Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1330307102997426177

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017
Gah, that's even worse.

https://twitter.com/_ThePilot_/status/1330308688335265793

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Bedshaped posted:

Star Citizen is so bad and unfun to play, it's phenomenal. runs like a piece of poo poo also

NO! It's the best dam space sim ever!

A sexy bear told me :iiasb:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Announcing Lumberyard in 2016 - Amazon's Cloud Native Game Engine

384K views
4 years ago

Unreal Engine 5 Revealed! | Next-Gen Real-Time Demo Running on PlayStation 5

14M views
6 months ago

You can do it lumberyard-chan, you're almost there!

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

More recruiting pitches from my buddy who sunk a lot into this game. What does the biggest ship cost? that is what he bought

quote:

for me, I like it because of the technology that they've built for it - the stuff the game actually does is amazing as poo poo
the fact you can fly a spaceship out of your spaceship, and then fly that to another planet and then land on the planet with no loading screens is pretty crazy

IT'S WILD

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Does your buddy know like Epyrion and Space Engineers both do that and are actual games?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

:gary:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DirectWatchfulEastsiberianlaika-mobile.mp4

PlainCrazy
Nov 22, 2020
You don't know me but I have happily followed this thread and gotten much entertainment from it, thank you all that contribute. Like the Star Wars prequels, Star Citizen is valuable if only for the entertaining criticism of it. I owe you all a great debt especially Gabriel the cat.

I decided to finally give it a try in the hopes of experiencing some lulz. I believed that after studying Star Citizen jank as described ITT I would be prepared to navigate the game's whimsical twists and turns. I had tried another free fly many moons ago, was bored, and went back to gawking at the spectacle. Certainly this time should be better.

I was wrong, and I want to share the story. I played yesterday, but somehow every moment of the experience is burned into my brain, a hurried but distinct series of flashbulb memories. I regged only to let out the experience and begin the healing. No one asked for this, I'm sorry. It would be a descent into madness if it didn't just start that way.

----

I found the launcher easily this time. When I ran it the game actually started downloading normally. It downloaded the 13GB package at a decent speed. So far, so good.

Wait, it wants to download another 50+ GB? Ok, whatever.

Huh, it's saying I don't have enough disk space to install? But I installed the launcher on the X:\, a big blank drive just for space-hogs like this. Oh, when I go the the launcher SETTINGS page, it's set to install in the C:\. I thought the game would just install to the same drive I put the launcher in, or at least ask me for a location. No, it just defaults to C:\, which is likely (and in this case, is) the smallest drive on the user's computer, the oldest, slowest, most used, and holds the OS and most background processes. Oh well.

I copy the 13GB of Star Citizen installation files to the X:\. I set my download location to the X:\. I press "Verify game files". I shouldn't have to download these again.

It still downloads the 13GB again.

Then it starts the 50GB. I try to surf the forums while the download is going. I can't. Pages hang and images are slow to load. Of my 8MB/s connection the downloader is stubbornly using all of it. I do some chores (I am not yet aware that this is the most positive part of the Star Citizen experience).

The download finishes. I can use my computer again while it installs.

I log in. It asks for the email confirmation code. I did not mention this, but it has already asked me for an email confirmation code 2 times before at the site login and launcher login.

The game loads to the main menu.

I connect to a server and select my spawn location. This actually works. I wait for the world to load, for at least a minute. I alt-tab in and out during the loading, and the game does not crash. Nice.

I am staring at the ceiling. Moving my head around, I find I am not in a wankpod. I am in an I-Phone-themed room with lights and greebles. So spartan and cold. I must be on a ship. My body seems level with the bed; not sunk into it or floating above. I mash keys trying to escape from the sleep paralysis. Eventually, a tooltip tells me to press "Y" to get up. "Why Y?", I think? Why not walk, or jump or crouch or any of the other movement keys? Grudgingly, I am grateful for the tooltip, which is more than I got so many years ago.

The frame rate is fine, but the game keeps hitching, many times a second. I check taskmanager; it's already using 9GB of memory (of 32). I am in a room with nothing and it's using 9GB. Absolutely nothing is happening, and the game is using 250kB/s of network traffic. Someone, somewhere, is doing something in the game world, and my computer knows all about it, but I probably won't. It's hard to control the inner thought cursor to open the door. It often moves too far with some inputs, and not far enough with others. But the futuristic door handle-button is bigger now, and I escape the room quickly.

