Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just watched a pair of back to back Jem'Hadar eps and I think they were a neat addition to DS9. First one was the one with the guy not dependent on Ketracel White trying to break the dependence on the rest of his squad. He could have been a cool addition to the cast. The other was with the baby Jem'Hadar which I don't remember seeing before but I enjoyed that one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

MikeJF posted:

The episode literally textually presents them with a choice of going home at the cost of leaving it in Kazon hands, that's the entire point of the ending.

People have been going 'can't you just use a time bomb?' since it aired.

Not just that, but what kind of crappy computer system doesn't allow you to say "do this. wait two seconds then do that"

I mean come on. If a system designed in the 1970s is capable of it, a system designed in the 2400s had drat well be capable of it

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Also I just watched the new episode of discovery. I think they might be alternating between star trek episodes and star wars episodes. it's a shame because the trill episode was really good. Also I'm glad the enby actor is getting their time in, too. makes me feel warm and fuzzy to see a smidgen of representation :3:

It just sucks that there aren't more because this is the hecking future god dammit

Anyway, I liked the cat scene with Tilly, probably one of the few levity scenes I've liked so far. If they had spent 1 day getting the subspace relays active they could have gone on more missions but whatever. Also I can't believe that the future ship doesn't have a medbay. It has programmable matter and the Prometheus has the ability to have holograms wherever, 800 years ago, so the fact they can't say "Give me a medbay and heal this person" is abominable and just totally breaks the realism :colbert:

Why do they have to rely on a 900 year old ship to be able to get medical help? What???

It also annoys me Stamets isn't doing more science wrt. working on the new automatic spore drive, but whatever

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endless Trash posted:

The Ferengi wormhole episode is far more egregious than the Caretaker anyways. A direct wormhole back to the Alpha Quadrant (a place chock full of species getting duped by Ferengis on a daily basis) but she refuses to use it because some country bumpkins are getting a bit hosed by the local Ferengi from that Troi episode of TNG.

Oh no-no-no, it's worse than that; Something like half the episode is them sitting in the briefing room trying to moralize whether it's right and just to help a backwards civilization not be manipulated by the Ferengi. All because they're not in Federation space and the Ferengi aren't Federation members, so that means the right thing for a Starfleet ship in the Delta Quadrant to do would be to gently caress off and forget the whole thing.

alexandriao posted:

Why do they have to rely on a 900 year old ship to be able to get medical help? What???

It also annoys me Stamets isn't doing more science wrt. working on the new automatic spore drive, but whatever[/spoiler]

You're an episode behind. Also they needed a clean sample of the plants that cause the mutations of the patients.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

alexandriao posted:

Not just that, but what kind of crappy computer system doesn't allow you to say "do this. wait two seconds then do that"

I mean come on. If a system designed in the 1970s is capable of it, a system designed in the 2400s had drat well be capable of it

I mean, gently caress the computer even, the replicators should have no problem cranking out some 1930's clockwork artillery fuses

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Moral I'm getting from recent Disco episodes:

Everybody is absolved of committing atrocities and other general hosed-upness as long as it's Philippia pulling the trigger

(Cue the "You understand that's worse, right?" meme)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MikeJF posted:

The episode literally textually presents them with a choice of going home at the cost of leaving it in Kazon hands, that's the entire point of the ending.

People have been going 'can't you just use a time bomb?' since it aired.

No it isn't. The entire point is they're being shown a false temptation. Which comes up a few times later, like with that hedonistic planet with the super teleporter.

