Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hand Row posted:

What the hell, can’t say I came here expecting bitching about the defense when there was four freaking turnovers in the game they had to deal with while coming up with two of their own.

Anyway I don’t know why the Packers were clocking the ball in the last drive in regulation, especially the second time. There was more than enough time and it cost them an extra try for a touchdown. They are normally so good in those situations I was stunned. 42 seconds at the 15 and you clock the ball??

You didn't expect bitching about a defense who gave up 34 points to the world's largest turn over production facility while being incapable of stopping them from having 10+ minute drives or even bother to cover receivers less than 10 yards from the line of scrimmage because that some how isn't 'in the game plan'?
Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
When your offense and special teams has four turnovers, numerous other boneheaded plays, the defense does get two turnovers, almost had a miracle td to win it but still allows the offense to get the ball back, well yes.

Second half: 3 and out, 3 and out, fumble on kickoff, turnover on downs by throwing on 4 and 1, miracle bomb to MVS that leads to field at end of regulation, fumble in OT.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 23, 2020

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

sponges posted:

Cousins is the last QB you want leading a game winning drive

I saw people saying "well you can't blame Cousins for that loss" and sure, but he also didn't get the win. He never does. If your receivers have to constantly make spectacular diving one handed catches on the sideline it's because the quarterback is actually not accurate and it's been a problem with Cousins since day one. We lost Thielen twice last year when he got injured diving for bad throws from Cousins on routes where the ball needed to hit him in stride not be 2 feet off the ground 6 feet in front of him. Every bad tendency Cousins has is amplified a million times under pressure.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

PupsOfWar posted:

I think it's fine to have an unreliable boom-or-bust type guy who you can just send out on various go routes and deep posts all game

trouble is you don't want that guy to be your #2

In fairness Lazard is no. 2 but it was his first week back in some time.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Abugadu posted:

Yeah, the pass rush has disappeared again. Watching Z right now feels eerily similar to watching an older Clay Matthews ineffectively bashing against an average LT repeatedly.

Lol did anyone else see the play where Old Man Rivers ran a block and Z just kinda bounced off of him and couldn’t get past? loving truck him and get to the ball carrier, what is even happening?

And also yeah, I noticed Preston lumbering after a TE or WR in coverage, again, what the hell is even happening.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hand Row posted:

When your offense and special teams has four turnovers, numerous other boneheaded plays, the defense does get two turnovers, almost had a miracle td to win it but still allows the offense to get the ball back, well yes.

Second half: 3 and out, 3 and out, fumble on kickoff, turnover on downs by throwing on 4 and 1, miracle bomb to MVS that leads to field at end of regulation, fumble in OT.

The Packers offense dropped 31 on at minimum a top 5 defense. Did you want them to score 62 or something?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

SKULL.GIF posted:

The Packers offense dropped 31 on at minimum a top 5 defense. Did you want them to score 62 or something?

Probably would have settled for 35. :dance:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SKULL.GIF posted:

35 would have been good, I would settle for 34.

Though I don’t really get this 31 is a lot of points! In a vacuum that’s true but in a specific game you can watch not really

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

PupsOfWar posted:

I think it's fine to have an unreliable boom-or-bust type guy who you can just send out on various go routes and deep posts all game

trouble is you don't want that guy to be your #2

Yeah, MVS seems like a decent enough third or fourth option in an offense.

Big Beef City posted:

You didn't expect bitching about a defense who gave up 34 points to the world's largest turn over production facility while being incapable of stopping them from having 10+ minute drives or even bother to cover receivers less than 10 yards from the line of scrimmage because that some how isn't 'in the game plan'?
Really?

Indy is in the top half of the league in yards and bottom half in turnovers. Rivers is clearly washed, but Indy isn't trotting out a terrible offense. They are top five in average points per game.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1330958369616764928

It's time

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/JJStankevitz/status/1330960766074314758

MITCH!!!!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Seems fairly obvious to me that both the Packers offense AND defense suck rear end.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sataere posted:

Yeah, MVS seems like a decent enough third or fourth option in an offense.

Indy is in the top half of the league in yards and bottom half in turnovers. Rivers is clearly washed, but Indy isn't trotting out a terrible offense. They are top five in average points per game.

