Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Who the gently caress is shouting "Watch NOAH and Dragon Gate" at my thread. Show yourself, coward. I will never watch NOAH and Dragon Gate.

(I might start watching NOAH and Dragon Gate.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Watch NOAH or Dragon Gate. Or DDT.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Watch TJPW (and by extension DDT and select NOAH shows)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
This is a really cool thing

https://twitter.com/voiceswrestling/status/1330797146497544192

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Sami Zayn?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Alternatively

https://twitter.com/TrevorDame/status/1330803906130046976?s=20

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I vote for Vince McMahon for creating jobs and revenue in Florida and taking the hammers on his plane.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Not for nothing but shouldn't the 2020 winner of the Shad Gaspard Award be Shad Gaspard?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

STAC Goat posted:

Not for nothing but shouldn't the 2020 winner of the Shad Gaspard Award be Shad Gaspard?

I would assume he's getting 99.9% of the vote, yes.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Well we're heading into the home stretch, with Omega/Moxley coming up that could decide the WOTY race*.

I'm still voting for Mox win or lose, but if that match lives up to expectations then he also needs some Most Outstanding love. His title reign has been defined by consistently great matches, all worked in a completely different way depending on his opponent and the story. This versatility is something I never expected out of him, even back when I was one of the hardest Dean Ambrose defenders.

*(with apologies to NOAH stans, Go Shiozaki ain't winning WOTY -- realistically, it's been a two-man race since the summer. But a top 5 finish is very possible with the buzz his title matches have gotten)

Benne fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 28, 2020

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Benne posted:

WOTY -- realistically, it's been a two-man race

Three man race because in the words of Will "William the Thrilliam" Ospreay there's NAITO AS WELL!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Benne posted:

*(with apologies to NOAH stans, Go Shiozaki ain't winning WOTY -- realistically, it's been a two-man race since the summer. But a top 5 finish is very possible with the buzz his title matches have gotten)

Understandable, not enough people watch CyberFight promotions. Go's still the best in the world for us in the know

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

Understandable, not enough people watch CyberFight promotions. Go's still the best in the world for us in the know

:hai:

I don't think Go will win because he's not in AEW & until the sheen wears off them they will continue to do well in WON awards, but he should be the top rated Japan-based wrestler. Where NOAH have come from in these 12 months is far more impressive than anything else & a lot of that is on the back of Go Shiozaki.

That said, as far as I know Meltzer rated one of his 6 title matches, the Nakajima one, so if he even makes the top 5 I'd be impressed. But those of us who know, we know.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Rarity posted:

Three man race because in the words of Will "William the Thrilliam" Ospreay there's NAITO AS WELL!

If the year ended in February, maybe.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Even if the build has been questionable Naito very much has draw of the year locked up with the 2 Dome shows and the Jingu stadium show. Also he had a fairly decent G1 so he will probably be third even if Go has had a more impressive year rebuilding NOAH. Japan MVP should probably be Go even if I'm not sure it'll shake out that way and I could see the last few big NOAH shows maybe tilting the Japanese awards his way too

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I've tried to stay on the train for Naito and he really, really tried as hard as he could in the G1, but Moxley has just increasingly run away in this race every week and being totally honest, Naito's booking has just not been good this year and it's really hurt his case. Everyone of his championship feuds after January 5th was basically the same thing and they were all really bad, through no fault of his own. There's an alternate timeline out there where he has the match with Hiromu and he's defending both belts separately and he's in the good G1 block and he probably has a much, much stronger case, but, alas. Naito still probably has best box office because, like, literally who else is there, but I dunno if he's even in third place for WotY anymore.

I didn't watch a second of NOAH this year, but, I keep hearing about how great Go is and how good their main events are and NJPW is rapidly losing me, so NOAH and Dragon Gate might be replacing NJPW on the docket, depending on how WK15 goes.

Can we talk about Taz? I currently have Mox ahead of him for Best on Interviews, but Taz is moonwalking to Best Non-Wrestler at this point, right?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Taz is clearly best non-wrestler to me. Heyman sounds like he's doing his typically strong stuff in WWE. Jake Roberts and Tully Blanchard have had decent years but neither has set it on fire to me. They seem like decent picks for second or third if that's in category A this year.

I think I have Kingston above Mox for best on Interviews. It's really close, though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Taz is the rightful owner of: Best Non Wrestler, Best Announcer, Best on Interviews and Most Improved.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I still think Most Improved has to be Britt Baker. She was awful this time last year.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Best Announcer has to go to Excalibur until they have an award for "Best at rehabbing other announcers"

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pylons posted:

I still think Most Improved has to be Britt Baker. She was awful this time last year.

