Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Oh drat, they fixed the berserker mushroom effects stacking!

I had been saving them up to one shot the Kraken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

Finally started a Manhunter run. Man I had forgotten how finicky it is to get a weak company off the ground. Running with 7 guys now, in some semblance of clothing.

Here's the plan:

Indebted:.
I'm thinking fatigue neutral 2H mace/axe for the ones i can get over 80 MAtk when properly whipped.
Nimble Shieldbros with underdog, dodge and rotate to be able to stay alive for a few rounds. Take student on good ones to reach indomitable.
Not sure how much RAtk is needed for the Firelance to be practical, but I want to try some. Could be a thing for those odd ones with stars in RAtk and MDef. B&B and quickhands would be grand here, but perk starvation.

Whippers:
Swordlance/schythe fearsome builds as my main AOE.
Handgonne sergeant. Maybe one more handgonne if i should luck into 2 named guns, but haven't seen a single one so far. Perhaps also if i find a very good crossbow.
Bespoke builds for whatever awesome weapon I should happen to find. Unlikely to be many.
Will probably want a couple of archers.

Right! Spearwalling indebted is likely to be a mainstay for me then.

I have no doubt. Fearsome as well?

Edit:
Shrooms stack people. Just saw a video of a guy oneshotting the kraken high on like 20 shrooms. There's a thing for those that hate the fight :v:

There is a reference to shroom stacking in today's patch? did they change it so they don't stack any more or did it previously not stack and now it does?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

I have no doubt. Fearsome as well?

Everybody gets fearsome, nimble bros also get overwhelm. I've won fights on round 1 against lightly-armoured enemy groups, because with everyone using polearms I can get into range for one or more (with berserk) AOE attacks with most bros even on the first round, and the combined effects of getting kills and procing fearsome means the entire enemy group is breaking or fleeing by the time the second round starts.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

There is a reference to shroom stacking in today's patch? did they change it so they don't stack any more or did it previously not stack and now it does?

Should be that they do not stack anymore. About a week ago someone had a naked brother with the goblin necklace eat around... 20 shrooms. His brother one shot the Kraken by hitting around 6.4k

Here is the link to the guys post.

Click here

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

quote:

Changelog for 1.4.0.46
Changed Spear Mastery perk to also allow for activating the Spearwall skill when already adjacent to opponents.
Changed Living Tree Shield to regenerate 20 points of durability each turn, up from 4.

Fixed freeze as charmed characters attempt to throw smoke bombs.
Fixed combat potentially ending prematurely if only resurrected Wiedergängers are left.
Fixed some beast parties spawned by contracts not being attackable by other ai parties after the contract that spawned them has been cancelled.
Fixed berserker mushroom effect stacking.
Fixed some other minor issues.
Well, that's that then.

vyelkin posted:

Everybody gets fearsome, nimble bros also get overwhelm. I've won fights on round 1 against lightly-armoured enemy groups, because with everyone using polearms I can get into range for one or more (with berserk) AOE attacks with most bros even on the first round, and the combined effects of getting kills and procing fearsome means the entire enemy group is breaking or fleeing by the time the second round starts.
Warschyte armour pen/dmg make you not miss hammers too? They do break easy, but I guess the armour is worn down enough that you can switch to a regular swordlance at that point.

TheBeardyCleaver fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 18, 2020

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

Warschyte armour pen/dmg make you not miss hammers too? They do break easy, but I guess the armour is worn down enough that you can switch to a regular swordlance at that point.

I mean, I'm not going to claim it's the optimal way to play, I did this as an experiment. But so far I've found polearms can handle pretty much anything, up to and including camps full of chosen or orc warriors. I do still have one guy using a billhook which is good against armour, but generally either the through-armour damage from my throwers does the trick or the cumulative damage from a lot of swordlance/warscythe AOE gets through armour fast enough that it doesn't make a big difference. Imo one of the best things about this bizarre play style is that you can concentrate your attacks against whoever you want, since everybody has a 2-tile attack range. So if the enemy right next to you still has a lot of armour you can just bypass them to kill the guy two hexes away whose armour is already gone, which will trigger killing frenzy and add damage to wear down the remaining enemy's armour.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

My current campaign is going really well. I discovered recently how insanely effective a heavy armor Bro with a pole arm is in the front line. I used to struggle against noble troops and ancient undead but now I just get the polehammers and go to town.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

For the first time ever I beat the Goblin City, and on day 85 no less. First crisis was greenskins so I figured why not. This was the team, I got super lucky to get no losses, one guy got out with 6 hp and another with 15:

Also that's where the fourth firepot I had went! I'd been wondering, used 3 during the fight.

