Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Sonic Rush successor where you swap between Sonic’s and Blaze’s dimensions mid stage like Sonic CD’s time travel. An ice stage in one world is a volcano stage in the other, etc. Hire me SEGA!
At the very least this sounds like a great concept for a item in my Knuckles Metroidvania puzzle platformer that Sega will make once they give into my demands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Three remixes of Mirage Saloon 2 but it's Knuckles Chaotix.

https://youtu.be/vOW1LUJImGw

https://youtu.be/qkZrJnNk9tk

https://youtu.be/BLy4GLKmi4o

A Hat in Time has excellent music but few good Chaotix remixes.

https://youtu.be/rmWpeCYLDZk

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
eh, the first one is the only good one imo.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Not really sonic related but Headcannon, part of the Sonic Mania team including Stealth released a short little $5 side scrolling shmup recently.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1386160/Pier_Pressure/

The main gimmick is that there's a button to turn around. I don't play tons of shmups but I thought that was pretty interesting. There's resource management as well, you don't die in 1 hit and spend your life bar to upgrade your main weapon, but get downgraded when you get hit. You can also spend some health to do special moves but you always get meter back by killing enemies.

I enjoyed it, clocked in at about 2 hours on the normal mode with infinite lives but the limited lives mode and boss rush are gonna take quite a bit longer I feel. That and beating the game with all 3 ships.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i played sonic rush last week and...i did not like it very much! despite having two screens of real estate to work with, it instead felt like the usual problems of handheld sonic were just multiplied. so many bottomless pits, blind jumps, and abrupt gotchas. boosting could be cool but never felt well utilized. blaze deserves better

moving on to sonic riders, which is really cool even if it's also really hard

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

feelin hot hot hot

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I raced a friend in Sonic Rush pretty recently too, and we had a lot of fun. The bosses were the key tripping point for my friend who was more rusty than I was. I never felt like the Rush bosses were especially tricky, but I definitely think Water Palace's boss could maybe be a bit more obvious or something with some of his attacks.

We'd race Rush adventure (which we both like more than Rush 1) but neither of us wants to deal with the grinding :v:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I had a dream last night that there was leaked footage of a demo of a Taxman remake of Sonic Rush that Sega passed on and everyone online was pissed

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Those games definitely improved from Rush to Adventure to Colours DS, even though Adventure's bogged down with all the usual bullshit Sonic games usually get bogged down with.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
There's definitely less unfair pits and stuff as they go along but I think there's an argument that the original Rush is the most cohesive whole. Adventure is good but has issues with the vehicle races just kind of being there and requiring material farming to progress, while Colours DS feels kind of like a contractually obliged console tie in in its mediocrity

I don't like Rush as much as I did in 2005 but it's extremely confident in itself from the graphics and music to the attitude of the game design in a way Sonic titles have rarely been since

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Vela Nova is a bop though

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCKCHv388O0

TAke a look, y'all this picture is so dope

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

beep by grandpa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCKCHv388O0

TAke a look, y'all this picture is so dope

I've had it as my desktop background for a few months now, it owns

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i know this is a verboten take but i don't like rush's music

riders though, that's some good racing tunes

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Wrapped in Black is my 2nd favourite final boss theme in the series, right under Big Arms.

Hideki Naganuma can do no wrong.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Draga posted:

Hideki Naganuma can do no wrong.

I mean, aside from his recent weird "joke" on Twitter.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Looper posted:

i know this is a verboten take but i don't like rush's music

riders though, that's some good racing tunes

I was mindlessly scrolling and forgot what thread this was and thought you meant the band Rush but t you liked racing to their hit album "Riders." I don't know much about Rush.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Rush is the best because Adventure hosed up the trick system and somehow made the bosses worse and Colors used rings for boost which was unforgivable to me.

