Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

Jeez...CIG half-assed everything about this big annual event. They didn’t have to plan a Citcon. Didn’t have to have a huge multi-office livestream. And even so, they phoned in their ship commercials and just slapped a Free Fly on a crap patch because “muh celebration!”

Are we breaking sales records yet?

We're actually in a pretty unique situation where Shitizens would've been indoctrinated for the majority of the pandemic, and now that they have a chance to spend, especially the fact that the Idris and Javelins are available for purchase, they will.

Its a 2 week sale, I'm expecting at least a cool 10-20m.

e:

Buy an Idris!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Im really enjoying these dramatic retelling of peoples' adventures in the nightmare hellscape of Silent Hill Citizen, it reminds me of the last time I tried to "play" this dumpsterfire. I managed to make it down to the lobby of the wankpalace, summon a working ship, then get trapped in the hanger because nothing tells you to press F11 for tower coms. After finally figuring that out, I managed to actually have a super boring flight out to one of the lovely worthless moons and eventually die of exposure somehow in my spacesuit.
Fuckin rad.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://v.redd.it/ba6jgtk94v061/DASH_1080.mp4

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

no_recall posted:

We're actually in a pretty unique situation where Shitizens would've been indoctrinated for the majority of the pandemic, and now that they have a chance to spend, especially the fact that the Idris and Javelins are available for purchase, they will.

Its a 2 week sale, I'm expecting at least a cool 10-20m.

Interestingly, based on my viewing of the subreddit for the last 24 hours, it seems like the "New Cash Only" Idrises are selling out really slowly compared to prior years. The "Store Credit" versions are getting snapped up in seconds still, but the (more expensive) new cash versions seem to be taking 15+ minutes to sell out. For any other company I'd say this was a pretty bad sign, but this is Star Citizen and they're still basically netting a few hundred thousand dollars in minutes for literally no effort so whatever.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Also: Elite Dangerous is now free until November 26th
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/elite-dangerous/home

:lol::lol::lol:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Blue On Blue posted:

I hate my life

Please don't, we like your poo poo postings.

Please don't hate your live .... no respawn, just make your life better.

Oh, you played Star Citizen ... I'm sorry.

Just poo poo post.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

no_recall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9OAuViakOc

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/iae2950

ITS RAFFLE TIME!
ENTRIES WILL END WHEN THIS COUNTDOWN HITS 0.
https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20201119T00&p0=24&msg=Star+Citizen+IAE+2950&font=slab

To enter:
- You must be a Platinum Account holder. For PMs.
- You must quote this post.

What's your guess on the funding tracker sheet at the end of IAE 2950?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207
Current Pledge Amount
$317,425,743

GOOD LUCK FOLKS.
Grand Prize - A Humble (Steam Key) Copy of Cyberpunk 2077.
Consolation Prizes - 3 Humble Monthies.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Blue On Blue posted:

I hate my life so decided to try this free-fly and see what is new and exciting in the broken brain of Chris Roberts

My system specs for comparison;

3900X 12 Core
32GB DDR4
2080 Super
1TB NVMe

First, navigating their website and trying to find the magic button you push to download is infuriating, of course every page is plastered with 'BUY NOW' signs everywhere, it is clear where they spent the majority of their web dev time

Download took 30 minutes on a 1GB connection, but probably 15-20 minutes just finding out HOW to download the game

First load, seemed quick enough... the character creation screen is very obtuse and doesn't tell you poo poo about what is going on .. why do i have two faces now and why am i blending them?

Loading into the game proper seems to be taking awhile, I've tabbed out to start this post while waiting

~ 6 minutes later ....

Oh , I'm in bed, and staring at my massive chest for some reason.

I've been reading the thread so I already knew, but the tool tip also said press Y to stand up... up why not

Looking around everything is the highest resolution, but incredibly lifeless at the same time. Most things cannot be interacted with, I enter what I think is the worlds smallest water closet, the mirror is glass but you can't see yourself in it.

There is an open/close knob on the wall that while interactable doesn't seem to do anything but I can see a shadow moving around when I press it... I think that's the door closing but not visible to my eyes

The walls and lights are flickering for some reason, really bad texture fighting even in this single room

I can open the dish washer... and sit at the desk. All pointless aside from staring at the wall

The whole room is very noisy, it sounds like a massive washing machine is full of ball bearings just outside the door

I go into the hall using the inner voice thingy... now I turn around and the door to my pod says 'close' and I'm unable to go back inside. Groovy guess I have to explore now

An NPC is standing at a vending machine down the corridor... doing nothing. Oh wait nevermind they just blinked out of existence before my eyes

Elevator with 6 floors and 'ground' , no idea where I'm supposed to go or any direction

Other than the textures flashing past on the walls , there is almost no way to tell you're actually USING the elevator... it just exists.

