Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

Can we add "TAKE ONE LEVEL IN FOREMAN" and "DO MANAGEMENT TO UNLOCK ERI" to the tread title?

The Foreman thing is such baffling design decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I just realized that the reason Ichiban's hair is so out there is because he's part of a long line of JRPG protagonists with dumb hair.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Doing New Game+ on Legend and it is absolutely brutal. I swear everything one shots you.

The chapter 6 boss had a move that was essentially unsurviviable without absurd grinding so I turned it down to hard and beat it without letting it get a single turn. The difference is pretty stark. On the other hand I'm getting about 200k Job EXP for each fight.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A Bystander posted:

One thing I like sometimes is when you target someone but there's something in the way like a metal beam in the ground, but then your character just walks into it until it pops off before breaking into a sprint to break the target's face. It's pretty amusing to me and it happens whenever I fight in a street more often than not.
If it's something like a traffic cone or a chair they'll kick it into an enemy's face and deal extra damage if it hits.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The chapter 12 boss is a goddamn vertical wall of difficulty where the game goes from "gently caress around and do whatever" to "better have a fuckin plan, boyo". I actually don't think you should bring an idol to the fight, its way easier to have another damage dealer and offload the healing onto bento boxes and takoyaki.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

take the can quest taxi, run north to the corner of the nearby building. repeat until a pseudotrash spawns.

I know this, since its how I fought them before, but II blew about 30k yen on this and 0 spawns so I just gave up.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

If it's something like a traffic cone or a chair they'll kick it into an enemy's face and deal extra damage if it hits.

I get that, but some dude running in place with a metal pole in the way one second, and then it pops out all crumpled the next is just funny as hell to me. I am grateful for when a party member actually hits an enemy with a cone.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I have never seen a single conman spawn aside from two in a side story before I unlocked Part-time Hero and it’s driving me insane.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I should probably just read a guide for these food combos?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The "Kill 10 X dudes" quests are awful, you're given their location in the sujidex but like they're all really rare to spawn for some dumb reason.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I should probably just read a guide for these food combos?

Just buy all the food in a store and it'll unlock all of them

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Some of them are really easy like the billboard guys since they have fixed spawn points.

Others I’ve apparently never ever seen still even with 230 something guys checked off.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Barudak posted:

The chapter 12 boss is a goddamn vertical wall of difficulty where the game goes from "gently caress around and do whatever" to "better have a fuckin plan, boyo". I actually don't think you should bring an idol to the fight, its way easier to have another damage dealer and offload the healing onto bento boxes and takoyaki.

I know this, since its how I fought them before, but II blew about 30k yen on this and 0 spawns so I just gave up.

it worked for me in chapter 13.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Some of them are really easy like the billboard guys since they have fixed spawn points.

Others I’ve apparently never ever seen still even with 230 something guys checked off.

I'm fine with bosses being damage sponges, it's kind of what I expected, but the Invisi-Billboard guy can choke and die

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Admiral Goodenough posted:

I'm fine with bosses being damage sponges, it's kind of what I expected, but the Invisi-Billboard guy can choke and die

There’s regular ones that are only level 11 or so that hang out above and below one of the buildings to the right of the cabaret club. You can taxi back and forth to make them spawn if they aren’t there the first time you check.

You only see them on their own and when you go into battle you get 2-3 turn up.

Edit:

The yellow highlighted areas, for anyone who needs them.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 23, 2020

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Bussamove posted:

I have never seen a single conman spawn aside from two in a side story before I unlocked Part-time Hero and it’s driving me insane.

they're the barker enemies, think one of ems called pimpmaster? only seem to spawn in the red light district at night

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vocational school sidequest

Am I really just not going to not hire this dude, leaving him in the recruits screen forever and then start dating the girl he's crushing on... yes... yes I am

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it'll be nice in a few months when there is an actual sujidex guide and not just endless repetitions of the vague and sometimes incorrect in-game info.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Vocational school sidequest

Am I really just not going to not hire this dude, leaving him in the recruits screen forever and then start dating the girl he's crushing on... yes... yes I am

