Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Look out, Itchy! He's Irish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I don't know why they keep making episodes about other parts of the world. The jokes are either completely incomprehensible, or rely on stereotypes that were outdated before the show began

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Simpsons as a whole is and always has been built on stereotypes that were outdated before the show began

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

womb with a view posted:

I don't know why they keep making episodes about other parts of the world. The jokes are either completely incomprehensible, or rely on stereotypes that were outdated before the show began

In the new episodes if they go somewhere, they can spend half the episode having Lisa read the Wikipedia entry for the place, and then riff some lazy joke on those facts.

VVV that too

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

womb with a view posted:

You can fill them with celebrity cameos and pop culture references, which is easier than writing actual jokes.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

PostNouveau posted:

The Japan one was pretty awful

It’s not a great ep, the slide was picking up speed by that point but there were some ok moments. But compared with the King of the Hill ep in Japan it’s got nothing.

Is anyone else annoyed by comedians bragging about writing for the Simpsons, when their tenure was entirely during garbage seasons? It’s like watching footage of the NY Jets winning the super bowl in 1968 and someone bragging they coach that team in 2020.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bitterandtwisted posted:

You can fill them with celebrity cameos and pop culture references, which is easier than writing actual jokes.

I suspect there's an international uptick about those episodes too because sempai noticed them

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

J-Spot posted:

The one where they go to Jerusalem is considered particularly bad by the die-hard fans, although I can't really remember anything that happened in it. I've always really hated the Brazil one.

They actually go to Jerusalem? West Bank episode when

This has gone on long enough, Intifada against the Simpsons now

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

runnypoops posted:

bart misbehaves allot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXKoiJrEUtI

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Hyrax Attack! posted:

But compared with the King of the Hill ep in Japan it’s got nothing.

Junichiro Hill is the second best character in the show, how dare you

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Code Jockey posted:

Junichiro Hill is the second best character in the show, how dare you

I meant the king of the hill ep is fantastic, agreed Junichiro is top tier. He was abrupt with an elderly woman.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

I vaguely remember Bart shouting "karate!" and an Israeli girl shouting "krav maga!" which was pretty bad.

When I watched that scene episode, it was one of the first new episodes I had seen in years, and I recall actively getting mad at it. The entire scene felt so aggressively unfunny, and so forced by the writers for unclear reasons that it got me mad at a cartoon.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

J-Spot posted:

The one where they go to Jerusalem is considered particularly bad by the die-hard fans, although I can't really remember anything that happened in it. I've always really hated the Brazil one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28qIRpa1kMA

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Everytime someone references some embarrassing scene I tell myself to not look it up and then someone posts it and I tell myself to not watch.

I always watch and it’s always somehow worse than I thought.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Does Bart know karate now? Also, why do they say anything?

I'm mad at myself for watching this.

edit:

WeaponX posted:

Everytime someone references some embarrassing scene I tell myself to not look it up and then someone posts it and I tell myself to not watch.

I always watch and it’s always somehow worse than I thought.

Yup. :smith::hf::smith:

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I haven't rewatched the Simpsons in a while, and didn't see the Godfather until recently and holy poo poo that horse head spoof is so loving funny.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Robot Episode 2: Lisa becomes increasingly ill from eating the fruit of the sun as well as the sun's fruit. It's explained in flashback, but Bart's argument at the end that she had to do this simply for survival is the actual explanation. Bart starts eating the sun while he is trying to find a way to get to the island.

This reads like an indigenous creation myth roughly translated into English by a graduate student working from a transcription of the last native speaker of its original language, but the grad student didn't have enough cultural context to make it make any sense.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
still better than the actual joke

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's a two-year-old joke with 0 likes

Stop, he's already dead

nah
Mar 16, 2009

That krava maga scene wasn’t nearly as bad I expected. I guess the fact that it exists at all is what makes it so bad

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What, they don't have that italian lady jump in and start wailing on them both yelling VENDETTA! VENDETTA!

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

The Moon Monster posted:

What's the worst "Simpsons go to a place" episode anyway? Italy was singularly terrible, but Boston was ridiculously boring and Bart's weird obsession with "southies" really bugged me.

The Africa one is still the worst to me just a bunch of stuff thrown together to make 22 mins.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Data Graham posted:

What, they don't have that italian lady jump in and start wailing on them both yelling VENDETTA! VENDETTA!

