Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

dispatch_async posted:

It's actually weirder than that. Two full doses >1 month apart was 62% effective. A half dose followed by a full dose >1 month later was 90% effective. 70% is the average when combining all the people from both samples.

I'm guessing that's not what they expected since they enrolled a lot more people in the full two dose regimen.

The half dose thing is interesting but like you say, it's only a small subset so is suspicious at least to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

multijoe posted:

That is amazing news though, we've ordered 100M doses of the vaccine so this should effectively mean the entire adult population should now have access to an working vaccine.

Pfizer and Moderna kinda spoilt us with their 95% efficacies though, 70%? Pffft

E: reading the article, two doses reach 90% efficacy so I'll let them off
The Pfizer and Moderns vaccine need ultra-cool storage requirements and special glass vials that sound like it will pose a serious challenge to scaling to a global level. This vaccine doesn't have that issue.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

multijoe posted:

That is amazing news though, we've ordered 100M doses of the vaccine so this should effectively mean the entire adult population should now have access to an working vaccine.

Is that 100m doses of two injections or 100m seperate injections?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I just want a nurse to jab a needle in my arm and tell me that now I don't need to worry about Covid any more tbh :shrug:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Pistol_Pete posted:

I just want a nurse to jab a needle in my arm and tell me that now I don't need to worry about Covid any more tbh :shrug:

they can do that now if you ask for pavulon

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

Somewhere, a monkey finger begins to curl

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Is that 100m doses of two injections or 100m seperate injections?

100M separate injections, so we currently have 50/75 million full vaccinations depending on the full results from 1.5 dose group, plus another 20 million full Pfizer vaccinations and 2.5 million Moderna vaccinations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Pistol_Pete posted:

The friendly people at Dignitas can help you friend

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Pistol_Pete posted:

from the afterlife, harold shipman softly sighs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
BBC giving lgb alliance air time

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1330758709140729856?s=19

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Pistol_Pete posted:

"This ebola will chase it right the gently caress out of you"

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Yeah I read this story this morning, and it's disgraceful how they drop a quote from those transphobes in without a single comment about who they are.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pablo Bluth posted:

The Pfizer and Moderns vaccine need ultra-cool storage requirements and special glass vials that sound like it will pose a serious challenge to scaling to a global level. This vaccine doesn't have that issue.

Oh yeah, I meant to add that too. That makes a significant difference to ease and speed of rollout. Plus apparently the NHS is responsible for delivering it, not Capita or G4S or Serco or whoever.

i also saw this on the Oxford website. Might be whitewashing but interesting nonetheless:

quote:

A key element of Oxford’s partnership with AstraZeneca is the joint commitment to provide the vaccine on a not-for-profit basis for the duration of the pandemic across the world, and in perpetuity to low- and middle-income countries.

Compared to the other vaccines it is also much, much cheaper - $3-4 per dose, compared to $20-25.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Just to check the article in question is "Trans teen in legal action over gender clinic wait"?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Moderna vaccine was regular frozen, not super frozen iirc?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Damnit. Worst guy you know, good point etc

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

ConanThe3rd posted:

Just to check the article in question is "Trans teen in legal action over gender clinic wait"?

Yeah it is.

I've submitted a complaint because it fairly clearly violates the BBC's impartiality guidelines, but not expecting anything.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

multijoe posted:

Damnit. Worst guy you know, good point etc

Jog on actually seems to be surprisingly good on trans issues which yes, is a surprise.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Jog on actually seems to be surprisingly good on trans issues which yes, is a surprise.

He's been good on a number of things lately. I reckon its because they've mostly been social issues and he actually is a liberal rather than being a conservative who doesn't want to think they're a bad person like most british liberals.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think as someone previously said, the TERFs and "it's basic biology" people genuinely expected science and medicine to come down on their side, and now that volumes of evidence and studies are coming out showing that, no, it's actually them that has been performing horrific unnecessary cosmetic surgery on children, they're fully losing their minds and the sort of barristers that might not believe a trans person but will believe a panel of doctors are stepping up to the plate.

MrTundra
Aug 19, 2014

therattle posted:

i also saw this on the Oxford website. Might be whitewashing but interesting nonetheless:

Compared to the other vaccines it is also much, much cheaper - $3-4 per dose, compared to $20-25.

