Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Here's something terrifying.

With the advent of massive work from home numbers recently EMPLOYEE ANALYTICS has come back to the forefront. It was always there, and growing, but now companies are getting very serious about it.

In a sane world, this kind of monitoring and data harvesting would be illegal within someone's home, whether or not it's their place of work. Should be illegal everywhere, of course, but we're already so hosed what's the point? Looking forward to having my life ruined by a lovely "AI."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Unstick you beautiful post you

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

You're a moron that doesn't know anything. Stop spreading weird goon wisdom.

Italian here, Italy literally has the Roma live in camps on the outskirts of main cities, and almost all of them are so marginalized they live off of informal sectors and occasionally welfare payments. They will literally never find a job because as soon as an employer sees their surname or place of residence they will immediately kick them out the interview. The racism they face is unbelievable unless you witness it with your own eyes. People go literal Hitler over the Roma and I have never once seen anyone push back.

Also our agricultural sector is propped up almost entirely by literal slave labor, that is migrants, most from African countries, who are deliberately kept by successive governments in limbo of citizenship and illegal status so they can be threatened with deportation and have no access to union representation, no rights etc. These people live on the fields they till, and are paid wages so low they remain below the absolute poverty line despite pulling an average 10h work day of literal backbreaking labor. And you wouldn't want to hear what well-to-do Italians think of the Blacks.

European racism is a lot more pervasive, and virulent. You just don't get to hear as much of it in some countries because the people it hurts are so marginalized, and such tiny minorities, it can be all successfully swept under the rug. Black people coming in as tourists in Italy have almost universally as the only big impression left of the country the horrific racism they faced everywhere.

mortons stork has issued a correction as of 11:32 on Nov 23, 2020

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

euro racism is much more diverse than yankee racism, because europe is much more culturally and politically diverse than yankeestan

like, my country has serious issues with bias in policing and in people with forrin names having trouble getting job interviews etc - and we have a big migrant worker caste who live in a bizarre parallel society like everywhere else in the west - but the cops only very rarely murder people in the streets for having the wrong skin colour, and i've never heard of anyone being refused service for being arab or w/e so it's impossible to say if its good or bad

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

it’s so good that he of all people posted that lmao

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

euro racism is much more diverse than yankee racism, because europe is much more culturally and politically diverse than yankeestan

like, my country has serious issues with bias in policing and in people with forrin names having trouble getting job interviews etc - and we have a big migrant worker caste who live in a bizarre parallel society like everywhere else in the west - but the cops only very rarely murder people in the streets for having the wrong skin colour, and i've never heard of anyone being refused service for being arab or w/e so it's impossible to say if its good or bad

Reginald D Hunter has a lot of bits/interviews/panel shows where he talks about euro vs US racism and he's got a lot of deep cuts about how lots of Europeans think they have these enlightened views about racism but are just as bad or worse then anything they mock the US for.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Subway in North America is a place where the manager puts the radio in a wooden box, secured with a padlock, so the employees cannot change the radio station. They accept deliveries of cubic meters of "seafood" and the line workers chip it up and shovel it onto your sandwich bread.

If they just changed their breakfast egg menu into brunch they could probably capture a new market segment though. Mimoso sauce sounds pretty tasty on a hammy slider.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

pentyne posted:

Reginald D Hunter has a lot of bits/interviews/panel shows where he talks about euro vs US racism and he's got a lot of deep cuts about how lots of Europeans think they have these enlightened views about racism but are just as bad or worse then anything they mock the US for.

the thing is, it's hard to do worse than a country where an ethnic minority is effectively placed outside the law en masse and is free game for agents of the state

i'm fairly sure people in the US are generally better in terms of expressed attitudes, but whether the level of violence is the same or which way it tilts is not easily inferred by that, and that's not even getting into how differently this stuff manifests itself in different cultures

i'm 100% sure that to a yank, almost every european country will come across as massively racist. this is because you've got some fairly specific and culturally contingent indicators that you look at to judge racism, and because we are indeed also quite racist. those indicators may or may not reflect the level of racism in the examined society in the way that one expects, however; people's willingness to use certain terms in casual conversation is imo a reasonable indicator or racist attitudes, but it's not a strict correlation between that and e.g. acceptance of someone being turned away at the door for looking 'shifty', or the willingness of official trades groups to start teaching different skin or hair qualities or any number of other potential indicators, which equally don't necessarily correlate particularly well

racism is deeply complicated, and exonerating one's own society by saying that someone else is worse - which is usually what we do when we get down to brass tacks on these issues - is an especially insidious form of trivialising the issue at home. importing a foreign discourse to deal with something so intimately cultural and historical is inevitably going to backfire imo