Suddenly the door opens and... more bland corridors and lifeless NPCs

I see a kiosk for something and try to login, I get stuck in a page I cannot click out of... eventually I'm jittering around 'inside' the kiosk screen and try pressing jump a bunch before I'm launched , SPIT out of the machine and back onto the floor

Now i see a burrito stand.. ok lets try this out

Buy a burrito , trying to eat it says I need to remove my helmet.. ok go into the glass thing, navigate the 500 pages of options and remove my helmet. close mobi glass

Still can't eat the burrito... turns out removing the helmet doesn't take unless you click save and accept. OK! very intuitative

Now I can eat my burrito. Soon I hope to be able to shart my pants

I am outside a bazaar or market, and while I get the look they're going for with neon signs and stuff, it's again just so contrived and lifeless. Nothing says 'lived in' it just looks computer moduled and fabricated

An NPC is clipped inside some sort of kisok display screen, he seems to not notice

Wandering around endless corridors and they all look the same, I finally stumble upon a door that says 'convention centre' and its closed... for development. Much like the rest of the game I suppose

Oh a door for what looks like the space-train? to area 18 spaceport, exciting!

i wait behind glass doors overlooking vast emptiness, with zero other players or even NPCs, they really made this place look alive. The train glides in without a sound and i get on the completely empty car

as we move off from the station I understand why they put the trains in... so Chris could show off his hand built city to everyone. That's literally the only reason they're in the game. So you're forced to watch his great achievement flash past the windows

We cut off another space craft which looks like it consists of all of 5 polys, before gliding into the space port train... dock

All the NPC's are standing on chairs now, there are 10 of them at the space port area and every single one is standing on a chair. Cool

I find the kiosk for ships and select one I guess I was given for the free-fly... find the elevator and goto hanger 3... ok I'm getting the hang of this poo poo!!

Now things are happening fast, I find the door to my ship and hop in, I get in the pilots seat, WOW ok sweat is forming. Now I turn on the engine. And for some reason my weapons are overheating and I need to let them cool down. HOW THE gently caress do i call ATC to get out of here?

I type my only chat message to try and find out 'HOW THE FLYING gently caress DO I CALL ATC'

Ok, calm down. There it is, F11, look for ATC. Perfect

Ok the hanger door is opening... time to climb out. Ok this little ship has some torque.

Now I can look around, the planet is big, frames are stopping to get choppy though.

I can spin around, let's go look over here. Wait whats this, red text telling me a restricted area... below? Above? infront.... to my left! oh ... now I can't do anything. Controls are dead.

Hmm... What's that sound? oh, the sound of my ship exploding in a bright blue flash, literally 5 feet from the hanger doors. Because of reasons?

Well folks, that is my experience after waiting 8 years to play this master peice, I hope you had as much fun as I did! I had about 30 seconds of 'gameplay' if we want to call it that, and a good hour of banging my head against the wall at every single step.

I'm gonna go pledge now

I hope you realize you had the fullest and most high fidelity SC experience possible. It worked for you, that’s the, uh, game.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Star Citizen funding passes 60,000,000 USD in 2020!

quote:

wtf is wrong with us

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Its just so strange, Star Citizen is becoming less and less relevant. It's hardly ever mentioned in gaming media, it's only ever referenced as a joke in gaming discussion groups, even their own forum Specturm is pretty low traffic. Yet year after year they rake in 10's of millions of dollars. It's like there is just this huge silent group of Citizens out there who don't really do anything but purchase ships.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Thoatse posted:

Sea kelp? On pizza? Dude WTF is wrong with you

hell yeah konbu pizza

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Popete posted:

Its just so strange, Star Citizen is becoming less and less relevant. It's hardly ever mentioned in gaming media, it's only ever referenced as a joke in gaming discussion groups, even their own forum Specturm is pretty low traffic. Yet year after year they rake in 10's of millions of dollars. It's like there is just this huge silent group of Citizens out there who don't really do anything but purchase ships.

And they all speak Russian for some reason

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

DigitalPenny posted:

ahh star marine

It takes several respwans to get a working charecter, then the objectives are often bugged so you may have to find a new match. The rubber banding is insane.

I dont think i have played any fps shooter or mod that was more terrible or broken gameplay wise.

apart from when it first came out i have never seen a match with more than 1 person in it.

Truely a master works of art that will be remembered for its contribution to PC gaming

Yes but ToW will be game changing.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfB228kYlhI

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://v.redd.it/fus6gkenwv061/DASH_1080.mp4

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

First of all: this is the Deus Ex Human Revolution music

Second: the last audiobyte is so uncomfortable to hear

FINALLY caught up with the thread, still in time for the free fly I see.

trucutru posted:

e: ^^^^ yeah, why bother? ^^^^^

They have learned that they don't actually have to give a poo poo, backers will buy every single large ship no matter what.

