Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

please knock Mom! posted:

dude there's annual riots about that poo poo over here

They're probably pro-blackface though, right?

It's fascinating talking to old Europeans about the first time they saw A Black* as children. Like, it might as well have been an elf or a space alien, it was so weird to them because (Northern) Europe was just super white. Super racist, especially later on, but completely different from American anti-black racism. I suspect this also explains (without excusing) the defence of Zwarte Piet: black people aren't seen as really real.

*You know the kind of words they use...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

starkebn posted:

Every place on earth seems to be racist as gently caress, it's depressing

racism is deeply ingrained in our DNA and it will probably never change until humans of all skin colors can band together to be racist against something else. think of a Mass Effect situation where there's not really any racism between humans but we can all agree about needing to put those uppity Krogan in their place

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

Smythe posted:

some of the best shows ive ever seen are ... *braces for mod destruction* gypsy flamenco

hell yeah brother

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

The Nastier Nate posted:

racism is deeply ingrained in our DNA and it will probably never change until humans of all skin colors can band together to be racist against something else. think of a Mass Effect situation where there's not really any racism between humans but we can all agree about needing to put those uppity Krogan in their place

Cold on a Cob posted:

in canada we're much more progressive, where we teach all the recent immigrants to be racist against first nations with the rest of us

(oh and against somali people for some reason)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BonHair posted:

It's fascinating talking to old Europeans about the first time they saw A Black* as children. Like, it might as well have been an elf or a space alien, it was so weird to them because (Northern) Europe was just super white. Super racist, especially later on, but completely different from American anti-black racism. I suspect this also explains (without excusing) the defence of Zwarte Piet: black people aren't seen as really real.

*You know the kind of words they use...

In north america we might have something similar with "gypsies" not being real, to the point that many don't realize "gypsy" is a slur against real people who exist. For us they are magical brown people who tell fortunes and live in horse drawn wagons. Very disappointed to find out "gypsy caravans" are just motor homes now.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Shame Boy posted:

I miss MXC, bring back MXC
https://twitch.tv/onlymxc

this person actually has the license to stream MXC 24/7 on twitch, got partner and ad revenue sharing worked out and everything

sure your post was four pages ago and also this is the capitalism thread but work with me here

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

DACK FAYDEN posted:

this person actually has the license to stream MXC 24/7 on twitch, got partner and ad revenue sharing worked out and everything

sure your post was four pages ago and also this is the capitalism thread but work with me here

thank you, from not 4 pages ago.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

DACK FAYDEN posted:

:vince::piss:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I actually just learned the channel existed last night so it was a real baader-meinhoff moment to see MXC come up here immediately after that. That's life.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

BonHair posted:

Yeah that’s what I meant, sorry

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ah, the robots that are replacing us are cute, so it's OK

https://twitter.com/Quicktake/status/1330854525087985665

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah that’s what I meant, sorry

~Heritage Not Hate~ but said in a goofy dutch accent

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

hold on now

is this fully automated capitalism, or fully automated communism?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

OwO wats dis *notices job*

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Gotta make sure you're operating at a tactical level when you're guarding the Mouse's private property

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

PostNouveau posted:

....other tasks, like tracking their time!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Facebook Aunt posted:

In north america we might have something similar with "gypsies" not being real, to the point that many don't realize "gypsy" is a slur against real people who exist. For us they are magical brown people who tell fortunes and live in horse drawn wagons. Very disappointed to find out "gypsy caravans" are just motor homes now.

Also that they wear scarves and do a lot of crafts.

The Caton Gypsy Market didn't happen in 2019 or 20 but it sure did in 16, 17 and 18.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Marx Was A Lib posted:

hold on now

is this fully automated capitalism, or fully automated communism?

Well it's Russia so whether it is a capitalist hellscape or a communist paradise depends entirely on whether you're in touch with actual reality or if you're a Democrat party voter.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Shima Honnou posted:

Well it's Russia so whether it is a capitalist hellscape or a communist paradise depends entirely on whether you're in touch with actual reality or if you're a Democrat party voter.

:guillotine: but instead it's the Democrat party logo

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/emilycmulligan/status/1330986990397841408

5 dead workers in 2 months. You're 10 times more likely to die riding a bike for Uber in Sydney than being a cop in Australia.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Raise taxes on Uber to cover additional bike lanes and safety devices? Well if you insist.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

It’s unrelated to this hideous topic, but I gotta say I loving hate the cheery music people always seem to jam into these types of videos. it’s emotionally manipulative as hell.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

I guess this is true if you think that people have a limited amount of care credits to spend on caring about things.

I literally have a limited amount of care credits to spend on caring about things lmao. The attention economy is real. And it's not wrong to point out that people's effort is best spent on the racism occurring in their own countries rather than fussing about how much more enlightened they are than their neighbors across the Atlantic.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i've been trying to pay less attention to american economics and politics and spend more attention on canada's, but it's hard when y'all are right there loving around and then letting us find out with you

american racism tends to be more violent than the racism here so it's something my family and friends are legitimately worried about, especially when we have to travel to the usa for work

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Cold on a Cob posted:

i've been trying to pay less attention to american economics and politics and spend more attention on canada's, but it's hard when y'all are right there loving around and then letting us find out with you

american racism tends to be more violent than the racism here so it's something my family and friends are legitimately worried about, especially when we have to travel to the usa for work

sorry buddy, but you have to choose one or the other. We are all permitted only one racist country's racism to think about and discuss at a time, and you may only move onto other racisms once your chosen racism is defeated

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

solidarity with brown people means that only one group of white people can be inspected, analyzed and mocked at a time. anything else is needlessly fussy!

