Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Strategic Tea posted:

Not sure many americans are being beaten by soldiers or forcibly married to a white spouse because their phone registered them within 5m of a known dissident one time too many...

But hey, NSA spies, China spies, Hitler spied, what's the difference right?

That's not happening in China, seems like you're just a moron that consumes too much Trumpanzee propaganda?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

BlackIronHeart posted:

Very cool, congrats! Please check back into this thread in 3 weeks.

They're in NZ, and are owning the poo poo out of us.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xaintrailles posted:

They're in NZ, and are owning the poo poo out of us.

:smith:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I marvel at the libertarian types who, even as cases surge like never before, are still going “I am against government lockdowns! Are you saying we can’t responsibly manage our own affairs like adults?”

Yes. That’s exactly what we are saying.

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Fame Douglas posted:

There's no evidence for this at all, it's dumb internet garbage. Read fewer neo-cold war conspiracy sites.

From 2017: "One night this September, construction supervisor Chen Shouli fired off a joke in a chat group. “Haha,” he typed on his black iPhone 7, followed by an off-color wisecrack about a rumored love triangle involving a celebrity and one of China’s most senior government officials. Four days later, he says, the police telephoned, ordering him in for questioning. “I thought, I haven’t done anything wrong, have I? I’m law-abiding,” recalls Mr. Chen, a wiry 41-year-old. “So I went in. Once I arrived, they wouldn’t let me leave.” Mr. Chen was locked in a cell for five days, he says. According to the police report, his comment on the WeChat messaging app was deemed “picking quarrels and provoking trouble,” a broad offense that encompasses gang fighting and destruction of public property and is punishable by detention without trial."

Around the same time they began growing out the live surveillance - "Local police departments last year began ordering cameras capable of creating three-dimensional face images as well as DNA sequencers and voice-pattern analysis systems, according to government procurement documents uncovered by Human Rights Watch and reviewed by the Journal [...] He and his wife lined up at a police station with other Uighurs to have their fingerprints and blood samples taken. He says he was asked to read a newspaper for two minutes while police recorded his voice, and to turn his head slowly in front of a camera [...] Near the Xinjiang University campus in Urumqi, police sat at a wooden table recently, ordering some people walking by to hand over their phones. “You just plug it in and it shows you what’s on the phone,” said one officer, brandishing a device similar to the one on Meiya Pico’s website. He declined to say what content they were checking for."

Now that they have (another) foothold on phones via the Covid-tracking apps, they want to grow it; for example, "in Hangzhou, where the system was pioneered, officials are exploring expanding the health code to rank citizens with a “personal health index,” according to a post last week on an official social media account. It is not clear how the ranking would be used. But a graphic in the post shows users receiving a 0-to-100 score based on how much they sleep, how many steps they take, how much they smoke and drink and other unspecified metrics."

This is very much in keeping with their declared endgame of a social credit system that would "draw on bigger, combined data pools, including a person’s internet activity, according to interviews with some architects of the system and a review of government documents. Algorithms would use a range of data to calculate a citizen’s rating, which would then be used to determine all manner of activities, such as who gets loans, or faster treatment at government offices or access to luxury hotels." As of several years ago, their plan was to have it implemented nationwide sometime this year.

Anyone who thinks China's surveillance state is limited to simple GPS tracking has their head in the sand.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Head Bee Guy posted:

What screwball side effects of the vaccine are you guys predicting?

scabiosis of the egg-bag

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fame Douglas posted:

There's no evidence for this at all, it's dumb internet garbage. Read fewer neo-cold war conspiracy sites.

Cool. I'll tell my family in China the stuff they experience on a daily basis is just conspiracy garbage according to Something Awful forums user Fame Douglas.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
my hui buddy got herself and her boyfriend a visit from the guoanbu in her hotel room at 2am cuz she worked for the electronic frontier foundation lol

maybe they did it with the social credit system, maybe it was ordinary humint and poo poo. either way, the guoanbu exist and nobody likes em

(realistically, best guess is that they have an automated dealio thats good enough for like 70% of poo poo and then theres a legion of faceless paper pushers who do the rest brutally manually, just like how american tech majors do it)

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 23, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
LMAO the tankie apologists have invaded the thread.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Thinkin i just might have to call this guy Lame Douglas

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The UK are also considering a coronavirus 'freedom pass' system where people would be allowed to walk around maskless if they've tested negative

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1330457804017201152

There Bias Two posted:

I wouldn't share or take seriously anything coming from The Daily Mail.

