Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
It was worth every penny that it cost above and beyond cheaper cooler alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
you've already gone above and beyond what SA would ask of you, but i hope you go the extra mile and accidentally leave that on when you have familiar company over.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Man I really wish the NR200/P had top mounted AIO support, or was like, 7mm wider for better tower cooler support. This things so close to perfect for me.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

ijyt posted:

So after a bunch of horror stories about the Strix X570-I with impossible to remove NVMe screws and missing thermal pads, I went and stripped mine to check it, and it's all good. Loctite blue on screws where it should be, and thermal pad on the chipset. Really love how compact this board is and how its been put together.
Any pro tips for dealing with the ribbon cable on the daughter board? I'm considering replacing the chipset thermal pad on my Strix x570-I's chipset since I routinely hit 75*C in gaming workloads and it takes forever for the chipset to cool back down.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ijyt posted:

Man I really wish the NR200/P had top mounted AIO support, or was like, 7mm wider for better tower cooler support. This things so close to perfect for me.

Sounds like someone wants a Sliger S620!

https://m.imgur.com/a/Dg6FO8b

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
To help someone wth even more cramped case I’ve traded my 3070 FE for his 3070 TUF which is a much bigger unit(triple fan, 2.7 slots tall). In nr200 with asus x570i and horizontal mounting it sits leaning down in the front.

In my old nzxt h210 they had a nice adjustable height standoff that would support the GPU in a setup like this.

My google skills are failing in locating something similar for nr200. Any ideas on the combination of keywords to look for or other solutions to try?

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

ijyt posted:

Like somebody mentioned the sliger 620 looks pretty nice for supporting an nh d15s but I would have thought a side mounted 280 in the nr200 should be plenty if a fuma2 isn't good enough for you...

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Side mounted AIO seems a bit fidly, and tbh I think I’ll be sticking to air, S620 seems nice for sure but looks a bit pricey.

denereal visease posted:

Any pro tips for dealing with the ribbon cable on the daughter board? I'm considering replacing the chipset thermal pad on my Strix x570-I's chipset since I routinely hit 75*C in gaming workloads and it takes forever for the chipset to cool back down.

It popped out pretty easily for me, didn’t take much force. Wiggle it a little on the sides if its not coming free.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Bless Ali from OptimumTech for saving me like, £90. Saw the NF-A12’s going for £29.99 per fan, and jumped on a 5-pack of Arctic P12’s instead for £27.99 after checking out his comparison. :v:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

ijyt posted:

Bless Ali from OptimumTech for saving me like, £90. Saw the NF-A12’s going for £29.99 per fan, and jumped on a 5-pack of Arctic P12’s instead for £27.99 after checking out his comparison. :v:

Yeah, they're fantastic deals. I personally haven't noticed much resonance noise at 1000RPM, but it's pretty easy.to set a fan curve to avoid that range if yours do.

Also the PST versions are daisychain-able, which is real nice for keeping the cables organized and avoiding running out of fan headers.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DrDork posted:

Yeah, they're fantastic deals. I personally haven't noticed much resonance noise at 1000RPM, but it's pretty easy.to set a fan curve to avoid that range if yours do.

Also the PST versions are daisychain-able, which is real nice for keeping the cables organized and avoiding running out of fan headers.

Oh perfect, didn’t know about the daisychain feature!

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Thanks for the recommendations earlier thread, I have just received my NR200 and my power supply unit will hopefully be shipped later this week.

I'm going to be building this as and when I can get my hands on the remaining parts, which given the fact that my shopping list includes a 3080 and a 5900x, should be around February unless I get extremely lucky.

Currently weighing up motherboards and heatsink / fan options. Anyone think that the Fuma is a better idea than a Noctua outside of price difference?

Any other advice you think I should take on this journey would be greatly appreciated, this will be my first SFF build and I'm trying to make sure that I don't good it up too much.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

ijyt posted:

Oh perfect, didn’t know about the daisychain feature!

