Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

The Eyes Have It posted:

Post Your Board Cats

Looks like the Cat of Monte Cristo, slowly bidding its time for revenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

virinvictus posted:

Hey all,

Just getting into board games. Me and my partner live in Arctic Canada (Nunavik region of Quebec) and so we’ve begun playing board games to pass the time due to a 100GB bandwidth cap. Thankfully, I found a board game place that delivers to the North for free after $150. We really like Pandemic and Catan, so I’ve purchased:

- Pandemic Legacy Season 0
- Pandemic Legacy Season 2
- Pandemic: On The Brink expansion
- Gloomhaven

Don’t know if these will jive well for us, but are there any suggestions for some fun two to three player games (only know one person on this reserve who also plays and occasionally joins our pandemic sessions)?

We work full days and generally only have an hour or two for gaming time before bed. Partner is not really into science fiction, more fantastical less space.

If that changes any recommendations.

Puerto Rico and Dominion are short-ish older games that work well at 2-3.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Games without much direct player interaction are generally most agnostic about player count (most co-ops, deck builders, worker placement). For highly interactive games and war games, I usually prefer to have separate 2p and 3p games.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 22, 2020

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

virinvictus posted:

Hey all,

Just getting into board games. Me and my partner live in Arctic Canada (Nunavik region of Quebec) and so we’ve begun playing board games to pass the time due to a 100GB bandwidth cap. Thankfully, I found a board game place that delivers to the North for free after $150. We really like Pandemic and Catan, so I’ve purchased:

- Gloomhaven

Don’t know if these will jive well for us, but are there any suggestions for some fun two to three player games (only know one person on this reserve who also plays and occasionally joins our pandemic sessions)?

We work full days and generally only have an hour or two for gaming time before bed. Partner is not really into science fiction, more fantastical less space.

For $150, you can get a ton of great, smaller games. Love Letter plays 3, and it's only like ten bucks. My wife buys a couple copies every time we go to our FLGS to hand out as gifts throughout the year. Fox in the Forest Duet is 2-player and we play it 2-3 times a week during our Pandemic Lunch Break. We have too many roll&writes, but both Cartographers and Ganz Schon Clever hit the table at least monthly. We used to play Railroad, Ink quite a bit, but found the free print-and-play 30 Rails to be more fun.

I'm really bad at Schotten Totten, a simple, cheap card game that's infuriating (in a good way). We've played a lot of Lost Cities the card game, which is kinda similar. Just played a great game of Tiny Towns with 2 players that left both of us saying "we should play this more!"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Any good game suggestions this year as gifts for 10-12 year olds?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

virinvictus posted:

Hey all,

- Gloomhaven

CommonShore posted:

I will, unsurprisingly because I recommend it to everyone constantly, recommend Hey! That's My Fish! to both of you.

It's fast, fun, easy enough for children, and deep enough for anyone.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone here already received their copy of Jagged Earth but didn't get it directly from the Kickstart campaign? If so, where did you get it?

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Ragnar34 posted:

Has anyone here already received their copy of Jagged Earth but didn't get it directly from the Kickstart campaign? If so, where did you get it?

I just got notified my pre-order just came in today to my LGS, I'll be picking it up tomorrow. I'm in Ontario, Canada for what it's worth.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

CommonShore posted:

Despite the complexity, Lords of Hellas has absolutely captivated every teenaged lad I've played it with (I'm a high school teacher, btw). Kids will put the time in to learn a complex game if it's badass enough.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I feel like that was a good age for thematic ameritrash. So whatever feels like an interesting theme to the recipient.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Just played tzolkin last night. We were all pretty rough on it but playing it on board game arena probably saved 30 minutes over setting up, scoring, and keeping track of everything ourselves. Eager to try it again.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Ragnar34 posted:

Picked up my pre-order from my local store today, in Madison WI.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Jcam posted:

I just got notified my pre-order just came in today to my LGS, I'll be picking it up tomorrow. I'm in Ontario, Canada for what it's worth.