ICHIBAHN posted:

No they aren't lol

I doublechecked, here's some more sources:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jeremy-hunt-take-test-to-earn-freedom-pass-g3q8bs35l
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/coronavirus-freedom-passes-uk-tests-b76566.html

quote:

B
ritons could be given special 'freedom passes' if they test negative for coronavirus twice a week.

Passholders would have to show that they have been regularly tested with an electronic form, it has been reported.

The pass, which could take the form of a QR code, would allow holders to live a relatively normal life.

Boris Johnson is said to be set to unveil the scheme on Monday when he launches the Government's Covid Winter Plan.

I guess we'll find out later today!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Meanwhile, in Brooklyn ....

https://twitter.com/jameshamblin/status/1330628349937541124?r

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The ultimate bounce back promotion. Eat here tonight, come back in two weeks after they install freezers to hold the bodies, your included.

In other news, someone in my bubble was peer pressured into going and getting an hour long indoor massage. Masks were allegedly worn, but it was indoors. For an hour. At leave five people giving and five more receiving. All in one poorly ventilated room.

Don’t give in to peer pressure. I would kick this person from my bubble, but they live with me. We’re all going to get sick. Why do I say this? One of the friends who was the instigator of the peer pressure already had COVID and was an asymptomatic super spreader.

Don’t give in to peer pressure everyone. gently caress. gently caress. gently caress. I’m so angry.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I’m dropping off a homemade thanksgiving dinner me and my wife are making for my dad since he’s gonna be alone on thanksgiving. We were going to have an outdoor Thanksgiving but he flew on a plane and sent a picture of the burger he got at a restaurant when he landed. I’m fairly certain he’s abandoned any semblance of precaution unless forced to by someone looking directly at him.

It’s really depressing. I want to spend time with my family but maybe I’ll see them next Thanksgiving?

It’s interesting seeing how well me and my wife are doing without anyone else, though. If anything it’s only confirmed that, man, having a reliable life companion is just the best thing. We’re dealing with poo poo together, which sucks, but since we’re together we’ll be fine. My friends have also abandoned giving a poo poo, which is cool and dope. It’s like a scene in an apocalypse movie where everyone’s just dancing and poo poo because doom is inevitable.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

New York is such a god drat garbage city, lol jesus

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1330545421224091649
:thunk:

https://twitter.com/FresnoBee/status/1329837125529907200
:thunk::thunk:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Nov 23, 2020

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

AHH F/UGH posted:

New York is such a god drat garbage city, lol jesus

I’m on the west coast and literally the closest restaurant to me has taken over six parking spots and erected a non ventilated enclosed space that is packed wall to wall shoulder to shoulder from open till close. 25% occupancy my rear end.

I’m still pissed about my roomies massage. We are all going to die. Some of us really soon.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

I’m on the west coast and literally the closest restaurant to me has taken over six parking spots and erected a non ventilated enclosed space that is packed wall to wall shoulder to shoulder from open till close. 25% occupancy my rear end.

I’m still pissed about my roomies massage. We are all going to die. Some of us really soon.

FWIW Los Angeles is an even bigger shithole than NYC.

Did your roommate go get a massage or something and get COVID?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah the west coast has some real problems

https://twitter.com/HermelaTV/status/1330403095071903754

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

AHH F/UGH posted:

FWIW Los Angeles is an even bigger shithole than NYC.

Did your roommate go get a massage or something and get COVID?