Today's earnings should be the same as yesterday since the all the Aegis stuff sold out in less than a second (or are they selling different Aegis stuff today?) . Then we have a couple of meh days followed by Drake (huge money), meh, then Origin (good money), meh, and finally the "best in show", which can be an easy 3 million a day if they wish so.

Sooo my neverending confusion about the tracker part 2077: this graph shows that they've made a milion on the 20th and 1,5 million dollars on the 21st? This can't possibly be correct, what? How does this add to just 60 mil over the course of the year, we've seen other booms during this year, did we not? I know it's all fake and stuff but is it really how I should read it? They made over 2 milion dollars in 2 days? :psyduck:

Every time I see a video here it's a new and exciting trip.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Kikas posted:

Sooo my neverending confusion about the tracker part 2077: this graph shows that they've made a milion on the 20th and 1,5 million dollars on the 21st? This can't possibly be correct, what? How does this add to just 60 mil over the course of the year, we've seen other booms during this year, did we not? I know it's all fake and stuff but is it really how I should read it? They made over 2 milion dollars in 2 days? :psyduck:

Its per day, we all know the tracker is fud. I would like to believe that there is some truth to it mainly in determining shitizen sentiment. The tracker might not offset ship melts and probably record purchases whole, regardless if its melted store credit / new money.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kikas posted:

Yes, that's what the tracker says, but now....

It's over 3.5 million in 3 days.

Basically, there are 3-5 big sales every year where they sell the "limited hull" ships, which are the big money makers. At those times you see these huge sale spikes. There are also spikes when a new ship is introduced either as flyable or -much more often- as a jpeg.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Kikas posted:

Right now is one of the 2 or 3 times per year that they put stuff up for Citizens to buy in the store. The rest of the year, you can only by the entry-level packages or the terribly priced "Collections" that always include like 4 bad ships plus the one you want. They call the times when you're allowed to buy anything at all, never ever at a discount, a "Sale."

So right now they're (we assume) getting huge money from nerds who've been stimulated with ship pictures for the last four months, edged, if you will, and are finally being allowed to blow their huge wallet-loads all over the pledge store. It's a real climax for their fundraising efforts.

It still doesn't explain how they've made 60 loving million, especially during the like 9 months of this year where nothing was for sale at all, and their patches were thoroughly devoid of anything interesting.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

The elevator floor select panel has a scroll bar on it. The elevator floor select panel has a scroll bar on it. The elevator floor select panel has a scroll bar on it. Like no elevator that will, ever, or should exist, the elevator floor select panel has a scroll bar on it. The only floor that you would ever want to select is not initially visible, and you have to know that the naked vertical line on the right is a scroll bar. I scroll down and select the bottom floor.

Star Citizen: The elevator floor select panel has a scroll bar on it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Star Citizen: The elevator floor select panel has a scroll bar on it.

I read this and started shaking my head, really slowly.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

trucutru posted:

e: ^^^^ yeah, why bother? ^^^^^

They have learned that they don't actually have to give a poo poo, backers will buy every single large ship no matter what.

Today's earnings should be the same as yesterday since the all the Aegis stuff sold out in less than a second (or are they selling different Aegis stuff today?) . Then we have a couple of meh days followed by Drake (huge money), meh, then Origin (good money), meh, and finally the "best in show", which can be an easy 3 million a day if they wish so.

True or faked there can be no other way. A failure to show massive interest via the tracker would sink the project almost instantaneously.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Star Citizer: Quite a steal and only $10 for shipping.

:gary:FINALLY!!!!:yarg:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I haven't been following that closely....did they actually rip off the ASP and made it....an open bed space pickup truck? Like...really? A space cybertruck?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

tuo posted:

I haven't been following that closely....did they actually rip off the ASP and made it....an open bed space pickup truck? Like...really? A space cybertruck?
Yup, including cockpit and color scheme of HUD. Yes, it's a space pickup, because irradiated cargo fastened by gravity goo(???) is the future.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://v.redd.it/cm1wp8gply061/DASH_1080.mp4

https://v.redd.it/brss3i206x061/DASH_1080.mp4

https://v.redd.it/cxp4w318au061/DASH_1080.mp4

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kikas posted:

Second: the last audiobyte is so uncomfortable to hear

FINALLY caught up with the thread, still in time for the free fly I see.
I've only been out of bed half an hour and I've already heard a bad Jeremy Clarkson impersonator orgasm. 2020 is weird.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

tuo posted:

Yes. And then they tweeted at Musk about who did the cybertruck better, and then their fake Jeremy Clarkson referenced the broken glass thing.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

trucutru posted:

Yes, that's what the tracker says, but now....