I look out the window at the glittering city I know I will never get to explore. I feel the cardboard hollowness, but it's ok. What if I were playing Star Citizen naively for the first time? I would feel hope that this game was going to be cool, making the later disappointment all the worse.

I am in a hotel, not a ship. The lobby is empty. It is dark and there is a howling windy sound effect, like a horror arthouse film. Like Eraserhead or Angel's egg. Who am I, why am I here? No jumpscare occurs. Unnerved by the nothing, I run around the lobby. The input lag is jarring at first, feeling like Second Life. I slowly start to panic like a drugged animal waking up in a cage. There's no way out, I retreat to the corner. I become wedged between the slanted lower wall and the planter, jittering in place. My head hurts. The planter looks like a trash can filled with dirt. The plants are weeds that happened to grow there over the years. This place is abandoned. Slowly, the surroundings feel safer, and I begin sniffing around the walls.

There is an elevator door. It's the same bone white of the other doors, but in a different orientation. Upon inspection, it has two sliding panels instead of one, and the door handle-pad is offset to the wall at the side of the door, rather than on the door proper. I call it, the doors open. Relief washes over me like opening the blinds to a sunrise. The elevator came.

What floor do I want? I don't even know where I would go, or why. Vaguely I remember flying a spaceship in Star Citizen and shooting AFK players at Port Olisar. I see 6, 5, 4, 3... on the elevator control pad. Just numbers, with no clue as to what is on each floor. 6 is the highest; perhaps I can spawn a ship there? I press 6. There is no elevator music, just the howling. The doors open.

It's the same map. The window, hallway, and doors. I look out the window. Are the buildings outside lower now? I can't tell. I can't tell. Maybe I didn't move anywhere at all. I run around the floor again. I learn to go prone, it feels safe. I can stand up again by pressing jump twice. I can't press jump twice in rapid succession. I have to press jump once, wait for the model to assume the crouch pose, then press jump again. Then when fully erect, I can jump proper. Less of a jump and more like doing a belly-crunch while my body hovers. Am I a ghost? Did I die here?

None of the doors open, except for the elevator. I can't jump through the window. I need a map or some kind of direction. Maybe I can find a pinch-point in the room to clip through the floor? Wedging against the garbage can again, I spin and try all my animations. I can't go prone while in the jittter-hover state because the game thinks I'm flying. I go back to the elevator and try a different floor.

It's the same map. Then I see it-

The elevator floor select panel has a scroll bar on it. The elevator floor select panel has a scroll bar on it. The elevator floor select panel has a scroll bar on it. Like no elevator that will, ever, or should exist, the elevator floor select panel has a scroll bar on it. The only floor that you would ever want to select is not initially visible, and you have to know that the naked vertical line on the right is a scroll bar. I scroll down and select the bottom floor.

Angry, already sick with regret, I press on, faster and faster. The 4 hour install can not have been in vain. NPCs haunt the corridors with hollow stares. I jump at them but they don't see me. Are they ghosts, or am I? A woman(?) stands directly at the top of the stairs to the subway, as if about to jump, gazing wide-eyed at some realization that is at once soul destroying, but so obvious that she knew it all along. Another man faces the wall, as if trying not to see. I'm surprised when a player runs by, skipping with urgent desync like a fellow rodent from a forest fire. No... it's just his -clothes- moving! The player's body is invisible. The player is gone a long time ago, but his echo still runs through the halls, over and over.

The subway, I've seen that before. I leave the woman standing at the top of the steps. Out of pity I wish I could kick her down the stairs, but the NPCs are completely non-interactable. Maybe that was her terrible realization. A sign points me to the expo center. Does it mean to get on the train? I board it. Flashing lights pound like a jackhammer. World geometry flashes in and out. Head hurts, alt-tab works like balm. The game renderer doesn't run while the game is minimized, which I know is prudent, but... it means I have to keep tabbing back into the game to see if I have reached a stop yet. A veteran of helicopter flight simulators and Adult Swim cartoons, the train ride is actually the most nauseating sequence I've seen on a screen. The next-stop marquee moves so slowly, and the temporal ant-aliasing smudges the letters as they crawl. I go to the settings to turn off anti-aliasing... -wait- I recall from a Spectrum post that there is no AA option in the menu. It has to be changed in a config file. The game settings pages number in the dozens, but anti-aliasing isn't one of the options. Tabbing in and out, I stay on the train until reaching the expo center.