Yeah Indy is a good football team though watching them.....they look mediocre.

It’s weird

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

MJeff posted:

Seems fairly obvious to me that both the Packers offense AND defense suck rear end.

Don’t forget special teams!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I want to watch mitch play again

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah Indy is a good football team though watching them.....they look mediocre.

It’s weird

It is really hard to wrap my head around. It goes to show how much being dominant on both lines can really do for a team. This team would be the front runner to the Super Bowl if Luck was still around.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

:ohdear: Mitch is going to improbably destroy the Packers.

:getin: But then the Bears will give him a 5-year, $100 million extension.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I mean the Bears could trot out a no qb set the whole game and just crash up the middle and probably fair pretty well.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Here is an article taking the contrary view to a lot of immediate fan reaction to the game yesterday: that the Packers actually played well (turnovers notwithstanding) and that this is a positive sign for the rest of the season. This is, also, the view Rodgers took when he was interviewed after the game.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/by-the-numbers/2020/11/23/21591499/packers-colts-a-2010-style-loss-should-provide-fans-reasons-for-hope

I've been harping on how the offense wasn't the problem yesterday, and these stats seem to support that:

https://twitter.com/rcon14/status/1330904567643516934

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Looks like Pettine got a talking to

https://twitter.com/ByRyanWood/status/1330980696094072839

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Fat Mike posting still belongs in the Nfc North thread imo

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1330989346451812355?s=21

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

While I think blaming the defense for the loss in particular is dumb this is good playing that far back was insane

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

fennesz posted:

I was really surprised at that as well. At the very least just get the guys to the line and throw a quick one to Davante at the sideline. You either get 8+ yards or it's incomplete and the clock stops.

Maybe 20 years ago... In today's NFL, you can't snap a football without pointing at the defenders for awhile, then faking a snap, then pointing for another five seconds.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Pops Mgee posted:

Fat Mike posting still belongs in the Nfc North thread imo

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1330989346451812355?s=21

Great, now he's going to keep doing it until he maims a kicker or whatever Jack Del Rio did with that ax in Jacksonville.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

Here is an article taking the contrary view to a lot of immediate fan reaction to the game yesterday: that the Packers actually played well (turnovers notwithstanding) and that this is a positive sign for the rest of the season. This is, also, the view Rodgers took when he was interviewed after the game.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/by-the-numbers/2020/11/23/21591499/packers-colts-a-2010-style-loss-should-provide-fans-reasons-for-hope

I've been harping on how the offense wasn't the problem yesterday, and these stats seem to support that:

while there's definitely some stuff to be worried about in this Colts loss, i have been generally optimistic about the ability to put 31 points on that D

last season it felt like the packers' offense just evaporated completely whenever they came up against any team with any talent on defense whatsoever, which clearly is not the biggest issue this season

might be a wash, since the packers D has failed to build on their limited progress from last year

but ultimately "we lose to good teams when we commit several weird turnovers" is not the worst problem for a football team to have

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 24, 2020

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

PupsOfWar posted:

but ultimately "we lose to good teams when we commit several weird turnovers" is not the worst problem for a football team to have

Every team has this problem

Beethovens Fist Symphony
Oct 21, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Looks like god took a small break from punishing the Lions this week to smite the Vikings a bit more

Haven't seen if this is the "was in the same room with someone whose friend's roommate had covid and we're just being cautious" designation or the "currently has a rampant infection and will be dead by next week" designation but sure why not.

Might mean more targets for Jefferson though, that's cool right? :shepicide:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

While I think blaming the defense for the loss in particular is entirely correct and has been for a decade now, this is good playing that far back was egregious

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

PupsOfWar posted:

This is a good take. I think that's why I'm blaming the offense - defense has to cover for those turnovers. And if they're already our weakness asking them to do too much is just straight up not going to work.

That's like asking Nick Foles to be your QB. You know it's not his strength, so why do it?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The fact your saying this further proves my point

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

The fact your saying this further proves my point

:ironicat:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I didn’t know we are posting enemies.