Ixtlilton fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 21, 2020

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Question, if a champion is wearing rare armor and I totally bust it up, is it still in the loot pool? Or do I need to bust out the knives?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Knife time by default I think.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Donkringel posted:

Question, if a champion is wearing rare armor and I totally bust it up, is it still in the loot pool? Or do I need to bust out the knives?

It will always be dropped in the loot pool if it's on a Champion.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

busting out the knives will save you a bunch of tools on repairing it though

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I'm playing a Poachers game with Expert combat difficulty (although Beginner economy, I spend the game constantly starved of money and I don't see why it's fun to not have stuff) and this poo poo is difficult! Contracts usually end up ok, but there aren't many camps I want to take on. I made the decision to start an Expert game cause that seems like the way to get top gear, including uniques, in the late game. But I don't know if I'll get there in one piece.

As usual, my perennial struggle is to get good recruits. 60+ MAttack and stars in MAttack /MDef, with decent health/fatigue/resolve. It seems like every high-end background guy I find has absolute wank stars/rolls. I get that's just bias, it's actually very rare to get someone with good rolls, good stars and decent traits.

Someone on here had a really interesting guide to using Fearsome as a key component of a lot of builds, does anyone have the posts bookmarked or something?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Forget high end backgrounds. You need guys who can hold a line. Farmhand, butchers, brawlers these are all fine shield backgrounds look for mdef stars, fatigue and Mark stars. If someone has sure footing and can hold a shield take them. Give them all Mace's and shields and the heaviest armour you can fit on them. Boost their resolve in the arena, give them fearsome towards the their final level. Boom you have some living roadblocks to hide your ranged behind. Get a dedicated billman for each flank and that'll take you past the first crisis. Remember, each bro has a job he does in tandem with the others. They have to work as a team.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Theifs too, great shield users who start with high def. Also you cant expect more than 60 matk on a lvl 1 dude lol. Just get that out of your head. Anythin over 50 is fine for the first 100 days.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

If they can hit 80 matk by level 11 they’ll be fine as shield bros or even as polearms men. I like to shoot for 90 for duelists and 2handed front liners but it’s fine to build your numbers of those slowly.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
OK, that's good advice for shield-carriers I guess. Honestly, even blokes with decent health/fatigue and acceptable melee seem thin on the ground, I haven't seen many farmhands or brawlers oddly enough. What I'm always short of is the top guys with that good attack and also all-round fatigue, defence, health etc who can be proper heavy-armoured 2-handers.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Genghis Cohen posted:

As usual, my perennial struggle is to get good recruits. 60+ MAttack and stars in MAttack /MDef, with decent health/fatigue/resolve. It seems like every high-end background guy I find has absolute wank stars/rolls. I get that's just bias, it's actually very rare to get someone with good rolls, good stars and decent traits.

Someone on here had a really interesting guide to using Fearsome as a key component of a lot of builds, does anyone have the posts bookmarked or something?
Like the others have said, if they can get to decent levels by 11, that's what counts. When you're rolling in money, or playing LoneWolf, that's when you start shopping for the superstars. The merely good will still get you through pretty much everything. I personally recommend getting the tryout talents mod with 2x cost, but that depends on how you want to play. This one https://www.nexusmods.com/battlebrothers/mods/75 has not given me any issues in latest DLC.

Getting Fearsome to work is really about having >65-70 resolve(more is better), and putting it on people that won't trigger morale checks on every hit(>15 hp damage), so anyone who isn't a thrower, hammerer or dagger duelist pretty much. Those can also benefit from it as resolve will reduce morale on the check, but other perks may be better on those and they still generate enough checks to marginalise the perk a bit.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Genghis Cohen posted:

OK, that's good advice for shield-carriers I guess. Honestly, even blokes with decent health/fatigue and acceptable melee seem thin on the ground, I haven't seen many farmhands or brawlers oddly enough. What I'm always short of is the top guys with that good attack and also all-round fatigue, defence, health etc who can be proper heavy-armoured 2-handers.