Vacant white halls. There are ships and people here, but everything is non-interactable. Players run, run, run, flashing and teleporting, skipping strides as if trying to move faster. Angrily through the halls like lost souls trying to escape, anywhere, anyhow. Running, but the rooms are so vast and empty it's like floating in a void. Like in a nightmare where you can't escape a creeping evil because your legs don't work. Must get out. Every room is full of the same mannequins in the lonely white void. I bump into the information desk, finally! There will be a map. There will be a quest! The clerk stares at me. Through me. I click, I press all the buttons. He stares. I try to jump on him. He knows the information, -is- telling me with his silence. There is no quest, there are no ships to fly here. I remember... an offer of money for combat assistance? A message in a bottle, from somewhere, buried deep in the 250kB of network traffic, but forever unknown to me. Where next? The void and the mannequins and high poly ship models spread over 17GB of memory. It can't end here. There are more stops on the train! I run around like the other lost souls but... the train station is just a memory lost in the endless white halls. In despair, I figure out how to use the text chat. I ask for help. Quickly, though it seems like an eternity, someone mercifully tells me the key binding. I thank him and suicide.

This is getting long. Longer than I played. I end up at the Commons and, surprise, there is nothing there but un-interactable animatronics. A holographic hummingbird nibbles on plastic plants with as much effect as the NPCs do on the gameplay. Eventually I get to the spaceport. At first I think I can spawn a ship at the "Ship Rental" kiosk. I rent something and keep wandering around. I click on panels, try to open the hangar elevators, no. By luck I see a player in ragged brown garb staring at a terminal by the big planter, the fabled Aesop terminals and, finally, spawn a ship. I go to the hangar. I don't know what the ship was called, but it had a hatchback that immediately opened, so I went in. Inside were two shiny hamster-wheel like drums that I could walk through, and an ominous looking device with a refraction particle effect at the end. The hatchback automatically closed behind me. Spinning around, jittering against the walls I look for the button to open it again to get out, get out. No button, can't get out. I go prone and try to glitch through the wall. 75% chest damage. My health ticks away and blood loss saves me from a second voluntary suicide.

Rage-quit then return to try again a little later (still have not learned my lesson). I manage to spawn a 100i. I get in and find "flight ready" among all the identical unlabeled buttons. As soon as I tap space to hover, the ship -shoots- forward and embeds halfway into the hangar door. I did not press forward. I can see outside, but no matter how I twist and turn, can't get unstuck from the door. Someone tells me how to open the hangar door by contacting ATC via the FRIENDS LIST. The FRIENDS LIST. The list where you would normally add friends to chat with them more easily is where they put the ATC contact. The hangar door opens, and I shoot up into the sky.

The flight. Finally! My ship is rolling out of control as it proceeds, and I work the mouse to not crash. A warning flashes, something like: "restricted no fly zone". I vaguely understand that these kill you, so I painfully turn the spinning ship 90 degrees, and upward. I try to go to the controls menu to figure out why I'm spinning, but whenever I open the menu, I can't see where I'm flying. So I alternate between flying and frantic spells groping in the control menu, trying not to crash. If I crash I know I will not play again, and this will all have been for nothing.

There are control options for devices I don't even have plugged in (gamepad? 4 joysticks? I don't have those), and the devices are not named, so I don't initially know what to adjust. I eventually learn that Joystick 1 is my Logitech stick and, even though I want to fly with mouse and keyboard, it just automatically uses the joystick too. With emphasis, BOTH the mouse and my joystick (and I'm assuming all of the attached game controllers on the computer) are AUTOMATICALLY ACTIVE AND DUMPING INPUTS INTO THE SHIP AT THE SAME TIME and ANYTHING YOU DONT WANT TO USE NEEDS TO BE UNPLUGGED or UNBOUND MANUALLY. My Logitech stick has an uncentered yaw axis, which I now see is causing the uncontrolled roll. I will repeat... my stick has an uncentered YAW axis which is causing the uncontrolled ROLL. I will repeat, the twist axis is automatically bound to the ship's roll, and the X axis is automatically bound to the ships yaw. While the player is trying to fly with the mouse. I only have the one joystick, so the confusion is mercifully brief. The thought of having more game controllers and dealing with this mess stings my brain like a hot stove.

