Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It wouldn't cost a million even in Islington. 3 bedroom houses in Islington go for up to that amount, sure, but not ex-council flats on the edge of dodgy estates (I don't actually know where he lives because I'm not a weirdo, but that style of house is almost exclusively on the edge of dodgy estates because they were built as infill at the end of the 60s council housing boom)

That area is absolutely chock-full of long Victorian terraces built for Mr and Mrs Pooter, which have 50s or 60s units randomly popping up in the middle of them where the bombs fell in the war. If you look at an aerial map it's still possible to follow the line of some individual bombing runs.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It wouldn't cost a million even in Islington. 3 bedroom houses in Islington go for up to that amount, sure, but not ex-council flats on the edge of dodgy estates (I don't actually know where he lives because I'm not a weirdo, but that style of house is almost exclusively on the edge of dodgy estates because they were built as infill at the end of the 60s council housing boom)

I just tried to look up prices in his area (sorta sure he's in Finny P but can't say for sure) and it just reminded me of the weird shithole scumlord configurations that pass for flats at the 'lower' end, for example;

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/100015562#/media?id=media1

I can't really understand any of it. Love the bed level window with the butcher room metal panelling though!

I wouldn't really be surprised if his could go for a million if it's a decent enough place, I live not far from Maryland which is one of the most deprived areas of London and new build one beds are going for £380k...

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
Money is depressing.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Endnote is an ok referencing tool that plugs in to word. Latex is an arcane form of frustration given life that supposedly helps put mathematical formulae into documents but led to nothing but despair for me.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lungboy posted:

Endnote is an ok referencing tool that plugs in to word. Latex is an arcane form of frustration given life that supposedly helps put mathematical formulae into documents but led to nothing but despair for me.

Endnote is an efficient tool for exposing the incredibly shite programming of Word, and every Endnote button pressed is as likely to kill Word and take your last 30 mins work with it as it is to do what you want it to.

That being said, beats doing it by hand

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

SpicePro posted:

I just tried to look up prices in his area (sorta sure he's in Finny P but can't say for sure) and it just reminded me of the weird shithole scumlord configurations that pass for flats at the 'lower' end, for example;

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/100015562#/media?id=media1

I can't really understand any of it. Love the bed level window with the butcher room metal panelling though!

I wouldn't really be surprised if his could go for a million if it's a decent enough place, I live not far from Maryland which is one of the most deprived areas of London and new build one beds are going for £380k...

His next door neighbours which is essentially the same as his but remodelled went for 925k 4 years ago.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/harriline/status/1330936035560316929?s=21

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
More good news

https://twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/1330868969243357184?s=19

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Lol how the gently caress do you keep a straight face while demanding someone apologises for the distress caused to Jewish people by a sentence that, you quote, begins “one antisemite is one too many”?

Jeremy please edit your Facebook post to say “one antisemite is three too many” and then write an open letter asking them if that’s good enough and offering to go up to 7 if that would help

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

ThomasPaine posted:

I genuinely have never heard of anyone getting major corrections let alone an outright fail, to the point that I wonder if they've been unofficially phased out.
I failed,* despite my supervisors saying that it's some of the best work they've ever seen

Basically, my supervisors suck & did zero work in 3 years, & my external was a massive oval office

*resubmit, clock's still ticking

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Also, https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1330930652586369025

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/BareLeft/status/1330941399240421380?s=20

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

vodkat posted:

Latex is better than word. Both are bad.

Why not combine them :unsmigghh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlX_pThh7z8

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

we're all going to die

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1330902937502146560

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

"I did what you and all of the scientists wanted now leave me alone to my delicious Christmas ham"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

so there is basically no way that boris won't be considered worst ever PM right lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Other sources disagree with this.

Different articles for different audiences perhaps?

Iain McNicol implying he should have done more to sit on antisemitism complaints.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The ending of the lockdown on the 2nd seems perfect if you want people to get covid and die on christmas day.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

'Chat is disabled for this live stream.'

booooo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jose posted:

so there is basically no way that boris won't be considered worst ever PM right lol
Second to Lord North at the moment I think.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Jose posted:

50% of the country would gladly walk into death pits for him.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Not So Fast posted:

i don't think he has that much support like trump does. there is just 40% of people so spiteful they vote tory to gently caress others over

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Vaccines will soon be widely available, literally al you need to do is say "I know it is tough to wait, but we've just got to get the vaccine out there and we can go back to normal" and extend lockdown by a month before going to tier 3. But nooo, that's too hard a decision for boris.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

He's held a position of power during a huge crisis so he'll always be remembered and seems to have done a pretty obviously poo poo job while at it so he'll definitely be looked on badly. Without knowing how the course of history will go from here though it's impossible to say exactly what levels of criticism he'll get.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Wow Labour doing a Lowtax Patreon cosplay

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Not So Fast posted:

Not sure I approve of rebranding nursing homes like this

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Trin Tragula posted:

That area is absolutely chock-full of long Victorian terraces built for Mr and Mrs Pooter, which have 50s or 60s units randomly popping up in the middle of them where the bombs fell in the war. If you look at an aerial map it's still possible to follow the line of some individual bombing runs.