I don't have one of those, so I think I get to wait another month.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Ragnar34 posted:

I don't have one of those, so I think I get to wait another month.

Any chance you're in Canada? The shop I go to has two more copies for sale and they ship nationwide for cheap, I've always had great experiences there. You can PM me if you want info on the store!

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

CommonShore posted:

My friend's kids played so much Unmatched Battle of Legends that they wore it out and had to buy a second copy.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

Kids that age seem to really enjoy any of the Clank! games. I've got a little dude in my life who was pretty obsessed with Quarriors from age 8-12 or so. Not sure if they still sell the base game.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Ragnar34 posted:

Atomic Empire just shipped my copy. It's slow boat because it's free shipping to Hawai'i but if you're on the mainland shipping should be faster. It looks like they still have some available, but I suspect that if Atomic has stock flgs might be getting them in too?

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Stickman posted:

Atomic Empire just shipped my copy. It's slow boat because it's free shipping to Hawai'i but if you're on the mainland shipping should be faster. It looks like they still have some available, but I suspect that if Atomic has stock flgs might be getting them in too?

Huh, small world - Atomic Empire is my FLGS.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I ordered BattleCON WoI for myself from miniature market for $9. I had considered it previously and figured I shouldn't spend $50 for a game I'll never play. But $9 for a game I'll never play is a bargain!

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Does anyone have experience with Don't Look Back from Black Site Studios?
https://blacksitestudio.com/dlb/

It looks interesting, but I don't know if it's interesting enough to drop $100 on. My oldest thought it looked fun, and I have trouble getting them interested in games, so it might be worth it just for that.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
My video Thoughts on Anno 1800 I don't have plans on monetizing my videos and you'll learn more in reading the About to my channel. Showing anxiety, maybe one day I can get that under control.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 23, 2020

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Greater than Games have the Spirit Island Promo Pack 2 for order finally. Retailers likely won't get it, so you have to order directly through the.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

nordichammer posted:

Greater than Games have the Spirit Island Promo Pack 2 for order finally. Retailers likely won't get it, so you have to order directly through the.

Thanks for this! Just ordered the promo pack.

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

nordichammer posted:

I did eventually manage to find promo pack 1 at retail, but it was a real pain. Shipping from the US is so expensive though, not sure whether to grab pack two or not.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

nordichammer posted:

Oh poo poo, thanks!

Stickman posted:

The game store in my area went put of business. Honestly, now that the promo is out, I'm just going to play that and try to be patient. Unless I flip out and order from atomic empire. We'll see.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Cardhaus may have Jagged Earth in stock, along with Greater than Games themselves if you're already getting promo through them.

Now that I've been useful, I want to ask if anyone has opinions about Safranito. It seems to be getting remade via kickstarter here. Definitely a game where I trust hands on experience because even a video likely doesn't tell me how it feels in practice.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grailgames/hibachi/description

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Can't believe I've gotten lucky again - found a copy of Nuclear Proliferation for a good price, so I've ordered it! Finally, the expansion I've been wanting this whole time! So once this arrives, I'll have Nuclear War, Nuclear Escalation and Nuclear Proliferation. There's also a 'WMD' (without the 'Nuclear' prefix for some reason. So as it's such a generic term these days, it doesn't show up in my searches :v: ) expansion, but I can live without it. I'll hopefully bag a copy off BGG or something eventually, though. We'll see.

Also, whoever recommended against me buying the Tragic Events expansion for Flash Point has gotten their way. I got it with a couple of others since it was cheap (and I wouldn't have to pay more for shipping, anyway) but the post van was actually stolen a couple of streets away from my house a couple of weeks ago - and it had my package in it! (Can't believe it - I live in a great area, too) So they gave me my money back, and I instead bought 2nd Story and Extreme Danger, which I've been enjoying.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Mayveena posted:

My video Thoughts on Anno 1800 I don't have plans on monetizing my videos and you'll learn more in reading the About to my channel. Showing anxiety, maybe one day I can get that under control.