Whatever, I just swap roll with yaw and start flying using the stick. The ship barely moves unless I hold "strafe forward", even though I see that there is a... throttle? controlled by the mouse wheel. The throttle on the joystick doesn't seem to do anything. I dimly think of looking for the controls for decoupled, throttle, and setting input curves but... there's no point. The game hasn't suggested that there is anywhere to go, or do, or any reason to find out. I have a decent space ship, which, when it blows up, respawns in 5 minutes, so I've effectively won the game already. The other players I see are forgotten like leaves in the wind after they stutter past me and disappear somewhere. I could try and find a quest to get more money, but... this is a temporary demo where I'd probably just lose any short term gains to a physics glitch or server crash anyway. But still, I'm curious. I hold W and head to space, reversing my direction whenever I get the "Restricted area" message. Automatic motions of KSP have me move in a perfect parabola to orbit but... my speed doesn't actually increase, and there is no actual orbit in this game. I fly straight up until I get to space, park and shoot the lasers some. I think about finding something to shoot but, the lasers seem so puny, almost inaudible.

Deliverance finally comes when I decide to get out of my chair and walk around the ship. Maybe I'll go outside and float around, look at the planet, whatever. Now, when I got into my seat, I accomplished the feat by using inner thought, and clicking on the chair. Naturally, I should do the same thing to get -out- of the seat. I pull my thoughts inward and click on the chair. I am ejected into space. Did what I needed if not what I wanted, and my commando froze to death, finally at peace, knowing that I would not try to play Star Citizen again.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PlainCrazy posted:

You don't know me but I have happily followed this thread and gotten much entertainment from it, thank you all that contribute. Like the Star Wars prequels, Star Citizen is valuable if only for the entertaining criticism of it. I owe you all a great debt especially Gabriel the cat.

Game is good. I’m buying in.

Thanks for the trip report friend. You’ve sold me.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Perfect. Buy an Idris.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I agree and you should definitely buy an idris

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Don't listen to those who tell you to buy an Idris, they're just trolling, and you're better than that.

Buy a Legatus package, that'll show them.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Hey there, space ship buying thread. I need some advice on what to buy next so I figured this was the place to ask.

I recently started playing this space game for free after some friends got me into it. At the end of our first session running some missions and generally faffing around I had enough money saved up to get out of my starter ship and into something better so I bought an Adder. I did some looking and it seems like the Cobra mkIV or Diamondback Explorer are a good next step until I can afford an Asp but I'm still getting my space legs underneath me so some advice is always appreciated. What ship should I get that really punches above its weight?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Read the OP, jeeze this not that hard.

TLDR: buy an Idris

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

DreadUnknown posted:

Does your buddy know like Epyrion and Space Engineers both do that and are actual games?

but those aren't IMMERSIVE SPACE SIMS! :colbert:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Redundant posted:

Hey there, space ship buying thread. I need some advice on what to buy next so I figured this was the place to ask.

I recently started playing this space game for free after some friends got me into it. At the end of our first session running some missions and generally faffing around I had enough money saved up to get out of my starter ship and into something better so I bought an Adder. I did some looking and it seems like the Cobra mkIV or Diamondback Explorer are a good next step until I can afford an Asp but I'm still getting my space legs underneath me so some advice is always appreciated. What ship should I get that really punches above its weight?

Get the Nomad, it has unbreakable cockpit glass

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

PlainCrazy posted:

Thank you for your journey into the best drat space horror simulator, I got to experience the sisyphean torment of crobear's space madness without infecting my own drives

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

PlainCrazy posted:

There is no elevator music, just the howling.

That was delicious, thank you friend!

I'm glad you made it out.

Let us raise a glass to those who are still trapped in there

https://i.imgur.com/FStKsvp.mp4

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sneaky Wombat posted:

More recruiting pitches from my buddy who sunk a lot into this game. What does the biggest ship cost? that is what he bought

IT'S WILD

I'm trying to think of which ships actually have an area you can launch another ship from and based on my admittedly failing recollection of this stupid game, your buddy probably owns either an 890 Jump ($900) or an Anvil Carrack ($600), which I think are the only two that currently have a little hangar and elevator that actually functions.