Edit: Like, literally the teleporter ep and the caretaker ep are mirrors of each other. The caretaker episode is the ideals upheld, then 2nd one is an episode about falling for it.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 21, 2020

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tuvok should have used the caretaker array to send them home then destroyed it himself. Needs of the many.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Does anyone know what's up with the hazey blue vhs-like distortion on all the DS9 video? Its like the film of the episodes wasn't stored properly or something. Im watchin on netflix if it matters.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thine Own Self is a neat bit of sci-fi but uuuuh so these dudes bury their dead in the marketplace near their only well, huh

don't really see them making it out of pre-industrial with that attitude

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 21, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
DS9 was edited and mastered on VHS, so yeah, that’s why it looks like a smudged mess most of the time.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i really want to know how the flashing warm-white tungsten lightbulbs in quark's bar got past:

1) the light production team, since they throw out the balance of every scene they're in

2) the accessibility team, since its an epilepsy trigger

and 3) any of the actors whose on-screen time is literally deflected by blinking lights

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Any day now we'll get a remaster of DS9

Any day now

Any day n

(USER HAS BEEN SKELETALIZED AND TURNED TO DUST)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're an episode behind. Also they needed a clean sample of the plants that cause the mutations of the patients.

No. I was talking about Episode 6. Not the seed vault one.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'm about 95% sure that The Burn was caused by the angel suit exploding.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Tuvok should have used the caretaker array to send them home then destroyed it himself. Needs of the many.

he had no way of knowing at the time that death would be preferable to spending 7 years on voyager.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HD DAD posted:

DS9 was edited and mastered on VHS, so yeah, that’s why it looks like a smudged mess most of the time.

It was edited on videotape but that's not the same thing as VHS (or Betamax, for that matter).

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Flipswitch posted:

Just watched a pair of back to back Jem'Hadar eps and I think they were a neat addition to DS9. First one was the one with the guy not dependent on Ketracel White trying to break the dependence on the rest of his squad. He could have been a cool addition to the cast. The other was with the baby Jem'Hadar which I don't remember seeing before but I enjoyed that one too.

Yeah I really like the first one thematically. The teleplay is a lovely mess of people walking on and off frame without any justification or consequence, and it ultimately makes very little sense, but the concept is there, and it's the one time "O'Brien is a space racist" is actually in tension with anything.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Kalsco posted:

Any day now we'll get a remaster of DS9

Any day now

Any day n

(USER HAS BEEN SKELETALIZED AND TURNED TO DUST)

Apparently Babylon 5 is getting a new clean transfer from the SD video masters, before DS9, which 1. makes me lol at the plight of Star Trek, but 2. also gives me hope for the latter.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ds9 is the blurriest star trek

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

alexandriao posted:

No. I was talking about Episode 6. Not the seed vault one.

What medical help? :confused: Discovery was tasked to stand by and jump in to project military power because it can appear on-demand with its Spore Drive and negotiations were going sideways with The Emerald Chain. "It's 900 years old" is also now completely moot considering how much time they spent showing off Disco's been modernized.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What medical help? :confused: Discovery was tasked to stand by and jump in to project military power because it can appear on-demand with its Spore Drive and negotiations were going sideways with The Emerald Chain. "It's 900 years old" is also now completely moot considering how much time they spent showing off Disco's been modernized.

For the guy who waa injured in the A plot. The guy got taken aboard the future ship and they were like "oh well. hes gonna die unless we get him to discovery" and ??? it just broke me. I stopped watching. The first time discovery has done this, most times plot holes are minor and can be handwaved away. 99% of the stuff major grin posts on youtube, for example, are minor things that can be fixed with two seconds of thought.

This?? They have holograms, they almost definitely have a medical hologram because there's no excuse for the ship not to have one. They have programmable matter which seems to be able to conjure up anything, and even if they didn't, the replicator should drat well be capable of replicating a medical tricorder -- even if it is 800 years old, and some bandages.

I just. Sighhhhhhh

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Apparently Babylon 5 is getting a new clean transfer from the SD video masters, before DS9, which 1. makes me lol at the plight of Star Trek, but 2. also gives me hope for the latter.

I'm told there's a fan made AI upscaled DS9 remaster floating around out there

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It was edited on videotape but that's not the same thing as VHS (or Betamax, for that matter).

