Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Messadiah posted:

This is very typical of CCTV installs, unfortunately. The correct way to do it is to get a 12/24v power supply with 8-16 outputs, then you only have the power supply to hard wire or throw a cord on.

Yeah but those cost money and you already have all the wall warts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Bad Munki posted:

I’m the stripped wires top left because the plug wouldn’t fit.

I'm the pedantic rear end in a top hat who Kramers in to say: that is a wallwart and the stripped wires are lo-volt DC supplying something in the magic steel box.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

BonerGhost posted:

I'm the other set on the bottom right.

At our last apt there was a single outlet in the bathroom, so we had a similar situation for both toothbrushes, shaver charger, waterpik, and hair dryer. But none of those things was ever running at the same time, it was just to save having to constantly unplug poo poo.

I was going to say maybe it was a bunch of low power/not always powered things and wasn't so bad but now I'm sure it's as bad as it looks.

You were lucky! The bathroom in my apartment doesn't have an outlet at all.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Yeah but those cost money and you already have all the wall warts.

Even if you don't they're super cheap! Because why would the salesperson also quote a power supply, poo poo works by magic right?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Is that a power strip melting load test?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
This is probably a pipe dream because there's too many different types of devices by different manufacturers in vastly different form factors but it just feels bad having say a modem, a router and a switch and therefore having three crappy low(ish) efficiency power supplies.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Messadiah posted:

This is very typical of CCTV installs, unfortunately. The correct way to do it is to get a 12/24v power supply with 8-16 outputs, then you only have the power supply to hard wire or throw a cord on.

For CCTV, PoE would surely be the preferred way of distributing power too.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Metaline posted:

You were lucky! The bathroom in my apartment doesn't have an outlet at all.

I mean, in a lot of parts of the world, outlets in a bathroom are against the building code.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guidance/safety-around-the-home/bathroom-safety/

Or I guess not fully, but they do have to be at least 3m (10') from the bath and shower, so it'd have to be a gigantic bathroom to be able to have an outlet.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I mean, in a lot of parts of the world, outlets in a bathroom are against the building code.

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guidance/safety-around-the-home/bathroom-safety/

Or I guess not fully, but they do have to be at least 3m (10') from the bath and shower, so it'd have to be a gigantic bathroom to be able to have an outlet.
It's a shame you will never be able to experience the joy of fresh toast while soaking in bubbles.

A GFI will totally make everything safe! Ironically, I have never tripped a GFI with water, only hair dryers. I refuse to use GFCI because God acronyms never have more than three letters. Great acronyms have a cool sounding name too, like RAM.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Not Wolverine posted:

It's a shame you will never be able to experience the joy of fresh toast while soaking in bubbles.

A GFI will totally make everything safe! Ironically, I have never tripped a GFI with water, only hair dryers. I refuse to use GFCI because God acronyms never have more than three letters. Great acronyms have a cool sounding name too, like RAM.
I too love God acronyms. The Holy Trinities if you will

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Splicer posted:

I too love God acronyms. The Holy Trinities if you will

GOD: GFCI Or Die

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

~Coxy posted:

This is probably a pipe dream because there's too many different types of devices by different manufacturers in vastly different form factors but it just feels bad having say a modem, a router and a switch and therefore having three crappy low(ish) efficiency power supplies.

I optimized my network rack (ok, it's a table) by using an old computer (ATX) power supply. Most of these networking/IOT devices use either 12 or 5 volts, so you can clip the wall-wart off the cord and attach the wires to the correct (red=5, yellow=12) supply lines from the power supply. I'm feeding like 9 different devices off one power supply.

Another bonus to this is that computer power supplies are more efficient and produce much cleaner power than those wall warts. A common failure point for that equipment is a crappy power brick that over-volts or under-volts the device until it lets the smoke out. Nothing like a $250 router getting smoked due to the lovely $0.50 power supply included with it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Don't choose form over function, kids.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

My apartment building was built in 1927 and the last big reno in my bathroom was in the 50s, so it just hasn't happened yet. The doors with skeleton keys and honeycomb penny tile are worth having to dry my hair in the bedroom!

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Here in Sweden it started out with being completely banned, then in the 1960s you were allowed to have an outlet dedicated to a washing machine, at least 170cm above the floor level, as well as a 110 volt outlet that was intended for electric shavers. Finally in 1996 you could put in a regular 230V outlet for hair dryers and poo poo, as long as you have it on a ground fault interrupt circuit.