True on both counts. Just waiting on the positive test result.

gently caress LA. gently caress this virus. gently caress everyone not doing what it takes to shut it down and stop spreading. We’ve lost too much already.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/UniofOxford/status/1330769567409385474

Another day, another vaccine. Except this one is only 70% effective (although they claim 90% effectiveness with two doses, the first half strength, but this is on a much, much smaller sample so I'm hugely suspicious). The BBC are making a huge noise about this this morning, presumably because it's much cheaper than the Pfizer and Modena ones so the UK is getting it no matter what.

e: This is also the vaccine with two neurological adverse events, IIRC, so that's fun.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

jokes posted:

It’s like a scene in an apocalypse movie where everyone’s just dancing and poo poo because doom is inevitable.

If it's an actual apocalypse then that's as good a response as any.
The joke here is that it really isn't inevitable.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

goddamnedtwisto posted:

this one is only 70% effective (although they claim 90% effectiveness with two doses, the first half strength, but this is on a much, much smaller sample so I'm hugely suspicious)

The ninety‐five percent effectiveness of the others is also after two doses, so that’s apples to apples.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

The ninety‐five percent effectiveness of the others is also after two doses, so that’s apples to apples.

The other ones, as far as I know, were on two doses from the start - the two doses test was only a very small proportion of the tests for this one.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

This might sound dumb, but I feel a bit better about that one after the FDA apparently spent a month rigorously combing through every past time they've used this vector to look for safety signals. 70% isn't great but it would probably be enough. 90% would be a lot better, let's hope that pans out.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
In other wonderful news, the gig economy is absolutely booming! You can even get paid to just stand around for ages in line with a bunch of people who have potentially been exposed to covid KA-CHING :homebrew:

https://twitter.com/TaylorLorenz/status/1330532826798821376

:capitalism:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Scarodactyl posted:

This might sound dumb, but I feel a bit better about that one after the FDA apparently spent a month rigorously combing through every past time they've used this vector to look for safety signals. 70% isn't great but it would probably be enough. 90% would be a lot better, let's hope that pans out.

Seventy percent works on a population scale, but in our lovely antivaxx future, I want the one that gives me one sixth the chance of disease as the other.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Yeah, it might be more viable in areas where things aren't quite as on fire as they are in the US. Realistically though they'll probably just roll out the two dose version, or something. I'll wait for tomorrow when the smart experts weugh in. That said really cool that the half dose full dose works so much better than full full, since a concern early on was that you'd become immune to the vector and the second shot would do nothing. Seems like doing it that way may deal with that issue, though we'll see if it pans out or it's just a statistical illusion in the smaller group.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 23, 2020

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

True on both counts. Just waiting on the positive test result.

gently caress LA. gently caress this virus. gently caress everyone not doing what it takes to shut it down and stop spreading. We’ve lost too much already.

lol I went to LA to go to Disneyland with my wife and from the smog-filled airport to the lovely rear end Anaheim "suburbs" that are filled with Cholos and Three-different-white trash-families-in-one-house and all look like this

I was like "holy poo poo this is a neverending sprawl of dingy polluted unwalkable garbage filled with America's worst". Like I've never seen so many abandoned big wheels in the streets in my life

Just absolutely no romanticism left in that dump of a city

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

my hui buddy got herself and her boyfriend a visit from the guoanbu in her hotel room at 2am cuz she worked for the electronic frontier foundation lol

maybe they did it with the social credit system, maybe it was ordinary humint and poo poo. either way, the guoanbu exist and nobody likes em

(realistically, best guess is that they have an automated dealio thats good enough for like 70% of poo poo and then theres a legion of faceless paper pushers who do the rest brutally manually, just like how american tech majors do it)

The true beauty of the system is that most of the time people don't know how it works.

You arrive at the train station and are not allowed through security because you have been banned from inter city travel.

Were you banned because you posted a 'lol' at the town councillor? Because you are Muslim? Because you were on the customer list of a bookstore that mysteriously closed? Did your daughter dob you in at school? Are you being monitored or was it chance?

When were you banned? Is it permanent? Are you allowed to get a bus instead? Has your passport been cancelled? Has your family been hit too?