Or are you just like mad in general

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

PupsOfWar posted:

while there's definitely some stuff to be worried about in this Colts loss, i have been generally optimistic about the ability to put 31 points on that D

last season it felt like the packers' offense just evaporated completely whenever they came up against any team with any talent on defense whatsoever, which clearly is not the biggest issue this season

might be a wash, since the packers D has failed to build on their limited progress from last year

Yeah, I agree with this take.

- The offense is not a problem for this team. It's clearly not such an insanely overwhelming strength that it can counteract failures elsewhere, but it's a very good offense. Rodgers is having a renaissance season and I would say that he's about 80% of where he was at his absolute peak, which is still a top-five quarterback and better than he's been the past couple of years. Adams is having a freakishly good season. The other pass-catchers are all inconsistent but there's enough potential between Lazard/MVS/Tonyan that we can eke out a little production from somebody most of the time. Jones is excellent but I haven't seen evidence that he can take over games like the tippity-top guys; still, it's a major strength of the offense that he can contribute in multiple ways. The offensive line has been great despite a lot of injuries and turnover. I desperately wish we had gotten Will Fuller, and I think that the absence of Tyler Ervin and his misdirection plays has a disproportionately large effect on the offense's production, but I think it's legitimately a top-five unit in the league overall.

- The special teams is a minor issue; I think the field-goal kicking unit is great, the punting unit is inconsistent, and the return units (both receiving and coverage) are below-average.

- The defense is the biggest issue; we're not getting enough pressure on the quarterback, we can't stop the run, the secondary doesn't have enough depth, and the play-calling isn't making good adjustments. We're also not getting enough turnovers, but I agree with the number-crunchers that turnovers are a totally unreliable stat that doesn't mean much. The only positive thing I can say about the defense is that we haven't had the completely blown coverages on the back-end that we were having a couple of years ago.

edit: that said, I also agree that in this particular game, the defense was not the biggest problem. I would point the finger at special teams, which contributed a turnover and a whole lot of bad field position.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 24, 2020

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

gently caress the packers, let's all reminisce about how the Lions have ruined our Thanksgivings over the years

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

A few years after my grandpa died, my grandma remarried because she has always been a very co-dependant person and dislikes being alone. She desperately wanted to host us for Thanksgiving, but the rule was no football in the house, because it upset/annoyed the turd she was with (she has long since divorced him). Well, my uncle was never one for following rules, and loved the Lions, so on went the game! Cue three hours of sulking from my grandma's husband while she was forced into playing peacemaker as we all watched the Lions probably lose. I mean, statistically speaking, that's almost certainly what happened that game

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Pride of Detroit, the Lions' SB Nation site, usually carries water for the team to an annoying degree, but they jumped ship a long time ago, and one of their writers put out a piece yesterday basically saying what most of us in the thread figured out a while ago: at this point, if you're still a Lions fan and get genuinely disappointed at watching them lose, that's kind of on you.

https://twitter.com/PrideOfDetroit/status/1330877526542077955

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

mercenarynuker posted:

gently caress the packers, let's all reminisce about how the Lions have ruined our Thanksgivings over the years

I have a very clear memory of Thanksgiving in 2012 at my aunt and uncle's house. That was the infamous Thanksgiving game against Houston where Jim Schwartz threw a challenge flag on a fumble return TD by Houston that very clearly wasn't a fumble, and the referee said "we usually review scoring plays buuuuuut not this time because you were a fussy baby about it Jim". The Lions went on to lose in OT.

My uncle died of an aggressive stomach cancer the following June, and my aunt fell back into alcoholism after his death and sued their children over his estate (and my mom, who was executor) some time in fall 2013. Thanks Jim.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I know that was a boneheaded move by Schwartz and I know that they changed it after that season, but how in sweet gently caress do you have a rule in the first place that a play is automatically subject to video review unless a coach throws the 'hey, you should review that' flag?

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I'm more than willing to let the Packer's fan eat themselves, but it kinda feels like when the Packers decided they were gonna win a shootout, and then didn't shoot enough they sorta didn't score enough points?

Anyhoo, don't care because my lord and savior Mitch is gonna drop 9 points on the Packers this week and win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

This Thanksgiving is the five year anniversary of the greatest football game ever played: Favre Night.