Right, but that's a late-70s cottage flat (possibly even early 80s as ISTR that some of them have garages). Like I say, they were generally used as infill once large estates were completed, in the areas that were used for the staging and cranes for the LPS buildings.

That approximate style *does* show up in the middle of bombed-out terraces but normally it's the older 50s system-built ones - the giveaway is an oddly-deep front garden, especially compared to the surrounding buildings, because the lorries would come along and just dump all the materials at the front of each plot.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

His next door neighbours which is essentially the same as his but remodelled went for 925k 4 years ago.

"remodelled" in that context means "split into flats or a 5+ bedroom HMO", I'm willing to bet.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

josh04 posted:

For both LaTeX and its namesake, discomfort is a strong motivator to work faster and a certain percentage of people become unreasonably obsessed.

Honestly, having moved from Word to Vim for my word processing, and thus divorcing content from typesetting, has done wonders for my writing.

That pandoc can do so much in terms of taking format a to format b helps so much.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Vaccines will soon be widely available, literally al you need to do is say "I know it is tough to wait, but we've just got to get the vaccine out there and we can go back to normal" and extend lockdown by a month before going to tier 3. But nooo, that's too hard a decision for boris.

A lot of - maybe most - retailers will go bankrupt if Christmas shopping is curtailed. Now obviously Boris doesn't give a poo poo about that, but the implosion of commercial real estate will gently caress his donors and chums right up, and asking Rishi to bail them out won't work because retailers aren't in his Filofax* and so aren't actually human as far as he's concerned.

* I know it's 30 years since that's been a relevant reference but I defy anyone who lived through the 80s *not* to see Sunak casually laying his Filofax on a wine bar table before ordering Beaujolais Nouveau.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Extremely normal stuff from a healthy party

https://twitter.com/amphitryoniades/status/1330943191130968065

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

communism bitch posted:

I left school at 15 with no qualifications and got accepted into an MA in my mid 30s. I understand the material, understand what I would like to write, and I'm just sitting here staring at an incoherent mess of text with one week till my deadline and feeling utterly hopeless.
If your uni's got an online system of some kind, it's likely to have a section hidden away in the bowels which gives guidelines for writing essays (or other general academic skills), which may be of help. Your teacher / supervisor / whoever else will also be able to help - that's what they're there for! Also, it's the first essay, think of it more as feeling out what you're trying to do and what they're looking for.

Your uni may be able to recommend some books or videos on study skills. At some point (maybe once the essay is over) I'd suggest acquiring a copy of Sönke Ahrens - How To Take Smart Notes from the source of your choice. It's helped me out, there's a lot good stuff in there about the academic process and how it fits in with cognition; a couple of tips that might be helpful:
  • sketch out the structure of the document you want to create, so you're not trying to hold the structure in mind as well as everything else - externalise your thinking onto paper where possible
  • break the process down into small sections, each of which has something achievable; if you get stuck working on one section, just move to another and come back once your brain's had time to think it through
  • the paper-writing process has multiple 'stages' of refinement; don't try and do all the stages on the same bit at once, e.g. rough draft a section, then once it's drafted move onto something else or maybe try editing it, instead of trying to perfect a single sentence or phrase without anything else being there.

vodkat posted:

Latex is better than word. Both are bad. Whatever you do use zotero.
I've just started using Zotero and oh my god is it easier than tracking all that bullshit by hand

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

goddamnedtwisto posted:

"remodelled" in that context means "split into flats or a 5+ bedroom HMO", I'm willing to bet.

The link is here - https://www.themodernhouse.com/past-sales/the-clock-house/

They put an extension on the back and theres a lot of interesting quirky features and stuff. Plus the sort of obnoxious roof terrace. But no Its still just someone's house.

Also it is a 60's terrace, it is set back to match the existing terrace beside it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

lol jeeeesus

i don’t think it’s possible to heal from this, sorry, whether you manage to push out the left or the libs, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Lmao now we're antisemitic against non-Jews?!

Unrelated: seen two people on FB today who've said "nobody's coming near me and my kids with a needle!". How the gently caress did it come to this?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
my god. she has the 10,000GW fusion reactor of brains. so tremendously, spicily powerful!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

stephen pollard aslready did this on twitter

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Surprise T Rex posted:

Lmao now we're antisemitic against non-Jews?!

Unrelated: seen two people on FB today who've said "nobody's coming near me and my kids with a needle!". How the gently caress did it come to this?

hold them to that next time they're at the dentist and need a filling :hehe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

CGI Stardust posted:

I've just started using Zotero and oh my god is it easier than tracking all that bullshit by hand

Zotero is really good. My friend recommended I start using it when I just started on my dissertation and I'm so thankful I did, since my works cited ended up including almost 1300 entries.