Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

404notfound posted:

Game Pass is great.

Agreed. I've had my Xbox One S since Feb of 2019, and unfortunately had like 5 months of Game Pass that ended up wasting away due having to move and stuff. I only had a chance to play Rise of the Tomb Raider on it, but that was fun. I recently added Game Pass Ultimate again with my stockpile of Microsoft Reward points, and then added 12-month EA Play codes for ~$20 (that converts to 4 months of Game Pass Ultimate) to get a year+ subscription. Been playing through Nier Automata for the first time; finished up Route A a few days ago and am currently making my way through Route B. Game is fun is hell and yeah, seeing all the new content added to Game Pass now that it has EA Play games is crazy. Such insane value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its ok to buy a game you want. Rdr 2 is out there for you

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Gamepass and Playstation Plus' free games aren't really all that comparable anyway.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I started my playthrough of Shadow of the Tomb Raider shortly before I had to move, but by the time I was able to settle in and start playing it again, it had already left Game Pass. That was a bummer, but I just picked up the definitive edition of the game yesterday for $9.85 using a $5 credit balance Microsoft gifted me and another 10% off the sale price using my Cash Card boost :haw:

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Is there a way to add a game to a wishlist from the web store? I won’t get my SX until next weekend but I want to start curating a list of games I may want to buy.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I ended up getting control, and I'm loving it so far. It's got a style I really like. I'm intrigued to see where the story will go.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tsietisin posted:

I ended up getting control, and I'm loving it so far. It's got a style I really like. I'm intrigued to see where the story will go.

The story is pedestrian its the lore, setting, and collectible documents/logs that shine imo

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Guess I will also be getting a series x in future, psnow is nowhere as good as gamepass.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Tsietisin posted:

How does it compare to Quantum Break? I really tried to like that game but just couldn't. Never finished it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

How does it compare to Quantum Break? I really tried to like that game but just couldn't. Never finished it.

It's not really very similar at all aside from being a third person shooter with superpowers. It's way, way more interesting and exciting than Quantum Break.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah I thought Quantum Break was fine but Control is a great game and was my GOTY last year.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
This is good to know. I bought the Ultimate Edition from the Microsoft Store a few days ago for £17.49. Is there decent replayability with the game? I was planning to wait for the next-gen update but might give it a whirl sooner.

Does it run at 60FPS on the Series X?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

You should probably wait for the next-gen upgrade, I'm not sure exactly how stable it is, but the game runs pretty poorly on a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Monster Hunter world plays like a dream on resolution mode, and the Iceborne DLC is on sale as well. Definitely a game that benefits from the vastly improved loadtimes as well can barely finish reading the first loading screen tip

Also they now give you a good set of armor and weapons straight off the bat so there's pretty much zero farming required it seems for the first runthrough.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As a general reminder Game Pass Ultimate comes with xbox live gold included so if you'd like to "own" 4 very middling/old as hell games a month* its cheaper than buying game pass and gold separately.

*Full Spectrum Warrior which is an interesting time capsule with unique design and a game Im still mad they hired a designer from for Gears 4 and still ended up with mediocre by not stealing from it.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 23, 2020

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I started playing Ghost Recon Breakpoint on Resolution mode which is 4k and it was fine. Yesterday I switched it to Performance mode, which is 1080p @ 60hz. So much better with how smooth everything moves. The only thing is I'm seeing weird glitches now and one time I fell thru a mountain into the abyss and eventually died. I haven't experienced these issues in the 100+ hours on XboneX and about 10 hours XSX in resolution mode. I tried to switch back to resolution mode but after experiencing 60hz it's unplayable in 4k mode.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Barudak posted:

As a general reminder Game Pass Ultimate comes with xbox live gold included so if you'd like to "own" 4 very middling/old as hell games a month* its cheaper than buying game pass and gold separately.

*Full Spectrum Warrior which is an interesting time capsule with unique design and a game Im still mad they hired a designer from for Gears 4 and still ended up with mediocre by not stealing from it.

As an aside, the cheapest conversion I've seen to stock up on Game Pass Ultimate is to buy 12-month EA Play codes for Xbox here: https://www.shopto.net/en/dwnld37378-ea-access-12-month-subscription-p180020/ for $21.91, which when redeemed converts to 4 months of Game Pass Ultimate. That's roughly $4.38 a month for Game Pass Ultimate. Unsure of how much it'll stack, as I only bought two codes, which was enough to put my subscription at just over a year in combination with the months I already had.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That looks a bit more expensive than just buying 12mo gold cards from Amazon or CDKeys for $60, I know CDK didn’t charge me tax on that as well.

Best price I saw was $93 or so for 2 years at Costco but every time my friend put through the purchase for me it would cancel, so maybe they ran out (this was day or two before launch).