Only the "PST" models have it. They're usually like $1 more than the non-PST models, though, so no reason not to get them.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

frytechnician posted:

Thanks for the recommendations earlier thread, I have just received my NR200 and my power supply unit will hopefully be shipped later this week.

I'm going to be building this as and when I can get my hands on the remaining parts, which given the fact that my shopping list includes a 3080 and a 5900x, should be around February unless I get extremely lucky.

Currently weighing up motherboards and heatsink / fan options. Anyone think that the Fuma is a better idea than a Noctua outside of price difference?

Any other advice you think I should take on this journey would be greatly appreciated, this will be my first SFF build and I'm trying to make sure that I don't good it up too much.

Plenty of people recommend the Fuma 2 in the nr200, as it has similar cooling performance to the Noctua NH-U12A while being €40 cheaper. The only problem is that with certain ITX boards (including the best b550 option, the aorus pro) the processor slot is placed a little higher which means with the Fuma 2 you can't fit a 25mm fan at the top rear position.

This guy goes into way more analytical detail about cooling configurations in the nr200 than you would ever need, if you're interested.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
When did console-style SFFPCs go out of style? Or were they ever in style? :sweatdrop:

Anyway, I'm beginning to get concerned about the thermal performance (the lack thereof) of my Node 202 build and am considering a new console-style case. This style is a hard requirement for my needs.

Gven the fan design of the RTX 3080 FE, I'm thinking I need a case that has vents on both sides of the GPU chamber. From my research, I should look into the following:

• Sliger Console CL520
  • Salvo Studios S402
  • SFF time P-ATX

Sliger CL520
Pros: Smallest of the three choices. In stock.
Cons: Would need to replace my ID-COOLING IS-60 and my 120x25 mm case fans. Probably can't safely cram my 2.5" SSD in it, so would need to switch to an M.2 SSD.

Salvo Studios S402
Pros: Has mounts for 2.5" SSDs. Can keep my ID-COOLING IS-60. Comes with case fans for bottom intake and top exhaust, and a handle.
Cons: Not in stock. Can't use my 120x25 mm fans.

SFF time P-ATX v2
Pros: Can keep all my cooling and storage configuration. Currently accepting pre-orders.
Cons: Largest of the three, though not much larger than the Node 202.

I think I'm leaning towards the S402 at this point, though I probably can't go wrong with the P-ATX either. I just have no idea when either would actually ship. Thoughts? Anything else I should consider?

Or should I just cut a big hole in my Node 202? :v:

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Sliger CL520
Pros: Smallest of the three choices. In stock.
Cons: Would need to replace my ID-COOLING IS-60 and my 120x25 mm case fans. Probably can't safely cram my 2.5" SSD in it, so would need to switch to an M.2 SSD.

Why not a CL530? Fits your cooler with a 25mm fan, can use 120x25mm fans with 2 slot gpu and holds two 2.5"?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Not a bad candidate. It's slightly wider than the Node 202 in vertical orientation and slightly larger in volume, but maybe I could live with that. Will have to think on it more

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone ever built a SFF all in one (monitor + SFF attached)? For a fun project I've been wanting to do kind of a home portable SFF build to use some of the extra parts I have lying around. The kind of thing you could move around the house a few times a week but nothing you'd ever actually want to travel with or use like a laptop. I know this would be incredibly easy with one of those tiny intel/nvidia all-in-one pcs slapped onto the back of a monitor but I wanna be able to use some of my desktop parts. Maybe a SFF with a handle that's attached to a monitor and setup to only use one power cable like a lovely looking bulky imac?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Could someone explain this glorious thing to me?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X79-Lite-Intel-chipset-C602-dual-socket-LGA2011-motherboard-Xeon-E5-2600-v1-v2/164140349528

Dual Xeons, two PCI 3 x 16 slots, and it's 8.5" x 11" like a piece of paper?

What the hell is that and how have I never heard of it?