I'm still on Hangman because I think his character improvement has just been fantastic this year, but Britt's a really good shout.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I think I said Master Wato as my most improved at the time, but Douki has been so much better since getting snubbed for the NJ Cup. I used to like him for his character work while his in-ring was rough, but man's putting up some legitimately great matches compared to last years BOSJ. Or :yoshihashi: going from possible career ending knee injury to challenging for dual championships in 6 months.

And since I don't watch AEW, best announcer is still Milano Collection AT. He got betrayed by both EVIL and Ospreay, now all he's got left is Sanada, truly a fate worse than death

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Taichi also has a real shot at most improved with his tag run and having a great G1 too

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Taichi also has a real shot at most improved with his tag run and having a great G1 too

Pffft, Taichi ruled last year too.

Earlier I said Akira Francesco but now I might say it's Gabriel Kidd. If you're a young wrestler and can spend a year in a dojo it clearly helps you come along leaps and bounds.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Nnnaaaah, Taichi was okay last year. If you went from like, his 2017 or his 2018 to his 2020, then sure.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

Pffft, Taichi ruled last year too.

He did but he's even better now, he's definitely in with a shout

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Most Improved is for active wrestlers only. I asked Dave if Stephanie McMahon was eligible a few years ago when she was an actually effective heel who didn’t cut the entire roster off at the knees and he said she was not eligible.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's gonna go to Roman and we should probably stop pretending otherwise at this point. People are really into that Tribal Chief thing for whatever reason.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I need to find a way to campaign for that HIAC match for worst match so everybody that's throwing roses at it has a meltdown.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Benne posted:

It's gonna go to Roman and we should probably stop pretending otherwise at this point. People are really into that Tribal Chief thing for whatever reason.

It's because he's finally a heel after his horrendous babyface singles run.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Power Windows posted:

It's because he's finally a heel after his horrendous babyface singles run.

yes it turns out the fans clammering for the bad guy to be a bad guy as they think he would be excellent as a bad guy turns out to be right

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Punch McLightning posted:

Most Improved is for active wrestlers only. I asked Dave if Stephanie McMahon was eligible a few years ago when she was an actually effective heel who didn’t cut the entire roster off at the knees and he said she was not eligible.

Good thing Taz did the Tazmission this week making him eligible.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Benne posted:

Look, he's The Big DogTribal Chief and this is his yardhe's at the head of the table. It's a big change in character.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Excalibur is a better commentator than Taz and if Excalibur wasn't there it would be hell on earth. Excalibur was better than Kevin Kelly last year and he's miles better this year. He's the Steve Nash of commentary.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lid posted:

Excalibur is a better commentator than Taz and if Excalibur wasn't there it would be hell on earth. Excalibur was better than Kevin Kelly last year and he's miles better this year. He's the Steve Nash of commentary.

He's the best English language commentator but in major companies that's not that high a bar.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

Taz is much better than Excalibur.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Taz is much better than Excalibur.

I'd like to see Excalibur dissect moves with the technician's eye that Taz provides.

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

i'd like to see excalibur effortlessly name hats based on their city of origin like taz can

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Didn’t notice this thread until now, will note I primarily watch AEW with the occasional one off indie show.

Category "A" Awards: You vote three times for these.
Lou Thesz/Ric Flair "Wrestler of the Year" Award: Jon Moxley, Kenny Omega,
Most Outstanding Wrestler: Kenny Omega, Rey Fenix, Hangman Page
Tag Team of the Year: Hangman/Omega, Best Friends, Young Bucks
Best on Interviews: Eddie Kingston, Jon Moxley, Ricky Starks
Promotion of the Year: AEW
Best Weekly TV Show: Dynamite
Pro Wrestling Match of the Year: Hangman/Omega vs Young Bucks, Santana/Ortiz vs Best Friends Parking Lot Fight, Omega/PAC Iron Man

Category "B" Awards: You vote once for these.
US/Canada MVP: Moxley
Women's Wrestling MVP: Thunder Rosa
Feud of the Year: Kingston/Mox
Most Improved: Britt Baker
Bruiser Brody Memorial "Best Brawler" Award: Brodie Lee
Best Flying Wrestler: Fenix
Rookie of the Year: Anna Jay
Best Non-Wrestler: Taz
Best Television Announcer: Excalibur
Worst Television Announcer: JR
Best Major Wrestling Show: Revolution
Best Wrestling Maneuver: Will Hobbs’s Spinebuster
Worst Match of the Year: Matt/Sammy @ All Out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

John Dudebro posted:

i'd like to see excalibur effortlessly name hats based on their city of origin like taz can

Excalibur didn't know Pandas were mainly from the cold forests.