Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I saw some cool birds today and completely failed at taking cool pics of them with my K-50 and 50mm lens, so I'm thinking about ordering a telephoto one.

I'm trying to get a feel for the difference it would make if i went from 50 to 300mm and I wanted to sanity check my math because i have no idea how camera math works and this is the first time I've done trig this year probably.

According to this site the horizontal viewing angle would change from 39.6° to 6.87°, so the change in the focal plane is sin(6.87/2)/sin(39.6/2) = approximately 17.7%

So if I shrink a pic from my camera now to 17.7% and then paste the (now severely cropped) original into the smaller resolution version, this is a decent comparison for the relative size of things in the frame, right?

Obviously the resolution won't be representative but I'm just trying to see if 300mm is like omg way too close up or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For bird nerds 300mm is like the starter focal length. :v:

They habitually go for 600mm and often use a teleconverter too.

xzzy fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 21, 2020

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Corla Plankun posted:

I saw some cool birds today and completely failed at taking cool pics of them with my K-50 and 50mm lens, so I'm thinking about ordering a telephoto one.

I'm trying to get a feel for the difference it would make if i went from 50 to 300mm and I wanted to sanity check my math because i have no idea how camera math works and this is the first time I've done trig this year probably.

According to this site the horizontal viewing angle would change from 39.6° to 6.87°, so the change in the focal plane is sin(6.87/2)/sin(39.6/2) = approximately 17.7%

So if I shrink a pic from my camera now to 17.7% and then paste the (now severely cropped) original into the smaller resolution version, this is a decent comparison for the relative size of things in the frame, right?

Obviously the resolution won't be representative but I'm just trying to see if 300mm is like omg way too close up or not.

with a 300mm you're zooming in 6x compared to a 50mm.

this nikon tool will help you get a visual idea: https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/simulator/

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

For bird nerds 300mm is like the starter focal length. :v:

Unfortunately this is pretty true. Think about your budget, how heavy you are willing to go, and whether you want something that's multi-purpose or really a dedicated critter lens. The basic 70-300 that most manufacturers have is where many people start but most wild birds are small and shy enough that it's not ideal.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Bird photography is a very slippery slope, you're always lusting after more reach. 300mm is a good start. Do that. But be ready to start looking up eBay auctions on 50-year-old screw-mount super teles because your Pentax can happily wear them and you can achieve the lofty heights of 500mm and F/4.5 for only a dollar per millimetre!

Source: this is me. I did this.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Hello Spaceman posted:

with a 300mm you're zooming in 6x compared to a 50mm.

While technically correct that is a poor way of conveying how much larger something actually gets in the frame when you change focal lengths.
Going from 50mm to 300mm is a THIRTY SIX (300^2/50^2) times increase in the size of the subject (or the area it fills in the frame)

300mm is a quite short focal length for birding, unless you are either at the zoo or in some organized event where large birds (eagles or bigger) swoop in really close to grab bait.
Even 600 is short if you want to photograph smaller birds

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 22, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

How often does the adobe photography package (photoshop/lightroom) go on sale? I'm interested in getting back into some photography, but I wouldn't mind waiting for a sale.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Bioshuffle posted:

How often does the adobe photography package (photoshop/lightroom) go on sale? I'm interested in getting back into some photography, but I wouldn't mind waiting for a sale.

I managed to grab it for £89.99 a few months back for 12 months. So it does happen from time to time but I don't think there's much rhyme or reason.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
I family friend left a few old cameras and gear with my parents about 6 years ago and they're tired of holding onto it so they gave it all to me... From what I've found most of it isn't worth much -- there's two Minolta SRT101's, a Revere Stereo 33, an old Kodak Instamatic Reflex, along with a few others. But there's also a Mamiya C330 Professional that eBay tells me is worth ~$250-550. I'd like to sell it but I don't know anything about this style of camera... how do I tell if it even works?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

This is great so far. From one of the optional readings:

quote:

We simply have to mention sepia toning. It is probably the worst thing that has ever happened to photographs but, like neckties and hair dye, it’s out there and has long been around to make things look silly. Somehow the idea grew in the first half of the century that a photograph could somehow be better if it was brown.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
I thought sepia toning was a method for preserving the print or is that apocryphal I will not look this up before posting

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Twenties Superstar posted:

I thought sepia toning was a method for preserving the print or is that apocryphal I will not look this up before posting

Wikipedia agrees with you:

quote:

Sepia toning is a specialized treatment to give a black-and-white photographic print a warmer tone and to enhance its archival qualities. The metallic silver in the print is converted to a sulfide compound, which is much more resistant to the effects of environmental pollutants such as atmospheric sulfur compounds. Silver sulfide is at least 50% more stable than silver.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

What photo printing service do you guys use? This would be for amateur, snapshot-like family photos, but I'm looking for a place where the quality is above poo poo level.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I got some prints from Parabo recently when they were running a special on twenty 4x4" prints for the cost of shipping. They're pretty decent and I plan to use them again for bigger stuff. They're running a similar special for even tinier prints right now I think.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

LiterallyATomato posted:

What photo printing service do you guys use? This would be for amateur, snapshot-like family photos, but I'm looking for a place where the quality is above poo poo level.