The way we talk about them in the thread is as if they are common but they really aren't. A good two hander bro who will break 90 MA, 40 Mdef and enough stamina to wear end game gear isn't all that common. Even amongst the expensive backgrounds like sellswords and nobles. You'll find them more easily now with the various DLC kind of alleviating a bit of that pressure (recruiter follower/nomads etc from blazing deserts.) Speaking of nomads, great generalist background.

Messengers are often good shield bros and billmen so keep an eye out for them too.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Genghis Cohen posted:

I'm playing a Poachers game with Expert combat difficulty (although Beginner economy, I spend the game constantly starved of money and I don't see why it's fun to not have stuff) and this poo poo is difficult! Contracts usually end up ok, but there aren't many camps I want to take on. I made the decision to start an Expert game cause that seems like the way to get top gear, including uniques, in the late game. But I don't know if I'll get there in one piece.

60+ mAtk AND stars is going to be a pretty rare brother. In the early-mid game, you can be comfortable with a brother with 60+ mAtk OR 55+ with at least one star, hopefully more. In the early game, only militia and deserters are going to roll in the sixties, and deserters are usually pretty poo poo outside of that. That being said, you can help ease some of the grind by knowing which brothers have higher minimum or maximum rolls. The stock standard range for mAtk rolls is 47-57. You're really, really going to want any brother to be on the top side of that range, say 54-57. Early game, butchers and militiamen can roll higher than 57 on the mx, while brawlers, graverobbers, killers, wildmen and lumberjacks have higher-than-normal minimum rolls in the low fifties. Both things mean the average mAtk is higher for these backgrounds. I'm sure there are other backgrounds with good mAtk rolls that I'm skipping, but some admittedly have poo poo rolls in other categories, like resolve for deserters or fatigue for miners.

Farmers are really strong early game candidates, just got to watch for poo poo resolve rolls but that's not as important in the early, early game

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

rideANDxORdie posted:

60+ mAtk AND stars is going to be a pretty rare brother. In the early-mid game, you can be comfortable with a brother with 60+ mAtk OR 55+ with at least one star, hopefully more. In the early game, only militia and deserters are going to roll in the sixties, and deserters are usually pretty poo poo outside of that. That being said, you can help ease some of the grind by knowing which brothers have higher minimum or maximum rolls. The stock standard range for mAtk rolls is 47-57. You're really, really going to want any brother to be on the top side of that range, say 54-57. Early game, butchers and militiamen can roll higher than 57 on the mx, while brawlers, graverobbers, killers, wildmen and lumberjacks have higher-than-normal minimum rolls in the low fifties. Both things mean the average mAtk is higher for these backgrounds. I'm sure there are other backgrounds with good mAtk rolls that I'm skipping, but some admittedly have poo poo rolls in other categories, like resolve for deserters or fatigue for miners.

Farmers are really strong early game candidates, just got to watch for poo poo resolve rolls but that's not as important in the early, early game

Miners are better than their stats indicate because generally they'll get a series of events raising their fatigue by up to like 10 points for free from being out of the mines. Plus low fatigue matters less in the early game because you're wearing light armour, and their bonus MAtk can make them a great polearm candidate even with low fatigue.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Agreed, also the zero-stam builds and better access to polearms early means low fatigue is less of a deal break than before thankfully

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I've found polearms with 90+ matk to be the easiest background to find, lots of nomads and pretty much any noble background will hit those numbers with reasonable consistency. Pretty much anyone can hit resolve 60 for nice fearsome procs and people with good attack and fatigue and at least mediocre defense are best left as shield bros.

Also something I normally do but didn't do my last run is dedicated tanks with really high defense and defensive perks who just go forward to get surrounded and take 5-15% chance hits for 3-4 rounds while popping inform, but it is pretty effective and I've legit seen streamers who don't level matk past 60 for that kind of archetype.

Edit: Acceptable 2h brothers are like a 1-2 guys per run sort of rarity though, that hedge knight in my previous post is well worth the 100 denars per day he needs, the greedy bastard.

Ixtlilton fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 23, 2020

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Just finished a 200 day campaign, the best I've ever done. I did the northern raider start.

Things I learned:

2 tile range weapons are really good on 2 hander bros.