You should hire him though, his command cost is really low and his charisma is high making him one of the best characters for shareholder battles

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

FutureFriend posted:

they're the barker enemies, think one of ems called pimpmaster? only seem to spawn in the red light district at night

Before you engage, they are similar to yakuza (wearing suits, not Hawaiian shirts, but less pretty boys than the hosts). Once engaged, they carry a purse instead of a bottle. Can spawn during the day as well.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

History Comes Inside! posted:

There’s regular ones that are only level 11 or so that hang out above and below one of the buildings to the right of the cabaret club. You can taxi back and forth to make them spawn if they aren’t there the first time you check.

You only see them on their own and when you go into battle you get 2-3 turn up.

Edit:

The yellow highlighted areas, for anyone who needs them.

This is great, I was really dreading having to go find the ones in the dungeon. Thanks!

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

SpazmasterX posted:

I'm still in chapter 5 but am I correct in thinking that the red job skills are the only ones that carry between all jobs, so there's not much reward in diversity beyond a couple good skills to have all the time?

Edit: nevermind, just saw someone asked the exact same question.

I'm in chap 12 and just realized the stat gains from levels also carry across classes (to clarify : not the + to all stats you get at each level, which only apply when you're in that class ; but if a level gives you +5 X instead of a new skill, then that's applied to base stats, not job stats)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it worked for me in chapter 13.

Whining on the internet is always the cure. Mere seconds after making this post I unintentionally ran into them.

Conmen was the worst grind of all the enemies because they're both a rare spawn and usually appear 1 in an encounter. You're looking for guys in puff jackets and first person mode helps a ton spotting them from a distance. They can appear either with Yakuza or with hosts, the host variation having a purple shirt making it easy to spot. Even the sluggers which were terrifically tedious at least reliably spawned so I was always making progress.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Sota & Yumiko are the cutest couple.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Largepotato posted:

Sota & Yumiko are the cutest couple.

I just did that questline and I'm sure their kids will be literally invincible.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I love how Zhou is an erudite foodie.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Do you have to win the boss fight in chapter 14 because I'm getting whipped pretty hard here and I'm not looking forward to grinding some more.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Trash bag guys - there’s a guaranteed spawn of 5 in the second floor of the Kamurocho sewers, they’re the tough version but not as ridiculous as the tough billboard guys.

They’re up towards the top left corner of the map in an optional dead end room.

A Bystander posted:

Do you have to win the boss fight in chapter 14 because I'm getting whipped pretty hard here and I'm not looking forward to grinding some more.

There are no “oh no you lost, never mind let’s keep going” boss fights.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 23, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Xarbala posted:

I love how Zhou is an erudite foodie.

He also is a dreamcast fan who knows the struggle of the dead vmu battery beep

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Barudak posted:

He also is a dreamcast fan who knows the struggle of the dead vmu battery beep
sega fan in general, it seems. he talks about the game gear version of virtua fighter at some point! i didn't even know that existed!!

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Ugh the baseball minigame is absolute rear end and the only one I truly loathe (well other than golf, but golf always has and always will suck in any format).

Unless I missed something there's literally no way to predict which square the pitch will land in outside of straight pitches, and the batting window is tiny so unless you have the hand/eye coordination of an eagle on PCP the only way to get anywhere is to do each course twice, once to jot down the series of pitches and once to actually do it... gently caress that. I'll look up shogi puzzles online before I do that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Each type of throw has a specific pattern and it tells you which throws appear in each challenge, I'm sure it's possible to learn the minigame and play it by reaction/pattern memorization that way.

e: much like I'm sure it's possible to learn to play shogi

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

Ugh the baseball minigame is absolute rear end and the only one I truly loathe (well other than golf, but golf always has and always will suck in any format).

Unless I missed something there's literally no way to predict which square the pitch will land in outside of straight pitches, and the batting window is tiny so unless you have the hand/eye coordination of an eagle on PCP the only way to get anywhere is to do each course twice, once to jot down the series of pitches and once to actually do it... gently caress that. I'll look up shogi puzzles online before I do that.