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

That looks a bit more expensive than just buying 12mo gold cards from Amazon or CDKeys for $60, I know CDK didn’t charge me tax on that as well.

Does Xbox Live Gold convert 1:1 to Game Pass still? I thought I read somewhere it changed to 3:1 now, which is why I went the EA Play route. Also Shopit didn't charge tax for my orders.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah did 1:1 for me, just double checked and mine renews 12/9/2022.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah did 1:1 for me, just double checked and mine renews 12/9/2022.

Sweet, good to know :)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

So what's all this talk about 3rd party games playing better on ps5 that Reddit is freaking out about? I honestly wouldn't have got both systems if that continues.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

So what's all this talk about 3rd party games playing better on ps5 that Reddit is freaking out about? I honestly wouldn't have got both systems if that continues.

Seltzer posted:

Yea it's all really funny and reminiscent of the Xbox running at 250f poo poo.

Xbox's dev kit is a lot newer and ubi and other devs are trying to poo poo out games across generations and a ton of platforms during a pandemic basically.

The fact COD just released and is crashing new and old xbox and PS consoles should tell you how well this year is going for new releases. Speaking of I don't like cod really but a bunch of friends have it but I'm not getting it until the crashing is resolved and a sale is in effect

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 23, 2020

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Oh Also Yakuza is still GOTY and if you want to do a quick test on how you feel with 30 vs 60 fps just go back and forth between the 4k 30 and 1440 60 mode in the options real quick. The 1440 60 is so much better.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

reddit Console warrioring is a bad illness

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 48 minutes!
a competent outfit did thermal, power, and noise testing on the ps5, memory cooling issues are there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmggkW6usmQ

presume the series x/s ones are in the pipeline

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

This was always how it was going to play out. Devs are lazy, and due to the larger player base they'll prioritize PlayStation every time (especially internationally). Things are also messy with the Xbox software development due to so many different SKUs that the devs has to aim for (e.g. that Dirt 5 low assets thing if it's indeed a bug and the Series X is thinking it's a Series S because even the machines can't keep the names straight). PS4 Pro vs XB1X played out similarly where relatively few games had significant boosts on XB1X compared to the Pro (with a few even still being better on the PS4 Pro), and that was a much more significant power difference than this time around where the power difference is in "rounding error" territory (and where the PS5 does have performance advantages in certain key areas that it didn't with the PS4 Pro-XB1X dynamic).

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The Dirt 5 thing is actually way broader than just a bug with the highest framerate mode, there's some weird areas where the PS5 is better in the other modes, too.

One of the development leads was also very complimentary of the Xbox developmental toolkit, so I think they've just had a bad run at it. That game's looked kind of rough in all respects.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It takes time to figure this stuff out and PS versions of games sold way more than Xbox versions last gen so that's probably what was prioritised. I am not a developer but with how the Series X BC basically seems to make games magically run like they are almost next gen I do wonder if there are shortcuts devs can take on the Series X version of a game in a similar manner?

Seltzer posted:

Oh Also Yakuza is still GOTY and if you want to do a quick test on how you feel with 30 vs 60 fps just go back and forth between the 4k 30 and 1440 60 mode in the options real quick. The 1440 60 is so much better.

It is a very good game. I played most of the games on PS4 and this is the first time I got it on Xbox and oh man not having the game be 20 FPS at times is such a revelation. I honestly expected my Series S to be The Gamepass Machine (I am getting a ps5 at some point) but Yakuza being X/S exclusive at launch and also very good has put that plan on hold

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I don’t really get how the PlayStation is more popular than the Xbox.
I’ve been helping my brother and his daughter level their characters in fortnite and it’s just grueling using the PlayStation controller and the interface pisses me off. I think the ps3 was overall better than the PS4 due to backwards compatibility etc. I was really upset after I got my PS4 that I couldn’t play my PS3 games on it. Had to re-buy toe jam and earl on Xbox and I can play it from my 360, xbo, and xsx.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Lightyears better IMO. Quantum Break did everything in its power to try to be not a fun game. Control is all about fun.

otter posted:

it has good games that you can't get on PC

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

teagone posted:

Sweet, good to know :)

Just to avoid any confusion, the 1:1 conversion only happens if you don't have an active Ultimate sub at the moment. You first redeem your Gold code(s) and then subscribe to Ultimate (probably have to pay the full price for a single month) to convert them into Ultimate.

However, when your Ultimate sub is still active, the conversion rate for 12-month Gold codes is 3:1.

Zat fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Nov 23, 2020

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Shirkelton posted:

The Dirt 5 thing is actually way broader than just a bug with the highest framerate mode, there's some weird areas where the PS5 is better in the other modes, too.

