Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

endlessmonotony posted:

I've seen plenty of human blood spilled, and ox blood too. And way more pig's blood than either.

None of them are anywhere close.

If you want to write with blood, go out and buy a bottle. Pig's blood is neither rare nor expensive.

Looks a lot like low oxygen blood to me :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
From the swabs and stuff, it just looks like Noodler's Red-Black to me. I don't really see why people lose their heads over it.

For browns I'll also suggest Herbin's Cafe des Iles — it's a bit darker than Lie de The (or maybe it was the other way around?) Either way, they're both pretty nice.

Tsukushi is nice, but if you're not using nice paper it's just going to be very flat and dark and not terribly interesting. (This may be colored by the fact that the cheap paper I have laying around seems to just hate pilot inks for whatever reason.)

Speaking of paper, what's the current favorite for good value? I think I'd like loose sheets, but a notepad would be fine too, ideally in letter/A4-ish size.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Xun posted:

Goon ink-blindness.

Which does makes me notice how bad I'm at describing the way blood looks without using words that are defined by the way blood looks. Oxblood's oxblood leather with a hint of something that my brain says is "copper" but I don't see how. It looks like imitation oxblood leather, the real stuff is noted for never quite being the same from one piece to the other.

Fresh blood has its very distinct texture that would be genuinely impressive to get an ink to replicate and I can't see how you're doing that without glossy acrylic or something that smears like crazy.

Dried blood meanwhile is familiar to over half the population so that one's easy, but it's not exactly an attractive color.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Xun posted:

I don't know if it's an issue with the photo of a swab, the way it shows up on my monitor, some weird paper issue, or I if I have a bad bottle of ink. Because my bottle looks most similar to the darker end of the swab, and just a shade darker, all the time. I never see any of the brighter red at the bottom.

Or maybe I just have bad eyes.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Chip McFuck posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for a rich, warm, brown ink? Feel like switching up from my usual greens, blues, and blacks.

I like Montblanc Toffee Brown and the previously mentioned Tsukushi.

Edit: Toffee Brown while it is a Montblanc ink it is one of their core inks and is fairly reasonably priced compared to say their limited edition inks.

The Electronaut fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 18, 2020

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

Chip McFuck posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for a rich, warm, brown ink? Feel like switching up from my usual greens, blues, and blacks.

monteverde brown sugar or copper noir

re: oxblood are all of you suffering from some degree of color blindness?? if it's not red what color is it?? is it green?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Pioneer42 posted:

I don't know if it's an issue with the photo of a swab, the way it shows up on my monitor, some weird paper issue, or I if I have a bad bottle of ink. Because my bottle looks most similar to the darker end of the swab, and just a shade darker, all the time. I never see any of the brighter red at the bottom.

Or maybe I just have bad eyes.

The photo's taken under very bright light.

Also the light for the blood vials isn't great.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Wow, thanks for all the brown ink recommendations everyone! The KWZ Honey, Montblanc Toffee Brown, Monteverde Brown Sugar, and the Jupiter Flyby all look amazing. Someone else clued me into the Robert Oster Toffee as well so I'm gonna have to sit down and think hard about this.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I like Toffee Brown because someone gave me a free bottle when his wife got mad that he bought too many bottles of ink.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

from experience Diamine Ancient Copper is more of an orange or brown than red

but it'll definitely make a Moonman C2 look like it's been filled with blood.

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

Zenostein posted:

Speaking of paper, what's the current favorite for good value? I think I'd like loose sheets, but a notepad would be fine too, ideally in letter/A4-ish size.

i like midori https://www.jetpens.com/Paper/ct/1320?&f=084f965e68f617ef

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Zenostein posted:

I use Clairfontaine Triomphe but depending on where you are that could be expensive.

Kierena
Oct 15, 2010
It’s getting close to thanksgiving, any word on if we’re still doing fountain pen secret Santa this year? I’m just trying to get my holiday purchase list in order.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
I think with covid and the lackluster performance last year people were talking about skipping secret santa this year.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Pixelante usually runs it, send her a PM?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Kierena posted:

It’s getting close to thanksgiving, any word on if we’re still doing fountain pen secret Santa this year? I’m just trying to get my holiday purchase list in order.