Dodge and shield expert are insanely good, I had no idea. They change everything.

I like crossbows far more than regular bows. I find them much more useful. I had 3 crossbowmen at all times and they massacred everything. Regular bows just never got me these kinds of incredible results.

Handgonne is godlike. Worth every coin to get them.

Paymaster and drill sergeant seem like the best retinue choices. I don't know how good most of them are. I don't know how useful scavenger or cook are.

The text under my avatar still remains true. Except the part about skeletons. Those guys are big fuckers. I don't know why but skeleton pike men seem much more deadly than I remember.

Barbarian king is a chump. He's no tougher than a regular chosen.

Hexen are garbage. Not remotely fun or interesting to fight. I avoid them at all times.

Ifrit aren't as tough at I thought they'd be. They are fun though.

Raiding caravans isn't quite as profitable as I thought it would be. Most don't have anything of value.

Can't wait to start another campaign.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The Skeleton King posted:

I like crossbows far more than regular bows. I find them much more useful. I had 3 crossbowmen at all times and they massacred everything. Regular bows just never got me these kinds of incredible results.

This is a common misconception but it's demonstrably untrue; if you understand how and when to use your archers and how to build them. Crossbows for the most part are a trap.

Warbows and Heavy Crossbows have the same raw damage; but bows have lower armour pen and lower damage vs armour. This does mean that crossbows will do more damage against an armoured target; but archers aren't designed to fight heavily armoured targets. The thing with a crossbow is that you'll only ever hit once per round. With a bow, by the time your archer is high level, you ought to be using quick shot exclusively, and you should be reasonably able to hit most shots. So an Archer will be doing at least 2 shots per turn - then you should have also given them beserk and killing frenzy, so a lot of the time they'll be getting off 3 shots, and also have the damage buff from killing frenzy up and running. You can also comfortably fit crippling strikes and executioner into an archer build; and once you've done that archers can very often inflict an injury to a low armour target on the first hit, then the second hit gets the executioner buff. The extra 2 tiles of range (with bow mastery) are also hugely important in being able to hit the high priority targets that bows are intended to be used against. The important thing to remember is that bows aren't meant for hitting high armour targets like Barbarian chosen or orc warriors - I'd suggest the upper limit to good archer targets are billmen in noble armies, or nomads in mail. Enemies with armour in the low 100s.

Now you're probably about to say that there are lots of heavily armoured targets that are harder to kill so you'd rather have the crossbows to deal with them - except crossbows are vastly outclassed by throwing weapons when dealing with heavily armoured targets.

Lets look at the damage stats of a crossbow (with mastery):

50-70 damage; 70% direct damage; 75% armour damage. That means that a max damage roll will do 70 base damage and 49 points of direct damage to a heavily armoured enemy (like a barbarian chosen). It will also do 52 points of armour damage.

Now lets look at Heavy Javelins:

35-50 damage (+40% when attacking an enemy 2 tiles away, +20% when attacking 3 tiles away) 45% armour pen and 80% armour damage). Javelins also have a +20% chance to hit when attacking a target 2 tiles away. Javelins also benefit from duelist for extra armour pen.

so, a max damage roll from a javelin at a 2 tile range with the mastery and duelist will do 70 base damage; and 49 direct damage - exactly the same as the crossbow - but a slightly higher amount of armour damage - 56 points. So basically a javelin is doing the same damage as a crossbow, except you can attack TWICE per turn - and like the bow, you can use beserk and killing frenzy to get in 3 hits per turn, and consistently get the extra damage buff from killing frenzy. With crippling strikes and executioner you have a very high chance of inflicting an injury on a barbarian chosen on the first hit and then getting the extra damage buff from executioner on the second hit. Plus you get a 20% accuracy bonus vs a 12% bonus using a crossbow.

Crossbows are terrible compared to javelins against armoured enemies, and terrible compared to bows against light enemies.

Also while you can make separate dedicated throwers and archers, and there are advantages to doing so, it's also very easy to build hybrid archers throwers - in fact it's the most popular and most powerful approach particularly in a 12 man company. You end up with a bro that carries a bow, 1 stack of arrows, and 2 stacks of javelins, and can freely swap between them to create a versatile fighter that can switch between the two types of weapon freely to attack whatever target is needed. The main disadvantage vs separate archers and throwers is not having room for recover, but you can mitigate that to some degree by hiring bros with good stamina and/or iron lungs.

