Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I would say the show has mostly pleasantly surprised me with how it handled stuff that on paper sounds like cringey fanservice. Exhibit A: meeting the USS Enterprise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I would say the show has mostly pleasantly surprised me with how it handled stuff that on paper sounds like cringey fanservice. Exhibit A: meeting the USS Enterprise

Yeah, and the Talos episode ended up being one of the best of the season.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Generally speaking, the show has batted really well on throwback stuff. Sarek, Spock, Pike and #1 were all good characters; Enterprise looked great; Talos ep was good; Mirror Universe was... Well, that might be subject to some debate, but the presentation of the MU at least worked alright in my view. Trill stuff is working really well so far.

Most of the show's shortcomings mainly come from wonky follow-through on its own original ideas

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really want to see the Disco crew be introduced to replicators. Before it was a processor so it was limited to what the ship had in storage, but replicators can make everything and anything.

The biggest weakness is that they want to make it the Michael Burnham show when it works when its the Michael and friends show.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Generally speaking, the show has batted really well on throwback stuff. Sarek, Spock, Pike and #1 were all good characters; Enterprise looked great; Talos ep was good; Mirror Universe was... Well, that might be subject to some debate, but the presentation of the MU at least worked alright in my view. Trill stuff is working really well so far.

Most of the show's shortcomings mainly come from wonky follow-through on its own original ideas

The Trill episode was utter garbage for me; They shot for a badly cliche mystical culture right down to "HERESY! HERESY! THE DIFFERENT ONE IS A HERETIC! Oh wait, they're our Saviour/Special One" and the Trill actors just couldn't carry a scene to save their lives. That doesn't even get into it ignoring literally every previous bit of canon with the Trill to force a lazily-written story into existence. The tendrilly mindtrip parts are just lifted wholesale right out of Doctor Who (I want to say The Doctor's Grave at Trenzalore specifically, but I KNOW I've seen this somewhere in nuWho), and the only good parts were the performance of Adira and Gray together.

twistedmentat posted:

I really want to see the Disco crew be introduced to replicators. Before it was a processor so it was limited to what the ship had in storage, but replicators can make everything and anything.

The biggest weakness is that they want to make it the Michael Burnham show when it works when its the Michael and friends show.

The real question is does Discovery have a holodeck now?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Replicators probably were replaced with programmable matter. You take a poo poo on the table and then it reprograms into a hamburger.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Hell I do that now. Just takes some imagination.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The real question is does Discovery have a holodeck now?

Michael walks in on Tilly in Mariner's gym program.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pik_d posted:

[A Tweet About Harlan Ellison]

Harlan Ellison loving hated City on the Edge of Forever and Star Trek for what the production crew did to his stupidly unproducible on a 60s TV budget script. He remained raging mad about it until the day he loving died.

Also can we please for the love of god stop posting Fandom Menace jagoffs in this thread claiming they know what's going to happen this year on Star Trek? This is the same cadre of dipshits who've gotten every loving thing they've claimed completely wrong and still think that CBS is actually putting on an elaborate wag the dog show to convince the public that Star Trek Discovery is currently filming a fourth season when, really, if you think and pray about it super hard, it actually isn't and was cancelled 5 years ago.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BurnettRM/status/1026656298580865024?s=20

Yeah. Burnett was asked about this today elsewhere and still maintained that 'New Trek' is not canon.

He's just in too deep with hating it, so even if the info is good, his interpretation will be deeply biased.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

xerxus posted:

Yeah. Burnett was asked about this today elsewhere and still maintained that 'New Trek' is not canon.

He's just in too deep with hating it, so even if the info is good, his interpretation will be deeply biased.

It's like QAnon, but for television...

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Why should I care about what this twitter nerd says

Could you imagine if Discovery sullied the original timeline where Picard got owned by his own clone and an army of Nosferati?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m just so tired of all these Extremely Angry Online dipshits riling other assholes up over the mere existence of every single recent franchise continuation. It’s exhausting because their bullshit manages to worm its way into every bit of discourse.

