Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

"No, you fool! Not there! That's where we put the car batteries!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/cb5Lo0Z.mp4

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ultrafilter posted:

By falling on them?

The trailer is a tank fuckling machine.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

How do I get certified on one of those bad boys?

Usually goes something like this.

"poo poo Bill didn't show up today. John get in the back hoe. "

"Well loving figure it out."

Excavators are just about the easiest thing to run.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This machine fuckles tanks

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I was watching with my daughter and I say "That's what the escape hatch is for!"

Escape hatch fails to open...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It feels safe to assume that it would only be openable from the inside.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't fascism, open inside

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
pǝʇɐǝɟǝp uǝǝq sɐɥ ɯsᴉɔsɐɟ
sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟI

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

"Oh bugger, the tank is on fire inverted."

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Merkava’s are weird because the engine is at the front, they have doors at the back so can get out that way.

I worked for a .ca mil contractor way back when and they had a bunch of armoured vehicles on site for integration testing. I wasn’t there for it so heard 2nd hand but apparently when they were loading up a Leopard C1 on the back of a transport truck the tank driver ramped that sucker onto it and practically caught air. It did not roll over or fuckle the truck though, so was more of a potential safety issue rather than an immediate one.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

tank driver guns the engine, this is ominously heard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IjE3KWxgdM

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I look forward to the video where the tow truck that is called to put this tank right side up falls over.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

I look forward to the video where the tow truck that is called to put this tank right side up falls over.

Can you put a tank in park and if so will the tank operators remember to do so?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Maxwells Demon posted:

Can you put a tank in park and if so will the tank operators remember to do so?

I actually used to be an a tanker in the US army once upon a time on the Abrams (2000-2004). I'm amazed at how badly the driver in that video hosed up. My guess is that it was not one of the crew members driving considering they had the tank in neutral at the beginning. I'd be surprised if the IDF has weak-rear end training. IME you do a lot of work in simulators before ever being allowed to drive a real tank. So I suspect it was either a basic training accident, or they let someone not licensed to drive the tank try it out because "it's easy". It actually is pretty drat easy to drive a tank, but rail or trailer loading a tank is difficult/risky as hell since the tank barely fits on the cars/trailer.

Anyway...

You can put a tank in park. Basically every modern tank has an automatic transmission. Righting a rolled tank is not an easy task and will probably require at least 2-3 recovery vehicles (think a tank without a turret and crane/hoist/winch). Whatever happened, someone's getting in a lot of trouble (probably the tank commander, or whoever let someone so inexperienced drive the tank).

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Did the diesel engine runaway once it was upside down or did the driver brace himself against the throttle?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I really want to know if it was the classic "floor the accelerator thinking it's the brake" manoeuvre.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

PittTheElder posted:

I really want to know if it was the classic "floor the accelerator thinking it's the brake" manoeuvre.

Fuckin' floor mat got stuck under the brake

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Driver dropped his beer

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Cat Hatter posted:

Did the diesel engine runaway once it was upside down or did the driver brace himself against the throttle?

It appears to be running away or at least burning its oil supply.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/3mhesIR.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/wh0HdOj.gifv

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

dog nougat posted:

I actually used to be an a tanker in the US army once upon a time on the Abrams (2000-2004). I'm amazed at how badly the driver in that video hosed up. My guess is that it was not one of the crew members driving considering they had the tank in neutral at the beginning. I'd be surprised if the IDF has weak-rear end training. IME you do a lot of work in simulators before ever being allowed to drive a real tank. So I suspect it was either a basic training accident, or they let someone not licensed to drive the tank try it out because "it's easy". It actually is pretty drat easy to drive a tank, but rail or trailer loading a tank is difficult/risky as hell since the tank barely fits on the cars/trailer.

Anyway...

You can put a tank in park. Basically every modern tank has an automatic transmission. Righting a rolled tank is not an easy task and will probably require at least 2-3 recovery vehicles (think a tank without a turret and crane/hoist/winch). Whatever happened, someone's getting in a lot of trouble (probably the tank commander, or whoever let someone so inexperienced drive the tank).

i legit wonder if it was a case of the tank crew simply not being there for whatever reason and they needed to get the drat thing loaded up right that moment, so someone made the call to put someone without the necessary experience behind the controls because it's just supposed to be moving it forward very slowly

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

CommieGIR posted:

It appears to be running away or at least burning its oil supply.

It's an Israeli tank, it can burn oil for up to 8 days

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

priznat posted:

Merkava’s are weird because the engine is at the front, they have doors at the back so can get out that way.

It must be a little bit different after rolling over - the driver needs to figure out the way across the turret 'well' in this upside down world, while shaken (hopefully not concussed) by the tank fuckling.

But it's still running so it's not a total loss. All they need to do now is to reverse the trailer at a high speed at the tank so it turns over again.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Scroll up mate.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

canyoneer posted:

lorf

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Anyone have good recommendations for good OSHA books, preferably those that do a deep dive and analysis of a single industrial accident or wreck? I prefer the type that puts it in a historical context rather than just technical descriptions of what went wrong.

Books on similar topics I've liked in the past are Tom's River, Tragedy at Honda, and so on. The more obscure, the better, as long as the writing of the book is sufficiently well researched.

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

canyoneer posted:

:jewish: Mazel Tov! :dadjoke:

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Log082 posted:

Anyone have good recommendations for good OSHA books, preferably those that do a deep dive and analysis of a single industrial accident or wreck? I prefer the type that puts it in a historical context rather than just technical descriptions of what went wrong.

Books on similar topics I've liked in the past are Tom's River, Tragedy at Honda, and so on. The more obscure, the better, as long as the writing of the book is sufficiently well researched.

if you're willing to get historical, By Permission of Heaven: The True Story of the Great Fire of London by Adrian Tinniswood

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Historical is great, that's gone on the list, thanks. I'm digging through my library for more recommendations of my own.

I went on a train wreck kick for a bit, and The Day the Whistles Cried: The Great Cornfield Meet at Dutchman's Curve: The Story of America's Deadliest Train Wreck as a very good historical account of an obscure disaster, as is Lost at Thaxton: The Dramatic True Story of Virginia's Forgotten Train Wreck.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Scroll up mate.

Lol my bad. Was scrolling quick today and missed the post.

https://i.imgur.com/41PRHqL.mp4

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 24, 2020

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Someone needs to add Chariots of Fire to this.

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Log082 posted:

I read Tragedy At Pike River Mine: How And Why 29 Men Died earlier this year and it's pretty thorough in cataloguing the absolutely wrong-headed decisions that led to the disaster. Its 10th anniversary passed recently.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Some days you just can't rid of a bomb.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mega loving cursed diver panic video, she makes it to the surface in the end.

:nms: :nms: :nms:

https://imgur.com/gallery/tZngRJb

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

Mega loving cursed diver panic video, she makes it to the surface in the end.

:nms: :nms: :nms:

https://imgur.com/gallery/tZngRJb

WHY WOULD YOU TAKE OFF YOUR BREATHER??

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Might have just been knocked out or something, and then the panic set in and she wouldn’t accept it in her mouth because her brain was off.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Fat Loser posted:

:jewish: Mazel Tov! :dadjoke:

:jewish: With a gun like that, it should be Muzzle Tov :dadjoke::hf::dadjoke:

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 24, 2020

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Nah you can see them take it out of their own mouth

definitely a panic response thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I can’t get over the look in her eyes when she rips the rebreather out. It’s like a reverse version of the nightmare fear factory guy.