This has been the case since the beginning of development of this vaccine - it was always intended for global distribution and indeed work was started on it before coronaviruses were being taken seriously as a threat to the West.
Source - I work with the Jenner Institute on other projects

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Good morning comrades, hope you had a good weekend.

I had coffee on Saturday with a comrade who has decided to stay in the party for now and 'be a nuisance'. He said around 20% of local CLP members have either resigned or are 'in arrears' and there are another bunch of annual renewals due in January from all the insurgents who joined last January to vote for The Starmster so to be seen how many of those don't renew. Many of those who have quit were the 'activists' - tramping around our geographically wide-spread constituency delivering leaflets, canvassing, staffing the stalls. We have local county and town council elections postponed from this year and Senedd coming up in May so depending on the covid situation, that could present a difficulty.

Also, many are wavering badly. They had a branch AGM last week and passed a motion on local party democracy (as many others have done in the past week or so on) as in against Evans' order 'not to discuss anything meaningful at local CLP level' and another against the abstention in the spycops bill where apparently one of the speakers for the motion - as in against spycops bill - was one of the most right wing members who had quit under Corbyn and returned when Starmer got in.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Today programme is really doing a full court press on the "amazing news" - direct quote - that the AstraZeneca vaccine gives 70% protection. Presumably our impartial state broadcaster have been told to give the one vaccine least likely to affected by hosed up post-Brexit logistics the big 'un.

post-Brexit we adorn the hearth with mistletoe and carry around our posies for to deter the evil vapors from our persons lest we succumb and be carried away to our graves on the plague cart :ohdear:

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Speaking of 5G

Yes I'm aware it's from 2019

Idk where exactly she went but she'd have had a different holiday if she'd visited Short Strand

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Red Oktober posted:

It does make theoretical sense, but it’s not a factor I’ve ever seen used. Are you registered on the electoral roll? If not then that’s a major ding - but you can help by speaking to the three agencies (in the MSE link below) and sending them some proof of where you live like a utility bill.

The order of scoring is almost always:

Payment history - you’re good here. Generally around 35% of your score.
Credit utilisation - are you at the limits of your lending? That’s bad if so. But you don’t want too much available either, 35% utilisation is good.
Credit history length - how long have you had credit for.
What types do you have - they like to see a mix of different types.
And lastly, any recent ‘hard’ enquiries. This is only when you actually apply for a line of credit - not when you just check if you are eligible.

Next time you get a rejection ask foe the agency used - they have to give you this - and check with the agency what information they have on you.

I would grab a free copy for each of the three agencies, moneysavingexpert has a guide. If I had to guess then I’d say you either have incomplete address information, or a link to someone with bad history.

One last thing people often forget to do is make sure their postal address is correct for all of your billed products. For instance if you have a phone contract but get all your bills online you might not bother to tell them if you move (because they don’t post bills to you). But this will show up as inconsistent addresses when checked.

Ahh thanks, I'll have a look. All I have is a student loan which is probably another part of the problem. The inconsistent adresses definitely too, I had no idea that was an issue, I move about a fair bit and tend to forget to update it.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Red Oktober posted:

It does make theoretical sense, but it’s not a factor I’ve ever seen used. Are you registered on the electoral roll? If not then that’s a major ding

Err, correct me if I am wrong, but you can't be on the electoral roll if you are the sort of foreigner who doesn't get to vote. In which case it is very much a factor by proxy.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

feedmegin posted:

Err, correct me if I am wrong, but you can't be on the electoral roll if you are the sort of foreigner who doesn't get to vote. In which case it is very much a factor by proxy.

Yes, but private speech could be Irish, commonwealth, EU or living in Scotland/Wales, all of which allow them to be on the roll.