FuzzySlippers posted:

Anyone ever built a SFF all in one (monitor + SFF attached)? For a fun project I've been wanting to do kind of a home portable SFF build to use some of the extra parts I have lying around. The kind of thing you could move around the house a few times a week but nothing you'd ever actually want to travel with or use like a laptop. I know this would be incredibly easy with one of those tiny intel/nvidia all-in-one pcs slapped onto the back of a monitor but I wanna be able to use some of my desktop parts. Maybe a SFF with a handle that's attached to a monitor and setup to only use one power cable like a lovely looking bulky imac?

I'm kinda sorta doing that, because I'm building a backpack-worn SFF with VR headset. So that's a monitor in a way. But there's some $100 portable monitors, I might pick one of these up for when I'm trying to configue VR on the desktop and it's not working inside the headset for whatever reason: https://amazon.com/ZSCMALLS-Portable-Computer-Nintendo-Raspberry/dp/B07VFF4TZG

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 24, 2020

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Been meaning to update the thread. I got a Sugo 14 and what a joy that thing has been to build in. Having the ability to take off all 4 panels has been :kiss:. I originally moved my i7 z97 system into the case before that got yanked out and put into a Sugo 13 for my niece. I currently have a Ryzen 3600 b450 itx system. It fits well in my entertainment center and every time I have to work on it it’s been easy mode.

I know Ali didn’t care for the case and he raised solid points but if you need something to fit in an entertainment center I feel the NR200 will be too tall and I don’t think it can be laid on its side. In this niche case I feel the Sugo was the best fit for my needs.

FuzzySlippers posted:

CHIEFTEC BRAVO Series BL-01B-OP Black Computer Case https://www.newegg.com/black-chieft...-030-_-11242020

Also DIY Perks on YouTube took a laptop, slapped the motherboard on the back of a monitor and made an all in one. I’m sure you can some ideas from the techniques he used.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 24, 2020

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

FuzzySlippers posted:

Your best bet would be to get a tall stand up sff case like a Node 202 or Sliger Console and attaching a monitor to the case standing up. I was messing around with a similar idea years ago and I managed to find some companies that made empty all in ones with the monitor attached. Sadly on googling them, it looks like most of the projects are dead, but Crate still has stock of their case (if you have a bunch of cash to burn) https://cratecomputers.com/products/crate-computer-case

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Could someone explain this glorious thing to me?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X79-Lite-Intel-chipset-C602-dual-socket-LGA2011-motherboard-Xeon-E5-2600-v1-v2/164140349528

Dual Xeons, two PCI 3 x 16 slots, and it's 8.5" x 11" like a piece of paper?

What the hell is that and how have I never heard of it?

The answer is a Chinese special--they make some weird as gently caress stuff over there, particularly for older CPUs. I'm not sure how wise a buy it is, given that each socket only has two RAM slots and they're 100% guaranteed to have cut corners everywhere they could. Especially when for only a few bucks more ($30 shipping, after all) you could get a dual-socket Supermicro that you know was designed well.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

DrDork posted:

The answer is a Chinese special--they make some weird as gently caress stuff over there, particularly for older CPUs. I'm not sure how wise a buy it is, given that each socket only has two RAM slots and they're 100% guaranteed to have cut corners everywhere they could. Especially when for only a few bucks more ($30 shipping, after all) you could get a dual-socket Supermicro that you know was designed well.

You got a super micro board you would recommend in this case?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

DrDork posted:

It there even a name for those motherboard dimensions? They're calling it "compact ATX" but I think that's made up. Considering how many things there are for VGA, I assume there's gotta be an ATX spec that matches 278mm x 215mm

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

That Chieftec Bravo case is super obscure. Seems only still sold in one place with not much chatter about it. You have any experience?

Romes128 posted:

Your best bet would be to get a tall stand up sff case like a Node 202 or Sliger Console and attaching a monitor to the case standing up. I was messing around with a similar idea years ago and I managed to find some companies that made empty all in ones with the monitor attached. Sadly on googling them, it looks like most of the projects are dead, but Crate still has stock of their case (if you have a bunch of cash to burn) https://cratecomputers.com/products/crate-computer-case

Yeah I had thought about a Node 202 with something like this bolted to the side. Not sure how steady it would be but I could attach a wide flat foot to it.