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

Ahahahahahaha

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Hey, I guess the missile truck can take a ship down after all!

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017
I feel for poor Bog. He streamed Elite daily for years, got pissed off with Frontier delaying fleet carriers last year, tried SC and never went back. Despite *everything* being broken as we see.

I suspect the reason he still plays it every day is his numbers seem to be better than streaming Elite, he's doing quite well. I mean, there's definitely more people watching SC than Elite on twitch. Watching rather than playing, the SC way.

Meanwhile Elite is free in epic store for a week and the starter system had 193,000 players passing through in 24 hours.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
https://i.imgur.com/hGIVPG3.mp4

I don't know what I like more in this otherwise banal clip. Is it the red-out shifting the planetary depths into a pulsing netherworld? The tree branches whipping by as the avatar shivers and quakes? The deadpan voice in the dark stating: 'I'm getting upset'...?

Yes. It is those things.

ronmcd posted:

I feel for poor Bog.

Yeah he seems a nice guy. It's a shame to see someone strap themselves to a sinking ship, and then go around perpetually holding their breath.

At least with gropey guy we could cheer.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
Jeez...CIG half-assed everything about this big annual event. They didn’t have to plan a Citcon. Didn’t have to have a huge multi-office livestream. And even so, they phoned in their ship commercials and just slapped a Free Fly on a crap patch because “muh celebration!”

Are we breaking sales records yet?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

You know things are grim when CIG won't even splurge on full length clips for their Jeremy Clarkson ripoff.

Grim as in "they probably realized they don't actually need to do these for hundreds of the world's dumbest video game enthusiasts to forego eating for a month to buy whatever the new spaceship is"

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
e: ^^^^ yeah, why bother? ^^^^^

G0RF posted:

Jeez...CIG half-assed everything about this big annual event. They didn’t have to plan a Citcon. Didn’t have to have a huge multi-office livestream. And even so, they phoned in their ship commercials and just slapped a Free Fly on a crap patch because “muh celebration!”

Are we breaking sales records yet?

They have learned that they don't actually have to give a poo poo, backers will buy every single large ship no matter what.

Today's earnings should be the same as yesterday since the all the Aegis stuff sold out in less than a second (or are they selling different Aegis stuff today?) . Then we have a couple of meh days followed by Drake (huge money), meh, then Origin (good money), meh, and finally the "best in show", which can be an easy 3 million a day if they wish so.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 22, 2020

ronmcd
Aug 27, 2017

Pixelate posted:

Yeah he seems a nice guy. It's a shame to see someone strap themselves to a sinking ship, and then go around perpetually holding their breath.

At least with gropey guy we could cheer.
Exactly. Gropey deserves what he gets when the whole thing collapses, Bog seems decent. Unlike gropey or twerk he's not really all in with SC, he'll move to other games.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

Now that's a seamless ground to space transition if I ever saw one.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

trucutru posted:

They have learned that they don't actually have to give a poo poo, backers will buy every single large ship no matter what.

Today's earnings should be the same as yesterday since the all the Aegis stuff sold out in less than a second (or are they selling different Aegis stuff today?) . Then we have a couple of meh days followed by Drake (huge money), meh, then Origin (good money), meh, and finally the "best in show", which can be an easy 3 million a day if they wish so.

I wonder how long they could get away with doing literally nothing but ship releases. Never talk about anything else, never release a roadmap, just make ships. Probably another record year.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I hate my life so decided to try this free-fly and see what is new and exciting in the broken brain of Chris Roberts

My system specs for comparison;

3900X 12 Core
32GB DDR4
2080 Super
1TB NVMe

First, navigating their website and trying to find the magic button you push to download is infuriating, of course every page is plastered with 'BUY NOW' signs everywhere, it is clear where they spent the majority of their web dev time

Download took 30 minutes on a 1GB connection, but probably 15-20 minutes just finding out HOW to download the game

First load, seemed quick enough... the character creation screen is very obtuse and doesn't tell you poo poo about what is going on .. why do i have two faces now and why am i blending them?