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

racism is deeply complicated, and exonerating one's own society by saying that someone else is worse - which is usually what we do when we get down to brass tacks on these issues - is an especially insidious form of trivialising the issue at home. importing a foreign discourse to deal with something so intimately cultural and historical is inevitably going to backfire imo

I don't think anyone ITT has (genuinely) tried to exonerate their own country by saying "But see? The other side have it worse!", though I do think there has been some deserved attention brought into the fact that western european countries like to pretend they're better than the US on that front, except it does always fall down when it comes to the Roma and others in the traveller communities.

The Tory manifesto at the last election pretty much called for a taking traveller property, all the meanwhile they've been cutting authorised locations for them for decades.

Nobody here should be saying "Get your own house in order before you complain about anyone else", but equally nobody here should be ignoring their homegrown racism in favour of railing against one that's arguably more obvious to them.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

there is a pattern - on both sides - of people doing just that, though, and most of the 'no u' stuff that this discussion inevitably degenerates into is hard to interpret as anything but people applying their own indicators to another society and seeing them bounce off the charts

nobody has much cause to be self-righteous on this issue, and it's never been a fruitful conversation ever when it's come up on these boards

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Every place on earth seems to be racist as gently caress, it's depressing

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nature of people. That's why you have to design systems that mitigate and reduce the problem, rather than ignore or encourage it.

Unfortunately, people also kinda suck at that.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
It’s not about pointing out homegrown racism to bully self righteous euros, it’s about not allowing self righteous euros to hide behind the super inaccurate meme of America being the most racist place in the first world.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

please knock Mom! posted:

It’s not about pointing out homegrown racism to bully self righteous euros, it’s about not allowing self righteous euros to hide behind the super inaccurate meme of America being the most racist place in the first world.

which is functionally the same as deflecting from racism in america in most contexts because the phenomena are not trivially comparable

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I wrote up a post about US v euro racism, wanting to throw my 2 cents in the ring. Then, I thought to myself, "what in the gently caress are you even doing my guy" and deleted it all.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Please just make it so I can buy anti-racism credits to offset the racism I endorse with my spending, this whole is it racist is it not racist is it more racist stuff is exhausting for us consumers

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

V. Illych L. posted:

which is functionally the same as deflecting from racism in america in most contexts because the phenomena are not trivially comparable

I guess this is true if you think that people have a limited amount of care credits to spend on caring about things.

How are you going to effectively point out the dirt in someone else’s house when you’ve grown so accustomed to your own type of filth you don’t even see it anymore?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the point is that, while this is probably an interesting topic for serious research, it really sucks as a topic for discussion on the something awful forums because it's legitimately difficult and ambiguous, and because even going about talking about which imperial society is more or less racist in this format is necessarily going to involve a lot of unacceptable reduction

i've been here before, it always devolves into chauvinist bickering

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

V. Illych L. posted:

the point is that, while this is probably an interesting topic for serious research, it really sucks as a topic for discussion on the something awful forums because it's legitimately difficult and ambiguous, and because even going about talking about which imperial society is more or less racist in this format is necessarily going to involve a lot of unacceptable reduction

Nobody has asked you to play the part of forums ombudsman or defuser and in fact you’ll find that we had a grand old time of dunking on the smug european idiot before you decided to barge in with your pointless evenhanded d&d-spiel.

You should scroll up and realize the point was never to prove who is more racist, but that racism and bigotry is something which affects everyone everywhere, in every part of the so-called civilized first world, in various ways, and that people who think their communities are ‘in the clear’ are to be made fun of repeatedly.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

evidently not

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
the heart of the matter is: europeans hate americans not because we commit genocide, but we do it so inefficiently.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

V. Illych L. posted:

wow this is some next level equivocating, how long have you been steeping yourself in this bullshit? Imagine defending lefties dunking on Fame Douglas' poo poo racism denial with mealy mouthed wall of texts about importing foreign discourse backfiring

augias
Apr 7, 2009

Peanut President posted:

the heart of the matter is: europeans hate americans not because we commit genocide, but we do it so inefficiently.