The really nutty option would be a briefcase mod which would be an interesting project.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Coredump posted:

You got a super micro board you would recommend in this case?

If you really have a need for dual E5-26xx v2's, get the SuperMicro X9D series. Obviously you'd be buying used instead of new, but there are always great deals you can get. This X9DR3-LN4F+ for example, is $150 for a dual-socket, 24-RAM slot, 4x PCIe 3.0 x16 slot board with dual E5-2630's with heatsinks already on there. It's also obviously large (eATX, so ~13"x13"), but what can you do?

I mean, don't get me wrong, the crazy China-boards are sometimes good options if you really want a new-production board for some reason, the used market is utterly terrible, or because they did something that even ASRock wouldn't be crazy enough to do, like this thing. But if you just need standard(ish) old server stuff, eBay has a tooooon of high quality parts selling for super cheap most of the time.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 24, 2020

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

DrDork posted:

If you really have a need for dual E5-26xx v2's, get the SuperMicro X9D series. Obviously you'd be buying used instead of new, but there are always great deals you can get. This X9DR3-LN4F+ for example, is $150 for a dual-socket, 24-RAM slot, 4x PCIe 3.0 x16 slot board with dual E5-2630's with heatsinks already on there. It's also obviously large (eATX, so ~13"x13"), but what can you do?

I mean, don't get me wrong, the crazy China-boards are sometimes good options if you really want a new-production board for some reason, the used market is utterly terrible, or because they did something that even ASRock wouldn't be crazy enough to do, like this thing. But if you just need standard(ish) old server stuff, eBay has a tooooon of high quality parts selling for super cheap most of the time.

Awesome, thank you. I'm already looking at cases to throw something like that in.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nyV4J1n7YQ

Here's a useful video for anyone building in the nr200 and having trouble with cable management.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Machines and More's channel should just be called "NR200". Not knocking the guy, he's literally my go to regarding my future build and seems very cool to boot.

Now, to get my hands on a 5900x and 3080 or 3080ti... well, within the next 5 months.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Yeah, it's a weird situation where that dude's youtube channel seems to exist solely to produce NR200 content.

Glad that everybody is getting value from those :)

denereal visease posted:

Depending on how much time you have, it looks like this dude has tested the NR200 pretty exhaustively. No idea who he is or why he's so horny for the NR200, but there ya go.

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 24, 2020

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I think I just found the motherboard of my dreams for my backpack VR pc:

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-rack-x570d4i-2t-amd-ryzen-3rd-generation-series-processors/p/N82E16813140045

It takes 4 sticks of laptop ram, and seems to use the "12 volt only" standard, so that I don't have to gently caress around with a Pico PSU, I can just use my 36v to 12v 500w dc-dc converter with no additional futzing.

The only catch is that it says it only supports 3000-series Ryzen. Would something like this with an x570 chipset definitely be getting a BIOS update to use the 5000-series, or can ASRock weasel out of it because its a "server" board? I thought they're usually good about bios updates to use stuff.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Zero VGS posted:

I think I just found the motherboard of my dreams for my backpack VR pc:

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-rack-x570d4i-2t-amd-ryzen-3rd-generation-series-processors/p/N82E16813140045

It takes 4 sticks of laptop ram, and seems to use the "12 volt only" standard, so that I don't have to gently caress around with a Pico PSU, I can just use my 36v to 12v 500w dc-dc converter with no additional futzing.

The only catch is that it says it only supports 3000-series Ryzen. Would something like this with an x570 chipset definitely be getting a BIOS update to use the 5000-series, or can ASRock weasel out of it because its a "server" board? I thought they're usually good about bios updates to use stuff.