Then, you also carry throwing axes in your inventory - when you need to fight skeletons, you swap out the bow and the javelins for throwing axes - these are very effective against skeletons.

My build for a hybrid archer/thrower:

Student
Quick Hands
Executioner
Throwing Mastery
Bow Mastery
Nimble
Duelist
Footwork
Beserk
Killing Frenzy
Crippling Strikes

So when you you use crossbows - For the most part you just don't; but they can be useful when leveling up an archer, since you'll be using aimed shot anyway at lower levels. That being said if you're taking the hybrid approach I'd suggest just using throwing weapons at low levels. The other time you use crossbows is if you're fighting small numbers of chunky difficult enemies like unholds; or the Ijirok fight; and you don't have the ability to leave your gunners in reserve (because you haven't hired enough bros yet or you're playing a gladiator/lone wolf campaign). In fights where your guys tend to get thrown around a lot or otherwise have their movement restricted; and/or you can't reliably hit multiple targets with a gun; you would either leave your gunners in reserve, or you'd swap out their handgonnes for crossbows, since they share a mastery.

Also a brief point about your difficulty with skeletons - As mentioned throwing axes are very good, but are you giving your gunners overwhelm? Overwhelm is an overlooked, but very powerful perk that you should be giving your gunners and your swordlancers - it will significantly reduce the enemy's ability to hit you.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 23, 2020

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Just finished a 200 day campaign, the best I've ever done. I did the northern raider start.

Things I learned:

2 tile range weapons are really good on 2 hander bros.
How much range skill do you put on them? Mastery? I've been toying with this idea for those with stars in MAtk, RAtk and MDef, but rather forgot about it. Thinking of it I've had guys ending up with 110 MAtk in the veteran levels, and they could probably stop at ~95 and put the rest into ranged.

Dodge and shield expert are insanely good, I had no idea. They change everything
I'm trying this out for my Unsullied(Indebted). Good to hear it's working out for people. How much Health do you aim for? Initiative goals? I was thinking the value would wear down after a bit, but I may see a lad through the gnarly first rounds.

The text under my avatar still remains true. Except the part about skeletons. Those guys are big fuckers. I don't know why but skeleton pike men seem much more deadly than I remember.
Yea, I found them harder post DLC too. Wrote it off as Fearsome getting buffed, but not really sure. Once you get decent AOE Overwhelm it tends to be trivial though. Flash pots are good for nerfing the bastards too.

The Lord Bude posted:

Many crossbow words

I pretty much agree, except for fights where you think a bit of sniping would be better than a handgonne, and the guy already has the mastery so. I use it a good few goblin fights (except huge numbers) and some chosen fights, others depending on enemy composition. One might argue that archers are better for this, but this lets you focus on training handgonners early, and if there is poor availability of ranged recruits Handgonner>Archer IMO.
Edit: Yea, you already mentioned the sniping upon re-reading post.

TheBeardyCleaver fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 23, 2020

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

How much range skill do you put on them? Mastery? I've been toying with this idea for those with stars in MAtk, RAtk and MDef, but rather forgot about it. Thinking of it I've had guys ending up with 110 MAtk in the veteran levels, and they could probably stop at ~95 and put the rest into ranged.

I'm trying this out for my Unsullied(Indebted). Good to hear it's working out for people. How much Health do you aim for? Initiative goals? I was thinking the value would wear down after a bit, but I may see a lad through the gnarly first rounds.

Yea, I found them harder post DLC too. Wrote it off as Fearsome getting buffed, but not really sure. Once you get decent AOE Overwhelm it tends to be trivial though. Flash pots are good for nerfing the bastards too.

I pretty much agree, except for fights where you think a bit of sniping would be better than a handgonne, and the guy already has the mastery so. I use it a good few goblin fights (except huge numbers) and some chosen fights, others depending on enemy composition. One might argue that archers are better for this, but this lets you focus on training handgonners early, and if there is poor availability of ranged recruits Handgonner>Archer IMO.
Edit: Yea, you already mentioned the sniping upon re-reading post.

For my shooters I usually go for the highest possible ranged skill. One of my guys had 78, one had 93, one had 88.