We got multiple deadbeats last year, so I'm taking a pass on running it again. Instead, I refer you to the regular SA Secret Santa, or for something more casual try the Year-Round Card Exchange. Both are fun as hell.

If someone else wants to pick up the torch and run a Fountain Pen SASS, you have my blessing.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Pixelante posted:

something more casual try the Year-Round Card Exchange. Both are fun as hell.

I can vouch for the snail mail exchange, that is going strong now for about a decade.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Well, after doing some extra "nib work" this month, I've been able to purchase another Delta. Man, that was some difficult "nib work".

*surreptitiously wipes off the last bit of lipstick*

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

grack posted:

*surreptitiously wipes off the last bit of lipstick*
off the nib I hope?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Sure, why not.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Guys have any blank journal notebooks to recommend? I've been browsing Amazon, Goulet, etc. and am kinda lost. Lined would probably be better for my horrific handwriting, one of the leather-bound ones would be cool. But I'm open to suggestions.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What's your budget?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

There is a bit of a range.

For your basic notebook, I find the leuchtturm 1917 really serviceable, and I believe is available on Amazon and Goulet. This is a solid notebook if you are looking for something utilitarian.

Moo.com sells these for $20 each and are quite fountain pen friendly. They are only lined, however.

Baron Fig also sells an affordable notebook, though I find the paper slightly . . . scratchy or toothy? But it takes FP ink well enough.

Then you jump up a tier into the world of paper like Tomoe river, and you have to start looking for independent notebook makers. This paper is really thin but takes the ink very well, though I understand there have been recent production changes that I have yet to see. I believe Goulet sells some notebooks with this paper in there.

There is also the notebooks at Nanami Paper which give you a lot of bang for your buck, but are pretty minimal in presentation.

Taroko makes good notebooks as well, when they are open.

I've played around with the Hippo Noto's first edition, and wasn't a fan of the build quality at the time, but they are one of the few places that use 68gsm Tomoe river paper in their notebooks, which gives it a different feel.

Or if you want something really well crafted but pricey, a goon here helps with Musubi. These are really good and go to a good cause.

Rhodia, Clair Fontaine, and a few other paper makers are also good, though I find I prefer Tomoe River for personal journals and the Leuchtturm for daily stuff. These are all with the assumption that you are looking for FP friendly notebooks, since not all paper takes the ink well.

Max fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 23, 2020

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
A few other ideas: The Stalogy brand of notebooks are also fountain pen friendly using thin paper that isn't Tomoe River but behaves similar. They come in sizes a little harder to find like B6 as well as the usual A-series of sizes.

I use Black n Red notebooks at work, and they're also pretty solid. Paper is thick & doesn't bleed or feather much.

It really all depends on your budget and use case. Journal? Bujo? Work notes? Etc.

Edit: get a nice leather/fabric cover in a common size (like A5) and you can use any notebook you settle on!

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

a mysterious cloak posted:

Guys have any blank journal notebooks to recommend? I've been browsing Amazon, Goulet, etc. and am kinda lost. Lined would probably be better for my horrific handwriting, one of the leather-bound ones would be cool. But I'm open to suggestions.

depends on your budget but i recced midori before here they are again https://www.jetpens.com/Journals/ct/1656?&f=084f965e68f617ef :) if you like leather traveler's notebooks https://travelerscompanyusa.com/ are trendy right now and they have whatever kind of insert you want that typically take fountain pen well