Loading into the game proper seems to be taking awhile, I've tabbed out to start this post while waiting

~ 6 minutes later ....

Oh , I'm in bed, and staring at my massive chest for some reason.

I've been reading the thread so I already knew, but the tool tip also said press Y to stand up... up why not

Looking around everything is the highest resolution, but incredibly lifeless at the same time. Most things cannot be interacted with, I enter what I think is the worlds smallest water closet, the mirror is glass but you can't see yourself in it.

There is an open/close knob on the wall that while interactable doesn't seem to do anything but I can see a shadow moving around when I press it... I think that's the door closing but not visible to my eyes

The walls and lights are flickering for some reason, really bad texture fighting even in this single room

I can open the dish washer... and sit at the desk. All pointless aside from staring at the wall

The whole room is very noisy, it sounds like a massive washing machine is full of ball bearings just outside the door

I go into the hall using the inner voice thingy... now I turn around and the door to my pod says 'close' and I'm unable to go back inside. Groovy guess I have to explore now

An NPC is standing at a vending machine down the corridor... doing nothing. Oh wait nevermind they just blinked out of existence before my eyes

Elevator with 6 floors and 'ground' , no idea where I'm supposed to go or any direction

Other than the textures flashing past on the walls , there is almost no way to tell you're actually USING the elevator... it just exists.

Suddenly the door opens and... more bland corridors and lifeless NPCs

I see a kiosk for something and try to login, I get stuck in a page I cannot click out of... eventually I'm jittering around 'inside' the kiosk screen and try pressing jump a bunch before I'm launched , SPIT out of the machine and back onto the floor

Now i see a burrito stand.. ok lets try this out

Buy a burrito , trying to eat it says I need to remove my helmet.. ok go into the glass thing, navigate the 500 pages of options and remove my helmet. close mobi glass

Still can't eat the burrito... turns out removing the helmet doesn't take unless you click save and accept. OK! very intuitative

Now I can eat my burrito. Soon I hope to be able to shart my pants

I am outside a bazaar or market, and while I get the look they're going for with neon signs and stuff, it's again just so contrived and lifeless. Nothing says 'lived in' it just looks computer moduled and fabricated

An NPC is clipped inside some sort of kisok display screen, he seems to not notice

Wandering around endless corridors and they all look the same, I finally stumble upon a door that says 'convention centre' and its closed... for development. Much like the rest of the game I suppose

Oh a door for what looks like the space-train? to area 18 spaceport, exciting!

i wait behind glass doors overlooking vast emptiness, with zero other players or even NPCs, they really made this place look alive. The train glides in without a sound and i get on the completely empty car

as we move off from the station I understand why they put the trains in... so Chris could show off his hand built city to everyone. That's literally the only reason they're in the game. So you're forced to watch his great achievement flash past the windows

We cut off another space craft which looks like it consists of all of 5 polys, before gliding into the space port train... dock

All the NPC's are standing on chairs now, there are 10 of them at the space port area and every single one is standing on a chair. Cool

I find the kiosk for ships and select one I guess I was given for the free-fly... find the elevator and goto hanger 3... ok I'm getting the hang of this poo poo!!

Now things are happening fast, I find the door to my ship and hop in, I get in the pilots seat, WOW ok sweat is forming. Now I turn on the engine. And for some reason my weapons are overheating and I need to let them cool down. HOW THE gently caress do i call ATC to get out of here?

I type my only chat message to try and find out 'HOW THE FLYING gently caress DO I CALL ATC'

Ok, calm down. There it is, F11, look for ATC. Perfect

Ok the hanger door is opening... time to climb out. Ok this little ship has some torque.

Now I can look around, the planet is big, frames are stopping to get choppy though.

I can spin around, let's go look over here. Wait whats this, red text telling me a restricted area... below? Above? infront.... to my left! oh ... now I can't do anything. Controls are dead.

Hmm... What's that sound? oh, the sound of my ship exploding in a bright blue flash, literally 5 feet from the hanger doors. Because of reasons?

Well folks, that is my experience after waiting 8 years to play this master peice, I hope you had as much fun as I did! I had about 30 seconds of 'gameplay' if we want to call it that, and a good hour of banging my head against the wall at every single step.