Just let people like what they want to like, it’s not a difficult concept.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Why should I care about what this twitter nerd says

Could you imagine if Discovery sullied the original timeline where Picard got owned by his own clone and an army of Nosferati?

He directed the Star Trek fandom-chasing comedy film Free Enterprise, produced a bunch of special features for various DVDs including Star Trek: Enterprise, and was a consultant for Star Trek: The Experience at the Las Vegas Hilton, and was an executive producer on Agent Cody Banks, and its sequel, Agent Cody Banks 2: Destination London.

Gene Roddenberry’s creepy script doctor lawyer for the first season of TNG has more claim to Star Trek’s legacy than this dink does.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

xerxus posted:

Maybe it's because I kind of came to Star Trek late, but I really don't get the hate for Discovery. It's not significantly more ridiculous than the "good" Star Trek I watched, like when I watched DS9 last year. This feels mostly like:

nine-gear crow posted:

It's like QAnon, but for television...

and less actual criticism.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Nichael posted:

Maybe it's because I kind of came to Star Trek late, but I really don't get the hate for Discovery. It's not significantly more ridiculous than the "good" Star Trek I watched, like when I watched DS9 last year. This feels mostly like:

People who use popular media as a backbone for their identity have always been this angry and bitter, but now they have a dozen major platforms to air their grievances on and find other angry nerds with similar opinions. Go find the Letters page of any Starlog or Fangoria from 30 years ago and it’s all the same poo poo, only back then no one was instantly replying and agreeing with them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nichael posted:

Most of the hatred for the new incarnations of Star Trek is whipped up and self-perpetuated by a relatively small but loud group of incredibly online and always mad assholes who have dubbed themselves The Fandom Menace (read: QAnon, but for television). They started out being mad about new Star Wars content being made post-Revenge of the Sith, and have since expanded their range into Star Trek, and then into all of pop culture in general.

The core of the group consists of a bunch of middle aged Comic Book Guys who are all hardcore alt-right folks (one of whom was outed as A Literal Nazi by 4chan a few months back) who are mad as hell that women and minorities are invading their White People Space of [Pop Culture Thing] and have gone full on Yosemite Sam over it. There’s also a token woman in the group, but everyone hates her, and they’re trying to Gamergate her out of the picture by claiming she’s sleeping with one of the other ringleaders in a bid for relevance. It’s all super gross top to bottom.

tl;dr: A black stormtrooper Chernobyl’d a fuckton of people’s brains and we’re living in irradiated aftermath of it to this day.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Nov 23, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Future Federation: "Okay, no more time travel. We're serious about this."

The Guardian: "LOL, no."

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I stick to Steve Shives and Jessie Gender.

I don't even know who Ellison is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

I stick to Steve Shives and Jessie Gender.

I don't even know who Ellison is.

Harlan Ellison was a hilariously irascible science fiction author of immense talent and short stature. He wrote the original script for City on the Edge of Forever, but he was also a lofty purist who thought his work was beyond reproach and should be taken as-is with no alterations. He was well known for being Forever Mad about what he considered shoddy adaptions of his work—like holding life long grudges over some of the pettiest poo poo, and would do stuff like mail dead gophers to Hollywood executives he thought had slighted him in various ways.

He was a gigantic loving rear end in a top hat, and I say that as someone who actually likes the guy.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Nov 23, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

nine-gear crow posted:

Most of the hatred for the new incarnations of Star Trek is whipped up and self-perpetuated by a relatively small but loud group of incredibly online and always mad assholes who have dubbed themselves The Fandom Menace (read: QAnon, but for television). They started out being mad about new Star Wars content being made post-Revenge of the Sith, and have since expanded their range into Star Trek, and then into all of pop culture in general.