For shieldbros i usually just slap shield expert and dodge on anyone that wont be used as a 2h, duelist or hybrid. Dodge is pretty useful even when you don't have a ton of initiative. I almost never level initiative and it appears to just work decently anyway. I figure that even if i get only 1 or 2 def out of it that's enough to save a life (or repair costs). It was especially useful on bros that had good starting init. I had an assassin who used heavy armor and a 2hander and still got good use out of dodge because of his good starting init.

Putting overwhelm on my 2 handgonners was hilarious. I could just clown on entire formations with that.

The Lord Bude posted:

Archer Words

You are probably right and Im just not building archers well, but my last campaign was me fighting well armored enemies almost 80% of the time. Almost always i was fighting zombies, barbarians, orcs, nomads and noble houses. Being able to kill or cripple enemies with a single action was godlike. Goblins were especially fun because id shred all of their non-archers in just a couple rounds, often killing them with a single bolt.

Normally i use regular bows to try sniping poorly armored enemies like archers and billmen, but i found that they just weren't doing great at it. In the end i found myself often ignoring archers because my guys were very good at just marching right through their bullshit and beating them up. Instead I'd use crossbows on frontliners who were not shieldwalling and getting great results, or to kill or cripple billmen who got out of formation.

I also usually combine bows with overwhelm which is nice but I prefer just to blow something's brains out instead. The best use i ever really get out of bows is against orc berzerkers because they are idiots and never try to avoid being shot. Even then, i could kill them faster with crossbows, which would then be useful against warriors.

Also I often gave my bow archer crossbow mastery in addition to bow mastery in case I wanted to use the bow.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Late game for me if i was going up against a formation with no soft targets to poke holes in, i'd just swap the archers for throwers/more pikemen.

Crossbows are a lazier way of doing it that are always "somewhat" efficient, i'll give you that.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
All ancient undead have fearsome now and even the lowly auxilliary has 60 resolve, so you're getting mandatory resolve checked on pretty much every hit with a -12 penalty AT BEST. Honor Guards will be sapping your resolve by 20 on checks

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

For my shooters I usually go for the highest possible ranged skill. One of my guys had 78, one had 93, one had 88.
Yes, but you spoke of using 2 tile ranged weapons(I assume throwing) on 2handers. What kind of ranged skill was the minimum for those? An Indebted I have gets to 78 when whipped, and does well enough, but misses a fair bit. Pumping ranged on a 2handers would mean sacrificing other stats on an already stat hungry build.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I assumed they were talking about polearms

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Tin Tim posted:

I assumed they were talking about polearms

Polearm/hammer and quickhands. Yes. Had I been intelligenter I might have realised that. Well that's anticlimactic. Nevermind me then.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I enjoy getting the nomad contracts where the ifrits show up and watching nomads all base up the hulk-sized combined ifrits and get one shot every time the ifrit gets a turn.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

Yes, but you spoke of using 2 tile ranged weapons(I assume throwing) on 2handers. What kind of ranged skill was the minimum for those? An Indebted I have gets to 78 when whipped, and does well enough, but misses a fair bit. Pumping ranged on a 2handers would mean sacrificing other stats on an already stat hungry build.

Oh! By 2-tile ranged I meant polearms. I just called them something different because polehammers and, polemaces, and long axes don't technically count as polearms.

Also I didn't use quickhands. One of my 2handers had hammer mastery and one had axe mastery so I would just staight up give them polehammers and long axes respectively. I had a legendary of both and they were the pride of my company. Later i replaced the long axe with a bardiche. Anytime I fought enemies that used shields or polearms I just switched those in and they killed everything.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 25, 2020

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Did they remove werewolfs?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Buller posted:

Did they remove werewolfs?

No; there’s just fewer of them now as a consequence of having more enemy types. They also tend only to appear in the more northern part of the map.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Luckily there's hyenas which are the same thing but brown

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Luckily there's hyenas which are the same thing but brown

Not really? Their AI behaves very differently; the damage characteristics of their attacks are different and they drop different pelts which are used in different crafting recipes.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
I literally havent seen a werewolf since installing the 2nd DLC like 2 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Buller posted:

I literally havent seen a werewolf since installing the 2nd DLC like 2 years ago.

There are fewer, but I find enough. Even found them after the third crisis, so it's not too bad. But bad enough that you never sell the pelts :v: