and you should just move on to something else.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Eh I wouldn't say I'm trying to minmax exactly, just thought it would be useful to get the characters I haven't touched from starting at a bit higher level, especially if I'm going to go for all the five/six star weapons. Otherwise I have to grind them up too. But it seems the Training Grounds and Academy aren't particularly useful so I'm ignoring them for now. Might as well finish building the palace, which hurts since it requires leveling the Merchant, and I hear when he reaches 50 you don't get a 1:2 trade for weapon to facility materials anymore.

But yeah seems like all there is to do is run material missions forever. I'm already maxed on fame and allies, so no real point in doing those missions (though I guess there are more officers in them for exp). I also need to do 30 battles in a row eventually for Red Hare. I might not bother with the war elephant which requires 100, though I know you just play on Beginner and run material missions and go straight for the leader every time.

I never have bothered with the Challenge stuff in any DW game so that's not a draw for me, and playing every story again a second time in Free mode just to unlock a wallpaper doesn't sound fun to me. I might do all the DLC Free mode stages though.

Finally I feel like a bad toku fan. I only just now realized yesterday that the guy who plays Lu Bu in the 2010 Three Kingdoms series was Psyga in the Kamen Rider Faiz movie.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Someone at Atlus slipped. Action RPG Musou Persona 5 Strikers is coming overseas for PC, PS4, and Nintendo Switch on February 23rd.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

First of all, hooray! It seemed like we were never going to get it, which would have been a shame since I'm really interested in it. I would say maybe Age of Calamity breaking sales records is responsible, but a February release date would be too short for that to be the case.

Second, wow, Ambition Mode gets a lot more interesting after you build the Emperor's palace. I'm still not entirely sure how subjugation percentages work, or how to tell when you've recruited every playable officer in an area, but I'm way into it now that it isn't just choosing from the same four battle types anymore (unless I lose some officers). For my army I'm putting one officer of each type (attack, defense, high spirits, good luck) in a unit which I assume is the best way to do it.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Putting it out everywhere... it’s gonna blow Calamity’s sales to pieces

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Fumaofthelake posted:

Putting it out everywhere... it’s gonna blow Calamity’s sales to pieces

Are there that many more fans of Persona than there are Zelda?

Though I see what you mean, regarding platform distribution.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Twelve by Pies posted:

First of all, hooray! It seemed like we were never going to get it, which would have been a shame since I'm really interested in it. I would say maybe Age of Calamity breaking sales records is responsible, but a February release date would be too short for that to be the case.

Second, wow, Ambition Mode gets a lot more interesting after you build the Emperor's palace. I'm still not entirely sure how subjugation percentages work, or how to tell when you've recruited every playable officer in an area, but I'm way into it now that it isn't just choosing from the same four battle types anymore (unless I lose some officers). For my army I'm putting one officer of each type (attack, defense, high spirits, good luck) in a unit which I assume is the best way to do it.

You can tell if there are no more recruitable officers in a region by going into a battle and checking the opposing army's officers - if they're all generic (or, if you've gotten most generic officers, if they're all Unit Commanders) then go to another region.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Morter posted:

Are there that many more fans of Persona than there are Zelda?

Though I see what you mean, regarding platform distribution.

I think it's because of how big Persona 5 is. After all, it directly influenced the art direction of The World Ends With You.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Yeah I dunno I'm just huffing my own farts