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

My personal favorite for notebooks is paperblanks: https://www.paperblanks.com/en/
The paper takes fountainpen well, the paper is either lined, gridded, blank or musical lined. The covers are sturdy and intrinsic, come in a ton of sizes and thicker ones sometimes have patterns on the side of the paper. Be careful to get one that only has an elastic band, the metal clasps are annoying and destroy everything in your bag but some people love them. Also the formats are weird but I found "Ultra" to be close to A5 and a really nice book size. Currently on my fourth, I use these for work, and I have a few waiting to be written in.
This one I use daily: https://www.paperblanks.com/en/product/journals/midnight-steel/pb3518-3
This one is shelved, waiting to be used: https://www.paperblanks.com/en/product/journals/astra/pb3492-6

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I'm a big fan of Clairefontaine spiral bounds. Use those for my work notes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I use spiral bound A5 Rhodia notepads for doodles important work notes, and then I use whatever catches my fancy for fun writing

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Spiral bound Rhodia is my go-to workhorse. I like A4, but I like plenty of space on the page. For an A5 purse notebook, Leuchtturm 1917 has been my ride-or-die choice since my very first. Ribbon, pouch on the inside back cover, page numbers, index in the front, and comes with free stickers.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

+1 for Stalogy notebooks. Their paper is nice and thin while still being fountain pen friendly, and I like the light grey grid. It's dark enough to help keep your writing nice and neat but light enough to fade into the background when reading it back.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Heath posted:

What's your budget?

Ahh poo poo, didn't think about it. I'm not paying $100 for one, that's about it. It'll be for journalling and maybe one for creative writing if I ever have another decent idea.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll look them over.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 23, 2020

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I have an issue with my pen and can't figure out how to fix it. Basically the barrel of the pen has come loose and now spins freely around the polished metal piece where the nib and reservoir screw in. I figured I could pull the barrel off and reglue, but I cannot get it off and I'm afraid of damaging it. The free spin of the barrel makes it difficult to unscrew the cap :(

Do I just yank the barrel off?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Ahh poo poo, didn't think about it. I'm not paying $100 for one, that's about it. It'll be for journalling and maybe one for creative writing if I ever have another decent idea.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll look them over.

Leuchtturm A5s are 20 bux, don't overthink it.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

I can't believe no one suggested Musubi, which is a goon company. Personally, I haven't bought one yet because I would be absolutely paralyzed about letting my messy thoughts touch such beautiful pages.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Pixelante posted:

I can't believe no one suggested Musubi, which is a goon company.

I did!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Musubi stuff is great. I went through one journal, then picked up the pen case when that came out. At this point I'm just waiting for the journal covers to come out, because such heirloom-quality covers deserve to keep being used after filling up one journal's worth of writing

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Max posted:

I did!

Oops, sorry dude! You posted a really good list.

404notfound posted:

Musubi stuff is great. I went through one journal, then picked up the pen case when that came out. At this point I'm just waiting for the journal covers to come out, because such heirloom-quality covers deserve to keep being used after filling up one journal's worth of writing

Same. It would help with my paralysis if I knew I could reuse the cover.

e: Musubi artisans have disabilities, so it's a social enterprise as well as a business.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 23, 2020

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Pixelante posted:

I can't believe no one suggested Musubi, which is a goon company. Personally, I haven't bought one yet because I would be absolutely paralyzed about letting my messy thoughts touch such beautiful pages.

They only haven't because I haven't posted yet :colbert:

But yes, Musubi stuff is top tier, goon-run and helps out its artisans. They're higher cost but if you have something really special you want to put down that's the way to go about it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Well then, I spent a rather sizable sum (well, for me) on Diamine bottles because who knows when the Brexit mess will make shipping a possibility again.

I have enough ink for two years. Let's hope it's enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I have an issue with my pen and can't figure out how to fix it. Basically the barrel of the pen has come loose and now spins freely around the polished metal piece where the nib and reservoir screw in. I figured I could pull the barrel off and reglue, but I cannot get it off and I'm afraid of damaging it. The free spin of the barrel makes it difficult to unscrew the cap :(

Do I just yank the barrel off?

No, your pen looks like it has a brass piece holding the barrel on. Probably your best bet is to get some ultra low-viscosity glue (there are several wood glues like this), and stream it down a needle in to the gap between the barrel and overlay.