Yeah, VHS was a home format and was not nearly broadcast-master quality. I would hope they used some kind of high grade 2" or 1" commercial tape.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

alexandriao posted:

For the guy who waa injured in the A plot. The guy got taken aboard the future ship and they were like "oh well. hes gonna die unless we get him to discovery" and ??? it just broke me. I stopped watching. The first time discovery has done this, most times plot holes are minor and can be handwaved away. 99% of the stuff major grin posts on youtube, for example, are minor things that can be fixed with two seconds of thought.

This?? They have holograms, they almost definitely have a medical hologram because there's no excuse for the ship not to have one. They have programmable matter which seems to be able to conjure up anything, and even if they didn't, the replicator should drat well be capable of replicating a medical tricorder -- even if it is 800 years old, and some bandages.

I just. Sighhhhhhh

That can easily be explained though.
Book was creeped out by all the holograms looking like him and he couldn't figure out how to change them so he just disabled them all.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Tighclops posted:

Oh yeah! I watched some clips from the guy doing that if we're thinking of the same thing. I think it looks pretty good, though sometimes Sisko's skin ends up looking a bit plasticy. I can't find the clips now though or I'd link them here.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/n_a_k/status/1329477705629388800?s=21

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Ghost boyfriend is really breaking the 4th wall for me. I swear he looked at the camera for a second in the last episode and now all I can think of is Jimmy Fallon in SNL. (Grin, look at the camera, deliver lines poorly)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Tighclops posted:

womb with a view posted:

Oh yeah! I watched some clips from the guy doing that if we're thinking of the same thing. I think it looks pretty good, though sometimes Sisko's skin ends up looking a bit plasticy. I can't find the clips now though or I'd link them here.

The clip I've seen was some battle footage in the Defiant. It looks exactly like someone was firing a smoke machine into a particleboard set.

Which is to say, the sets and lighting definitely don't seem to hold up at 4k, but it is hilariously hokey looking.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

here's the guy who was experimenting with it, he was doing lots of passes to try to identify an ideal configuration that could be used across all of DS9 so it could be run as a big script across all episodes.

It's not magic and looks a bit funky sometimes but it's still neat and improved and more watchable than the DVDs, and CBS could probably do way better with direct scans from the masters. You could do even better with a partially curated manual remaster+upscale, particularly with manual digital color regrading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2lUL4YZnF4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxc9grWA9dk

If I had time and money I'd actually like to see an experiment training the upscaler by feeding it TNG-DVD and TNG-HD as a before/after training set. (It's funny, now that I've spent a while looking into these things I can recognise the way that the upscaler in some of these clips is sometimes trying to create smoothed color blocks and occasionally even losing detail because so many of these AIs were initially trained on animation upscaling)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 22, 2020

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Eighties ZomCom posted:

That can easily be explained though.
Book was creeped out by all the holograms looking like him and he couldn't figure out how to change them so he just disabled them all.

Ok, that's fair. But are you telling me in the year that Burnham lived on that ship, and in the what, decade? that Book lived there, neither of them had to replicate even a saline solution or a medical tricorder or any medical equipment?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
just gonna drop a meme in here

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Living best life.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

the baseball episode is bar none one of my favourite all-time star trek episodes across any series. just vomits out character moments and its just so weird and funny.

anyway, im at the negging grandpa episode in season 1 and i really hate this geezer

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Kalsco posted:

the baseball episode is bar none one of my favourite all-time star trek episodes across any series. just vomits out character moments and its just so weird and funny.

anyway, im at the negging grandpa episode in season 1 and i really hate this geezer

"Death to the opposition" gets me every time including right now

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Just watched Odo launch the Dramatis Personae "watch Kira start a loving war" energy field out the airlock. IIRC the Bajorans spend the next forever constantly about to murder the poo poo out of each other.

Way to go Odo.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

They posted well, for a spiritual people.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Johnny Aztec posted:

just gonna drop a meme in here

Broke joke: kal-toh :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

betaraywil posted:

"Death to the opposition" gets me every time including right now

I recently had a competition to get me interested in ds9 (i'd never been able to get past season 2 it's just so boring)

That was the only episode that I just stopped watching. The only thing I can think of more boring than baseball is watching vulcans play baseball.