It also 100% has the same basic appeal as generations, it's all about those S ranks baby. The flawed level design and wonky spindash physics don't matter when you've learned the level and are never not boosting.
The game's first impressions are terrible especially the story and the bosses, which completely abandon the boost system and are frankly baffling. The special stages are cool though, best halfpipe special stage in the series imo, although unlike some other games you don't have to get the emeralds with both characters which is nice.

Takoluka posted:

I mean, aside from his recent weird "joke" on Twitter.

oh god do I even wanna know about this?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Phillby posted:

oh god do I even wanna know about this?

"Actually, it's ephebophilia"
/
Naganuma

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Homora Gaykemi posted:

/
Naganuma

Oh. Oh no. I thought he stopped at the weird almost incel remarks. Oh dear.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Homora Gaykemi posted:

/
Naganuma

I don't like it.

Not at all.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it was a bad joke but it was very obviously meant to just be a joke and he deleted it

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

okay wtf is going on it's been ten years where's sonic generations II

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Stairmaster posted:

that was Forces unfortunately

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stairmaster posted:

sonic is dead

again

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

30th is next year and there's supposed to be a game out, Generations 2 baybee.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
hell yeah all the cool stages you loved from the last 10 years of sonic!!!!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ArfJason posted:

Though that said there’d really only be Lost World, Mania, and Forces to choose from in that case.

I suppose they could pull some levels from the earlier games they didn’t use in Generations however (or hell, maybe even use some stuff from the handheld titles).

Some Sonic CD content besides just a boss fight might be nice too.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 26, 2020

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Just use stages from the games people care about rather then trying to give attention to every game or whatever lol.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Just use stages from the games people care about rather then trying to give attention to every game or whatever lol.

i feel you on that one but crisis city in generations was pretty great in both acts, and i wouldnt mind seeing the aquatic base one from 06

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ArfJason posted:

I can't wait to play Green Hill Zone (Dusty Mix) as my pal 3D Heavy-as-Hell Classic Sonic!

If they do go that route with just the last decade ahead of anything else, I liked the Death Egg escape stage from Forces (stage 6?) a ton. And I unironically hope they make more stages that had a sense of speed and flow like that again. But also that they take longer to finish. The stages and the development time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ArfJason posted:

i feel you on that one but crisis city in generations was pretty great in both acts, and i wouldnt mind seeing the aquatic base one from 06

Yeah they really salvaged Crisis City

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hrist posted:

I can't wait to play Green Hill Zone (Dusty Mix) as my pal 3D Heavy-as-Hell Classic Sonic!

If they do go that route with just the last decade ahead of anything else, I liked the Death Egg escape stage from Forces (stage 6?) a ton. And I unironically hope they make more stages that had a sense of speed and flow like that again. But also that they take longer to finish. The stages and the development time.

Though on that note, is there anything from Lost World that might make for a decent remake in a Generations sequel?

A 3D version of some of the Mania levels could be cool as well provided it was handled right.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Unless its some real good poo poo like a Mania 2 I am not buying the next sonic game if they loving put green hill in it again make some new levels sonic team

at least give me emerald hill.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
Just give us a non-Wii port of Colors, at least.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

lost world's biggest flaw, to me, is how generic the worlds are. what sonic has always had over mario is the uniqueness of every level. there are shared concepts, sure, like having a grassy level or a water level or a lava level, but they way they execute it is never repeated, which is why Generations could be what it was. you couldn't do a game like Generations with super mario. but lost world gives that up and instead you basically just have Grass World, Desert World, Snow World, etc. they're still pretty but they really don't stand out on their own as anything different from the rest of the series.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

the biggest flaw to me is the awful boss fights every other level but I still like the game due to the non boss fight levels being mostly good

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The cowards should do a Sonic 06 sequel for its fifteenth anniversary next year

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah they really salvaged Crisis City

The violins were great. Hell, Crisis City and Rooftop Run were the best stages in Generations, and maybe the best in any of the 3D Sonic games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the diff being rooftop run was good in the original game too. but i agree, and have said it before, generations' rooftop run is some of the most joy ive felt in a game