I'm gonna go pledge now

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

trucutru posted:

Meanwhile, on reddit:

No need to thanks me, you're welcome!

The internet was a mistake.

Developer: "Hey boss- we can't really get the landing gear or cargo bay door to work right."

:trustme: : "I have an idea..."

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Blue On Blue posted:

I hate my life so decided to try this free-fly and see what is new and exciting in the broken brain of Chris Roberts

My system specs for comparison;

3900X 12 Core
32GB DDR4
2080 Super
1TB NVMe

First, navigating their website and trying to find the magic button you push to download is infuriating, of course every page is plastered with 'BUY NOW' signs everywhere, it is clear where they spent the majority of their web dev time

Download took 30 minutes on a 1GB connection, but probably 15-20 minutes just finding out HOW to download the game

First load, seemed quick enough... the character creation screen is very obtuse and doesn't tell you poo poo about what is going on .. why do i have two faces now and why am i blending them?

Loading into the game proper seems to be taking awhile, I've tabbed out to start this post while waiting

~ 6 minutes later ....

Oh , I'm in bed, and staring at my massive chest for some reason.

I've been reading the thread so I already knew, but the tool tip also said press Y to stand up... up why not

Looking around everything is the highest resolution, but incredibly lifeless at the same time. Most things cannot be interacted with, I enter what I think is the worlds smallest water closet, the mirror is glass but you can't see yourself in it.

There is an open/close knob on the wall that while interactable doesn't seem to do anything but I can see a shadow moving around when I press it... I think that's the door closing but not visible to my eyes

The walls and lights are flickering for some reason, really bad texture fighting even in this single room

I can open the dish washer... and sit at the desk. All pointless aside from staring at the wall

The whole room is very noisy, it sounds like a massive washing machine is full of ball bearings just outside the door

I go into the hall using the inner voice thingy... now I turn around and the door to my pod says 'close' and I'm unable to go back inside. Groovy guess I have to explore now

An NPC is standing at a vending machine down the corridor... doing nothing. Oh wait nevermind they just blinked out of existence before my eyes

Elevator with 6 floors and 'ground' , no idea where I'm supposed to go or any direction

Other than the textures flashing past on the walls , there is almost no way to tell you're actually USING the elevator... it just exists.

Suddenly the door opens and... more bland corridors and lifeless NPCs

I see a kiosk for something and try to login, I get stuck in a page I cannot click out of... eventually I'm jittering around 'inside' the kiosk screen and try pressing jump a bunch before I'm launched , SPIT out of the machine and back onto the floor

Now i see a burrito stand.. ok lets try this out

Buy a burrito , trying to eat it says I need to remove my helmet.. ok go into the glass thing, navigate the 500 pages of options and remove my helmet. close mobi glass

Still can't eat the burrito... turns out removing the helmet doesn't take unless you click save and accept. OK! very intuitative

Now I can eat my burrito. Soon I hope to be able to shart my pants

I am outside a bazaar or market, and while I get the look they're going for with neon signs and stuff, it's again just so contrived and lifeless. Nothing says 'lived in' it just looks computer moduled and fabricated

An NPC is clipped inside some sort of kisok display screen, he seems to not notice

Wandering around endless corridors and they all look the same, I finally stumble upon a door that says 'convention centre' and its closed... for development. Much like the rest of the game I suppose

Oh a door for what looks like the space-train? to area 18 spaceport, exciting!

i wait behind glass doors overlooking vast emptiness, with zero other players or even NPCs, they really made this place look alive. The train glides in without a sound and i get on the completely empty car

as we move off from the station I understand why they put the trains in... so Chris could show off his hand built city to everyone. That's literally the only reason they're in the game. So you're forced to watch his great achievement flash past the windows

We cut off another space craft which looks like it consists of all of 5 polys, before gliding into the space port train... dock

All the NPC's are standing on chairs now, there are 10 of them at the space port area and every single one is standing on a chair. Cool

I find the kiosk for ships and select one I guess I was given for the free-fly... find the elevator and goto hanger 3... ok I'm getting the hang of this poo poo!!

Now things are happening fast, I find the door to my ship and hop in, I get in the pilots seat, WOW ok sweat is forming. Now I turn on the engine. And for some reason my weapons are overheating and I need to let them cool down. HOW THE gently caress do i call ATC to get out of here?