I have good results from bay photo for prints. They hosed up my Christmas cards two years in a row though (prints were skewed on the card stock) so I'm going to try national photo lab this year for cards.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Costco is pretty good for what you describe. My in-laws use them for prints and I’ve had great luck with a canvas and several of the glossy photo books.

E: Bay Photo is great too, but not a budget option.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 22, 2020

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Thanks, goons! I think we're going to go with Bay Photo. This is a once a year kind of thing (photo book of our baby's first year), so we can spend a little extra.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Instead of doing a traditional photobook through some photo service, I used blurb to design and print a trade book. It gave a lot more customizability to how things were laid out, and I liked being able to get it printed on matte paper. I can't speak too much for the quality, because I chose to try the worst quality printing they offered, which I think probably correlated to some sloppy work putting the book together.

On the other hand for the worst quality printing I only paid $16 shipped for two copies, and I did like the look and feel of it a lot more than a glossy photobook.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fools Infinite posted:

Instead of doing a traditional photobook through some photo service, I used blurb to design and print a trade book. It gave a lot more customizability to how things were laid out, and I liked being able to get it printed on matte paper. I can't speak too much for the quality, because I chose to try the worst quality printing they offered, which I think probably correlated to some sloppy work putting the book together.

On the other hand for the worst quality printing I only paid $16 shipped for two copies, and I did like the look and feel of it a lot more than a glossy photobook.

Was this a just-for-fun book? I started trying to price out options for a small photo book project and it seemed like a possibility, but I was a little worried about what the low-end trade book options actually looked like. I guess I should just start by ordering on the lowest reasonable level and inch up in specs until it looks like something someone would actually pay for as a visually appealing item.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
It was just a family photo album, I just wanted something like a more traditional book. The lowest end color print quality was pretty bad, lots of vertical streaking, and some pages were cut badly enough you could see coding marks that are way off the page. I think without that and the streaking I would have liked the low-fi look of it, and the paper and cover were nicer than other people's small run books I've bought. I was tempted to try another, but at the time at least you could only make that choice when making the book, so I would have had to resubmit it if I wanted to try the better quality printing.

Actually for the price it wasn't nearly as bad as stuff I bought from major publishers for similar prices at reading fairs as a kid.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Ok looks like we are getting the X-T3 to do baby and sailing photography

It looks like a couple people sell an aluminum thumb rest for the camera family that plugs into the hot shoe, is this worth looking at getting

Anything else I should look at getting? If I have a tripod somewhere, it's a piece of poo poo $19.95 model from walmart and it's at the bottom of my storage unit

X-T3 is a loving great camera, thanks to whoever suggested it

The battery charger is still plugged into a socket in the kitchen from the day we got it, being able to just leave the camera plugged into the USB-C phone charger at my desk is fantastic. The battery is always topped off, ready to go. I bought two extra batteries but I've never even tried them, being able to charge the camera with a regular charging cable is loving great, really glad we didn't compromise on the USB-C charging requirement

Picked up a $12 manual Canon FD (1970-1985 lenses) adapter, was able to plug in my dad's old (and free) FD 50mm 1.8 and 35-105 3.8 lenses with no problems; picked up an 80-200 2.8 and a 100-300 5.6 for $70 shipped, so I think I'm good on lenses for a while. I ordered a $15 FD 2x teleconverter off ebay for grins, and oh, I have a $99 7.5mm 2.8 lens on order. Really enjoying that you can plug cheap vintage lenses on this thing.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Re.: Blurb, I can recommend their high-end books. I've ordered a few over the years and have zero complaints about the quality. Also, they seem to run sales frequently; I don't think I've ever paid full price for a book there.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the feedback on Blurb. It's definitely what I'm going to check out first. I mainly need something with good bright colors that I can do at a fairly low price point. The photos are all natural light iPhone photos like this one (I'm going to crop/edit to make it punchier but you get the idea).

A few fruit faces on Flickr

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Thanks for the feedback on Blurb. It's definitely what I'm going to check out first. I mainly need something with good bright colors that I can do at a fairly low price point. The photos are all natural light iPhone photos like this one (I'm going to crop/edit to make it punchier but you get the idea).

A few fruit faces on Flickr

i thought this was goatse and stared for a while longer before i saw the walrus

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Hello Spaceman posted:

i thought this was goatse and stared for a while longer before i saw the walrus

goon.txt

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Every. Last. Image here on SomethingAwful.com LLC I go through two quick shortcuts in my mind before devoting any brain power to the actual image.
1. Goatse
2. Loss

Oatmeal-Fruit Walrus got past those very quickly.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

seravid posted:

Re.: Blurb, I can recommend their high-end books. I've ordered a few over the years and have zero complaints about the quality. Also, they seem to run sales frequently; I don't think I've ever paid full price for a book there.

Yeah we've done a family photo book with them every year for the last 10 years. I always do their highest quality paper and print options and have been very happy with the quality. A hardback photo print 8x10 book with like 150 pages ends up costing around $150, but they always run a half-price special for black friday. So we make it our thing to finish up the book layout around this time and be ready for the sale. Every since our daughter was born I buy a copy for myself and one for my parents as their gift from us, and they love it.

I'll also mention that if you use lightroom classic (aka the only real lightroom) it's very convenient that it has a book module that lets you lay out the book directly from your library, and then export a PDF for digital archiving, and upload directly from lightroom to blurb. The book module in lightroom is slow, like the rest of lightroom, but you can't beat the convenience of laying out directly from your main library.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
What Photography books do you suggest for technical knowledge?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Jupiter Jazz posted:

How technical?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

torgeaux posted:

How technical?

you mean you cant readily quote the names of five tomes for grinding your own lenses and building your own auto light metering devices?

but seriously, i would go as far as suggesting the OP look up a few videos on youtube to learn about the relationship between shutter speed, iso, and aperture. those concepts really are best explained "in person" and the medium of video makes it easier to illustrate the impact of each.
i can't say i have read a photography book to learn about technical stuff, but those that i do have are more about inspiration for the kind of things i would like to work towards.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Jupiter Jazz posted:

For basic exposure triangle stuff, the go-to is Understanding Exposure, by Bryan Peterson. For all these kinds of books get it with color prints, not as a black and white kindle. You need to see the example photos which illustrate the principles.

https://www.cambridgeincolour.com is a great website that explains many many photography concepts with good figures and interactive tools.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Bryan Peterson's Understanding Composition is good, too.

I read a few books on studio/off-cam flash lighting, as well as weird DIY lighting solutions and they all illustrate the interesting ways you could manipulate light for your work, as photography is lighting.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Not a book, not everything about photography but if you want to sort of see how technical optics and lenses etc this channel is really fun to see some stuff outside of the norm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p5E7iXxeQE

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Ansel Adams - The Camera, The Negative and The Print series. Still being reprinted 70 years later...

I've only read The Camera. you have to overlook some of it as less useful than it was, but it still covers some interesting technical ground.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 24, 2020

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is Affinity Photo any good? It's on sale right now, and I do adore the non-subscription pricing model. I'm already on Capture One and it might serve as a Photoshop replacement.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
I am at the 'thinking about buying a £1200 X100V to make me fall back in love with photography' stage. Sure I have an XT1 with the 23mm f2 already but ... the X100V is pretty.

Could it be that I'm not photographing because I work from home and never leave the house because of a deadly pandemic. Could be.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Schneider Heim posted:

Is Affinity Photo any good? It's on sale right now, and I do adore the non-subscription pricing model. I'm already on Capture One and it might serve as a Photoshop replacement.

about two years ago i used it exclusively on my ipad and i was very capable there. since then, i bought another mac and cc sub, so unsure how the desktop version stacks up, or how affinity has evolved in feature set in the last 12 months

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Schneider Heim posted:

I just bought it but use On1 for raw file editing, with the idea to Affinity Photo for more… well Photoshopy touch ups and all that. By all accounts Capture One is still better for off the camera file conversion and that but no idea yet on how the photo manipulation and correction side stacks up.

It's a real decent deal though, I saved a bit.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Light: science and magic is also excellent if you’d like to learn about how to understand light not just the bits on your camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Yeast posted:

Light: science and magic is also excellent if you’d like to learn about how to understand light not just the bits on your camera.

As a technical book, it's accessible and useful. Seconded