The pitches are predetermined for each course, you can easily find a guide that has all the pitches laid out for you if baseball is giving you a problem. (Personally I hate the baseball minigame so I recommend this option highly)

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve only done the first course for the “play 10 mini games” trophy but are all the pitches sequenced still or did they go back to being random?

In the last few games you’ve been able to just take note of the order then do it again knowing where to swing.

E;f,b on the above.

I’m lazy grinding while I work from home for the postgame dungeons and what I really want more than anything in the world right now is a toggle for specific abilities to not be used when set to automatic on the offensive.

I’ve got Eri working on Dealer and she keeps using Russian Roulette and nearly killing random party members so I have to keep intervening to avoid game over. Adaptable would even be a fine alternative if they didn’t automatically use the highest quality consumables first!

Edit: just take her out of the active party why didn’t I think of that sooner :doh:

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 23, 2020

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

A Bystander posted:

bring lots of those party heal lunch kits the survive bartender can make if you dont have an idol with multiheal and use as many debuffs as you can, especially accuracy and attack.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Where's the best place to grind post-game? The Kamurocho Underground Dungeon? Or the True Millenium Tower/Final True Millenium Tower?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Where's the best place to grind post-game? The Kamurocho Underground Dungeon? Or the True Millenium Tower/Final True Millenium Tower?

I’ve been using the former, get to the second level and the third group in has the Invested Vagabond which gives pretty much a full level of xp every time you kill it. Clear those 3 groups, run back up the stairs, save and come back down.

It’s basically a DQ metal slime so you have to focus it with multi-hit attacks/hope for a crit and kill it before it runs away, but even without a crit it has low enough health that you shouldn’t ever miss out on killing it as long as you stick to multi-hits. Joon-Gi Han’s Rapid Shot will get you 3/4 of the way there.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I don't know what you guys are smoking but now that I have a decent shield for enforcer I kind of hate it. He gets a lightning attack, but his MP costs are outrageous for how limited his MP pool is compared to Bodyguard/Breaker. Breaker thus far has kind of been my MVP job against anything that wasn't bashing resistant.

While I'm on it, my brief breakdown of the classes as I've played them so far (chapter 9):

Freelancer: Get the crossclass attack boost, switch out.

Hero: Good utility and healing - seems like something you come back to endgame once you've collected a bunch of cross class skills.

Homeless guy: Seems like the inverse of hero - stick to it with Nanba until you get his bond high enough for Host/Fortuneteller to peg him as your dedicated caster.

Clerk: Thumbtack ninja - good-ish, but kind of a one trick pony. I kept her in it long enough to get the protractor throw for a cross class slashing skill.

Detective/Barmaid - kind of poo poo, crossclass out immediately

Breaker - The Monk analogue - fast as gently caress, hits hard, good breaker weapons are easily crafted/upgraded from the workshop, and Windmill has a deceptively wide range - good for the same reason Clerk is good though has a bit more going on for it when he's not windmilling packs of hobos to death. Innate bludgeon damage is good all around. The one down point is that he's entirely bludgeon based, though that can be remediated with cross class.

Bodyguard - The Dark knight analogue. Almost entirely cut damage focused. Good damage output on single targets and pretty MP efficient on the balance that it does damage to you. I like this skill for Adachi because his detective cross class and character skills all do bludgeon damage so it give him a good variety of physical attacks plus blade resistance for the blade focused bosses

Foreman - Berserker-y analogue. Kind of meh to bad- He's slow, the charge attacks fail if you get hit, though it is your source of cross class fire magic if you're not Nanba. The cross class pickups are rediculously high level compared to the others, so you have to commit big.

Enforcer - I can see why people like him but he just doesn't click with me. He gets bonus resistances with his weapon, but man, he's crazy MP hungry on a job that has some of the worst MP growth. Seems kind of counter-productive to have a tank class who sprints through his MP and can no longer do the enrage/tank thing. Seems like he would be a lot better if I had access to a weapon for him that restored mp on attack.