You can still find plenty of houses featuring bathrooms with just the 110V outlet, which can be cause for confusion.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Metaline posted:

My apartment building was built in 1927 and the last big reno in my bathroom was in the 50s, so it just hasn't happened yet. The doors with skeleton keys and honeycomb penny tile are worth having to dry my hair in the bedroom!

Sounds exactly like my old bathroom right down to the tile, loved that tile. We got our friend to pop an outlet under the light switch and it changed our lives.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

kid sinister posted:

Don't choose form over function, kids.

On the other hand, probably pretty great if you've got a bucket to fill.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

I'll remember this one for when some Englishman starts making fun of the US residential electrical system.

Sure, our electric tea kettles take longer, but at least we can recharge our toothbrushes and run shavers and hairdryers in our bathrooms.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

B-Nasty posted:

I'll remember this one for when some Englishman starts making fun of the US residential electrical system.

Sure, our electric tea kettles take longer, but at least we can recharge our toothbrushes and run shavers and hairdryers in our bathrooms.

Well, when you have massive fundamental safety flaws (leftover from wartime shortages) in your basic household electricity distribution this is not surprising outcome.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

B-Nasty posted:

Counter with ring mains. Win.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Lake view carpeted tri-level shitter.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
By this logic, you can waffle stomp an upper decker.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

kid sinister posted:

Counter with ring mains. Win.

You and I know that ring mains are the God-anointed way of wiring a house, but I’m afraid you’re preaching to a dead horse with the Yanks. They have not ears to hear or eyes to see.

GoonyMcGoonface
Sep 11, 2001

Friends don't left friends do ECB
Dinosaur Gum

Vindolanda posted:

You and I know that ring mains are the God-anointed way of wiring a house, but I’m afraid you’re preaching to a dead horse with the Yanks. They have not ears to hear or eyes to see.

Mmmm, ring mains. The Federal Pacific of wiring layouts.

Someone complaining about how their college has a suicide door. Yeah, yeah, we know, it's for loading heavy equipment in. Boring.

Then you look closer.

... wait. Is... is that... a loving bolt on the outside of the door?!

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I like how there's a wooden plank at ankle height so if someone does walk out of the suicide door they'll trip and fall head first.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Look if you're gonna have a suicide door you want it to work.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

The door frame doesn't appear to be set properly so I wonder if that trip bar is there to fix that?
As if there's any fixing that.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
What's the weird thing underneath the suicide door with the blue line wrapped around it?

My guess is that this suicide door is really high up and that's actually the mounting point for a hoist for another suicide door on the next level down, but that doesn't explain the blue line.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Just finally caught up after slowly reading through the thread for what feels like a significant chunk of my life. To contribute - some insane electrical fuckery that I had to deal with when I moved into my house.

I brought my house about 17 years ago, but I'd known it a lot longer as it was a friend's childhood home. I also knew that they had some weird habits about not turning the lights on until certain times which I assumed was down to them being cheap, and I knew that his grandmother was as deaf as a post so they had a doorbell that sounded like an air raid siren and some lights that flashed when you rang it. Turns out that wasn't the full story.

They had a contraption hooked up next to the fuse box that connected to the doorbell. The lighting mains power ran through this device, and if you rang the door bell some kind of large coil would reduce the power to the entire lighting wiring and cause all of the lights in the house to briefly dim for three short bursts (as well as playing a horrendous "EEE-WOOO!!" noise out of the speaker from hell three times). Ok, I kinda get the idea as it means deaf grandmother would see the lights flicker and know someone was at the door.

But... did that mean leaving the lights on the whole time? Yes. Yes it did.

Ah, but to counter this there was a light sensor on a wall outside with a cable botched through to the same weird contraption. If the light level was still daytime, the lighting was simply disconnected. You'd flick the light switch and nothing would come on. Thou shalt not have light until it hath gotten dark out. Although if you rang the doorbell, power would now be restored to the lights for the duration of the "EEE-WOOO!", meaning the lights would now flash all over the house. Once it got dark enough for the light sensor to switch over, all of the internal lights would suddenly come on in the house and we were now back to the dimming doorbell.

This explains why I would be at the house as a kid and wonder why they always lived in this weird twilight before turning on all of the lights in the house at once. Or why lights would randomly turn on and off during heavy storms.