I type my only chat message to try and find out 'HOW THE FLYING gently caress DO I CALL ATC'

Ok, calm down. There it is, F11, look for ATC. Perfect

Ok the hanger door is opening... time to climb out. Ok this little ship has some torque.

Now I can look around, the planet is big, frames are stopping to get choppy though.

I can spin around, let's go look over here. Wait whats this, red text telling me a restricted area... below? Above? infront.... to my left! oh ... now I can't do anything. Controls are dead.

Hmm... What's that sound? oh, the sound of my ship exploding in a bright blue flash, literally 5 feet from the hanger doors. Because of reasons?

Well folks, that is my experience after waiting 8 years to play this master peice, I hope you had as much fun as I did! I had about 30 seconds of 'gameplay' if we want to call it that, and a good hour of banging my head against the wall at every single step.

I'm gonna go pledge now

For fun . HA

I tried Star Marine

Everything you do in Star Marine results in video lag, going to your sights? 1/2 second lag.

Sprinting? Lag

Throwing a grenade, you better believe another 1/2 second lag !!

It's very un-fun, and a struggle just to get from spawn to the objective

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Blue On Blue posted:

For fun . HA

I tried Star Marine

Everything you do in Star Marine results in video lag, going to your sights? 1/2 second lag.

Sprinting? Lag

Throwing a grenade, you better believe another 1/2 second lag !!

It's very un-fun, and a struggle just to get from spawn to the objective

ahh star marine

It takes several respwans to get a working charecter, then the objectives are often bugged so you may have to find a new match. The rubber banding is insane.

I dont think i have played any fps shooter or mod that was more terrible or broken gameplay wise.

apart from when it first came out i have never seen a match with more than 1 person in it.

Truely a master works of art that will be remembered for its contribution to PC gaming

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

trucutru posted:

After hearing how long it takes to download, im sure day 3 and 4 will really be crackers when the masses finnaly manage to install and login !

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

* Interstellar travel currently unimplemented
* Interdimensional travel Tier 0 implemented
* Interdimensional travel currently only goes to Silent Hill
* Workaround - do not play the game

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

phosdex posted:

I wonder how long they could get away with doing literally nothing but ship releases. Never talk about anything else, never release a roadmap, just make ships. Probably another record year.

Isn't that exactly what they've been doing for the past couple of years?

They threatened to ship another game mode but then, nope, just more ships.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

DigitalPenny posted:

ahh star marine

It takes several respwans to get a working charecter, then the objectives are often bugged so you may have to find a new match. The rubber banding is insane.

I dont think i have played any fps shooter or mod that was more terrible or broken gameplay wise.

apart from when it first came out i have never seen a match with more than 1 person in it.

Truely a master works of art that will be remembered for its contribution to PC gaming

Star Marine is Tier 1 because they tossed out Tier 0.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

DigitalPenny posted:

ahh star marine

I didn't have any of those issues in the one control point match I played of Star Marine, it was just the most generic-rear end shooter I've ever played. The zero gravity areas were neat (although janky), but that's about it. And since there were only 6 people in a match it was mostly just playing whack-a-mole with capture points and barely ever shooting anyone.

Oh, and the music sucked. It was just this low-key synth noodling that didn't match the tone at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Look the short version of those that saw my huge wall of text;

1) Everything about Star Citizen is very boring.

2) It looks nice in some spots, sadly I never made it far enough without exploding to see the famed 'space' part of the game and only have knowledge of the station and train gameplay

3) The NPC's are all lifeless , they are either doing Generic Pose 5, or staring silently off into the distance while standing on top of something

4) I think I maybe saw 5 other players, at least the ones I could confirm were players because they were running faster than anything else

5) The controls are difficult, I'm sure once you're used to them its fine. But the random help notes popping up often have NOTHING to do with your current activities, so you have to wait 1-5 minutes for the notes to scroll through and hope it pops up the one you're looking for

6) The people in-game are actually helpful, slightly redeeming their totally toxic community otherwise.

7) I can't stress how boring and lifeless the world is they've created. After all the hype for their super realistic everything, it's simply a nice wall-paper viewer in motion

8) Star Marine was a huge waste of development time, there is nothing about it that hasn't been done much better by everyone else already