Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

somepartsareme posted:

no, but you can be sure that they're patting themselves on the back right now for all the help they did over 4 years of orange man funny voice jokes

The Trump SNL skits have been absolutely wretched. They started out ok but quickly turned into skits where the joke is just Alec Baldwin mugging at the camera. The Larry David ones eventually went the same way, except he plays a better Sanders than Baldwin plays Trump.

However, I remember the Tina Fey/Sarah Palin ones being good because they contained actual jokes and she can do an impression without turning it up to 11. They also didn't oversaturate the episodes with them -- I think they did like 4 or 5 total, including a few guest appearances. So they can do funny political skits, it's just easier to get their famous friends to walk onstage in orange makeup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

GrandpaPants posted:

The weird thing about Studio 60 was that at the time The Daily Show was way more politically relevant and funnier than SNL. Like I would argue there was an entire generation where TDS was the main source of political news.

There's not really any question that The Daily Show, and with it The Colbert Report, were how a lot of people got their news for a while. The Daily Show basically developed into something during the insanity of the 2000 election, and during the 2004 election season it was drawing higher ratings than a bunch of actual news shows (Particularly among younger demographics). By comparison, I literally had never heard of Studio 60 until it was brought up on the last page, although some quick searching on Wikipedia says it's timeslot mainly had it airing opposite Monday Night Football (In the first year ESPN had it), which fully ensured I'd have never given it a second thought back then.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I still love that, at the time, conventional wisdom was that 30 Rock was doomed and Studio 60 was the show to watch - because when you're making a show about comedy, you, don't want to have the show itself be comedic, you want it to be unrelentingly serious, solemn, and always having an overinflated sense of its own importance. That's what people will want!

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

somepartsareme posted:

no, but you can be sure that they're patting themselves on the back right now for all the help they did over 4 years of orange man funny voice jokes

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

GrandpaPants posted:

The weird thing about Studio 60 was that at the time The Daily Show was way more politically relevant and funnier than SNL. Like I would argue there was an entire generation where TDS was the main source of political news.

"More Americans get their news from The Daily Show than probably should."

That was a fantastic tagline and painfully true - at the time I wasn't watching any actual news program and hadn't for years.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

mllaneza posted:

"More Americans get their news from The Daily Show than probably should."

That was a fantastic tagline and painfully true - at the time I wasn't watching any actual news program and hadn't for years.

I've seen the USAs news programmes, I think you might have gotten the better end of the deal.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
As an Australian kid, I managed to become pretty well-informed on American news from one of the cable channels here airing Jay Leno, Conan O'Brien (and David Letterman but I didn't find him funny and still don't know why people do), and then later the Daily Show. You can actually tell it influenced Australia in a weird way, because eventually one of the major networks here hired a bunch of comedians, alongside some actual TV journalism types, to do a current affairs show with what they thought was the same air, The 7PM Project (later The Project because it got a better time slot). It's a panel show, because most Australian TV only knows how to make four shows: Panel shows, crime dramas, acclaimed shows set in the outback and/or the suburbs that nobody watches, and Neighbours.

It still remains pretty popular, but it has the same problem as a lot of Australian comedic TV: the only avenues for newer comedians to break into TV dried up around 2012, so it's still the exact same people every time, and most of them are younger boomers/older Gen-X who I suspect were never funny.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 10:48 on Nov 23, 2020

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Cleretic posted:

(and David Letterman but I didn't find him funny and still don't know why people do),
Fair, I get it.
....Hmm

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sarcopenia posted:

Fair, I get it.

....Hmm

I was like, twelve or thirteen when I was watching him. I could definitely tell that he was the lesser comedian, but there were still some segments worth watching at that age.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 11:34 on Nov 23, 2020

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

hyperhazard posted:

The Trump SNL skits have been absolutely wretched. They started out ok but quickly turned into skits where the joke is just Alec Baldwin mugging at the camera. The Larry David ones eventually went the same way, except he plays a better Sanders than Baldwin plays Trump.

However, I remember the Tina Fey/Sarah Palin ones being good because they contained actual jokes and she can do an impression without turning it up to 11. They also didn't oversaturate the episodes with them -- I think they did like 4 or 5 total, including a few guest appearances. So they can do funny political skits, it's just easier to get their famous friends to walk onstage in orange makeup.

Palin was only important for like... 3 months?

Imagine if they had to keep it going for 4 years.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Christmas posted:

Was there ever anything in SNLs history that gave credence to the idea that it and the shows like it that formed the basis for Studio 60 were important institutions that spoke truth to power or whatever?

The extent of their satire was stuff like Clinton being horny, HW Bush being a fuddy-duddy, and Gerald Ford falling down a lot. I feel like it took years into the Obama presidency for the comedy scientists to discover “Uhh, let me be clear.”

it's mostly just that SNL had a lot of audience reach during the time when network TV was all there was to watch. SNL was HUGE in the 80s among the 21-35 demographic and it filled a similar role that the daily show filled in the aughts, that of relatively topical comedy. it was not really incisive commentary though as much as it was just immediately topical, as the only other stuff commenting on the events of the week was boring panel shows and news shows. even just gently caricaturing the president came off as subversive in a pre-internet time where now you can't really post any take on a public figure without someone sliding in the comments to inform you about how you're supporting a war criminal/pedophile and should be ashamed

in a lot of ways SNL is still coasting on the cultural cred it picked up in the 80s and then also in the brief "SNL is good again!" time of the mid 90s, before most young adults started drifting away from tentpole television as the TV landscape splintered

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hyperhazard posted:

Honestly think the main issue is that Trump's nearly impossible to really parody, despite so many people trying. His whole campaign has been leaning into his act and being too ridiculous for any mockery to really land, and getting his supporters to identify any mockery and derision of him with mockery and derision of themselves.

Palin was a ridiculous figure with zero self-awareness, is the key thing.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There was the guy who had a Comedy Central show who was a pretty good impersonator, but he still was just Trump and not really that exaggerated.

Alec Baldwin felt like a bad joke that for some reason made Trump mad once so they kept going with it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk-ZBYyjsko

These ones are pretty good too but they work because he's imitating Trump's style of speech rather than a a political parody

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Gordon Shumway posted:

Having just rewatched Sports Night, I can say that it holds up the best out of everything Sorkin's done.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Honestly think the main issue is that Trump's nearly impossible to really parody, despite so many people trying. His whole campaign has been leaning into his act and being too ridiculous for any mockery to really land, and getting his supporters to identify any mockery and derision of him with mockery and derision of themselves.

Palin was a ridiculous figure with zero self-awareness, is the key thing.

It kind of falls under the Flava Flav principle.
During his comedy central roast, one of the comedians (Jeff Ross, maybe?) said something to the tune of: "You're wearing a giant clock around your neck, a viking helmet and cornrows. How do you roast charcoal!?"

Trump is the same way. He's such a caricature on his own that it's hard to properly mock him

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I dunno, I think the thing you could do is treat him seriously by treating him as intensely dull. Just not even "contempt" just low energy "and now he's doing stuff".

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

I dunno, I think the thing you could do is treat him seriously by treating him as intensely dull. Just not even "contempt" just low energy "and now he's doing stuff".
That's what people did for years until the GOP decided to start actually backing him.

The only way to beat Trump with momentum is to dominate him, which is why the GOP backed him. They realized early on that Democrats and most of his opponents are too weak-wristed without collective energy, and have been subdivided (and easily turned against each other) for decades. Even with him being hideously unpopular with huge swaths of the country it took an extremely hard effort to beat him by a slim margin.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Zero One posted:

Palin was only important for like... 3 months?

Imagine if they had to keep it going for 4 years.

Fair enough.

I know it's also an issue of availability and casting--they've been milking Warren for the past 4 years because Kate McKinnon is too good to lose (and she got the short end of the stick when Clinton lost). But their funniest political sketches are definitely their one-offs, like when Matt Damon came in to play Kavanagh.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Trump is pretty easy to make fun of. The current media class just can't do it because accurately capturing his character means he isn't a charismatic mastermind and that a consummate buffoon mopped the floor with every one of Obama's VSPs who graduated summa cum laude from the Harvard Kennedy War Criminal Factory.

And what are they going to make fun of on policy? Concentration camps? Drone strikes? Using chemical weapons against protestors? They can't even make fun of him for flying on the Lolita Express, because they all flew on it too.

The only thing they can make fun of is class signifiers like "he is incorrectly tanned", "he eats his steak wrong", or "he serves McDonalds to his guests", which works about as well as accusing William Henry Harrison of living in a log cabin drinking hard cider did in 1840.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I wouldn't have minded Trump winning if his presidency had been similar to Harrison's.

Although Pence is a terrifying alternate history.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

christmas boots posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk-ZBYyjsko

These ones are pretty good too but they work because he's imitating Trump's style of speech rather than a a political parody

I am gonna have to toot my own country's horn here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsP1zhpNxE

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I would also argue that a lot of good satire, (many say the best), involves being an affectionate pisstake. Making fun of someone involves making people laugh, and there is always at least a kernel of good feeling in most laughs.

But Trump doesn't inspire any affection. At all. Even from his most fervent supporters. He is either worshiped as an unassailable god-king that is shining and pure and above it all, or he is hated, reviled and held in contempt by normal people. Neither of these provide much laughs.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I think something like Gorilla Channel worked because Pixelated Boat didn't try to exaggerate Trump's personality or anything, they just put him in a surreal situation and showed exactly how real Trump would've acted.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

If I am remembering right, Daryl Hammond's Trump was just that. A boring racist empty suit who doesn't know what he's doing. But then Baldwin came in and made Trump seem almost better/more competent than he really is. It's like Phil Hartman's Reagan was much cooler than the real Reagan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5wfPlgKFh8

SNL has to make their characters entertaining and we don't need an entertaining Trump.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Trump is entertaining all on his own. Kinda hard to lampoon a cartoon character.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Trump is entertaining all on his own. Kinda hard to lampoon a cartoon character.