Host/hostess - Liquor Wizards. MP gained on attacks goes a long way to keeping them active between fizzing enemies to death. Hosts get some fire damage added to the mix, with hostesses getting status ailments. Both get access to physical attacks that do bludgeon and cut as well, so good variety, if a bit flimsy.

Fortuneteller: Haven't started down this yet - was planning on it for Nanba or Ichi once I get him to not be such a dumbass.

Musician: Bard - basically a melee/support hybrid. Damage is in the 'meh' range, but they have level 1 access to blunt and cut attacks, and MP drain is a useful cross-class for some of the other MP hungry jobs *coughENFORCERcoughDEVILROCKERcough* Voltage as a mechanics is all but useless for as rarely as it triggers.

Chef: Hybrid caster/melee - red mage-ish. Weapons for this job are dumb hard to come by for whatever reason so I've not spent much time in it. Seems like it's not as durable as the straight melee guys, but it makes up for it in variety with immediate access to blunt, cut, and fire damage as well as bleed status effect.

Devil Rocker: Just got the quest to open up the weapon vendor that sells these weapons and they are HOW MUCH?? Why couldn't they make one weapon shop craftable? Grinding business minigame to it's conclusion now to buy this and the Matriarch weapon. On paper seems comparable to the Chef with more of a focus on spell damage over melee, though missing the +MP on attack that host/fortuneteller get

Idol - Dedicated healer - though if you give it to Eri with the popsicle weapon you can craft right away when you unlock weapon crafting it can actually do shockingly decent single target damage. I've got Eri set on this currently so she's also got protractor throw for slash damage as well.

Dealer - Ranger/gambler hybrid. Although kind of random, the damage they do is *really* good even when the rando rolls poorly. Good mix of blunt, slash, and one of the few sources of gun damage where I'm at in the game. Kind of MP hungry. Her weapons are hard to come by

Night Queen - Like a straight fighter with mind control flavor. The most durable and straightforward of the lady jobs I've played. The early AoE attack is kind of hard to use well because it's got an odd AoE (but is charmingly enough also one of her cross class' for someone going down Idol) - but charm and brainwash and instant KO are abound in this set. Surprisingly MP efficient too, though pretty much deals exclusively in blunt attacks.

Matriarch: See Devil Rocker. Seems like a paladin-esque support melee, like Hero but with cutting weapons.

Ultimately, aside from Barmaid, I don't think the ladies have any 'bad' jobs, they are all really, really good. I kind of wish the guys got a job that gave them access to gun damage though. Give them like a mail clerk job that shoots guys in the eye with a rubber band pencil slingshot or something.

On a side note - I kind of don't like the business minigame in this game. I miss the Hostess Club minigame from Y0 in terms of engagement and complexity. The Y7 business game is largely just a timesink of watching bars fill up and occasionally siccing a chicken on shareholders.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 23, 2020

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I just finished post-game spoiler Final Millenium Tower and absolutely clowned every single boss at levels 76-78. Amon was a little annoying because he turned invincible at certain points until his next turn to change phase, but overall a cakewalk.

I’m gonna go to True Final Millenium Tower and see if that’s worth grinding over the sewer because the first one absolutely isn’t.

Edit: haha maybe not post-game endgame spoilers:

I think I’ll hold off

I went in anyway and got one shot by the first enemy on the first turn. Straight to title screen!

There must be a quicker way to level out there because that job rank suggestion is bananas. Even with two xp multipliers that’s 10s of hours of work.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 23, 2020

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Madmarker posted:

The pitches are predetermined for each course, you can easily find a guide that has all the pitches laid out for you if baseball is giving you a problem. (Personally I hate the baseball minigame so I recommend this option highly)

Yeah I know, but that's just busywork I'm just not prepared to do. And is not in any way remotely fun to do.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Clobberwheel is very comparable to thumbtacks, you just get it later.

Grand Helmsplitter from detective is probably the best blunt transferable single target in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

just finished it. overall awesome game but the last fight was kinda bullshit having an enemy that can instakill you and get multiple turns. peerless resolve is a must.