But US cops are extremely efficient at killing minorities, idgi

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

gay_crimes posted:

wow this is some next level equivocating, how long have you been steeping yourself in this bullshit? Imagine defending lefties dunking on Fame Douglas' poo poo racism denial with mealy mouthed wall of texts about importing foreign discourse backfiring

they’re just another D&D poster high on their own farts who thinks all it takes to post here is a lack of punctuation.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

if you really think discussing racism in 1st world countries is this sisyphean task maybe you should log off and find something more your speed, like yelling at the TV.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mortons stork posted:

People go literal Hitler over the Roma and I have never once seen anyone push back.

Yeah like watching from the outside it was the most bizarre thing. My friend would hang out in this european science discussion group thing that had good moderation and was generally very good at kicking out garbage people with lovely opinions, and then one day they had a derail about Travelers and oh boy, even the mods joined in to say some of the grossest poo poo, to him.

V. Illych L. posted:

going about talking about which imperial society is more or less racist

That's not at all what anyone is doing but ok

I think we all agree that every country is racist in their own special way

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

no you see, we're playing with fire when we talk to the question as to whether or not european racism exists on the something awful dot com forums. Ordinary, uncredentialed posters are not qualified to speak to such complex issues that must be analyzed as a whole. It needs a lot of time and a lot of research. There's a lot of nuance as to whether or not Roma good or bad that we just cannot understand without cultural context, historical context and lived experiences in european society

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah like watching from the outside it was the most bizarre thing. My friend would hang out in this european science discussion group thing that had good moderation and was generally very good at kicking out garbage people with lovely opinions, and then one day they had a derail about Travelers and oh boy, even the mods joined in to say some of the grossest poo poo, to him.

I lucked into visiting Italy once. This one tour guide was the same deal.

He'd been great. Lots of social and political commentary, from modern Italy back to ancient Rome. Super interesting. Very funny. Generally left-leaning and broadly egalitarian, too.

Except about Roma.

Someone asked the wrong question and he just launched into this rant. Oh, they refuse to integrate and they strip their free apartments and they segregate themselves and the only ones who come out grift and steal and so on and so on.

Dude apparently had some poo poo he wanted to get off his chest.

But like, if you're Roma then you're running into that level of hostility and presumption everywhere you go and what's that going to do?

I remember once watching a mini-documentary about a family of American Roma immigrés and they were happy as clams that they could just show up places and do things without all the white people doing their best impressions of Donald Sutherland in Invasion of the Body Snatchers.*

* FILE FOOTAGE:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEStsLJZhzo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Accretionist posted:

I remember once watching a mini-documentary about a family of American Roma immigrés and they were happy as clams that they could just show up places and do things without all the white people doing their best impressions of Donald Sutherland in Invasion of the Body Snatchers.*

Yeah I told my friend to visit the US some time cuz nobody here has magic bloodhound anti-Roma senses and he'd just be a slightly tan dude with an English accent, which is very charming to us uncultured Americans.

Then he died cuz the NHS couldn't get his gall stones out fast enough and the chronic pain made him OD on fentanyl :sigh:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Hell of a .png thread we have going here.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

*coughs racistly in Australian*

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
in canada we're much more progressive, where we teach all the recent immigrants to be racist against first nations with the rest of us

(oh and against somali people for some reason)

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

We've got top scientists on the case of what this mf was trying to write

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/jaredbkeller/status/1330872928477589504?s=19

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet

a friend of mine plays dnd with euros and was floored by how adamantly they defended this poo poo

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Inceltown posted:

*coughs racistly in Australian*

Agreed, Australians get the prize for most racist.

Seriously, every country/region has their own horrible take on racism, and comparing them is like racist apples and racist oranges. I'm continually amazed at the European anti-Roma thing, which literally Hitler was into and we just keep trucking. And not just the usual fascists, lots of leftist intellectuals too. It's weird as gently caress.

But also the thing where if you keep calling them criminals and refusing them any access to jobs or other interaction with society, they will to drive extend conform to the stereotype because that's their best option. See also: middle-eastern-descent criminal gangs in Denmark (and elsewhere).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Peanut President posted:

a friend of mine plays dnd with euros and was floored by how adamantly they defended this poo poo

Yeah it's pretty hosed up, I feel like holiday blackface is a "thing" in some form in a lot of cultures. I guess colorism trumps everything?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajji_Firuz

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
some of the best shows ive ever seen are ... *braces for mod destruction* gypsy flamenco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Peanut President posted:

dude there's annual riots about that poo poo over here