The core of the group consists of a bunch of middle aged Comic Book Guys who are all hardcore alt-right folks (one of whom was outed as A Literal Nazi by 4chan a few months back) who are mad as hell that women and minorities are invading their White People Space of [Pop Culture Thing] and have gone full on Yosemite Sam over it. There’s also a token woman in the group, but everyone hates her, and they’re trying to Gamergate her out of the picture by claiming she’s sleeping with one of the other ringleaders in a bid for relevance. It’s all super gross top to bottom.

tl;dr: A black stormtrooper Chernobyl’d a fuckton of people’s brains and we’re living in irradiated aftermath of it to this day.

do you mean something specific because i feel like there are more people that dislike discovery and picard than a handful of twitter freaks or whatever the heck youre talking about

edit: huh, s3e1 was a notable uptick. still a ton of gratuitous, almost non-stop, violence but a lot better than the second half of s2. sahil was the first time this show made me feel any real emotion

edit2: im glad morn survived the worm assault

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 23, 2020

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Verviticus posted:

do you mean something specific because i feel like there are more people that dislike discovery and picard than a handful of twitter freaks or whatever the heck youre talking about

I think there's a difference between "dislike" and "hate". It really seems like some people have made "loudly denouncing Picard/DISCO as Not True Star Trek" a core part of their personality.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I think there's a difference between "dislike" and "hate". It really seems like some people have made "loudly denouncing Picard/DISCO as Not True Star Trek" a core part of their personality.

There's some of that, but they're also poorly written shows. A couple episodes of Discovery have been okay this season. Just okay. Mostly because Saru is a solid character.

When people say the "not true ____" when talking about an established universe, is because it changes fundamental things of that thing. Similar to Quake Champions being a joke of a Quake game, as it changes core principles of the games to that point, Discovery and Picard are departures from Star Trek to the degree that it's frustrating the producers of these shows didn't make them on their own merits rather than riding the coattails of something else.

If Star Trek: Discovery was its own science fiction series without the Star Trek name, it'd be potentially a decent show. It, however, has not been a decent Star Trek show.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
it would be really nice if, in the middle of the constant self-reaffirming cartoon violence, they would stop breaking everyones neck with the boring hollywood twist. do all the annoying camera cuts and hardcore poo poo you want but for fuckssake please stop the neck breaks people in the future arent that strong (except maybe vulcans i dunno)

yeah that makes sense. i think i misread what they said the first time around

Super Deuce posted:

There's some of that, but they're also poorly written shows. A couple episodes of Discovery have been okay this season. Just okay. Mostly because Saru is a solid character.

yeah but ultimately the post i was replying to was really engaging in a criticism of the small group of freaks rather than like, offering any real defence of the show. im not exposed to "the fandom menace" so i cant speak to them directly but they're probably right that the people that hate it the most are usually the weird ones

other than the aforementioned cartoon violence s3e2 was actually not a bad episode either

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 23, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Verviticus posted:

it would be really nice if, in the middle of the constant self-reaffirming cartoon violence, they would stop breaking everyones neck with the boring hollywood twist. do all the annoying camera cuts and hardcore poo poo you want but for fuckssake please stop the neck breaks people in the future arent that strong (except maybe vulcans i dunno)

I'd love to see someone try it and just have that person stagger back going OW GODDAMNIT WHAT THE gently caress

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I'd love to see someone try it and just have that person stagger back going OW GODDAMNIT WHAT THE gently caress

honestly the scene should've been voq tyler trying it and culber being like "hey ow you know you cant actually do that id know im a doctor"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Verviticus posted:

yeah but ultimately the post i was replying to was really engaging in a criticism of the small group of freaks rather than like, offering any real defence of the show. im not exposed to "the fandom menace" so i cant speak to them directly but they're probably right that the people that hate it the most are usually the weird ones

Exactly. I'm not casting judgement on any of the shows one way or the other (I haven't seen Discovery, so I have no real opinion on it, I like the individual pieces of Picard while having issues with the whole assembled product, and Lower Decks is loving amazing). From what I've seen online, especially on Twitter, the vast majority of normal people actually like Disco/Picard/LDS and "New Trek" in general. Each show has done very well in online ratings, and the fact that CBS keeps making more and more and more of them shows that there are consistent eyeballs on them and they're getting good feedback from them. Otherwise axes would start raining from great heights, and they haven't yet.

The people in this thread who don't like them are a microcosm of the normal people who don't like the show in general, people who go "I'm not fond of it and here's why blah blah blah" and then either stop watching it and move on with their lives, or keep watching it in the hope that it will either get better or become something that fits their tastes, or just out of morbid curiosity.

Then there's the folks who hate the show with a roiling unhealthy passion and will take every opening they can find to tell you about it. They have to because for a lot of them, namely the core members of the aforementioned Fandom Menace, their incomes depend on it directly because they have build social media brands out of Hating Star Trek. These folks like, to name a few, Robert Burnett Meyer, Geeks and Gamers, Nerdrotic, Mecharandom, and Doomcock (a literal SS uniform-wearing Nazi, FYI) don't just dislike the franchise, they actively cheer on and conspiracize about its failure, and the ruination and erasure of not just the franchise as a piece of media but of everyone involved in it as well.

People call it Star Trek's QAnon because it basically is. It is self-reinforcing, mostly toxic bullshit, in certain cases actively dangerous, a lucrative grift from a core few at its center, and has the knock-on effect of not just poisoning all discourse surrounding Trek now, but drawing normal people who would be predisposed to it into their line of thinking and radicalizing them to the point where they go from posting "Eh, I don't think I like this show that much" to making fat shaming photoshops of the actress who plays Tilly on Discovery and blasting them all over her Twitter and Facebook accounts for some hosed up brainbroke reason.

Like I said, it's beyond gross and I really loving hate it when people post tweets from these assholes in this thread knowingly or otherwise.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Super Deuce posted:

If Star Trek: Discovery was its own science fiction series without the Star Trek name, it'd be potentially a decent show. It, however, has not been a decent Star Trek show.

"What is Star Trek" is a question with as many answers as there are fans though. Before Deep Space 9, I think a majority of people would have said a Star Trek is one set on a Federation starship exploring strange new worlds. My personal view is that Trek should be "morality tales in space with an ultimately optimistic view of the future and also there are photon torpedos".

DISCO's problems aren't that it's Not Trek Enough, it's just been a bit of a hot mess plot-and-writing-wise.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Star Trek: Tears of our lord and saviour Michael Burnham

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

mllaneza posted:

The Guardian was a signer in the treaty and it will gently caress You Up if you violate.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

DISCO's problems aren't that it's Not Trek Enough, it's just been a bit of a hot mess plot-and-writing-wise.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

I watched all of Lower Decks and its the only Star Trek I’ve seen all of.

I somehow get the impression that it’s the most Star Trek of all recent Star Treks.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

mllaneza posted:

TBF I'm still waiting for them to mention anything or any party from Temporal Accords, where it took place or any other info and see if it correlates with (mostly) beta canon of ST:O

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They should just go full stupid and bring out Melllvar.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Just bring back the dude from The Squire of Gothos but now he's a grown-up and wants to freeze the Discovery in time so nobody can get their fingerprints all over it and ruin its resale value.

So yeah, basically the Futurama episode but with neckbeards.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

feedmyleg posted:

Just bring back the dude from The Squire of Gothos but now he's a grown-up and wants to freeze the Discovery in time so nobody can get their fingerprints all over it and ruin its resale value.

So yeah, basically the Futurama episode but with neckbeards.

But you repeat yourself.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes I saw that and I was disappointed when they got no lines in that meeting scene

It's also been a little strange how few aliens are at Starfleet HQ. There have been some in the background but none are named people.

There was one captain that looked like a giant bug's rear end that I'm pretty sure had a name when they were sent on a mission

Also lol that some random group on twitter or reddit or something that I've never heard of has some influence on my opinions on New Trek

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The Bloop posted:

Also lol that some random group on twitter or reddit or something that I've never heard of has some influence on my opinions on New Trek

It’s less that they’re personally directing the angry discourse, and more that their particular talking points and sound bites have been repeated endlessly by other angry Internet people.

It’s kinda like how no one really gave a poo poo about the Star Wars prequels either way after 2005 until RedLetterMedia started doing their Plinkett reviews. Only in RLM’s case, they actually put fairly well thought out arguments about the movies and it’s not their fault that those video essays have been reduced to sound bites and memes without proper context by idiots.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

nine-gear crow posted:

lol source your quotes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ramadu posted:

lol source your quotes

Hit a little too close to home, did I?