To make things more interesting, this house has concrete floors upstairs. This means no floorboards, no easy conduits and 1950s wiring buried in the concrete. Any alternations were done by spurring off from existing sockets or (as I found out), running mains sockets down from the lights. Note that this is the UK with 240v.

His sister lived in an "attic conversion" that it turns out had it's sockets and lights connected to the back of a single light. Then from that, other sockets had been wired around the house daisy chained off that. And of course, if you rang the door bell you had every electrical device plugged into this circuit of the damned suddenly dip in power. Running a computer up there? EEE-WOOOO! Computer just rebooted because the pizza guy rang the doorbell.

As a kid I'd visit my buddy and we had a small shed at the bottom of the garden (mid 1990s) where we had our gaming PCs (with big old CRT monitors) and a space heater for LAN coop play. Turns out we were running all of that over a single cable that ran from the garden up into the roof and then connected to the back of a light switch in the deadly attic conversion. When I ripped it all out it turned out that they'd run short of cable and made up the difference with motherfucking speaker wire.

The house had old fashioned storage heaters (lovely system that runs overnight and heats up large, heavy ceramic bricks that stay hot throughout the next day - terrible system). This meant my power was an "economy 7" tarif, meaning cheap as dirt power in the night to charge the heaters but then more expensive during the day. Naturally the genius that devised the doorbell from hell decided to restrict certain outlets to only come on out of hours (so your tumble dryer and washing machine would come on in the night when it was cheap).

I've found open, live cables plastered into walls. I've found spotlights running over speaker cable. Turns out the shower power chord was wired up wrong and basically did nothing but smoulder away up in the attic nestled among the old newspapers used for insulation. I found a shelf with a screw going through the thick mains cable that used to run to the oven (before they had gas, so it was a single fuse just for running an oven). They'd never figured out what was constantly tripping the RCD, so they simply bonded the RCD switch in place so it couldn't trip.

Meanwhile, my buddy who grew up there found it strange that he didn't have to "leave the big lights on" and didn't have to do his laundry at night. He also now knows how close we all came to dying..

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 24, 2020

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Azza Bamboo posted:

What's the weird thing underneath the suicide door with the blue line wrapped around it?

My guess is that this suicide door is really high up and that's actually the mounting point for a hoist for another suicide door on the next level down, but that doesn't explain the blue line.
Suicide, blue lines. Theres a cop joke somewhere in here.

CaladSigilon posted:

Mmmm, ring mains. The Federal Pacific of wiring layouts.

Someone complaining about how their college has a suicide door. Yeah, yeah, we know, it's for loading heavy equipment in. Boring.

Then you look closer.

THe ankle height board going across the bottom of the door looks like it would block the doors from opening, as the hinges appear to be on the outside.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Oh god that's it, the door is not locked or blocked from inside so that bar is the only thing stopping some distracted rando from potentially falling.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Ah of course, I forgot that all exterior doors have to open outward to facilitate mass evacuations.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

CaladSigilon posted:

Then you look closer.

That's literally the best place for it though! No idiot can open that door from the inside! It's literally only useable for it's intended purpose........if you stand on the lift...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'm the black mold of death on the right wall waiting to kill everyone

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

B-Nasty posted:

UK bathrooms have shaver plugs.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

drgitlin posted:

UK bathrooms have shaver plugs.

Which are silly, antiquated hacks. Still can't run a hairdryer or any high-current device.

The year is 2020, and we have GFCI receptacles; The NEC is way ahead of UK electrical codes.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

:stonk:

I was always weirdly interested in electrical safety, so that reads like a horror story.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

B-Nasty posted:

Which are silly, antiquated hacks. Still can't run a hairdryer or any high-current device.

The year is 2020, and we have GFCI receptacles; The NEC is way ahead of UK electrical codes.

But will you agree that the UK plug and receptical is a pretty bitchin' design?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Ups_rail posted:

But will you agree that the UK plug and receptical is a pretty bitchin' design?

The best thing about them is when you step on one barefoot in the middle of the night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Dog_Meat posted:

They had a contraption hooked up next to the fuse box that connected to the doorbell. The lighting mains power ran through this device, and if you rang the door bell some kind of large coil would reduce the power to the entire lighting wiring and cause all of the lights in the house to briefly dim for three short bursts (as well as playing a horrendous "EEE-WOOO!!" noise out of the speaker from hell three times)

PLEASE tell me you have a recording on this.