Wasn't it the kid who did that?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hell if I know, I'm not looking it up

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

YeahTubaMike posted:

It was, and I hate that I can confirm this.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

YeahTubaMike posted:

You know, it's weird. That was the joke that sank that episode for me.

I know the whole thing was terrible: Simpsons go to [Italy]. Sideshow bob again, Someone has to explain the joke about Krusty not knowing what naples is called.

But up until that point, the sideshow bob parts were pretty fun? And then somehow "VENDETTA VENDETTA VENDETTA" reminded me that the writers couldn't land a punchline anymore, and fraiser couldn't save this trash.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

J-Spot posted:

The Brazil episode is bad but there's a couple moments that I remember as being funny, like the overly sweet fruit juice or the jokes about the horny kids' shows. The Jerusalem one is white noise throughout.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

IBroughttheFunk posted:

It was, and I hate that I can confirm this.

ikanreed posted:

You know, it's weird. That was the joke that sank that episode for me.

I probably wouldn't have remembered if that hadn't been the episode that finally convinced me to stop watching.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

The Croc posted:

The Africa one is still the worst to me just a bunch of stuff thrown together to make 22 mins.

I remember being amused by the bush baby throwaway joke and annoyed by pretty much the rest of the episode

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
"A bloodless coup, all smotherings" was a last gasp of decent joke writing and delivery too.

But god did it have some garbage new simpsons 'humor' in it, like literally every single thing homer did in the entire episode.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Is the same person who keeps replying to their Twitter posts with ninja fanfiction edits?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

YeahTubaMike posted:

Does Bart know karate now? Also, why do they say anything?

Bart knows the touch of death.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

eleven extra elephants posted:

Is the same person who keeps replying to their Twitter posts with ninja fanfiction edits?

Yes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pretty forgettable episode. Comic Book Guy goes to Comic-con, which is a bunch of uninspired jokes about fandom. He asks a bad question and gets humiliated and loses his mojo, but gets it back by mocking Ralph.

Lisa gets duped into losing her chair challenge in the band to a new kid in school she's attracted to who's leading her on just to steal her chair. She just kinda gets over it by playing for free in the mall.

Bart gets a job as a voice actor but is dismayed to find out when the show airs that he voices a woman. This works bizarrely poorly because Nancy Cartwright's impression of Bart voicing a woman is pretty masculine. Bart feels better when his character turns out to be a murder machine.

Paul Rudd had a cameo. You'd think Lisa's love interest would be a famous person, but the only notable thing about the guest star is he was Evan Hansen on Broadway.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

PostNouveau posted:

Lisa gets duped into losing her chair challenge in the band to a new kid in school she's attracted to who's leading her on just to steal her chair. She just kinda gets over it by playing for free in the mall.

Every new Simpsons subplot is the worst subplot, but every Lisa subplot is somehow even worse.

Every loving one is "Lisa wants to be the best but can't" or "Lisa falls for someone she shouldn't". This is somehow both.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

PostNouveau posted:

Pretty forgettable episode. Comic Book Guy goes to Comic-con, which is a bunch of uninspired jokes about fandom. He asks a bad question and gets humiliated and loses his mojo, but gets it back by mocking Ralph.

Bart gets a job as a voice actor but is dismayed to find out when the show airs that he voices a woman. This works bizarrely poorly because Nancy Cartwright's impression of Bart voicing a woman is pretty masculine. Bart feels better when his character turns out to be a murder machine.

Paul Rudd had a cameo. You'd think Lisa's love interest would be a famous person, but the only notable thing about the guest star is he was Evan Hansen on Broadway.

God drat, how many disconnected plots do they need?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

PostNouveau posted:

What a satisfying plot resolution that must be. :allears:

quote:

Bart gets a job as a voice actor but is dismayed to find out when the show airs that he voices a woman. This works bizarrely poorly because Nancy Cartwright's impression of Bart voicing a woman is pretty masculine.

I would think that the masculinity of Bart's woman voice would be part, if not most, of the joke.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pennsylvanian posted:

God drat, how many disconnected plots do they need?

The Bart plot is kinda connected to the Comic Book Guy plot. The dude who comes in to run the comic book shop while Comic Book Guy is in San Diego is a voice actor who discovers Bart's talent for voices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

bandaid.friend posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI12YxqWp0A

Looks like the Simpsons went to Cuba to get care for Grandpa, much like when the Simpsons went to Canada to get drugs for Grandpa, and the time the Simpsons went to Denmark to get healthcare for Grandpa

Alright, spray-painting The Bart was funny.