Looks like there's a beta bios with Zen3 support already; https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4I-2T#Download

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

loving :bisonyes:

Thank you, just ordered it. This is gonna be the most spec-dense ITX of all time. Zen3 and RTX 3080 in 12"x12"x2"

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Zero VGS posted:

loving :bisonyes:

Thank you, just ordered it. This is gonna be the most spec-dense ITX of all time. Zen3 and RTX 3080 in 12"x12"x2"

Why this board and not a regular consumer grade board? The only benefit I see are 4 ram slots vs 2. (And the extra credit benefit of looking like a plain ol pc component instead of some goofy branded gaming device) It's also a lot more expensive. Why not just get 2 denser ram sticks instead?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

buglord posted:

Why this board and not a regular consumer grade board? The only benefit I see are 4 ram slots vs 2. (And the extra credit benefit of looking like a plain ol pc component instead of some goofy branded gaming device) It's also a lot more expensive. Why not just get 2 denser ram sticks instead?

12v 8-pin input instead of the normal 24-pin motherboard power connector, which is easier for his special snowflake backpack idea.

Otherwise there's no real reason to buy something like that when boards like the ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 exist for about 1/3 the price. The price difference means he probably could buy a pico PSU and still end up cheaper, but that's more hardware to carry around.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

FuzzySlippers posted:

That Chieftec Bravo case is super obscure. Seems only still sold in one place with not much chatter about it. You have any experience?

Yeah I had thought about a Node 202 with something like this bolted to the side. Not sure how steady it would be but I could attach a wide flat foot to it.

The really nutty option would be a briefcase mod which would be an interesting project.

You'd probably want to go with something more vented like the Sliger. With the Node 202 you'd be covering either the CPU intake or the GPU intake (they're on opposite sides of the case). Thermals are already bad on the 202 without blocking either of those.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DrDork posted:

12v 8-pin input instead of the normal 24-pin motherboard power connector, which is easier for his special snowflake backpack idea.

Otherwise there's no real reason to buy something like that when boards like the ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 exist for about 1/3 the price. The price difference means he probably could buy a pico PSU and still end up cheaper, but that's more hardware to carry around.

Loving this vague hostility for someone just trying to do a fun project.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

ijyt posted:

Loving this vague hostility for someone just trying to do a fun project.

No hostility at all. He's just embarking on a very, very specific project that is way outside the realm of what most would even consider--and good for him. I think it's a cool idea, given that (presumably) the GPU power available in a laptop + wireless HMD is insufficient for what he wants to do.

But yeah, other than the ease of managing power input (which is legit something to consider when you're strapping it all to your back), as a $400+ board that one struggles to find much reason to exist considering the other much cheaper alternatives already out there.

e; or really need onboard 10GbE in a mITX format, but can't/don't want to use a TB adapter, which is...uh...gonna be a very specialized need. Which, I suppose, is why it's a $400+ board--likely super low volume, so high cost amortization.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 25, 2020

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Romes128 posted:

You'd probably want to go with something more vented like the Sliger. With the Node 202 you'd be covering either the CPU intake or the GPU intake (they're on opposite sides of the case). Thermals are already bad on the 202 without blocking either of those.

I'm being fairly budget minded since this is an extra machine and the 202 is about half the price of Sliger. Is it worth the price difference? I see people on reddit enthusiastically recommending the Sliger but just trying to figure out how significant is the difference.

I'd rather put the money saved towards a gpu though I'm definitely not putting in anything beefy so that should give me extra cooling headroom. Max would be a 2060 but hoping to scope something on sale this week and may end up with more like a 1660.

edit: I'm also going with just an nvme ssd so that + low profile ram + whatever the smallest psu I can get away with and hopefully I can minimize my space usage in the case.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm being fairly budget minded since this is an extra machine and the 202 is about half the price of Sliger. Is it worth the price difference? I see people on reddit enthusiastically recommending the Sliger but just trying to figure out how significant is the difference.

I'd rather put the money saved towards a gpu though I'm definitely not putting in anything beefy it so that should give me extra cooling headroom. Max would be a 2060 but hoping to scope something on sale this week and may end up with more like a 1660.

Low to mid range components should be fine in a 202.

I hope you go through with the project since I looked into doing something similar years ago but never went through with it. I do have a Node 202 with a 6600k and gtx 1070 in my living room but if I spend any more money on computer stuff for like the next year my s/o might kill me in my sleep.