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

gay_crimes posted:

sorry buddy, but you have to choose one or the other. We are all permitted only one racist country's racism to think about and discuss at a time, and you may only move onto other racisms once your chosen racism is defeated

what a ridiculous caricature of the notion that attention is a scarce resource.

devoting your attention to issues that affect you or that you can effect change upon is simply a rational choice.

edit: our adversaries use distraction as a tactic precisely because it works

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

edit: our adversaries use distraction as a tactic precisely because it works

you're not my ally when you're using that technocratic jargon and are circling the wagons to protect white european feelings. gently caress off

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

gay_crimes posted:

you're not my ally when you're using that technocratic jargon and are circling the wagons to protect white european feelings. gently caress off

no you gently caress off

i hate continental europeans and their racism there's just nothing I can do about it from the US

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

keep going im sure this conversation has a productive end you will both be happy with

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

there's just nothing I can do about it from the US

You can stop tossing discussion of it in the bucket of "our adversaries us[ing] distraction" and "fussing about how much more enlightened they are than their neighbors across the Atlantic" for one.

Like I totally get not having the time and emotional work available to care about all the things, but you're kinda also then putting down other people caring about those things as if they're just trying to feel better about themselves or trivializing their own local bullshit or something and that's real weird.

T-man posted:

keep going im sure this conversation has a productive end you will both be happy with

No you gently caress off dad!!!!

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Shame Boy posted:

You can stop tossing discussion of it in the bucket of "our adversaries us[ing] distraction" and "fussing about how much more enlightened they are than their neighbors across the Atlantic" for one.

Like I totally get not having the time and emotional work available to care about all the things, but you're kinda also then putting down other people caring about those things as if they're just trying to feel better about themselves or trivializing their own local bullshit or something and that's real weird.

Look, I do get the impression that the preoccupation with US politics overseas is used as a means for all sorts of hosed up poo poo overseas and I won't apologize for feeling that way.

I'm grateful that you understand the thrust of my argument that emotional work is actually something that has to be mustered, and "we can care about multiple things" is a lame argument to the contrary.

I don't want to dictate anyone else's priorities and I don't want to put anyone down for having the "wrong" priorities. And certainly there are instances where it was correct for us to devote our energy to e.g. ending apartheid than fighting against the "war on drugs" at home.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

Look, I do get the impression that the preoccupation with US politics overseas is used as a means for all sorts of hosed up poo poo overseas and I won't apologize for feeling that way.

I'm grateful that you understand the thrust of my argument that emotional work is actually something that has to be mustered, and "we can care about multiple things" is a lame argument to the contrary.

I don't want to dictate anyone else's priorities and I don't want to put anyone down for having the "wrong" priorities. And certainly there are instances where it was correct for us to devote our energy to e.g. ending apartheid than fighting against the "war on drugs" at home.

Eh fair enough :shobon:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

T-man posted:

No, there's no satisfying conclusion out of this outside directly admitting to making a bad and wrong post. Just loving lol about the "attention economy" not able to spare enough units of care for racism in the wrong place, and concern that this forum is running on limited capacity and needs a hall monitor to come in and focus the herd. You want to talk being a splitter, go ahead and Kramer into a room with people talking about something they care about and tell them they're focused on the wrong thing and are thus letting the enemy win, that's truly being a comrade

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Problem: Indoor dining at restaurants isn't allowed due to COVID-19 health restrictions.

Solution:

https://twitter.com/jameshamblin/status/1330628349937541124

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The US is unironically the top 2 least racist countries in the world. Only Canada might be slightly less racist. Other countries may act less racist, but that's because their very strict citizenship requirements or outright bans on immigration help keep the locals at ease about other races competing with them.

There were more lynchings of blacks in the South post Civil War than pre. Makes you think.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
From a local FB group

Selling antique fishing memorabilia for child surgery money

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BIG HORNY COW posted:

From a local FB group

Selling antique fishing memorabilia for child surgery money

I like the coat hanger for scale

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

gay_crimes posted:

No, there's no satisfying conclusion out of this outside directly admitting to making a bad and wrong post. Just loving lol about the "attention economy" not able to spare enough units of care for racism in the wrong place, and concern that this forum is running on limited capacity and needs a hall monitor to come in and focus the herd. You want to talk being a splitter, go ahead and Kramer into a room with people talking about something they care about and tell them they're focused on the wrong thing and are thus letting the enemy win, that's truly being a comrade

When someone makes the "we can care about two things at once" argument, it's actually important to point out the defects in that viewpoint. I was not the one who brought it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

How! posted:

It’s unrelated to this hideous topic, but I gotta say I loving hate the cheery music people always seem to jam into these types of videos. it’s emotionally manipulative as hell.

I've used the software that makes those videos. There's like 6 song options in the stock library.