Entertaining in the sense of watching a juggler with an unending supply of poo poo smeared flaming knives hurling them into the audience at anyone not showing sufficient adoration.

But enough about the Jim Rose Circus.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

MrUnderbridge posted:

Entertaining in the sense of watching a juggler with an unending supply of poo poo smeared flaming knives hurling them into the audience at anyone not showing sufficient adoration.

But enough about the Jim Rose Circus.

Gallagher took a new and dark turn :stare:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Icon Of Sin posted:

Gallagher took a new and dark turn :stare:

Didn't Gallagher already go weirdly dark a while ago?

It's tough to tell since Gallagher's younger brother also performs as Gallagher. I think the original one is the evil one though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, Gallagher has been poo poo for a while now. Apparently all he does now is shout racist/sexist/homophobic stuff while smashing watermelons.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

There Gallagher, Gallagher 2 and also Black Gallagher

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
gallagher himself represents to me that whole aging hippie aesthetic, which as a group has not aged well. it's sad to see some long haired old boomer who in their mind is still a freewheelin' spirit with a sharply anti-authoritarian core as they rant about tax increases and job stealing mexicans. like when someone reaches that bitter old man stance from a church background or some greedy old gently caress in a dated business suit i get, but the same opinions coming from a guy whose hero is jerry garcia... sad

as a comic he was never that great, and aside from the smashing food bit it must be remembered he's a Prop Comic, which is one of the lowest forms of stand up comedy. but just being a bleak observational cynic doesn't work anymore unless you can be more self-confessional, george carlin was getting kind of bitter in the end and i fear if carlin were still around today what he'd say to get himself canceled

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Speaking of lovely comics, Jeff Dunham was on TMZ last night bitching about how you just can't make jokes like you used to these days. I'm just sitting there thinking, "dude, you get up on stage with extremely racist puppets, what do you expect?"

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

for what it's worth and killin them softly are the only stand up bits I need, and the only ones Dave did before his tragic death in africa

RIP Dave

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, Gallagher has been poo poo for a while now. Apparently all he does now is shout racist/sexist/homophobic stuff while smashing watermelons.

I think he had that kind of crap in his set the whole time, it just took people forever to notice anything besides the food smashing. There's a terrible bit from one of his 80s specials about plane hijacking that's burned in my brain that goes like "You know TWA stands for? Travel With Arabs. That's why I fly DELTA: Don't EVEN Let Them Aboard"

I also can't let Gallagher discussion pass without posting this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdi_WgV7rGA

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Iron Crowned posted:

Speaking of lovely comics, Jeff Dunham was on TMZ last night bitching about how you just can't make jokes like you used to these days. I'm just sitting there thinking, "dude, you get up on stage with extremely racist puppets, what do you expect?"

He's probably just saying that to advertise his new special on Comedy Central; yes, it's 2020 and Jeff Dunham is still getting promoted TV specials.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

londonarbuckle posted:

I think he had that kind of crap in his set the whole time, it just took people forever to notice anything besides the food smashing. There's a terrible bit from one of his 80s specials about plane hijacking that's burned in my brain that goes like "You know TWA stands for? Travel With Arabs. That's why I fly DELTA: Don't EVEN Let Them Aboard"

yeah there's a direct line from his 'edgy' commentary in his early career as a man headed into middle age, and then add on a few decades of comfortable hacky irrelevancy and he drops any pretense of simulating humor and it's hateful old man rants

this is from his first standup special. warning, casual racism, prop comedy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-0P-p1wQu0&t=1107s

Mr. Fall Down Terror has a new favorite as of 21:35 on Nov 25, 2020

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

The last major thing about Gallagher I remember is he was being interviewed on a podcast and the host asked, pretty politely if I remember, what Gallagher thinks about people saying some of his material is problematic and Gallagher lost his poo poo and walked out

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
that was marc maron, who was getting a little deservedly contentious because gallagher is a lovely unfunny racist and gallagher blew his stack and tantrumed off. gently caress him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

luxury handset posted:

that was marc maron, who was getting a little deservedly contentious because gallagher is a lovely unfunny racist and gallagher blew his stack and tantrumed off. gently caress him

One of Maron’s best episodes imo, even though he’d agree that he was a little aggressive

https://www.vulture.com/2015/11/that-time-gallagher-displayed-his-true-awfulness-and-then-stormed-out-on-marc-maron.html

E: lol I forgot that Gallagher mentions trying to sell his veg-o-magic routine to George Carlin and was shocked when he turned it down. Just imagine living in that reality

christmas boots has a new favorite as of 22:40 on Nov 25, 2020