I read the about, was warned, and still subscribed.

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

I'm absolutely new to Spirit Island but I love it so far. However, I have no history or feel yet for Greater Than Games's ability to keep things in print. I'm sure I'll want Jagged Earth at some point, but as of right now I've still got tons of the base game (and an as yet unopened Branch & Claw) so it might go unplayed for a few months. Should I jump on JE now while I can? Is GTG at all like Fantasy Flight and their rotating mystery print runs of stuff like Arkham Horror LCG expansions?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Ellaybee posted:

I'm absolutely new to Spirit Island but I love it so far. However, I have no history or feel yet for Greater Than Games's ability to keep things in print. I'm sure I'll want Jagged Earth at some point, but as of right now I've still got tons of the base game (and an as yet unopened Branch & Claw) so it might go unplayed for a few months. Should I jump on JE now while I can? Is GTG at all like Fantasy Flight and their rotating mystery print runs of stuff like Arkham Horror LCG expansions?

GTG is bad at keeping stuff in stock (because it's a 1 dude operation with presumably limited working capital)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'll never get Eclipse 2E to the table but after seeing those inserts I really want it.

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

GTG is bad at keeping stuff in stock (because it's a 1 dude operation with presumably limited working capital)

Welp, out goes more money! Thanks for the reply. Who wants to bet the expansion is in its fourth print run before mine leaves the cellophane, asked the game hoarder...

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah the one thing I’ll say is that Spirit Island base game needed some revisions to the cards and manual. No idea if they had better copy editors this time but the misprints were frustrating.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Greater Than Games has been reprinting the hell out of SI stuff so far. No clue if they'll manage to keep it up as they juggle more add ons but I wouldn't worry too much for the foreseeable future.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Speaking of (the other) GTG, has there been any update on the 1889 Kickstarter? I assume it won’t be started until after this series of 61/67 mishaps, but when has that ever stopped companies with chains of KS releases? :smoobles:

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

In the blog post about renaming it to Shikoku: 1889 they mentioned it would be on Kickstarter early next year, so I would imagine it would coincide with 61/67 delivery (if that’s still on schedule to ship before the end of the year of course).

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

virinvictus posted:

The only thing that’s off the tables for her is space games that are ship combat heavy. So there’s no preferences in many ways. Rome is definitely interesting, same as wine making.

I dunno about any of the other Rome games mentioned (and appreciate you're not exclusively after them) but despite appearances Spartacus: A Game of Blood and Treachery is both actually REALLY Good, and also, not really the Gladiator combat game it appears.

It's a seemingly subtle distinction, but it's actually a 'Dominus' game. As in, you play the head of a Gladiator house. What this means in practice is that it's a lot more role-playish than you might imagine. It isn't just combat, there's a whole other half of the game that's really just about being a backstabbing dick / conspiring with allies / being a good host, as you see fit.

It's hard to describe, but the fights themselves are actually kind of removed, as they are something of a 'spectacle' that everyone bets on. So even if you're not taking part it's fun, and when you lose, it's just your gladiator losing, not you. It feels more like a motivator for how you play (depending on whether it was a 'good' fight, if the host had your gladiator executed, etc etc) as to who you ally with / backstab / call out.

You could definitely play the game with you all in tunics on chez lounges, drinking wine and eating grapes, barely paying attention to the actual game, and it would 100% add to the atmosphere. You can definitely win the game without ever actually having a fight.

It's great.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

!Klams posted:

I dunno about any of the other Rome games mentioned (and appreciate you're not exclusively after them) but despite appearances Spartacus: A Game of Blood and Treachery is both actually REALLY Good, and also, not really the Gladiator combat game it appears.

Game's really good, but also longer than you'd think it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

rydiafan posted:

Game's really good, but also longer than you'd think it is.

Someone at my group was raving about Spartacus forever, so we played it with him once. It took four hours and everyone's good will was running out by the end. If it took half the time we'd probably have enjoyed it.