One of the development leads was also very complimentary of the Xbox developmental toolkit, so I think they've just had a bad run at it. That game's looked kind of rough in all respects.

The Digital Foundry video talks about the PlayStation 5 version too. It has big frame rate drops in some tracks and a weird v-sync implementation that introduces duplicate frames and judder.

I don't know why the story of this game is anything other than the game developer bit off a bit more than they could chew tech-wise during a pandemic, but people should really watch the video instead of relying on screenshots or forums chat.

The game is quite fun if you want a new arcade racer, and the developers have said that a patch is coming soon. Hopefully they keep smoothing the game out.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

otter posted:

I’ve been helping my brother and his daughter level their characters in fortnite and it’s just grueling using the PlayStation controller and the interface pisses me off. I think the ps3 was overall better than the PS4 due to backwards compatibility etc. I was really upset after I got my PS4 that I couldn’t play my PS3 games on it. Had to re-buy toe jam and earl on Xbox and I can play it from my 360, xbo, and xsx.

I have never bought an Xbox before this gen, I usually buy Sony + Nintendo consoles

- Nintendo games are only on Nintendo Consoles. They are very good
- Recently, Sony games have only been on Sony consoles - and they are also increasingly pretty good. I wouldn't say I love every single one of them but some of my favorites on the PS4 were Sony games in a way I never expected in earlier gens. It isn't gonna be every single game but I would rather play Bloodborne over Halo personally
- A lot of Japanese devs do Sony exclusivity. Less so these days, But FF7 Remake, Persona 5, up until recently the Yakuza games; none of these were on Xbox or PC. Increasingly some of these developers are starting to release stuff on PC in a way that may remove this reason to own a PS5 with time, but it hasn't happened yet.

This gen, instead of upgrading my PC which is getting pretty drat old I got a Series S and will get a PS5 at some point

- Series S because any cross-platform games I can get on the PS5, if they aren't on Gamepass. I have no old Xbox discs so that's less of a concern.
- Gamepass. Yes I know it's on PC. My PC is old and runs stuff like poo poo. For $300 every game on gamepass will run better than my PC. I cannot get a new GPU for $300 that will do that. I already filled up my hard drive + another portable drive i had lying around with games I heard of but never managed to buy and I'm really excited to just jump in and play so much good stuff
- Gamepass again honestly. With Sony I'm gonna have to pay $70 or wait for sales to play their exclusives. I'm already paying for gamepass and if Halo Infinite comes out and is poo poo I'll delete it and go back to playing something else

Controller wise the Series S controller is really really good. I haven't used the PS5 one yet. I do like the Series S interface a lot more than PS4, and how it sets up with an app while you're downloading stuff. But I also found the default Series S dashboard extremely in your face about trying to get you to buy stuff, engage in their online platforms, buy gamepass, blah blah. You can tell MS is a modern tech company first, who happen to be making a gaming machine - and I think this is the first gen I felt that with Xboxes?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The dirt $ series is also way less impressive than the dirt rally series. Different animals but dirt rally is all codemasters and it's a waaaay better game.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

wandler20 posted:

I started playing Ghost Recon Breakpoint on Resolution mode which is 4k and it was fine. Yesterday I switched it to Performance mode, which is 1080p @ 60hz. So much better with how smooth everything moves. The only thing is I'm seeing weird glitches now and one time I fell thru a mountain into the abyss and eventually died. I haven't experienced these issues in the 100+ hours on XboneX and about 10 hours XSX in resolution mode. I tried to switch back to resolution mode but after experiencing 60hz it's unplayable in 4k mode.
Weirdly my son and I have noticed being able to get out of bounds in Lego City Undercover on Series S in a way we never did in hours and hours on a base Xbone...

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Barudak posted:

I don't currently have an xbox newer than 360 but to be very very clear, this is the "Games with Gold" where you still permanently own them if you 'claim' them, even if you cancel gold?

Or can you only play them while you have a gold membership?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

falz posted:

I don't currently have an xbox newer than 360 but to be very very clear, this is the "Games with Gold" where you still permanently own them if you 'claim' them, even if you cancel gold?

Or can you only play them while you have a gold membership?

On a 360 you own them forever because there’s no way to revoke the software license or something. More of a bug than a feature.

On anything newer than a 360 you have access to all the games you’ve claimed with gold while you have an active gold subscription.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
So the form distinction for the 360 is only when playing them on that console, and if playing 360 games on an xbone adds that drm in to force you to have active gold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

falz posted:

So the form distinction for the 360 is only when playing them on that console, and if playing 360 games on an xbone adds that drm in to force you to have active gold?

Nah you do in fact permanently keep your redeemed Xbox 360 Games with Gold, possibly OG Xbox BC games too, regardless of what your physical console is. There has been confusion about this in the past, but I can personally attest that this is the case.