To clarify - being on the roll is a factor I’ve seen, being a foreigner is not (although certain nationalities have different weightings attached for fraud and AML purposes, which can have an influence)

I vaguely recall that Student loan isn’t much use to the checking agencies because it doesn’t show ‘willingness’ to pay back, as it’s deducted at source.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Nov 23, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Red Oktober posted:

commonwealth
:can:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Ms Adequate posted:

Priti Patel engaging in negotiations with a foreign power behind the back of Cabinet and the PM

Bizarrely this is the one that sticks out the most for me, that proves we are past the point of things mattering. Lots of people dying is a statistic (and also how dare you say the Tories murdered them, gammongammon), but the fact that you can now be fired/resign in disgrace for doing a bad thing, and come back moments later in a high-level cabinet position, is something that the actual political decorum types would have been outraged by just last decade.

Red Oktober posted:

Yes, but private speech could be Irish, commonwealth, EU or living in Scotland/Wales, all of which allow them to be on the roll.

This just made me think, I'm assuming that new EU arrivals after January won't be allowed to vote in local elections. What about people who got in before the music stopped? Will they be grandfathered in, or will local elections be for local people only from next year?

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Nov 23, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if that is a feature of the vitriol against corbyn, it lets all the journalists take the tories dick out of their mouths long enough to pretend they still hold anyone to account.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Red Oktober posted:

To clarify - being on the roll is a factor I’ve seen, being a foreigner is not (although certain nationalities have different weightings attached for fraud and AML purposes, which can have an influence)

My point is that if you can't be on the roll because you're a foreigner, then by implication being (that kind of a) foreigner is in fact effectively a factor.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

feedmegin posted:

My point is that if you can't be on the roll because you're a foreigner, then by implication being (that kind of a) foreigner is in fact effectively a factor.

Foreigners who are Irish, from the commonwealth, EU or living in Scotland/Wales can be on the roll.

Edit: ah, “that kind”. Yes, it’s a factor if they can’t verify address through it. The best way to deal is to contact the 3 agencies with proof of your address in that case.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Nov 23, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder if that is a feature of the vitriol against corbyn, it lets all the journalists take the tories dick out of their mouths long enough to pretend they still hold anyone to account.

Probably. When it looks like someone in paliament is being held to account for being a real bad guy, that must mean all the others are not real bad guys, because if they were they would be held to account similarly, right?

I loving hate our media industry so much.

Bobstar posted:

Bizarrely this is the one that sticks out the most for me, that proves we are past the point of things mattering. Lots of people dying is a statistic (and also how dare you say the Tories murdered them, gammongammon), but the fact that you can now be fired/resign in disgrace for doing a bad thing, and come back moments later in a high-level cabinet position, is something that the actual political decorum types would have been outraged by just last decade.

This has been the case for at least 5 if not 10 years though. Remember disgraced former defence secretary Liam Fox who held several other cabinet positions after his disgrace?

Remember Jeremy Hunt facing precisely zero consequences for the single biggest strike by medical workers in the last at least 50 years, possibly ever?

In fact, Fox was probably, looking back, the trial balloon to an extent. If he coudl get back in to high level positions and nobody would actively give a gently caress, they knew anyone could, so they stopped carig.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Red Oktober posted:

Foreigners who are Irish, from the commonwealth, EU or living in Scotland/Wales can be on the roll.

I know this. For the third time there is a reason I said 'a particular kind'. My American wife, for example. The credit industry can say it doesn't discriminate against (A KIND OF ffs) foreigner, but in fact it does.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

feedmegin posted:

I know this. For the third time there is a reason I said 'a particular kind'. My American wife, for example. The credit industry can say it doesn't discriminate against (A KIND OF ffs) foreigner, but in fact it does.

Just caught the “that kind” a minute before! Yes, absolutely.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
joylon is the inverse graham linehan. initially known on twitter for generally bad takes on current issues but gradually gets more credit for having good intentions the more he talks about trans issues

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Corbyn's still getting constantly attacked to draw people's attention away from the fact that Keir Starmer is the leader now and is making a pretty poor showing at it.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

He had also had loving poo poo takes about Corbyn when he was leader, but now he's not that's kind of fallen into the past. Take that as you will.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm looking forward to the government that failed all year to get an app working trying to distribute 60 million vaccine doses

It's all gonna be over by Christmas

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Hey we managed to get up to processing* 100,000** Covid tests*** per day**** within***** the promised timeframe******

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

This is primarily going to be handled by the NHS and not PFI failcompanies like Serco so I am expecting it to be at least a somewhat competent rollout