It's over 3.5 million in 3 days.

Basically, there are 3-5 big sales every year where they sell the "limited hull" ships, which are the big money makers. At those times you see these huge sale spikes. There are also spikes when a new ship is introduced either as flyable or -much more often- as a jpeg.

god drat why did i bet so conservatively. never bet against the stupidity of citizens

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Jesus Christ, I swear these things get worse every sodding year...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbaNf0YvpLs

Fun fact I just noticed, this vid is now Private. Wonder why?

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

sebmojo posted:

I read this and started shaking my head, really slowly.

Don't worry, elevator panel rework is on the way! It is being delayed because roadmap has highest priority, as you can clearly see from the results

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

:bisonyes:

Back to MRE talk: I was in ROTC for a couple of years (before I failed out). I had some truly excellent MREs during that time. Like good enough for a college student to eat for pleasure good.

Then in 2012, after hurricane Sandy, I got some FEMA MREs. They were terrible. Like... wouldn't eat them unless I was starving bad.

The point is there are bad MREs and good MREs. Who can recommend a good one?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Kikas posted:

LOL if Clarkson's dropped a cease and desist order on them for Archering his image and presenting schtick.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Kikas posted:

i think the landing gear wasnt accurate or something dumb like that

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Oh yeah, you're just asking for a trouble if you walk down a ramp that quickly. That's just an extreme lack of care on this person's part.
The ramp punches above its weight.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I hope space Jeremy Clarkson goes on tours of Vandal space with a 99-DED-XENOS ship registration and gets chased by outraged locals

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Is that supposed to be water, ice or some kind of homogenous plastic parking lot?

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Strategic Tea posted:

I hope space Jeremy Clarkson goes on tours of Vandal space with a 99-DED-XENOS ship registration and gets chased by outraged locals

Stay tuned for updates from the lore team then, because there sure won't be vandal space anytime soon, unless they say that some random moon is now vandal in the stanton

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

smellmycheese posted:

OK so here’s my report so far on my brand new Ryzen 7 /2070 rig. Had my AMD monitoring software running on the other screen and immediately upon launch the CPU meter went straight into bouncing between the yellow and red zones. Frame rate was around 30. Couldn’t work out how to get out of bed. When I did the character fell straight on the floor and it took me a while to work out how to stand up. Was pleased to see 900 years in the future in space I still have a mixer tap sink, kitchen roll and a pot scrubber handy.

Having seen many videos on here of the next bit I got through the wankpod/ lift/ elevator panel tedium quite easily and found myself in the legendary lobby of T poses. It was actually quite an awesome moment being there for myself, the weird emptiness and dead eyed stares of the NPC as they earnestly stand on their chairs has a haunting quality.

Luckily Chris Roberts has placed signs guiding you to the expo so I pressed on, past more lifeless NPCs frozen on the stairs down to the subway. On arriving in the expo entrance I was delighted to see my first proper bug as the top half of an NPC bounced furiously through the floor.

Went to the expo, looked at some ships. Got inside a Gladius I think? The JPEGs do, as everyone says, look quite impressive although Croberts obsession with putting kitchen/diners and toilets inside heavily armed gunships is truly bizarre.

Went to get a coffee from the kiosk hoping for some of the exciting subsumption bartender AI to kick in but the lady Barista just stared through me and kept repeating the same 3 stock phrases over and over again.

All in all - it’s just WEIRD. The creepy, empty, lifeless feel of everything is almost atmospheric if you were playing a Westworld style game about the day humanity was replaced by dead eyed automatons. The NPCs look and act like youre in a Second Life instance from 2002 and everyone’s gone AFK

Bit more time today so will attempt to fly a ship. The keyboard bindings screen is also hilariously bad - why make it so you can’t read anything on the screen until you magnify it with your mouse? Bizarre

Yay. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

PlainCrazy posted:

Rage-quit then return to try again a little later (still have not learned my lesson). I manage to spawn a 100i. I get in and find "flight ready" among all the identical unlabeled buttons. As soon as I tap space to hover, the ship -shoots- forward and embeds halfway into the hangar door. I did not press forward. I can see outside, but no matter how I twist and turn, can't get unstuck from the door. Someone tells me how to open the hangar door by contacting ATC via the FRIENDS LIST. The FRIENDS LIST. The list where you would normally add friends to chat with them more easily is where they put the ATC contact. The hangar door opens, and I shoot up into the sky.

Thank you for the information Mystery solved. I've tried Star Citizen numerous times in the past 1-2 years and always got stuck at that part. My pride did not allow to ask for help in the chat, as I kindda wanted to figure it out myself. Never to succeed. Next time I might be able to fly a ship outside !