You don't ever know, so the system doesn't really need to be that accurate. Everyone is guilty of something, so you just assume the state is omniscient and fear everything :china:

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 23, 2020

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2s0nB2VPvs

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

AHH F/UGH posted:

lol I went to LA to go to Disneyland with my wife and from the smog-filled airport to the lovely rear end Anaheim "suburbs" that are filled with Cholos and Three-different-white trash-families-in-one-house and all look like this

I was like "holy poo poo this is a neverending sprawl of dingy polluted unwalkable garbage filled with America's worst". Like I've never seen so many abandoned big wheels in the streets in my life

Just absolutely no romanticism left in that dump of a city

To be fair Anaheim isn't Los Angeles. It's like you visited New Jersey and said New York sucks or something.

I get why people hate LA but its a pretty big diverse place so I wouldn't use your tourist trap experience as a good example of what it is.

With that said it's pretty sad how its handling of covid is a big joke but compared to the Midwest...

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Buckwheat Sings posted:

To be fair Anaheim isn't Los Angeles. It's like you visited New Jersey and said New York sucks or something.

I get why people hate LA but its a pretty big diverse place so I wouldn't use your tourist trap experience as a good example of what it is.

With that said it's pretty sad how its handling of covid is a big joke but compared to the Midwest...

...It's LA. That's like saying you went to NYC and visited Queens, but that's not New York City. If it's not LA, then what is. Downtown? The Pier? Skid Row? It's all the LA metro area.

Either way it's all a giant covid nightmare and I hear that Disneyland was a major hotspot.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 23, 2020

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
The west coast had it's first real rain last week and I was utterly struck by how weird it was to see the beach empty, like it usually is this time of year. With so few acceptable venues, the beach has become a regular stomping ground for both responsible and irresponsible social behaviors. Please stop driving off the cliff they close the road every time someone dies.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

The Oxford/AZ one might have a marginally lower two-doae effectiveness but it has a giant upside in that it doesn't have to be superchilled, so should be much easier to distribute in places with worse medical infrastructure.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My wife and I ordered takeout on Friday night from a local bar and grill. We show up there and there's just wall-to-wall people inside. No tables are closed off, nobody has a mask on except for the staff, and a group of about 20 people is just congregating in a huge circle in the middle of the place, no masks on, with drinks in their hands.

I ask where I can pick up my takeout, they direct me to walk THROUGH the entire restaurant, past the huge group of people, and up to the crowded bar.

Easily the most insane poo poo I've seen since covid started, the only thing closer was this dude at Walmart back in April walking around without a mask and saying "Let me see your smile, honey!" to every woman he passed.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Two things I noticed this morning. First, the 7 day moving average of new cases per day in the US actually decreased for the first time since October 2nd. Maybe we've hit an inflection point in the current curve?

This would be good news if not for the other point that I've seen several articles, threads, conversations, etc about people having "small" thanksgiving gatherings. What's crazy is, all these seemed to place 10 or so people as the line for "small". This loving holiday is gonna destroy us when a lot of people scale down their thanksgiving to "only" 10 people and others get angry about hoax or whatever and have 30 person indoor shared spoon thanksgiving events.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

jokes posted:

It’s interesting seeing how well me and my wife are doing without anyone else, though. If anything it’s only confirmed that, man, having a reliable life companion is just the best thing. We’re dealing with poo poo together, which sucks, but since we’re together we’ll be fine. My friends have also abandoned giving a poo poo, which is cool and dope. It’s like a scene in an apocalypse movie where everyone’s just dancing and poo poo because doom is inevitable.

I hope this doesn't come across as gloating, because it takes luck to find that person as well as all the work required to build that relationship but holy poo poo I am so grateful to have my wife through all of this. I know a couple of people who are going through divorces (one with kids) right now and god it's awful. If you've got a partner worth keeping, make sure they know how thankful you are this turkey day :unsmith:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

wilderthanmild posted:

Two things I noticed this morning. First, the 7 day moving average of new cases per day in the US actually decreased for the first time since October 2nd. Maybe we've hit an inflection point in the current curve?

Don't celebrate yet, six states didn't report any cases for Sunday so worldometers.com might backdate cases tomorrow when the weekend cases get reported, and that tiny decrease might get wiped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
AAA is expecting 50 million people to travel this Thanksgiving. That's only a decrease of 10% from last year of 55 million.

lol